PDA

View Full Version : ANY TOMTOM RIDER USERS ???

d-shark
01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Ordered a TomTom Rider GPS today.

Have just had it with Garmin's poor customer support, poor mapping software (base camp) and awful map updating software. Had a Quest 2 which was OK. After a couple of years decided to upgrade the maps. Garmin site sad YES, there is a map update for your GPS. Paid the 50 bucks and then it said SORRY, not enough memory in your unit. Made the mistake of replacing it with the Nuvi 550 which for the money was not bad. Guess what happened recently when I update the maps. That's right, Garmin took my 50 bucks and then SORRY, not enough memory. Well this time I was able to install an SD card which Garmin was too cheap to provide. After several hours I finally got the Garmin upgrade software to load the purchased maps on to the SD card (a nightmare). Well 1,500 miles later at night somewhere out in the middle of Alabama the 550 can not access the 50 dollar map upgrade (corrupt file I guess). Right now I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than give Garmin another dollar.

I like the idea that TomTom uses Tyre planning software that is Google Maps based and that regular map updates are included in the reasonable purchase price (reasonable compared to Garmin prices). Just wondering if others have made the jump to TomTom ???

1951vbs
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
The only TomTom I had experience with was the one in Mother in laws car and it was a POS. It was about 3 years ago so they may have improved. I use cheapo Garmin NUVI (not sure which model number) $219 a couple of years ago.... because they are M/C specific and waterproof. No need to mess with zip-lock bags or pouches that fog up. I don't upgrade the maps, just replace the unit when it starts acting up or the maps get too outdated. I still use paper maps and google maps to pre-plan most trips.

GONRDN
01-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I got the Garmin Nuvi 50 for $59.99 at Walmart. If and when it shits the bed, I'll buy another one. For 60Bucks I'll deal with ziplock bags. I'm a cheapo I guess.

1951vbs
01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
I got the Garmin Nuvi 50 for $59.99 at Walmart. If and when it shits the bed, I'll buy another one. For 60Bucks I'll deal with ziplock bags. I'm a cheapo I guess.

I like your way of thinking. I'm just lazy. Several years ago I just got tired having to stop (or trying to decide if I should stop before I got wet) to cover my radar detector, GPS, travel bag, and put on my rainsuit, etc. Now everything is ready to go all the time; waterproof GPS, legal-speeding radar detector box, goretex apparel and pack my gear in a plastic bag when I pack. But it does come at some price.

Cool Hand Luke
01-02-2014, 10:45 PM
I tried Tomtom at the store and in my opinion it is worse than Garmin. Less resolution, less details on screen. Not as intuitive to use, but I'm used to Garmin for years.

I also buy cheap Nuvis, last one was only about $60 at Staples. Not waterproof, however it does not bother me. I have found out that windshield protects it from fairly serious rain as long as I'm moving at some speed. I have it mounted at left handlebar. If rain gets worse I simply pop it off and store it in middle storage box. Never a problem.

I miss Lowrance Iway 500C, it was the best gps I ever had. Not made anymore. Waterproof, same maps as Garmin, customizable, 5" screen with the best detail I've seen. Kind of big and heavy but I liked the amount of detail on it the best at the time. You can buy a 5" screen Garmin but the level of detail is the same as smaller units. My Nuvi is 4.3".

I like to be able to zoom out as far as I can while still showing all the local roads. When riding in the mountains I like to find new roads. All the newer gps's have less detail on them then years before. My Nuvi 200 series can zoom out up to 0.8 miles and still display all the roads. New Garmin's only zoom out to 0.3 miles before loosing the local roads. I think Iway was able to zoom out to 1.2 miles and still display all the roads. I hope the manufacturers at least give us the option to display more detail if we want to. To be fair, new Garmin Colorado gps series can zoom out to 2.0 miles before loosing all the details, however it is not meant for vehicle use per se, screen is smaller size and it is kind of expensive. I wonder if anyone out there has it?

One feature I am intrigued about on Tom Tom Rider is scenic route feature. So, if anyone has used it would you please post your experiences with this feature?

Here's a picture of mine gps mounted.

GONRDN
01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
I got mine there also, although no use right now with 6 inches of snow outside.

austin_tech
01-02-2014, 11:52 PM

Have just had it with Garmin's poor customer support, poor mapping software (base camp) and awful map updating software. Had a Quest 2 which was OK. After a couple of years decided to upgrade the maps. Garmin site sad YES, there is a map update for your GPS. Paid the 50 bucks and then it said SORRY, not enough memory in your unit. Made the mistake of replacing it with the Nuvi 550 which for the money was not bad. Guess what happened recently when I update the maps. That's right, Garmin took my 50 bucks and then SORRY, not enough memory. Well this time I was able to install an SD card which Garmin was too cheap to provide. After several hours I finally got the Garmin upgrade software to load the purchased maps on to the SD card (a nightmare). Well 1,500 miles later at night somewhere out in the middle of Alabama the 550 can not access the 50 dollar map upgrade (corrupt file I guess). Right now I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than give Garmin another dollar.

I like the idea that TomTom uses Tyre planning software that is Google Maps based and that regular map updates are included in the reasonable purchase price (reasonable compared to Garmin prices). Just wondering if others have made the jump to TomTom ???

I made the jump to iPhone about five years ago :shock:

indiatango
01-03-2014, 01:20 AM
I jumped from TomTom Rider 2 to Zumo 390 this year mostly due to better graphics and screen resolution. The Tom worked flawlessly with the included bluetooth headset in a full helmet, I just couldn't see it very well. Still have the Tom if interested.

tulku36
01-03-2014, 05:17 AM

I have a Tom Tom seams like it works ok. I use the free Tyre software. Works well. I live on the Ms. gulf coast.

indybobm
01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
When going from point 'A' to point 'B', I do not want the GPS to decide my route. I want to use the 'TYRE' software to set my 'waypoints' or 'points of interest' or whatever you call them. How does the Tom Tom or Nuvi 50 work with that? Is it easy or is it like pulling teeth?

GONRDN
01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
I think my nuvi is pretty simple and to the point. I like it. I never really planned a trip with it. I just like having it for locations of places to eat, hotels, gas, shit like that. I like to know where I'm at and direction of travel. That's why I enjoy it.

d-shark
01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I jumped from TomTom Rider 2 to Zumo 390 this year mostly due to better graphics and screen resolution. The Tom worked flawlessly with the included bluetooth headset in a full helmet, I just couldn't see it very well. Still have the Tom if interested.

The new TomTom Rider 5 that came out in 2013 now has the same screen size and resolution as the Zumo 390 (4.3" screen, 480 x 272 pixels). The few rider reviews I was able to find indicated viewing in sunlight has been improved over earlier TomTom models also. Once I've had a chance to use it for a while I'll be sure to post my impressions.

I did consider an inexpensive GPS (not waterproof) but have had too many long trips riding in rain where I wanted to push through the rain as much as possible to the next fuel stop. I need a GPS that functions in the rain to tell me where the fuel stop options are. Some of the areas I ride in fuel stops can be far and few between.

I considered one of the many waterproof GPS / Smartphone cases but glare from the waterproof screen seems to be a big negative pointed out by serious riders that have tried this approach. I love using Google Maps on my Nexus Smartphone in the truck as a GPS now for the past year. I was concerned about using this approach on the bike in a case because the Nexus does get a bit warm when the screen is on full time using GPS. Nexus in a case, in the sun, not so sure?

To the person that said if you need to update the maps on your Garmin then just buy a new unit. I ditto that if you can afford it. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

d-shark
01-03-2014, 10:06 AM
When going from point 'A' to point 'B', I do not want the GPS to decide my route. I want to use the 'TYRE' software to set my 'waypoints' or 'points of interest' or whatever you call them. How does the Tom Tom or Nuvi 50 work with that? Is it easy or is it like pulling teeth?

