PDA

View Full Version : Heated Grips took a crap.

taxfree4
11-01-2022, 10:17 AM
First it started with the left, then both went out. The light on the switch, which has 3 lights indicating lo-hi, keeps blinking. Any suggestions would be helpful. The upside is the bike had built in heated gear ports, thank you Dwayne.

KeyWasted
11-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Might be obvious, but have you checked for loose wires behind the switch?

taxfree4
11-01-2022, 03:56 PM
Might be obvious, but have you checked for loose wires behind the switch?

Yes, also checked amphenol right under switch. What I didn't do is take the seat off and trace it out, which is what l do tomorrow.

taxfree4
11-02-2022, 11:31 AM
The right grip started working again today, the left nothing. Now when I ride I feel like I had a stroke with the left hand cold and the right hand warm.

KeyWasted
11-02-2022, 12:18 PM
It might be easier to move to Florida than to diagnose the problem. ;)

taxfree4
11-02-2022, 12:30 PM
It might be easier to move to Florida than to diagnose the problem. ;)

That is an option, I have the seat off and I'm tracing out the wires, this should be fun.

taxfree4
11-02-2022, 01:04 PM
JUST FOR YOUR INFO:

Left heated grip wire is black with a green tracer, which is getting no power right now
Right grip is the White wire with the green tracer, which is getting 11.9 volts

taxfree4
11-02-2022, 05:02 PM
Video of connection locations

https://youtube.com/shorts/HV_-YQ4ufv8?feature=share

taxfree4
11-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Good news and bad news. Good news is by simple deduction it wound up being a faulty grip. Swapped out the connectors at the location in the video above and the right still worked fine but the left was dead. Bad news is the part, just for the left grip is $216.00

willtill
11-03-2022, 05:46 PM
Good news and bad news. Good news is by simple deduction it wound up being a faulty grip. Swapped out the connectors at the location in the video above and the right still worked fine but the left was dead. Bad news is the part, just for the left grip is $216.00

Good Gawd! What part failed?

taxfree4
11-03-2022, 05:54 PM
Good Gawd! What part failed?

Left grip, this might have started with the Heli-bars install

Eternalydamd
11-04-2022, 01:57 PM
My grips stopped working after the heli-bars install as well. In my case both stopped working though, it started as they weren't getting as hot, now they don't heat up at all. The lights on the switch still work fine, they aren't blinking or anything. I think I'm just goanna have them replaced.

taxfree4
11-04-2022, 05:03 PM
My grips stopped working after the heli-bars install as well. In my case both stopped working though, it started as they weren't getting as hot, now they don't heat up at all. The lights on the switch still work fine, they aren't blinking or anything. I think I'm just goanna have them replaced.

The problem was I was lazy, the throttle grip is closer to the connection under the right pocket, which give it more slack. Instead of loosening the clutch side bar on the heli's, where I wouldn't have to tug the grip, and propbably pop a wire to slip it on, I just stretched it and because I did it in warm weather I never checked it. Stupid question, you checked the fuse right? Middle bank 4th one down 5 amp.

Eternalydamd
11-07-2022, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I checked the fuse, they slowly crapped out on me, I had a shop install the bars, I work too much and want to ride when I'm not working so don't have the time to work on it myself sadly.

taxfree4
11-07-2022, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I checked the fuse, they slowly crapped out on me, I had a shop install the bars, I work too much and want to ride when I'm not working so don't have the time to work on it myself sadly.

They probably stretched the grips, instead of loosening the cross bar on the helis, like I did, and it caused a slight problem to get worse over time. I'll never do that twice.

Eternalydamd
11-07-2022, 07:08 PM
That might be it, I just purchased a new controller unit on webike I'm hoping that fixes the issue as it's less than $30 with shipping instead of the hundreds for the entire set

wjduke
11-13-2022, 06:17 PM
Just seeing this now. I hardly ever used the heated grips, but whatever is on the bike is the way it came when I bought it. I never used the plug in ports for the gear either.

taxfree4
11-13-2022, 09:22 PM
Just seeing this now. I hardly ever used the heated grips, but whatever is on the bike is the way it came when I bought it. I never used the plug in ports for the gear either.

Plug in ports work fine Wayne. This was probably my screw up when I put the Heli-Bars on, the right one works and the left doesn't. They were working fine before the bar install. I actually have my sons chipping in for a new one for Christmas.

Eternalydamd
11-22-2022, 06:23 PM
Welp, wasn't the new controller unit, was a little triangular piece of metal, looks like I'm going to have to either purchase a new OEM which are out of stock most places, or find a good aftermarket set. Anyone have suggestions on the best and not too expensive after market sets?

taxfree4
11-23-2022, 10:37 AM
I found both grips for $218.00, let me recheck that

taxfree4
11-25-2022, 07:02 AM
Welp, wasn't the new controller unit, was a little triangular piece of metal, looks like I'm going to have to either purchase a new OEM which are out of stock most places, or find a good aftermarket set. Anyone have suggestions on the best and not too expensive after market sets?

Wingstuff has the Inferno set with the controller for $80, 4 out of 5 stars, https://wingstuff.com/products/34741-inferno-heated-grips-w-e-z-controller.

Eternalydamd
11-29-2022, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I'll have to go with those, I looked at them before for my old bike.

taxfree4
11-29-2022, 08:03 PM
How bad could they be? If I can't find the left grip any cheaper than $200 I'm going to pull the trigger on them.

maxrider
11-29-2022, 09:55 PM
From the looks of it, and most likely by design, you should be able to just splice those new ones into your existing wiring, without having to do the external control switch.

Seems like a very affordable solution to OEM.

taxfree4
11-30-2022, 09:59 AM
From the looks of it, and most likely by design, you should be able to just splice those new ones into your existing wiring, without having to do the external control switch.

Seems like a very affordable solution to OEM.

I was wondering that same thing, I'm trying to see if the clips are the same.

maxrider
11-30-2022, 11:38 PM
If not no biggie, make your own connection, it is all hidden under the lid, and you cannot screw it up too bad, 2 wires:).

Or contact EC, and see if they have an adaptor plug for it, might be an option.

Eternalydamd
12-01-2022, 03:03 PM
Well, I ordered the inferno set from wingstuff, after I get them installed (probably after Christmas) I'll let you all know how they work

taxfree4
12-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Well, I ordered the inferno set from wingstuff, after I get them installed (probably after Christmas) I'll let you all know how they work

Please do, that would be very helpful

Eternalydamd
01-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Took my bike in to get the inferno heated grips installed ( https://wingstuff.com/products/34741-inferno-heated-grips-w-e-z-controller ) I didn't notice in the description that they don't fit bikes with factory heated grips...So after cutting the right grip off the throttle tube they noticed that the inferno doesn't fit around it. I guess they used wider throttle tubes for the heated grips. They tried to sand it down, but it was no dice, still has about 2 mm to sand down and we are afraid it'll lose to much structure to work properly. So I suggested getting factory non heated grip with the throttle tube in it and use that...It's taken over a week for that to come in now, so I've been without my bike for almost two weeks. The supplier said that the grip came in, but Honda didn't ship the invoice with it so they won't send it to the shop until that comes in, so weird.

Once it's been installed and I have a free day (no idea when that will be with how busy work is) I'll head up to the mountains and snow to see how well they work and let you all know.

taxfree4
01-16-2023, 03:21 PM
I guess I will have the same problem because the stock heated grips fit perfectly on the Heli-bars. If you need stock handle bars I'll send them to you free. Looks like I'm going to have to go for the OEM heated grip.

Eternalydamd
01-16-2023, 04:11 PM
I've got helibars as well, it's not the bars themselves that are the issue, it's the throttle tube that the grips go around, the grips in that kit don't have a throttle tube, they are meant to just go over the stock non-heated one.

taxfree4
01-16-2023, 04:57 PM
I've got helibars as well, it's not the bars themselves that are the issue, it's the throttle tube that the grips go around, the grips in that kit don't have a throttle tube, they are meant to just go over the stock non-heated one.

Gotcha, thanks for the update and looking forward to the final result.

Eternalydamd
01-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the update and looking forward to the final result.

Just got a call from the shop, the OEM right grip came in and the inferno heated grips fit over the stock non-heated throttle tube, so I'm just waiting for them to finish the install and I can go get my bike back.

taxfree4
01-18-2023, 09:10 PM
Beauty, looking forward to the results

Eternalydamd
01-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Okay, so they were installed, and I rode up the local mountains this weekend as well as late at night with temps in the high 30s and they worked so well that I had to turn the warmers down because my hands got too hot, and least on the palms and inside of my fingers....doesn't help the outside too much, however at least my hands no longer freeze down to the bone, so that's nice.

maxrider
01-23-2023, 06:52 PM
So it is an alternative to OEM correct, and a bit cheaper, right?

Did they splice the wires?

Eternalydamd
01-23-2023, 08:14 PM
So it is an alternative to OEM correct, and a bit cheaper, right?

