PDA

View Full Version : Pulling power for bar-mounted accessories

motozeke
12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Gents, just want to check with the community to see how folks have been pulling power for bar-mounted accessories (radar detector, GPS, cell phone, etc.). My baseline plan has been to run straight back to the battery, but I understand that there is a power plug pre-wired near the left cubby that can support the installation of an accessory 12V outlet in the cubby itself; seems to me with the right adaptors that could be used to avoid having to run back to the battery (and the accessories would be triggered by the ignition switch, which is nice as well). Has anyone done this? I mean, used the pre-wired harness to run multiple accessories that are bar-mounted? Thanks in advance, I wasn't able to find this topic directly addressed in a thread.

Also, advise on actual cable routing and what panels need to be removed would be helpful. .notworthy.

William
12-23-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't recall seeing the power connection below the left bin. But when I was putting lights on the bike I ran 2 power lines one for the lights and one for accessory power. And when I did that I used a metal hanger and taped the wires to that pulled the seat off and left side battery cover. Then used the hanger to run the wire down to the battery, and zip tied the wires out of the way and cleanly. But the seat needs to come off in order to access the screw battery posts. Now you can use the two posts that are next to the battery behind a cover and them posts are switched with the key in the ignition. But depending on whe all you are powering you may want to swap the fuse, I believe it is a 5 amp fuse stock.

chipmaker
12-23-2013, 12:27 PM
The connection is under the left bin. You can buy a 12 volt cig lighter and usb adapter, then run cables from it to phone or gps... no need to run wires back.

An example... http://midwestcyclepro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

Hornblower
12-23-2013, 04:00 PM
The connection is under the left bin. You can buy a 12 volt cig lighter and usb adapter, then run cables from it to phone or gps... no need to run wires back.

An example... http://midwestcyclepro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

Yes, this :thumb: It's cheap and plug & play.

motozeke
12-23-2013, 04:02 PM

How would you run wires from the 12V plug to the handlebars if the plug is inside the cubby?

Pedro66
12-23-2013, 04:31 PM
How would you run wires from the 12V plug to the handlebars if the plug is inside the cubby?

Its under the box

Run the wires to the front of the bike jump to the center of the triple tree then up the bars

MichaelG
12-23-2013, 04:34 PM

The correct, and easiest way to do this is buy the splitter adapter, and plug that splitter into the RED connector under the left side cubby.

Once you remove the left side cubby, you will find a fairly clear looking rubber boot, that has a GREEN connector, and a RED connector.

The GREEN connector is for plugging in your Aux. audio device, such as a MP3 player, and I-Pod, etc. There is a wire that comes with the bike...should be inside the left cubby, or maybe in a saddlebag, maybe in a plastic bag that possibly had the owners manual in it. That WIRE...with a GREEN connector on the end, will plug into the GREEN connector under the left cubby.

Then...the RED connector is left down there, so you buy a splitter adapter, which allow you to have a Y-splitter...or a Y-connector...so you can plug a wire into one of the legs of the Y...and use that as a power source that mounts inside the cubby....and you can run a power wire to the other leg of the Y...so that you can power up items like a GPS, or a Radar Detector, and have those items mounted on the handlebars, or up on the dash...wherever you like.

There is MORE than enough power coming out of that RED connector under the left cubby, to power up the normal things we use up front. Example, I have a splitter adapter plugged in on mine, and I have one power source going to the inside of the cubby, and another power source going to my GPS that is mounted on the left handlebar area. The power source INSIDE the left cubby feeds power out to my Valentine One radar detector, mounted on the right handlebar.

By removing the left side cubby...and also the dash itself, you can have access to route all the wires you need to, up the handlbars.

"coffee"

chipmaker
12-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I notched the lip/edge of cubby lid and ran wire thru notch and tie wrapped to bars...

timjoebob
12-23-2013, 08:34 PM

That's what I've done with the plug n play USB socket. I plug my Nuvi in and no problems whatsoever. For what it's worth, I couldn't find any specs on the Garmin site about how many amps my Nuvi draws. I believe the default in-line fuse is a 15 amp for my USB socket.

