PDA

View Full Version : Cold Temps next 4 days

MichaelG
01-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Folks, this is very serious weather that will be coming down from the Arctic, and will be blasting the upper Midwest states, as well as the Eastern states for the next 4 days. This kind of cold weather is NOT a joke, or to be taken lightly. They are predicting that the temps will be COLDER 'cold' that anything the lower 48 states have seen in the past 20 years.

They are even talking about SNOW :snow1: as far South as Alabama and Florida. .snowremoval.

For those of you in the path of this Arctic blast, be prepared for temps as low as a -50 to a -60 degrees in some places. If you have never experienced that in your lifetime, it can kill....quickly. Prepare your homes, cars, bikes, everything, because it can freeze things up and cause severe damage.

Please....be prepared, and do NOT underestimate how 'freezing-cold' it is going to get.

"coffee"

Steve 0080
01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Even in Central Florida it will be around 30" Tues and Wed AM..... not good.... but then 3 days later 80'...Sweet ! P. S. 80" this Sun as well..... 'riding' :th_sunbathe::beach:

Scotrod
01-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Parents are in Iowa. Looks like single digits (below zero) for them for the next few days. They have a tractor-powered generator if the power goes out. 1000 gal LP tank to heat the house.

(I remember spending several nights as a child in the basement of the old house when a storm would make the power go out,,, No heat but a kerosene stove. We thought we were 'uptown' when we got a Coleman stove to cook on!!! :icon_biggrin:)

North Dakota will be in the icebox,,,

Be safe, take care of yourself and your critters!!!!

GONRDN
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
It was 2 here last night, but went into the 20's today here. I swear I don't know how the upper states do it. I hope all a safe couple of days ahead and please bring in your pets.

Deer Slayer
01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Take care of your critters. Bring them in.:icon_goodpost:

choptop
01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Have already had -20 here a couple of times this winter . Will be interesting to see what the next couple of days bring as far as wind chill goes.

1951vbs
01-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Supposed to be 9 degrees Tuesday morning in the greater Charlotte area. Pretty cold for the Carolinas! I will be taking the short 20 mile route to work for sure.'freezing-cold'

bob109
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Took advantage of some 76/77 degree temps to get in a 75 mile jaunt with several friends. The 20/40 degree temps arrive in the Citra Fl. area Tuesday morning. With a projected "hard freeze" for most of Northern Florida there will be no escaping the cold unless I head for the Keys:icon_wink:

gray rider
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
We are expecting an air temp tonight of -30-35 with wind chills in the -60-70 degree range tonight. I worked on one of my cars in my heated shop this afternoon with the gas furnace set at 55 degrees. I was comfortable with a light jacket and cap on. The furnace ran about every 45 minutes. I'm sure glad my contractor advised me to super insulate with foam insulation in the walls and double insulation in the ceiling and attic. We also put in the highest grade overhead garage doors which also have insulated glass windows. I doubt that heating my shop without these upgrades would have been practical. This shop was many years in planning and it has already proven to be my Winter sanctuary as I am now retired. So by Spring/May I will have everything buffed, polished, tweaked, tightened, adjusted, upgraded, modified, painted, lubed, inflated, deflated, jacked up, jacked down and ready for Spring!

bstroh59
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
You know it's cold when Weather Bug uses an igloo to illustrate how cold it is. :yikes:
Feel sorry for the people in Central Minnesota. Actual temps of -35 this morning, with wind chills of 60 below.

austin_tech
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
You know it's cold when Weather Bug uses an igloo to illustrate how cold it is. :yikes:
Feel sorry for the people in Central Minnesota. Actual temps of -35 this morning, with wind chills of 60 below.

Ok, wow, I'm freezing my ass off at 21 degrees ABOVE zero this morning in Austin.
Godspeed to you northerners!

Deer Slayer
01-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Looking to have a three dog night here in NC. I must go and seek two more.. 'freezing-cold'

Retired Army
01-06-2014, 01:16 PM
This is the first time I have heard it referred to a polar vortex. Don't care what it's called it's damn cold. :yikes:

gray rider
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
The coldest I observed this morning on my thermometer was -28 degrees. There was a 10-12 mph wind out of the northwest this morning and it was just intolerably cold. The blood circulation in my hands isn't good so I don't think I would last outside more than a few minutes even with the best gloves. Needless to say my wife and I stayed home today and will do the same tomorrow.

Bama Bagger
01-07-2014, 04:09 AM
My backyard weather station shows it to be 5 F degrees with a wind chill at -3 F degrees here in North Central Alabama. I've been down here for 20+ years and I know this is the coldest it's ever been here! Our normal daily highs for this time of year are roughly 45 to 55 F degrees allowing you to ride with some good cold weather gear but this is ridiculous as even with my Gerbing Hybrid Heated Gloves and the F6B's heated grips, I'd be in trouble quickly with riding wind chill effect!

Bring on Spring PLEASE!!! :nojoke: Besides, I have about 25 mods to do on my F6B to get her ready for the upcoming 'riding' riding season! :yikes:

Steve 0080
01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
WOW!!!! is all I can say...I have no ideal how people in the North deal with the cold... I have lived in MI and OH and was the oldest child so I had to have the sidewalks cleaned by 7AM. As I remember it sucked the big one! Here in Central Florida it is 34' and it is bone chilling because it is a wet cold... Oh well in three days this to will pass and it will back to the bike !!!!

jkelley
01-07-2014, 09:41 AM
The coldest I observed this morning on my thermometer was -28 degrees. There was a 10-12 mph wind out of the northwest this morning and it was just intolerably cold. The blood circulation in my hands isn't good so I don't think I would last outside more than a few minutes even with the best gloves. Needless to say my wife and I stayed home today and will do the same tomorrow.

You can have all of that crap.

We were -3 this morning and I am not the happiest of campers. Don't know what the wind chill was because at this point I really don't see it making much difference between real cold and damn cold. We went from the wettest year on record last year to breaking a cold record set back in 1879 today.

Phantom
01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
'cold'

It's Fa Fa Fa Fa Fareaking COLD this morning, 20 degrees feels like 8 degrees. Where's Al Gore when you need him :nutkick: :banghead:

austin_tech
01-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Geared up and took the 25+ mile ride into work today in the cold -- for grins. Cold as hell -- 22 degrees!
Anyone beat this?

FYI, I had to stop at a Starbuck's halfway in to get feeling back in my fingers. Couldn't even feel the grip heat after 45 min ...

1951vbs
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
'freezing-cold'
Geared up and took the 25+ mile ride into work today in the cold -- for grins. Cold as hell -- 22 degrees!
Anyone beat this?

FYI, I had to stop at a Starbuck's halfway in to get feeling back in my fingers. Couldn't even feel the grip heat after 45 min ...

Not braggin, but I do that several times a winter getting to work (my F6B is my car). Official 7 degrees this morning in Charlotte but only have 20 miles to go, use Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves, one size larger boots with extra thick wool socks, fleece pants liners, Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, balaclava and full face helmet. It was much worse when I had a 113 mile (each way) commute'freezing-cold'. Supposed to be 11 degrees tomorrow-heat wave:041:

jkelley
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
And I thought it was rough getting in my car this morning?:yikes:

You guys can have it, coldest I have ever ridden in was low 20's but it aint likely to happen any time soon again.

Was not a pleasant experience no matter what gear you wear. My bike is happy on the tender for the time being.

I will have to miss riding really bad to get her out below 30 to go to work in the dark. Maybe February?

bobo
01-07-2014, 12:41 PM
hi new member from timmins ontario to-day -36 f wind chill -45f with the wind chill i think some of you boys have it warmer than we do. we have been in this cold weather for about three weeks now and our riding season begins late april.

austin_tech
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
hi new member from timmins ontario to-day -36 f wind chill -45f with the wind chill i think some of you boys have it warmer than we do. we have been in this cold weather for about three weeks now and our riding season begins late april.

Welcome aboard! Bust out the snowmobile, though, right? Sweet! :041:

jkelley
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I would be busting out the U-Haul!

Bama Bagger
01-08-2014, 03:10 AM
Exactly! :agree: And welcome to our Canuck Friend! .welcome20.

1951vbs
01-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Weather service reported 14 degrees in Charlotte this morning but the F6B registered 22.

Much nicer than yesterday, I actually had to turn down my heated jacket liner (now I am braggin a little-about my Gerbing heated gear):clap2: Supposed to be 60 by the weekend!!! I'm ready.

Bama Bagger
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Woke up this morning to 15 F degrees and now a "Balmy" 25 F degrees...bring on the thaw! :icon_doh: