PDA

View Full Version : New Baggershield - 1st ride and a couple of questions

DisneyBill
12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I received my 18" vented Baggershield over the Holidays and finally got a chance to install it and go for a ride. A buddy and I went for a 600 mile ride yesterday in the mountains up in Arkansas and I have to say my new windshield made a HUGE difference! I was actually able to hear the radio over 30 mph :) and the wind didn't beat me to death all day.

I did have a couple of questions though as this is my first tall windshield.

1) I noticed a bit of buffeting hitting my head from behind for a good portion of the ride. Is this normal? Is there a way to remedy this?

2) I am able to peek just over the top if I sit completely straight up and if I slouch comfortably, I am protected from the front and it is quiet. Given this is my first tall shield, is this the optimal position? It is taking some adjustment to get used to having the shield in my line of sight as I'm used to a short or no shield.

The Baggershield appears to be of great quality and I really like the extra width of the shield as I have broad shoulders and they are protected as well.

- Bill

DisneyBill
12-29-2013, 12:32 PM
I know a picture may not help with answering my questions, but I thought I'd throw one in anyway as I love this bike. :)

edgeman55
12-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Bill I have the vented one also and mine gets less buffeting if I have the vent open.Don't know if you tried it but it may help.

DisneyBill
12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Bill I have the vented one also and mine gets less buffeting if I have the vent open.Don't know if you tried it but it may help.

It was cold and windy yesterday so I didn't have it open. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Texas TC
12-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Tall windshields on virtually any brand of bike will give you some backdraft effect. The open vent, as mentioned, will help but not completely eliminate it. It is the tradeoff for being able to enjoy the ride, hear the radio, and not be constantly blasted by wind and road grime. Not a bad tradeoff when you think about it. Enjoy!

Wmorgan2k
12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
I've noticed that any screen I seem to put on if I don't sit completely behind it (i.e. tall screens) I get the dreaded helmet buffeting. If I get the tall screens it goes away, it also takes the buffeting off the passenger as well with the taller screens. The wing has always been terrible for me for wind management, it seems I always get that "buzz" on my helmet that is just enough to give me a headache.

Another option is the baker wind wings. You can adjust them so the wind coming up and around the side can be controlled some of the buffeting is also coming from this area. The new fairings are better than the old ones for wind management but short shields still seem to do it. i have the 20" tall screen on mine and with the new fairings on the later wings the wind management is the best it's ever been on a wing. They could use a few tips from Harley and Victory on how to manage wind better, both of those gave me no issues stock. Then again I am only 5'7" so that probably helps!