The TomTom Rider 5 comes with Tyer Pro (the paid version of Tyer if I'm not mistaken). Seems like TomTom has partnered with Tyre for all of their route planning using Google Maps. I watched all the videos at the Tyre site and it looks like it is really geared to the TomTom although it can be used with some Garmin also.

indybobm
01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
The TomTom Rider 5 comes with Tyer Pro (the paid version of Tyer if I'm not mistaken). Seems like TomTom has partnered with Tyre for all of their route planning using Google Maps. I watched all the videos at the Tyre site and it looks like it is really geared to the TomTom although it can be used with some Garmin also.

I have gone through the motions of route planning, unfortunately, the GPS that I was using conuld not accept multiple waypoints. I have used the free version of Tyre and tried to use Basecamp. I think Basecamp is a nightmare. It seems like not everyone uses the same terminology for multiple 'waypoints' , 'points of interest', etc. Like a lot of other things, I wish it would become standardized.

The GPS is a great tool. If I get really lost, it can show me the way home. For me, I do a lot of curvy riding in southern Indiana, I can scroll the screen to see if the road I am about to take is a dead end. We have a lot of those around here.

Cool Hand Luke
01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I can scroll the screen to see if the road I am about to take is a dead end. We have a lot of those around here.

Me too, that's why I like more detail on the screen so I can see farther. I like changing the way I go on the fly, always trying to find that 'perfect' road. Without gps I wouldn't have found amazing roads like I have. I also like to make sure the road is not a dead end or turns into dirt road. After all, I'm a guy and we don't like to backtrack.

I always never use highways, two lane country roads are preferred as much as possible. No traffic, no cars, no lights, great scenery at speeds around 60 mph are why I ride. No better way than gps to find these.

Sometimes I would route towards a destination and set gps to avoid highways and use shorter distance. That usually produces some interesting backroads, problem is ending up on a dirt road which I won't do on 840+ lbs bike.

I mounted my gps on right handlebar, very easy to reach and use my thumb on it. I only do it when going straight and no traffic. I'm pretty handy with them, I've been using them for over a decade. My technique is to scroll around, touch a spot where I want to go and let gps route me to it while avoiding highways, u turns and dirt roads.

My biggest one I used in the past (and still have) is Garmin Streetpilot 7" screen, the best amount of detail on a big screen. I had it on my BMW K1200LT installed in the middle between handlebars. It worked great! Seems to big for F6B, though.

At Daytona Bikeweek last year I saw a custom cruiser with ipad mounted in the fairing. Cool idea but not sure how good would it work on a bike. Here's the picture of it.

d-shark
01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
UPS delivered my new TomTom Rider 5 Friday. I ordered it the previous day (Thursday) from revzilla.com (free shipping) and evidently it shipped out of a warehouse in the Chicago area that day arriving here Friday (thanks revzilla).

The unit has a nice screen and appears well built. First thing I did was go online to register the unit, update firmware and update maps. You have to have a current version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer (you do not have to boot or use Explorer) and are instructed to disarm any virus protection software. Did all that, the unit registered and "TomTom Home" software loaded very smoothly. The third party Tyre Route Planning software has a .exe file on the TomTom that you double click and Tyer installs seamlessly. Did all this in a small fraction of the time it took for me to Download a new map to my 3-year old Garmin a few weeks ago.

Basic functions on this unit are pretty intuitive. User experience with a Garmin does not help a lot when you are learning the intricacies of TomTom Route Planning. It's not harder than a Garmin just different in some aspects. I purchased this unit primarily because I wanted to Route Plan on my PC, something I was never able to do reliably on my last two Garmins. The Tyre Route Planning software shows a lot of promise and integrates seamlessly with the TomTom. I have already put together about 10 routes (Itineraries in TomTom lingo) and this really seems smooth.

When I plan a Route I have Tyre running in one window and TomTom Home in another. It's easy to upload an Itinerary from the TomTom, (via usb) to Tyre, modify it and save it back to the TomTom or create an Itinerary from scratch in Tyre and save it to the TomTom. While the TomTom is connected to your computer via usb it is in a "communications mode" and does not function as a standalone gps until you disconnect the usb cable (this was also the case with my previous Garmin units).

The TomTom Home software however has a very nice feature called "Operate My TomTom". Click on this icon and a facsimile of the TomTom gps appears on your computer screen and you are operating your TomTom remotely via mouse directly from the computer screen. This is a nice feature because you can download a new Itinerary from Tyre to the TomTom, go to TomTom Home and immediately load and look at the new Itinerary in your TomTom gps from your computer screen to verify it downloaded and that TomTom routed as you expected. This makes correcting any routing errors a much faster process.

When an Itinerary is created on Tyre and downloaded to the TomTom the route itself is not actually downloaded but rather the Tyre route way points are downloaded. So in some cases the TomTom may calculate different routes between way points compared to Google Maps in Tyre. Having the "Operate My TomTom" feature in TomTom Home makes it fast and easy to download a new Itinerary from Tyre and immediately check the route on your TomTom without having to disconnect the usb cable and booting the gps.

TomTom has opted for a "Less Is More" approach when it comes to the amount of information that is displayed on any one screen. There is a view map screen that opens up to a scale of about 125 miles per inch of screen. At this scale all the major Interstates are shown but no Interstate Numbers. Touch any Interstate on the screen and a flag pops up with the Interstate Number. As you zoom in secondary routes begin to appear. By tapping the large + or - buttons on the screen the unit quickly zooms in and out. Panning up, down, left, and right within the map screen is smooth and faster than any of my previous gps units. The other night in my truck I was using the TomTom without my reading glasses no problem.

These are only my initial observations, I'll post more thoughts once I've had a chance to use it on the bike.

Deer Slayer
01-06-2014, 10:15 PM
I sure am old, still like a map. :301:

GONRDN
01-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I love the techy stuff of having a GPS. But I still love using maps also. Its nice to pull into a coffee shop with friends, lay a map on the table and figure out our destination. But the GPS is great in a pinch too. So I enjoy both worlds.

1951vbs
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
The thing I like best about a GPS is going on a ride with no real plan and taking any road you come across and then another and another getting farther and farther out there (or lost), beyond your comfort zone and then hit "GO HOME". I think this is why they have that feature.:shrug:

DisneyBill
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
The thing I like best about a GPS is going on a ride with no real plan and taking any road you come across and then another and another getting farther and farther out there (or lost), beyond your comfort zone and then hit "GO HOME". I think this is why they have that feature.:shrug:

This is exactly the main reason I would want a GPS on my bike. Comforting to know you can just ride off in a direction and take in your surroundings without having to memorize your way back.

- Bill

Hornblower
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Bingo! :agree: That may be my favorite feature as well! 'all/right'

Cool Hand Luke
01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

That is great I do it too. Or when I ride into Western NC Mountains I record the hotel location, I ride as many backroads as I could and then have gps get me back to hotel avoiding highways and dirt roads. This usually produces some fine roads!

d-shark
01-08-2014, 07:39 PM
I've been playing with the TomTom each evening and getting very familiar with it, even been reading the online user manual. I've been practicing with it primarily via my desktop computer. Any time I connect the TomTom via a usb cable to my computer "TomTom Home" automatically boots up. From the TomTom Home screen I simply click on "Operate My TomTom" and my TomTom device boots up on my desktop screen. Nice thing here is I can use the computer keyboard & mouse to type in destinations and click on selections (very fast). No connecting & disconnecting the TomTom from the computer to see if what you did TOOK as expected.

A really nice feature is that you can plan routes via "City Centers". Just type in the names of towns along your desired route as way-points. TomTom sets the way-point at the City Center but does not actually navigate to the City Center but rather the fastest route past the City Center to the next way-point. I created a quick route from Auburn IL to Quincy IL which TomTom calculates via Interstate. Then I simply added "City Center" way-points by typing in Jacksonville IL and Meredosia IL, recalculated the route and a nice country ride exactly as I wanted. No dinking around with pinning way-points on the map and hoping you have them near the intended highway. This is a big help when trying to make the GPS take the route you want with the least number of keystrokes. Not to mention I did it all from my computer keyboard.

I've been using Tyre with Google Maps to plan routes. In a few cases routes are planned differently in Tyer compared to TomTom. When maps are downloaded from Tyre only the route way-points are downloaded. So TomTom may calculate routes differently between way-points in some cases. Solution is to use an adequate number of route way-points in Tyre.

On the other hand I am starting to find it easier to create routes from "TomTom Home" using the "Operate My TomTom" feature and City Centers as way-points. Either way this is way easier than my previous experiences with Garmin. Simply stated, "TomTom Home" works and "Tyre" works. Both respond quickly and appear to be glitch free so far. And every time I connect the TomTom to my computer it automatically performs a Backup and updates painlessly.

Scotrod
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
GONRDN and I have very similar views on GPS. Low $ Nuvi's suit my small needs.

I never do any trip planning. (Fold out maps discussed by the group are my choice.)

Displaying your actual speed and the speed limit at that location is ~nice~ (Displayed speed limit is not always 100% accurate, but it's nice in a pinch)

Never had any problems downloading maps. Had a couple of Nuvi's now. Good if you get lost, but haven't been lost in years,,,

Both Garmins are/were a billion times better than the POS OEM GPS in my truck,,, I can park in a Home Depot parking lot, in Houston, search for "Home Depot" and I swear to God it ALWAYS lists one at least 600 miles away in another state as 'the closest Home Depot" Absolute crap! :no:

1951vbs
01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
I've been playing with the TomTom each evening and getting very familiar with it, even been reading the online user manual. I've been practicing with it primarily via my desktop computer. Any time I connect the TomTom via a usb cable to my computer "TomTom Home" automatically boots up. From the TomTom Home screen I simply click on "Operate My TomTom" and my TomTom device boots up on my desktop screen. Nice thing here is I can use the computer keyboard & mouse to type in destinations and click on selections (very fast). No connecting & disconnecting the TomTom from the computer to see if what you did TOOK as expected.

A really nice feature is that you can plan routes via "City Centers". Just type in the names of towns along your desired route as way-points. TomTom sets the way-point at the City Center but does not actually navigate to the City Center but rather the fastest route past the City Center to the next way-point. I created a quick route from Auburn IL to Quincy IL which TomTom calculates via Interstate. Then I simply added "City Center" way-points by typing in Jacksonville IL and Meredosia IL, recalculated the route and a nice country ride exactly as I wanted. No dinking around with pinning way-points on the map and hoping you have them near the intended highway. This is a big help when trying to make the GPS take the route you want with the least number of keystrokes. Not to mention I did it all from my computer keyboard.

I've been using Tyre with Google Maps to plan routes. In a few cases routes are planned differently in Tyer compared to TomTom. When maps are downloaded from Tyre only the route way-points are downloaded. So TomTom may calculate routes differently between way-points in some cases. Solution is to use an adequate number of route way-points in Tyre.

On the other hand I am starting to find it easier to create routes from "TomTom Home" using the "Operate My TomTom" feature and City Centers as way-points. Either way this is way easier than my previous experiences with Garmin. Simply stated, "TomTom Home" works and "Tyre" works. Both respond quickly and appear to be glitch free so far. And every time I connect the TomTom to my computer it automatically performs a Backup and updates painlessly.

That is very good information and I am sure you will find it helpful but I would prefer to spend more time riding and less time "programing". I just think we are getting a little to dependant on electronics.

d-shark
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
That is very good information and I am sure you will find it helpful but I would prefer to spend more time riding and less time "programing". I just think we are getting a little to dependant on electronics.

1951vbs,

I take a few trips each year say 4 days, 2,000 miles. May ride 650 miles the first day to get to the interesting roads. May do a couple of 350 mile days on the mountain twisties and then 650 miles back home. In a case like this it is nice to be able to explore and plan the route at the comfort of your desktop. For those that ride like this and that have planned routes on a Garmin they know it's not a simple task to get the GPS to navigate via the route of your choosing unless all of your riding is via Interstates.

On long trips I ride rain or shine so pulling into a gas station while it's raining to pull out paper maps is not a good option for all. Also during rain and periods of reduced visibility it's nice to have a waterproof GPS to let you know how far it is to your next exit so you can slow accordingly. This was very useful to me recently during heavy rain and near white-out conditions. I could concentrate on the traffic around me and not worry about scanning for barely readable traffic signs.

I understand a lot of Bikers are not traveling long distances, have no need to use pre-planned routes on their gps and for them the $100 GPS is the perfect solution. However for others that do use pre-planned routes and find creating and using them difficult and frustrating on a Garmin, then those folks may find my impressions of the TomTom useful. So in the end I think the TomTom is going to make trip planning easier and faster so I can spend more time Just Riding.

1951vbs
01-09-2014, 05:24 PM
1951vbs,

I take a few trips each year say 4 days, 2,000 miles. May ride 650 miles the first day to get to the interesting roads. May do a couple of 350 mile days on the mountain twisties and then 650 miles back home. In a case like this it is nice to be able to explore and plan the route at the comfort of your desktop. For those that ride like this and that have planned routes on a Garmin they know it's not a simple task to get the GPS to navigate via the route of your choosing unless all of your riding is via Interstates.

On long trips I ride rain or shine so pulling into a gas station while it's raining to pull out paper maps is not a good option for all. Also during rain and periods of reduced visibility it's nice to have a waterproof GPS to let you know how far it is to your next exit so you can slow accordingly. This was very useful to me recently during heavy rain and near white-out conditions. I could concentrate on the traffic around me and not worry about scanning for barely readable traffic signs.

I understand a lot of Bikers are not traveling long distances, have no need to use pre-planned routes on their gps and for them the $100 GPS is the perfect solution. However for others that do use pre-planned routes and find creating and using them difficult and frustrating on a Garmin, then those folks may find my impressions of the TomTom useful. So in the end I think the TomTom is going to make trip planning easier and faster so I can spend more time Just Riding.

Dshark,
I understand what you are saying and if it works for you that is wonderful. Everyone has their preferred methods on the road and yours sounds solid. I....DO...also use a GPS my trips, I just don't preplan it all. I will sometimes follow the route the GPS selects or divert when I see an interesting road or sign for a historical marker or "Historic Downtown" or whatever. Eventually I will get back on course.

As far as riding on trips, you are not alone. I have logged over 800,000 miles (half without GPS) and I also ride through the weather no matter what and you are right GPS as an aid in those conditions is a safety feature. I will however pull over during lightning storms from now on!:yikes:

You have me convinced, If I ever need the capability of pre-planning every way point and road I will definitely look at getting a Tom-Tom. The IBA rally guys must take it to the next level. I think I'm getting lazy, I just want to ride.:icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM
I will however pull over during lightning storms from now on!:yikes:

Mike, you and me both, brother. :yikes:

"coffee"

1951vbs
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Mike, you and me both, brother. :yikes:

"coffee"

I realize this is a total thread jack but....

3 years ago on the return from a 6000 mile trip I was only 1 1/2 hours from home (sound familar) and it had been pouring so much for so long I was laughing as I had never seen or ridden in this much rain and the lightning bolts were as big around as a lighthouse and hitting the sides of the road but I trudged on. I thought, after 35 years of riding at that time, my tires act as insulation....right...but there is so much water I was worried about conductivity. It got so bad that for the first time ever I pulled over for the weather until the lightning slacked off a bit. When I got home I googled "lightning strikes motorcycle" and was suprised to learn it is quite common and the result is typically death. Now if you google "lightning strikes motorcycle" you get dominated by your incident but that is because you made it! Ride on Miles, Ride on, my friend!

To get back on track I was using my GPS and since I couldn't see the white lines on the side of the road I was watching my Garmin to keep in my lane!