PDA

View Full Version : Well, the gravel got me yesterday

willtill
07-18-2023, 05:30 AM
Was making a low speed turn at the bottom of a drop off from a parking lot. Didn't see gravel at the base since I was watching traffic. Down goes my bike.

Pinned my right foot down under the right side. I couldn't free myself. Luckily someone saw me and my predicament and hurried over. Help pull that 840lbs off of me and my foot. My ankle is pretty 'effed up right now, swollen and black and blue. Been icing and eating G.I. candy, I may end up going to the emergency room today for an x-ray. I hope nothing is broken, hope it's just a bad sprain. Foot is feeling numb in the heel too.

That right forward engine guard took the brunt of the impact. If it wasn't there I probably would've lost my foot. Already ordered a new one from Partzilla ($215.00) Gonna go out in a bit and closely check everything else on my bike for damage, if I can hobble out that far.

JackB
07-18-2023, 05:42 AM
Hope for a speedy recovery. It happens fast.

willtill
07-18-2023, 06:17 AM
Ya, Thanks. I'm a hobbling around, that's for sure. Just checked my bike, looks like the right rear engine guard is bent up more than 1 inch as opposed to the left side one. Wondering if I can persuade it back down with ratchet straps. Got a small dent as well in the right front exhaust pipe cover.

SpencerPJ
07-18-2023, 07:01 AM
Sorry to hear of the mishap. Gravel is my biggest fear as you found. Wishing for a speedy recovery, and inexpensive fix. Get the foot looked at, if it's broken you want it to heal correctly for best riding performance :cool:

KeyWasted
07-18-2023, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal quickly. I’ve laid mine down, fortunately gently, twice. Both times on slight inclines with no damage. Honda did a hellofajob with the engine guards.

taxfree4
07-18-2023, 10:51 AM
Will, I don't blame you for ordering a brand new guard, that bike is too pretty to ride around with a scuff like that, even though you may be able to straighten it, somewhat.

tenxxx
07-18-2023, 12:19 PM
They just chip & sealed the road at my house.
Loose stone scares the crap out of me.
Hope your foot isn’t too bad.

Radical Taz
07-18-2023, 07:37 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery ��

FarsideF6B
07-18-2023, 08:50 PM
Ouch! I hate gravel. I went down years ago on my Valkyrie IS taking a slow speed right turn. Hit a pile of gravel at maybe 5 mph so the guards did their job well. Walked away just embarrassed. Really sorry to hear and hope you got just a sprain and will be back riding soon. :cool:

willtill
07-19-2023, 06:34 AM
Well, was seen by Urgent Care yesterday, got me a small chipped fracture of the anterior of the Talus. Foot is pretty well swelled up now and very difficult to walk on. I don't think I'll be riding anytime soon. :icon_frown:

taxfree4
07-19-2023, 07:41 AM
Ouch, that is no joke will. Hopefully, it'll heal fast enough that won't ground you too long. Had I thought of it I would have brought some of that Holy Water from up the mountain so you could soak in it.

willtill
07-19-2023, 09:06 AM
Ouch, that is no joke will. Hopefully, it'll heal fast enough that won't ground you too long. Had I thought of it I would have brought some of that Holy Water from up the mountain so you could soak in it.

Lol! Well, ice cold beer will have to do right now. Maybe I'll wash my foot with beer.

Hey Mike, did you replace your front engine guard in the past? I was searching for posts here on how to do it, and I saw some where you referenced replacement. The F6B factory repair manual is a little anemic on instructing such. What did you have to remove to access the engine guard mounting bolts?

willtill
07-19-2023, 01:05 PM
Oh I figured it out. Had to remove the lower cowl and the front header heat shield. Need to remove the middle front cowl later when I get ready to install the new one.

The damaged right front engine guard had a lot of tension straining against the two lateral mounting bolts. I was initially worried that the subframe that it bolts to was damaged; I’ve seen other pictures where it can be snapped in half. Luckily it looks to me like it’s still intact.

thunder217
07-19-2023, 01:11 PM
speedy recovery.

taxfree4
07-19-2023, 01:39 PM
Lol! Well, ice cold beer will have to do right now. Maybe I'll wash my foot with beer.

Hey Mike, did you replace your front engine guard in the past? I was searching for posts here on how to do it, and I saw some where you referenced replacement. The F6B factory repair manual is a little anemic on instructing such. What did you have to remove to access the engine guard mounting bolts?

Never did replace the guard on the 2016, was thinking about it though. Hopefully the beer will work, it may if its made by monks.

naga viper
07-23-2023, 12:37 PM
No joke but lucky for you someone was around and able to unpin you!.
State is tar and chipping every road around!
Lazy road repairs.
Get well soon.

willtill
07-23-2023, 01:56 PM
No joke but lucky for you someone was around and able to unpin you!.
State is tar and chipping every road around!
Lazy road repairs.
Get well soon.

Thanks. I go to the VA tomorrow for my annual, and then I have an orthopedic appt down in Annapolis later that afternoon. So I’ll know a lot more about what’s going on. I still can’t get the swelling to stay down, I think I bruised the crap out of my tibia as well.

terryboyle
07-23-2023, 07:03 PM
Get well soon.

ReserveBum
07-24-2023, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your mishap.....Hope the recovery goes well!

Eternalydamd
07-24-2023, 04:35 PM
Hope you get better and are able to ride again soon.

jm21ddd15
07-24-2023, 08:36 PM
Heal up soon! You got many more miles and rides ahead. Focus on all that fun!

Verismo
07-30-2023, 01:12 PM
Hey there WillTill, sorry to hear of the mishap. Hope you and the bike both make a speedy recovery.

Jason

FLsixB
08-01-2023, 04:23 AM
It's amazing how quickly just a little sand or gravel can pit you on the ground. Hope you have a handle on the swelling by now and a little less hobble.

willtill
08-01-2023, 06:18 AM
Swelling is still present, not as bad though initially. My right calf is larger than my left calf, I've been wearing compression socks for four days now (25-30mmhg) and that seems to help keep the swelling down. Went for MRI last night (saw the orthopedic surgeon a few days earlier). He said all kinds of issues are present in my ankle (old injuries/new ones now); I won't go into detail here but he's leaning towards arthroscopy. :icon_cry:

So will see what the MRI says and then go back to see him again on the 10th. Thanks for the get wells. :039: