PDA

View Full Version : Trip and ride ?

choptop
01-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Have been agonizing over and dreaming of the F6b for quite some time now. Missed my chance on a test ride last fall and am in the dead center of a c o l d Wi. winter right now and it will be a while before another test ride day comes around. Would not be unheard of me buying something before actually trying it out, especially in this case w/having read all I have read and following this forum for quite some time and the excellent reviews that I read, but I would rather ride it before I commit to buying one. I have rode v twins for as long as I have ridden, love that look and the ease, although not on the pocket book, of customizing and the F6b would be a real departure for me.

I have been considering taking a long weekend mini vacation, say to Florida, fly in, rent a bike and do a couple of days of riding, F6b style, and go home w/a better idea of the bike. I have done very little planning on this, am thinking mid Feb, maybe flying into Miami, hopefully having pre rented a F6b and head down to the Keys or wherever. Florida F6b riders, your thoughts.

choptop
01-05-2014, 05:00 PM
After doing a little research, I think that it could turn into an expensive test ride/mini vacation, better to wait and put that couple of thousand dollars into the down payment. lol

FlaMike
01-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Well it's a nice thought. but the actual renting of an F6B is gonna be the tough part. None that I know of in Fla but check with EagleRiders.

If your motorcycling experience has been mostly V twins, then F6B will be a big departure. Not a bad thing, just very different. You can hear and read all the opinions you want but only you can decide what's gonna work for you.

I laugh when I read any compare between V twins and a Wing (or F6B). They use terms like it lacks "character," or it's too smooth. Hey a 40's Harley or Indian have "character" in spades, but I wouldn't want to ride 600mi days on it.

For me, I had a fair amount of V Twin experience (6 HD's) but I also had 2 Valks & an 1800 Wing bout 10yrs ago. So I knew exactly what I was getting. A very smooth motor, that pulls hard when you asks it to, but delivers all day riding at any speed without breaking a sweat. This bike also offers a good bit of weather protection, very little motor heat, strong aftermarket & dealer network support, and excellent handling for bike weighting 800+lbs. And not to mention the wow factor.

Good luck in your quest. 'riding'

choptop
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I have no doubt that I would love the F6b, to the point that if a good deal come about and I had the money in hand, I would buy it w/out ever riding one. Harley just got paid off, would keep it, if finances allowed, just for the V twin experience when I wanted it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Well it's a nice thought. but the actual renting of an F6B is gonna be the tough part. None that I know of in Fla but check with EagleRiders.

If your motorcycling experience has been mostly V twins, then F6B will be a big departure. Not a bad thing, just very different. You can hear and read all the opinions you want but only you can decide what's gonna work for you.

I laugh when I read any compare between V twins and a Wing (or F6B). They use terms like it lacks "character," or it's too smooth. Hey a 40's Harley or Indian have "character" in spades, but I wouldn't want to ride 600mi days on it.

For me, I had a fair amount of V Twin experience (6 HD's) but I also had 2 Valks & an 1800 Wing bout 10yrs ago. So I knew exactly what I was getting. A very smooth motor, that pulls hard when you asks it to, but delivers all day riding at any speed without breaking a sweat. This bike also offers a good bit of weather protection, very little motor heat, strong aftermarket & dealer network support, and excellent handling for bike weighting 800+lbs. And not to mention the wow factor

Good luck in your quest. 'riding'

Similar experience - Good Summary; Best bike I've owned yet and have some really good ones.
Good Luck.
J

MichaelG
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Choptop, it sounds like you are thinking in the right direction. I have intentionally bought a lot of my "new" bikes in the month of February, because after the ones the dealers sell for Christmas, either as gifts to loved ones, or as self-gifts, then the folks seeking even better deals after the first of the year, and after seeing the new bikes at the International Bike Shows that travel the country...sales seriously drop off for the dealers in February. People are paying the credit card bills from Christmas purchases, the cold has really set in, and the dealers are doing what they can to keep the doors open...in the Northern States.

Being that you are in Wisconsin, this is all especially true. Give some thought to "working" on a deal in late January...but not making the deal yet. Keep the dealer on the hook for a week or two. Then reel them in...in mid February, when they are really hurting for that sale, and make the best final deal you can.

Also, look at getting a leftm over 2013 model year F6B, as the only difference in the 2014 model year is the Yellow color. If you want a Black one, or a Red one, then a 2013 model year will save you some bucks, and with the 2014 bikes hitting the showroom just about then, they are happy to get rid of that 2013 bike.

If a dealer in your area can't bring down the price to make you happy, we do have sponsors of this forum, like Honda of Russellville, that have been very nice to a lot of forum members, and sell bikes very low, in comparison. It may be worth the short flight to Arkansas to make this deal, and by then the ice will be thawing...and they do pick you up at the airport.

Just food for thought..."coffee"

choptop
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Choptop, it sounds like you are thinking in the right direction. I have intentionally bought a lot of my "new" bikes in the month of February, because after the ones the dealers sell for Christmas, either as gifts to loved ones, or as self-gifts, then the folks seeking even better deals after the first of the year, and after seeing the new bikes at the International Bike Shows that travel the country...sales seriously drop off for the dealers in February. People are paying the credit card bills from Christmas purchases, the cold has really set in, and the dealers are doing what they can to keep the doors open...in the Northern States.

Being that you are in Wisconsin, this is all especially true. Give some thought to "working" on a deal in late January...but not making the deal yet. Keep the dealer on the hook for a week or two. Then reel them in...in mid February, when they are really hurting for that sale, and make the best final deal you can.

Also, look at getting a leftm over 2013 model year F6B, as the only difference in the 2014 model year is the Yellow color. If you want a Black one, or a Red one, then a 2013 model year will save you some bucks, and with the 2014 bikes hitting the showroom just about then, they are happy to get rid of that 2013 bike.

If a dealer in your area can't bring down the price to make you happy, we do have sponsors of this forum, like Honda of Russellville, that have been very nice to a lot of forum members, and sell bikes very low, in comparison. It may be worth the short flight to Arkansas to make this deal, and by then the ice will be thawing...and they do pick you up at the airport.

Just food for thought..."coffee"

My thoughts, kind of exactly. Their has been a '13 ,not apposed to used or '13, at a dealer, 50 miles from me, since the summer. Will start talking to them soon. Have definitely thought about Russellville and may go that route, am kind of interested in the extended Honda warranty.

ED209
01-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Choptop, you may consider Bike Week Daytona. They have test rides on almost any bike on the market. I am sure they will have F6B and F6C Valkyrie test rides this year.

MichaelG
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
kind of interested in the extended Honda warranty.

Choptop, before you buy that Extended Honda Warranty, you may want to wait and see if this forum can swing a big discount for a group purchase through one of our sponsors, or a friendly dealer, which can save you, and the rest of us a lot of coin.

You have up to three years before you NEED to buy that Extended Warranty, because as long as it is purchased before the original warranty is expired, then the Extended Warranty is simply an extension of the original one.

Unless the selling dealer wants to throw a 4 year Extended Warranty in with the bike, or little or no cost, to make the deal, then you might as well wait.

"coffee"

bstroh59
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Hey Choptop,
I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but you may want to talk to Jeff at Storm Lake Honda. www.stormlakehonda.com

He's had some great deals and I've bought 2 bikes there, so it may be worth your drive. He will deal over the phone, and you can trust the price he gives you. Do your research for add-on's that you want and he can give you a good price on that too.

Hook
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I only put a little over 100 miles because it was so cold today....It only got up to 80 today brrrr....I love SoCal :039:

motozeke
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I only put a little over 100 miles because it was so cold today....It only got up to 80 today brrrr....I love SoCal :039:

I wear a black leather perforated jacket, and the wind/weather protection on this bike is so good that I start to get uncomfortably warm at about 75 degrees. There's just not enough wind flow! That's the flip side of the coin, but I'll take that deal every day and twice on Sunday. Good riddance to wind blast.

