PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger on a new seat

GiddyupF6B
01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I have been on the fence about which seat to go with, it was between Mustang & Ultimate, I knew the RDL wasn't for me.

As far as looks I like the profile of the Mustang better than the Ultimate, it has a sleeker design that fits the lines of the F6B better imo. The Ultimate has a higher profile and looks "fatter". The deal breaker for me with the Mustang was the lower seating position (I'm 6'3 and don't need that) and that you can't take the side covers off without removing the seat. The side cover issue was the big one, I don't know what Mustang was thinking? The other determining factor was that Ultimate has 2 models, a Standard version & a King version. The King sits you back and inch and half further from the stock position which is perfect for my height. Right now my legs are a little too bent and the bars are a little too close for my tastes, I'm hoping this seat will help with that. After I get used to the new seating position I will see if I need to add risers and the lower Kury mini floor boards.

One thing I didn't like about the purchase is that I have no desire what so ever for a riders backrest. To have the hole for the backrest covered up so I didn't have that unsightly flap made my seat "custom". There is a no return policy for what they call custom orders so their 14 day return policy for me is out the window. If I don't like it I'm stuck with it. Oh well, hopefully I will love it. The best part is the price I got it for....The seat is $750 shipped. I got a free freight discount from the F6B forum which saved $55 then I had a 20% off coupon from a forum member who wasn't going to use it.......$556 total! I saved $194....not too shabby!!!

The seat should be here in two weeks and I can't wait! I'm not sure why I'm so excited....there is 6 inches of snow and ice outside right now! :icon_biggrin:

GONRDN
01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the Ultimate seat. If it isn't coming for 2 weeks, I suggest you go to wing stuff and get the easy in bolts for the f6b. They work great. Best $15 dollars I spent. They will be there before the seat.

Steve 0080
01-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I have purchased three seats from Ultimate, all very good...I did have a Rune seat made and the words " Rune " left off the seat.....that cost me $25 and also a no return policy!!!! Oh well, very nice seat and who ever gets one should like it!!!!

GiddyupF6B
01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Congrats on the Ultimate seat. If it isn't coming for 2 weeks, I suggest you go to wing stuff and get the easy in bolts for the f6b. They work great. Best $15 dollars I spent. They will be there before the seat.

I looked them up on Wingstuff, do they really make that big of a difference? If you say they do then I will buy them today.

GONRDN
01-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Lets just say, I and many others wont hide the fact that once you take the seat bolts out of a Goldwing or f6b, it could be challenging to get those suckers back in. And if you buy them and don't need them, I'll buy them from you.

opas ride
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I second the opinions that the seat bolts from WingStuff are well worth the money..Just a little crazy to pay $14.99 for the bolts and $7.95 to ship them....Oh well such is life I suppose...Also,I know you will like the Ultimate seat being as you are taller..I am 5'9" with a short inseam and the Ultimate is not for me..I wanted the Mustang seat, but am also put off by the fact you have to take it off everytime you want to remove the side covers, which, admittedly is not very often, but still an un-necessary thing to have to do in my opinion..I like the shorter seat idea and will see if I can find a local shop to cut my stock seat down a little...My dealer says they have a guy that does custom work on Goldwing seats and he may be able to help....Good Luck with your new seat....

GiddyupF6B
01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Lets just say, I and many others wont hide the fact that once you take the seat bolts out of a Goldwing or f6b, it could be challenging to get those suckers back in. And if you buy them and don't need them, I'll buy them from you.

I will buy them today...thanks for the tip!

Scotrod
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I use my 'Multi-function' tool for bolt alignment issues!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/images/PPC905A.jpg

My choice of tool probably has something to do with a history of installing tens of thousands of bolts with tools like these:

http://cdn.nexternal.com/rigcentral/images/klein%20spud%20wrenches%20web%20txt.jpg

Steve 0080
01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I have a set coming because they are CHROME !!!!!! .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
01-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I have a set coming because they are CHROME !!!!!! .batman-smilie.

Chrome!?!?!

LMAO!!! Do you even bother to read descriptions, or did you just instantly hit 'buy' when you see something shiny!!???!! :crackup:

http://wingstuff.com/products/35360-rust-free-easy-mount-seat-bolts-for-f6b?from_search=1

Steve 0080
01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Wellllllll to be truthful…… if it is shiny it does catch my eye !!!! My biggest problem is there is no one telling me I can not buy stuff for my bikes….. Also I am getting ready to have my stock seat re done again , and this time have it done in a tuck n roll, kinda like the Mustang seat …soooo the chrome bolts may come in handy…I tend to plan ahead !!! 'riding'

My wife tends to stay out of the garage and when I call her out to see my latest add on ...she just shakes her head and goes back into the house !!!

Scotrod
01-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Wellllllll to be truthful…… if it is shiny it does catch my eye !!!! My biggest problem is there is no one telling me I can not buy stuff for my bikes….. Also I am getting ready to have my stock seat re done again , and this time have it done in a tuck n roll, kinda like the Mustang seat …soooo the chrome bolts may come in handy…I tend to plan ahead !!! 'riding'

LOL! If you plan on using the Wingstuff bolts,,, Are you going to get them chromed locally? :shrug:

Do it yourself with 'Chrome in a can'? :shrug:

Paint the heads with Chrome finger nail polish? :shrug:

What's your plan for turning those 4 Zinc plated bolts into "chrome" ????????????

Steve 0080
01-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Thats easy...i have a friend girl that is a officer manager for a chrome shop.....anything I want ! but then again maybe zinc will be shiney enough !!!

F6B-RICH
01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
My wife tends to stay out of the garage and when I call her out to see my latest add on ...she just shakes her head and goes back into the house !!!

:lolup: LOL I do the same thing and my wife does the same thing as your wife Steve.I sometimes make her find the new add-on/mod no matter how small or large it is :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
01-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Thats easy...i have a friend girl that is a officer manager for a chrome shop.....anything I want ! but then again maybe zinc will be shiney enough !!!

:icon_biggrin: