PDA

View Full Version : Quick Fix for iPod in Saddlebag

Wmorgan2k
12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
So like many who use an iPod or iPhone for your music the connector in the saddlebag was kinda poorly thought out. It should have been in the pocket like just about every other bike out there. So I needed a solution and while cleaning today had an epiphany.

What you'll need:

Some sort of case with a holster. Just about any hard case and holster will do. i used an old OtterBox I had that fit an iPhone 4S which is one of my old decommissioned phones. Loaded up all my music on it and stuck it in the OtterBox.

Velcro - it's like duct tape almost you can use it for so much stuff.

Instructions:
For the best fit I took the clip off the holster. Put velcro on the holster and stuck it to the niche in the center of the saddlebag. Done. Insert phone and plug in, works great!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/phantomx2k/Honda%20F6B/D121DDC2-DC09-4F01-9FA8-2CBB0E077BAD_1.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/phantomx2k/media/Honda%20F6B/D121DDC2-DC09-4F01-9FA8-2CBB0E077BAD_1.jpg.html)
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/phantomx2k/Honda%20F6B/ABC80588-9225-49B4-BD55-69C25DCCB16F.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/phantomx2k/media/Honda%20F6B/ABC80588-9225-49B4-BD55-69C25DCCB16F.jpg.html)

I move this between my two bikes so this was a great solution and it kept it from sliding all over the saddlebag or putting stuff on top of it, etc.

Hope that helps, nice quick fix and everything is out of the way!

GONRDN
12-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Awesome idea!!. Now if I can only get my iphone 5s working there, I'd do it. Funny my wife's 5 works but not my 5s. Got to be something different in the 5s.
P.S. I'm using my ipad mini in saddle with no problem.

bob109
12-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing:icon_biggrin: A very easy and creative idea:cheers:

Wmorgan2k
12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys... I thought that spot would work well too since I plan on getting the saddlebag liners this would allow it to sit behind them and not interfere.

Interesting to hear the 5S doesn't work. I had thought about buying the 6' cable and somehow running it to the front of the bike but after further review that seemed like a lot of work lol. This will do. I can even tether it to my iPhone 5S if I want to play iTunes music or Pandora or something like that. Still it would be nice to not have to open the bag to make changes. Oh well minor inconvenience...

Scotrod
12-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Apple,,, / Micro,,,,,

Would be nice if these 2 could 'play together' a bit more nicely,,,,

bobbyf6b
12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Great idea! I wish Honda had created a small shelf or something for an iPod. I saw on the Honda website they now have a pouch for MP3 players.

indiatango
12-29-2013, 10:55 PM
I simply load music on a Sandisk Micro USB key.

bobbyf6b
12-29-2013, 11:02 PM

Can you load music on one of those from iTunes? Will it know your playlists and stuff like that?

indiatango
12-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I typically use iTunes but I don't believe I created the disc from within the iTunes app. I will test this in the morning but I think I simply went to the actual iTunes library folder and copied the files directly to the USB key. And yes, playlist data is retained and shows on the screen. I'll revisit it in the morning and advise.

Rikrok
12-30-2013, 07:53 AM
I did the same thing when I first got the bike. I leave one of my old iPhones in there full time. Although it has no service, I leave the wifi on, so that when it is parked in the garage it will grab my wireless and update my music library.

Scotrod
12-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Same here, using MPEG format. >$20 and stays in bike 24/7.

GONRDN
12-30-2013, 10:04 AM
It is weird that every phone I use there works flawlessly, except my 5s. Does anyone else have a 5s and have problems? I'm wondering if the extra chip for the fingerprint is getting in the way somehow.

Wmorgan2k
12-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I did the same thing when I first got the bike. I leave one of my old iPhones in there full time. Although it has no service, I leave the wifi on, so that when it is parked in the garage it will grab my wireless and update my music library.

Yup same here! Works great! I imagine any kind of pouch works great too. Just velcro to the back wall in that little niche that's there and your good to go.

As for the Mini SD or USB route, i'm always updating music and playlists so I like the auto update on the iPhone since I do everything in iTunes...

Scotrod
12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
I must be getting old,,, Haven't heard a new song that was worthy of a download in,,, well,,, :shrug: Pretty much have all my 'old' stuff stored already,,,

By todays standards, I'm 'old school', No twitter, flitter, E-book, F-book, Skype, Text,,, Heck, I don't even CALL anyone hardly!! LOL!!

I remember one ride I took with a buddy,,, stopped for lunch and he was tinkering with his phone. Asked him what he was doing,,, "Checking his F-book" .... I'm thinkin' WTF?? Mr. Burly biker worried about F-BOOK while he's out riding!!???!!! :crackup:

I rate F-book right up there with the stick-figure family's that folks paste on their rear windows,,, (Apparently, somebody thinks somebody cares. :shrug:)

Stranger still, some of those very same folks moan about 'da gubberment' watching them,,,,, :banghead:

Is it any wonder I yearn to load up the bike and ride out in the middle of B-Fuk for days,,, BY MYSELF???!!!???

Wmorgan2k
12-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I must be getting old,,, Haven't heard a new song that was worthy of a download in,,, well,,, :shrug: Pretty much have all my 'old' stuff stored already,,,

By todays standards, I'm 'old school', No twitter, flitter, E-book, F-book, Skype, Text,,, Heck, I don't even CALL anyone hardly!! LOL!!

I remember the last ride I took with a buddy,,, stopped for dinner and he was tinkering with his phone. Asked him what he was doing,,, "Checking his F-book" .... I'm thinkin' WTF?? Mr. Burly dressed in leather worried about F-BOOK while he's out riding!!???!!! :crackup:

I rate F-book right up there with the stick-figure family's that folks paste on their rear windows,,, :shrug:

Apparently, somebody thinks somebody cares. :shrug:

Is it any wonder I load up the bike and solo out in the middle of B-Fuk for days,,, BY MYSELF???!!!???

:lolup: that's pretty funny. I work in technology and software so I appreciate it for the convenience it can be (and nuisance sometimes). I try too leverage things like auto updates, etc. For me I have 4 people downloading music on my iTunes account so there is always something new that shows up, throw it in a playlist and everything updates. Love it.

As for the rest of social media I still abstain from all the above you mentioned, won't find me on any of them. I've had the same phone number for 15 years anyone that wants to find me knows how to find me, otherwise tough :bsII:

indiatango
12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Bobbyf6b, what I do is pretty straightforward. I copy the MP3 files out of iTunes onto the key. I don't worry about playlists per se but I know they are3 separated into albums as all of the song data including Album, Artist, Title stays with the file. You can find the files in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. Just grab the artist folder and copy to the key.

bobbyf6b
12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Bobbyf6b, what I do is pretty straightforward. I copy the MP3 files out of iTunes onto the key. I don't worry about playlists per se but I know they are3 separated into albums as all of the song data including Album, Artist, Title stays with the file. You can find the files in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. Just grab the artist folder and copy to the key.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like a great alternative.

HaloJumper
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I did something similar. I took a blackberry case and put Velcro (or, as they called it in jumpmaster school, hook and pile tape fasteners) and stuck it up top on the front side of the saddlebag, near where the USB comes out. I got a gen 3 Nano that I just leave in ther permanently with a riding playlist on shuffle.

JesseS
01-02-2014, 10:02 PM
You can use the 'Export' feature in iTunes to load your songs onto a thumb drive without issue, it groups music by albums and artiest in folders but will not export song info or playlists, if you have a lot of music be sure to use a good quality fast drive light a Kingston and not one of the cheap ones as the bike will not read it.
Here is a better idea, I used a 5vdc (usb) powered Bluetooth music receiver (1.5" square) velcro'ed under the left side pocket and plugged into the AUX connector with a 'Y' cable. Now I can just pair my phone to it and play any music on it thru the Aux channel on the stereo. Do the same with an iPOD. I can still plug in another audio device to the other 'leg' of the cable if needed.

bobbyf6b
01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Here is a better idea, I used a 5vdc (usb) powered Bluetooth music receiver (1.5" square) velcro'ed under the left side pocket and plugged into the AUX connector with a 'Y' cable. Now I can just pair my phone to it and play any music on it thru the Aux channel on the stereo. Do the same with an iPOD. I can still plug in another audio device to the other 'leg' of the cable if needed.

Genius! I never thought of that. I'm stopping by Best Buy tomorrow to look at them. They're only like $30. Stored music, Pandora, whatever you want. Nice! :biggthumpup:

Wmorgan2k
01-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Now that just might be the best idea yet!!! Gonna check those out tomorrow

Jabbasan
01-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Great idea !!!!!!