PDA

View Full Version : OEM GW Windshield

bobbyf6b
12-25-2013, 10:04 AM
So I was thinking I'd like to try an OEM GW shield but apparently not many people like to sell them.

Does anyone know why I can buy a 2 inch taller shield from Honda for $220, but to get an OEM shield it's $1200? :yikes:

Scotrod
12-25-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-GL1800-Windshield-Windscreen-with-vent-hole-/221340376506?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3388ea1dba&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-GL1800-Windshield-Windscreen-with-vent-hole-/331092209022?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d16a22d7e&vxp=mtr

Phantom
12-25-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-GL1800-Windshield-Windscreen-with-vent-hole-/221340376506?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3388ea1dba&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-GL1800-Windshield-Windscreen-with-vent-hole-/331092209022?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d16a22d7e&vxp=mtr

When purchasing a USED Goldwing shield, make sure to ask if it is delaminating or has patches of delamination.

I replaced my Goldwing shield when the Wing only had 3000 miles, these shields have some type of very thin UV film baked into them and do come apart. I ended up throwing my delaminated shield in the trash.

Just make sure that the seller discloses all defects.

Scotrod
12-25-2013, 01:13 PM
For 100 bucks,,, (vs 1200) to TRY a 1st gen OEM shield,,, no big loss if it does end up in the trash! LOL!

Doubtful that used 2nd gen shields are that plentiful anywho,,,

For 1st gen, 2010 and earlier, only 200 brand new,,, http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-64100-MCA-A21.html

bobbyf6b
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I saw the ones on ebay. Scratched up. I ordered a Memphis Shades standard size shield for $150. New bike/new shield. My Baggershield isn't cutting it since I stiffened up the suspension. The wind hits me in the face again, unless I slouch way down. The reason I didn't order the Honda F6B tall shield is because it's narrower at the top. I'll post my thoughts after I get it.

I was hoping someone might know why a standard OEM shield is a grand more than a tall OEM shield.:icon_doh:

Scotrod
12-25-2013, 07:56 PM
V-Stream is wider still at the top,,, :stirthepot:
Never too early to start (or add to) that windshield collection!! LOL!!!!
I've got 4 so far,,,, F6B OEM, convertible baggershield GL1800, Convertible baggershield F6B, and 15" Madstad. :icon_lol:

opas ride
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Scotrod....Which of the shields do you prefer of the ones you have....I have the 11"-19"adjustable Baggershield and am totally satisfied at this point....Thanks and your opinion is welcome...Regards..

Scotrod
12-26-2013, 07:24 PM
The Madstad.

The more I looked at the Baggershield, the less I liked the 2 tone look,,, and it seemed like I rarely ran with it 'down',,, Quite a bit of helmet wind noise, even in the up position.

So much quieter w/Madstad. Except for a little flutter around 70-80 (that I'm still working on,) the turbulence/buffeting is gone

I'll probably run the OEM shield occasionally in the summer for short rides/change of pace. Tons of ~smooth~ air, but plenty of wind noise.

Wmorgan2k
12-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Just so you know the OEM GoldWing windshield (i.e. full tour bike) is different than the F6B windshield. The factory F6 shield has 3 fixed holes in it, one on each side and one in the middle with specific collars that hold the shield in place. The OEM tour windshields have 5 slots with plates that go in them so the windshield can move. If you get an OEM shield and don't get the plates that go with it you'll have to do what I did and make collars and washers to hold the shield in place. Then you will probably need some thin foam because the thing will squeak as it rubs against the plastic.

So my point is make sure it has all the hardware on it because your stock hardware isn't enough. OH and there are 5 fixed screw holes on for a screen on the F6 but they are fixed.

Here are some quick picks of what i mean, this is a super tall for windstream for a full wing. You can see the slots in the shield. There are plates that fill that slot with a bolt hole that slides up and down for the wings adjustable screen. The F6 doesn't have that so you gotta make collars and use all 5 holes for safety.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/phantomx2k/Honda%20F6B/db240efd-62be-4b4e-97fb-5809526e0b3f.jpg

Here you can see it all installed with some foam to stop the squeaking because this shield didn't have the hardware.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/phantomx2k/Honda%20F6B/5B00EE5A-5EEB-4735-90BA-964C2C190AF0.jpg

Happy hunting and hope that helps. I paid $70 for this one so I was pretty happy.

Scotrod
12-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I believe the 5 slots were used on earlier model Wings and the later wings have 3 slots. (Some aftermarket company's go w/5 slots to 'fit all')
F6B does have 3 holes.

bobbyf6b
12-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up but I already dealt with this when I got my Baggershield for a GW. I ended up using the center hardware for the GW and the stock F6B bolts/washers on the sides. This way there's two choices, all the way up or all the way down. Works good and makes it secure. I fuzzed out the sides cuz I was trying something different at the time.