I'd go the easier route and not run a direct line to the battery... but that's just me.

Texas TC
12-23-2013, 09:12 PM
I just use a cell phone flexible charging cord plugged into the 12v outlet I mounted in the cubby box, leave some slack and close the lid with the cord exiting the top of the lid and attached to the input socket on the GPS. I only mount the GPS for trips so this method works well for me. If I were going to leave the GPS mounted on the handlebars, I would consider a more permanent wiring solution. Since 90% of the time I don't even have the bracket mounted on the handlebars, I have not found a need for running additional wiring.

ff73148
12-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I have never liked running wires from a stationary point on a bike to the handlebars. I have a Garmin Zumo mounted on my clutch assembly using a RAM mount. I purchased a 60" power cord and ran it from the accessory spot in the fuse box up under the body panels to the steering head, then up the handle bar. Just like the stock wiring harness. Plus power to the Garmin is cut when the bike is shut down.

motozeke
12-23-2013, 09:59 PM
I have never liked running wires from a stationary point on a bike to the handlebars. I have a Garmin Zumo mounted on my clutch assembly using a RAM mount. I purchased a 60" power cord and ran it from the accessory spot in the fuse box up under the body panels to the steering head, then up the handle bar. Just like the stock wiring harness. Plus power to the Garmin is cut when the bike is shut down.

This is the way I'll do it for my radar detector. The USB power for my Garmin, looks like tapping under the cubby is the way to go.

MSGT-R
04-27-2014, 08:51 PM
The correct, and easiest way to do this is buy the splitter adapter, and plug that splitter into the RED connector under the left side cubby.

Once you remove the left side cubby, you will find a fairly clear looking rubber boot, that has a GREEN connector, and a RED connector.

The GREEN connector is for plugging in your Aux. audio device, such as a MP3 player, and I-Pod, etc. There is a wire that comes with the bike...should be inside the left cubby, or maybe in a saddlebag, maybe in a plastic bag that possibly had the owners manual in it. That WIRE...with a GREEN connector on the end, will plug into the GREEN connector under the left cubby.

Then...the RED connector is left down there, so you buy a splitter adapter, which allow you to have a Y-splitter...or a Y-connector...so you can plug a wire into one of the legs of the Y...and use that as a power source that mounts inside the cubby....and you can run a power wire to the other leg of the Y...so that you can power up items like a GPS, or a Radar Detector, and have those items mounted on the handlebars, or up on the dash...wherever you like.

There is MORE than enough power coming out of that RED connector under the left cubby, to power up the normal things we use up front. Example, I have a splitter adapter plugged in on mine, and I have one power source going to the inside of the cubby, and another power source going to my GPS that is mounted on the left handlebar area. The power source INSIDE the left cubby feeds power out to my Valentine One radar detector, mounted on the right handlebar.

By removing the left side cubby...and also the dash itself, you can have access to route all the wires you need to, up the handlbars.

"coffee"

Where do I get this adapter? I had our Zumo 450 set up in my husband's 2005. Now that I'm putting it in my F6B, the plugs are not the same, and neither are the number of bands on the audio plug-in for the unit. It had a kit from the Kennedy Technology Group.

Pedro or Michael, enlighten me please..

F6BPDX
04-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Where do I get this adapter? I had our Zumo 450 set up in my husband's 2005. Now that I'm putting it in my F6B, the plugs are not the same, and neither are the number of bands on the audio plug-in for the unit. It had a kit from the Kennedy Technology Group.

Pedro or Michael, enlighten me please..

I called lewis at Electrical Connection and had them make me a connector that was just Hitachi>red & black wires>butt connectors. Put the bare zumo wires in, crimp em down, and then plug & play.

Its not on the site so you have to call but it was under $10.

They sell the Y splitter also to run multiple devices for $15