Did they splice the wires?

They are about $100 so much cheaper than OEM (especially since you can't get the full OEM kit) it came in a full kit with the grips and controller included, so no splicing. The only issue I had was I had the OEM headed grips, and their grip didn't fit over the throttle tube, so I purchased a stock non-heated right grip and used that throttle tube. That worked perfectly.

Eternalydamd
03-06-2023, 05:51 PM
Update: With less than 2 months time on the bike, and around 1,000 miles (not always being used) the Inferno headed grips failed. The right grip no longer even gets warm. DO NOT BUY.

taxfree4
03-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Update: With less than 2 months time on the bike, and around 1,000 miles (not always being used) the Inferno headed grips failed. The right grip no longer even gets warm. DO NOT BUY.

Thanks for that, you took the hit but saved a lot of people time, money and aggravation. Buy that man a beer.

Eternalydamd
04-26-2023, 01:35 PM
Figured out why the right grip failed, wire was pulled out, therefor it lost power. Manufacturer's defect. Wingstuff said they'd send me a new one, but I have to completely take out the old one first, send it back, then they'll send the new one, I can't be without my bike for the week to two weeks it's going to take and I really don't want to have to buy another throttle tube to do this....too much damn work. I figure I'll go with another one, does anyone have a good suggestion for heated grips? Honda no longer makes the OEM one's sadly.

taxfree4
04-26-2023, 04:11 PM
Figured out why the right grip failed, wire was pulled out, therefor it lost power. Manufacturer's defect. Wingstuff said they'd send me a new one, but I have to completely take out the old one first, send it back, then they'll send the new one, I can't be without my bike for the week to two weeks it's going to take and I really don't want to have to buy another throttle tube to do this....too much damn work. I figure I'll go with another one, does anyone have a good suggestion for heated grips? Honda no longer makes the OEM one's sadly.

I would call them back and suggest that as s good business practice, being you bought the product from them, ask them if they could send you the new grip and you can swap them out and send back the old one.

Eternalydamd
04-28-2023, 12:52 PM
I asked, their response was that I have to pull the entire kit and send it back, once they get it they'll send the new one. The other issue is this kit doesn't have the throttle tube in the grip so I'll have to buy another one of those as well, as well as pay the shop to uninstall and reinstall the entire damn thing again.

taxfree4
04-28-2023, 02:15 PM
I asked, their response was that I have to pull the entire kit and send it back, once they get it they'll send the new one. The other issue is this kit doesn't have the throttle tube in the grip so I'll have to buy another one of those as well, as well as pay the shop to uninstall and reinstall the entire damn thing again.

I'll never deal with them, obviously they don't know what "customer service" is.

maxrider
04-29-2023, 11:15 PM
WingStuff's AvatarJoin Date
Sep 2013

It is a board sponsor!

taxfree4
04-30-2023, 03:24 PM
donnez-leur la botte

maxrider
05-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Agree one could:), or be smart about it, and offer a compromise, say charge my credit card for a new one, and when I send back the defective one, you reimburse me the full price.

I have had that once with a vendor who got burned by not getting the defective part sent back, so I can see the logic, or go there in person, it ain't that far away, anyway c'est la vie.

taxfree4
05-02-2023, 05:36 AM
Agree one could:), or be smart about it, and offer a compromise, say charge my credit card for a new one, and when I send back the defective one, you reimburse me the full price.

I have had that once with a vendor who got burned by not getting the defective part sent back, so I can see the logic, or go there in person, it ain't that far away, anyway c'est la vie.

Agreed, I just don't get it. You're in a customer service business yet act like there is no competition. I've been in retail 40 years and, sometimes, you have to work outside the norm, especially, when it'll result in a happier customer, which is the best advertisement you can get. They pretty much "Bud Lighted" themselves, with me anyway.

maxrider
05-02-2023, 09:52 AM
Agreed:yes:

Eternalydamd
05-05-2023, 12:42 PM

I called Wingstuff and they said they'd let me purchase new ones and give me a full refund once I sent back the bad one. Now I just need to purchase another throttle tube, and pay the shop to do it again.

taxfree4
05-05-2023, 12:51 PM
I called Wingstuff and they said they'd let me purchase new ones and give me a full refund once I sent back the bad one. Now I just need to purchase another throttle tube, and pay the shop to do it again.

Not ideal but good for you. If you're going to advertise on a site to garner rider $ and loyalty the least you can do is offer some loyalty, via customer service over and above the norm, to the riders of that site. A little gesture goes a long way.