Wmorgan2k
12-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Bobby where did you get the center hardware from? I wouldn't mind getting that piece for mine if it can be purchased...

bobbyf6b
12-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Bobby where did you get the center hardware from? I wouldn't mind getting that piece for mine if it can be purchased...

Ordered it from my local dealer. You need the front and back pieces and two screws. I also ordered the pieces for both sides but ended up not using them and used the F6B bolts.

You need numbers 33, 34, 40 and 57. Check out this link:

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/50bd2c24f870022a6884f437/windscreen

Scotrod
12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
What can one do when it's after 6 PM,,, you're in a motel parking lot hundreds of miles from home,,,, and you discover the GL1800 shield slots are too large for the F6B hardware?

Do what I did,,, Just walk next door to Lowe's and pick up a few fender washers!!! LOL!!!!

Not quite as nice as OEM stuff though,, :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
12-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I prefer Ace...but same diff......$75 for a shield is cheap...then pick up a vent ...done....no brainer !!!!!

glryder98
12-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Why not try a F4 Custom windshield. They come in 14,16, 18, or 20 inch sizes. Measured from the weatherstrip up. Tinted or clear, With a vent or without. Unbelievable clarity, sheds water like mad, resists scratches, Clean up with only a paper towel and Windex. Best windshield I ever bought.

bobbyf6b
12-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Why not try a F4 Custom windshield. They come in 14,16, 18, or 20 inch sizes. Measured from the weatherstrip up. Tinted or clear, With a vent or without. Unbelievable clarity, sheds water like mad, resists scratches, Clean up with only a paper towel and Windex. Best windshield I ever bought.

Why spend all that money on one when you can have a collection? :icon_lol:

glryder98
12-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Well 3 windshields at $150.00 each times 3 equals $450.00. That's more than the cost of 1 F4 and you get a windshield made to fit an F6B , plus all the hardware to mount it.

bobbyf6b
12-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Well 3 windshields at $150.00 each times 3 equals $450.00. That's more than the cost of 1 F4 and you get a windshield made to fit an F6B , plus all the hardware to mount it.

Some of us are stubborn and have to do everything the hard way. :icon_mrgreen:

Wmorgan2k
12-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks! I'm probably going to order the parts I need just because it will make me feel better. My setup works but it's not right if you know what i mean. The VStream windshield I got is really really clear and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price. I had the F4 on my other wing, also a great shield.

Scotrod
12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Why spend all that money on one when you can have a collection? :icon_lol:

LMAO!!!!

If we could only have ONE, and be 100% convinced it was a do-all, best-of-anything product, neither you or I would have a bunch of shields laying around from the LAST bike!!! (I still have five from the long-gone Yami here in my home office!)

I suppose an F4 would be nice, but for me, the ticket price for that ride is $425.00 (didn't go any further than that so I couldn't tell ya if shipping was included or not)

Mustangjake
12-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Buy the F4 Custom u be very happy you did !!

Scotrod
12-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Or a fully adjustable Madstad, ~3 Ben~, . :icon_biggrin:

Texas TC
12-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Ya know, I bought the Honda OEM tall windshield for the F6B when I bought the bike last February. It was the only option available specifically for our bikes at the time. It measures 16 3/4" from the rubber strip up and works just great for me. When it gets all scratched up, I do believe the F4 will be the replacement unless something better comes along but that will be down the road. What I have has worked great for me and matches the lines of the bike.

bob109
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Ya know, I bought the Honda OEM tall windshield for the F6B when I bought the bike last February. It was the only option available specifically for our bikes at the time. It measures 16 3/4" from the rubber strip up and works just great for me. When it gets all scratched up, I do believe the F4 will be the replacement unless something better comes along but that will be down the road. What I have has worked great for me and matches the lines of the bike.

+1

Tom:

I did the same with the purchase and installation of the OEM F6B windshield before taking delivery of my bike. I'm completely satisfied with the shield. I especially like the adjustable vent which provides some great relief on extremely hot days. Fit and finish are typical Honda. May dealer cut $100.00 off the original $199.00 retail price. Having bought my last several bikes from him, he thought it was good business:icon_wink:

bobbyf6b
01-10-2014, 11:56 PM
So a few weeks ago I ordered a Memphis Shades GL1800 windshield with vent. I received a windshield without vent, so I'm sending it back. I'm not gonna say the vendor so I don't hurt anyones feelings.

Anyway, I called around today and found a used OEM shield and I scored it for $65, with vent! :icon_mrgreen: What a deal.

I installed it but then realized it sits way too high, so I took it home and got to tinkering. I drilled it out using the stock F6B shield as a template and what do you know? I actually got it to fit perfect. :biggthumpup:

It's measures 16 3/4 inches (same as tall F6B shield) but it's wider. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. BTW, I was afraid to crack the shield but I had no issues when drilling it. I started with a small bit and worked my way up to the right size hole. It was much easier than expected. Oh yeah, and I notched out the lower middle to fit behind the plastic "wing" that blocks the holes up front.

3686 3687

There's no cracks, just marks that wiped off.

bobbyf6b
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
If anyone is reading this thread here's more info.