Steve 0080
01-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Choptop.....Fly into Sanford airport, or Orlando...which ever is cheaper and I can pick you up...you can ride my bike for a couple of days, if you can stand the chrome !!!! I have never ridden a bike or car or truck before I bought it...never under stood the need. But I do understand how some folks would. There is the offer...up to you !

It was 81" today and I got in a short 40 mile ride...it will be 80' again by Friday....

choptop
01-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Miles, thanks for the info on the warranty. 120ci, been a while since I have been to bike week, good idea on the test ride, but unfortunately, I won't make it this year. bstroh59,will check out Storm Lake Honda, I am 50 miles east of the Twin Cities. Steve 0080, very, very generous offer, have always made a habit of not riding other peoples bikes but it would be a wonderful excuse to get out of this ice box for a couple of days, share a few drinks and meals w/a forum friend. Thanks, will sleep a few times on that. It is a black one, the faster color, isn't it ? lol

Steve 0080
01-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Offer stands.... never understood the " no one can ride my bike " deal..... it is just a machine !!!

jkelley
01-06-2014, 10:39 AM
You got some darn good advice and an excellent offer from Steve.

I agree Steve I have never understood the "no one can ride mine." But I do want to know who and have a reasonable understanding of their abilities before I part with the key. I know many riders I wouldn't let ride my lawn mower.LOL

I think you should at least ride one for a couple of hours, since you said you are an HD guy as I am, the only thing I found hard to get used to was the riding position. Now I am pretty happy with it but it did take some modifications, and add's to accomplish that. In stock form I could not take riding the bike for more than a few hours. In Handling the F6b wins hands down! Personally I ride mine and the Harley sits, and will likely be sold next year.

The biggest thing you will love is there is not one thing you will need to do performance wise, These things run smooth, flawless and quiet.
Shaft drive to me is a big plus, as is the changing of the rear tire.

The worst thing is all the plastic you have to remove to do an air filter change, but keep in mind that is an infrequent occurrence.

Basic maintenance is very easy. The paint is not even close to being in a class with Harleys, if that is important to you as Miles said Honda of Russellville will get one done any color you want.

As with most anything else there is a learning curve but nothing you can get hold of pretty quick. All in all a great machine, but is a different animal compared to Harley.

Scotrod
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
FWIW, I did not test ride an F6B prior to purchase. Sat on one a lot though!! :icon_biggrin:

The riding position is different, but actually it was a lot easier to adapt to that I thought it would be.

My 'complaint' list is a whole lot shorter than my 'likes' list!!!

1. I wish there was H/T shifter available today like the old 'Rattlebars' version. (If it would work w/mini boards) Downshifting w/the OEM shifter is no sweat, but I have lazy toes when upshifting LOL!!
I had a Kury H/T and upshifts were sweet, but the way the Kury interacts with the OEM shifter 'messes with my serenity' during downshifts more than the OEM. (Remember,, lazy toes!!) ***FWIW, the powerband of the 6 is so wide, and so smooth, you can pretty much handle anything from ~35~ to 125 mph in 5th. Very little shifting unless you are stopping or starting,,,

2. There are times when it's so quiet and smooth, I get a bit drowsy!!! LOL!!

3. When riding it up a ramp into my pickup, the fairing obstructs the line of sight,,, The ramp 'disappears',,, Until you get it up in the truck, there is a little 'voice' in the back of you head that makes you feel like you're making a "hold my beer and watch THIS!" You-Tube movie!! :yikes:

austin_tech
01-06-2014, 04:48 PM

They probably taxed you $5 for each mile out there too -- enjoy that SoCal! :icon_lol::moon:

choptop
01-06-2014, 06:23 PM
At 5'8"and 225 lb w/an inseam of 32" I ride leaning forward, into the bars, elbows almost locked. Had the Warrior and still the Harley set up that way and would try to get the F6b, the same. Have a strong back and that position works well for me.