PDA

View Full Version : New owner?

corbeilkid
12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi, I have a Honda CBF1000A and am looking at the F6B. I am 62 with two hip replacements. My wife and I would like to get something more comfortable. I know that the bike is heavy but is it manageable? (I have short legs). Is this better than other cruisers? I like the reliability of Honda produts so would like to stay with them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

opas ride
12-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi, I have a Honda CBF1000A and am looking at the F6B. I am 62 with two hip replacements. My wife and I would like to get something more comfortable. I know that the bike is heavy but is it manageable? (I have short legs). Is this better than other cruisers? I like the reliability of Honda produts so would like to stay with them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am 74 with short legs, 29" inseam (barely), and in pretty good shape..No knee or hip replacements yet, my wife has both, but does not ride..I traded a 2011 Victory Vision Tour (900)lbs. for my F6B as I don't take long trips much anymore and wanted to go back to the smoothness and power delivery from the flat six motor...The F6B for me is great in all respects and I love the thing so far..I cannot tell you that it is better than other cruisers because each rider has their own preference and likes...If you want, in my opinion, the best handling, best ride, top-notch reliability, and easy and fun to ride cruiser/bagger/touring bike, or whatever, the F6B is hard to beat...I have ridden many different brands and styles and many are very nice, but none compare to the F6B for overall wind protection, (you'll need a taller aftermarket windshield) comfort and smoothness on the road...Good Luck in your decision...BTW, you can get some pretty good deals on leftover 2013 F6B's right now as the 2014 models are unchanged for the most part.....I have no issue with the weight at all as this thing handles so good at low speeds and is very stable at stops.....

Hornblower
12-30-2013, 06:55 PM

Much can be said to sway you toward the F6B but to me, the biggest factor relating to your inquiry would be the unusually low CG (center-of-gravity). It's about the only way to explain how a large, fairly heavy, and very comfortable bike can handle so well. At high, low, and anything in between speeds, it's simply remarkable. 'riding'

mikey
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Much can be said to sway you toward the F6B but to me, the biggest factor relating to your inquiry would be the unusually low CG (center-of-gravity). It's about the only way to explain how a large, fairly heavy, and very comfortable bike can handle so well. At high, low, and anything in between speeds, it's simply remarkable. 'riding'

I got mine in October. Have rode lots of long trips on Harley's. This f6 is in a class all it's own. I'm only 160 lbs., and feel more confident on this bike than any of the other road bikes I've ridden, and it is hard to believe the weight. It's so nimble! Gonna do some long tours soon. Definitely get a taller w.s. Good luck!:pop:

Steve 0080
12-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .batman-smilie. 'riding'

Paul B Blues
12-31-2013, 06:46 AM
'welcome gang':wheelchair wheelie:

NCF6B
12-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Best wishes with your decision! I am in a similar age bracket and also "vertically challenged" . Moved to the F6B from a GL1800 and have never regretted the decision. It is one great bike. I second the comments about ease and maneuverability. Use mine for both local riding and some longer distances. Like you I like the dependability and smoothness of operation. I am having the seat adjusted by a local upholsterer so that it is a little narrower and about 3/4 of an inch lower. I also installed "risers" to bring the bars up and back. Much easier to ride with those adjustments. It is also much easier to work on than my GL. More like my ST1300. Welcome to the forum and have a very blessed New Year!

Elin in So. Cal.
12-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm 5'4" with that 29 inch inseam.

I can almost flat foot it with 3/4" heels on my riding boots, after I shaved a bit of the foam off from the seat (first major modification). I am planning on a custom seat down the road (pun!) a ways. I am also going to get a set of risers to pull the handle grips further back.

For handling, it is somewhat of a pain to always plan how to park the bike (no uphill walking THIS bike for me!) and making sure you don't have to walk it any distance with shorty legs. So far, so good.

Like the others here, you won't regret buying one, because of the phenomenal handling and low CG.

timjoebob
12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
I believe the thing you notice about any Wing, and especially an F6B is the low center of gravity and perfect balance. Low-speed handling is a breeze, and, yes, this is quite different from MANY other cruisers.

I'm 54 and have been riding for only 6 years. I started out with a Shadow 750, then a VTX 1300... each a step up in power and weight. I wished I had bought a Wing to begin with. They are just so easy to handle.

As far as the sheer weight of a F6B or full-dressed Wing... it's all a matter of balance. Once you get any bike weighing more than 600 lbs leaning the wrong way, it's going over. I haven't laid down my F6B yet, but I laid down my Wing (standing still) four times. No damage to the bike ever. (And I lay it over on purpose to change out the rear tire)