I rode half the day yesterday and the 16 3/4 inch high shield drove me bonkers! :banghead:

The whole time it was over/under/over/under, it drove me crazy. I really thought this would be the magic number for me but I was wrong. If I sit up straight I can see over but if I relax the top of the shield is right on the horizon.

So for now I gave up and I'm going to look through it. I modified the shield to go up 2 inches and I'll live with that through the winter.

When it starts warming up I will be deciding between the Madstad and Windbender. The Windbender looks better to me. Who knows, maybe I'll just put the stock shield back on and get some speakers for my full face helmet. :iduno:

1951vbs
01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Who knows, maybe I'll just put the stock shield back on and get some speakers for my full face helmet. :iduno:

:yes: Works great for me!:icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
For $65, with a vent,,,, sweet deal!

Break out the jig saw and lop off the lower 'ears' so it will slid down in another inch or so. :shrug:

bobbyf6b
01-13-2014, 12:27 AM
For $65, with a vent,,,, sweet deal!

Break out the jig saw and lop off the lower 'ears' so it will slid down in another inch or so. :shrug:

Good idea, that might happen. :yes:

bobbyf6b
01-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Good idea, that might happen. :yes:

After thinking about this, it's not possible. The vent is already just above the dash. Oh well. My experiment turned out to fail. :icon_redface:

Turns out I can't stand the shield at 16-3/4 (Not comfortable looking over or under), and I don't like it at 18-3/4 either (not high enough to see under comfortably). I covered up the holes (looks like crap :icon_frown:) and set it at the highest position, 20-3/4 inches. Basically the stock Wing setting all the way up. I know it will be nice and quiet to ride with but it looks odd on the F6B, and I'm stuck looking through it.

I went through this same process with my HDSG and could never seem to find that magic shield that I was happy with. I really hope the Windbender will be THE ONE. At $400 it better be. At least they have a good return policy. I can always go back to the stock shield if I have to, I'm just searching for the Holy Grail of shields.

Thanks for listening to my blah blah blah, whatever. Why does this always happen to me??? :banghead:

The reason this is so important to me is because I love to listen to music while I ride, but I also want to hear everything around me at the same time. It's hard to have it both ways.

Oh, and this is why I haven't bought a F4 or CBailey. This would be an even more expensive search for the right shield.

Scotrod
01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Why does this always happen to me???

Don't feel alone! My VTX was 'an experience', learned quite a bit on the Stratoliner, and the 6 is different,,,

I'm currently running a Madstad, but I believe you are heading in the right direction with a 'bender! :yes:

opas ride
01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Can't really make any justifiable comments on this issue except the Adjustable Baggershield 11-19" works great for me and I have no plans to spend money on any other options at this point...Hope you find what is best for you riding style......

F6BPDX
01-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Bobby, I run a Sena SMH10R in my helmet and it was never a problem to hear with the stock shield. So if you don't mind the lack of wind/weather protection you can solve the music issue for $170 if you bluetooth it from your phone, which is what I do, or $300ish if you want to be able to get the on bike audio to the Sena (using the SH10 adapter).

I love this set up and would use it regardless of windshield choice, for me the windshield thing is about wind noise, turbulence, weather, etc. I have a Madstad arriving tomorrow, and am very excited about it. Currently running a Tulsa that sits 17" from rubber gasket to the top. I still get wind hitting me from mid eyeball up, and like you wouldn't want to go any higher.

Wmorgan2k
01-16-2014, 03:08 PM
I think i mentioned this but I like a super tall shield so I got found a used Windstream that is 20" and I love it, warm or hot it's comfortable, I look through it and it's super clear. I had the F4 on my other wings and they are also fantastic if not a bit pricey.

bobbyf6b
01-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Bobby, I run a Sena SMH10R in my helmet and it was never a problem to hear with the stock shield. So if you don't mind the lack of wind/weather protection you can solve the music issue for $170 if you bluetooth it from your phone, which is what I do, or $300ish if you want to be able to get the on bike audio to the Sena (using the SH10 adapter).

But how do the speakers sound? I had a Bluetooth headset before but the speakers sounded awful.

F6BPDX
01-16-2014, 07:13 PM
But how do the speakers sound? I had a Bluetooth headset before but the speakers sounded awful.

I like them fine. From the research I have done they seem to be considered the best for audio quality (routinely beating out chatterbox, and the like). I am not a huge audiophile, but it doesn't sound like I am listening to my music via a tin can or anything.

Big Jay
01-16-2014, 10:05 PM
:icon_ditto: The sena has good sound quality JMHO.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Can't really make any justifiable comments on this issue except the Adjustable Baggershield 11-19" works great for me and I have no plans to spend money on any other options at this point...Hope you find what is best for you riding style......

++ Bagger Shield, same satisfaction. Cool look and works well solo and perfect for the passenger with the clear extension.
Quick change in minutes, from anywhere. Best of both worlds for me.

J