PDA

View Full Version : Not made in China?

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm here in Italy staying for now in Mandello del Lario, home of my beloved Moto Guzzi. One of the little things I've noticed is the lack of "made in China" items, the kind of stuff that in the USA typically would be from China. For example, the silverware at every restaurant we've been to has been marked "made in Italy". Yesterday my wife bought a pair of socks, the clerk made it clear they were made it Italy. Ditto a silk scarf. Today I bought a green-white-red Vespa pin for my collection, and it was also made in Italy. Back in the USA even the Harley-Davidson dealer pins are made in China. I suppose the question is; would you pay more for something made in the USA?

Steve 0080
05-19-2013, 12:17 AM
They question should not be " would you buy American " to be it is not available from America......I think the point is we have out sourced all of our manufacturing...just sayin...

bob109
05-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Unfortunately for us Americans, we allowed the major industries of our time to promote "quantity over quality". The perfect example was our auto manufacturers. In the 60's/70's they were producing high performance "rust buckets" with nary a eye for quality. We had good skilled labor but allowed a corporate philosophy to breed which was interested in the bottom line:shock:.

At that time, a man named W. Edward Deming approached American manufactures about "quality in every product they build" and they laughed and brushed him off:icon_frown:. He took his ideas on quality to Japan where they embraced his statistical approach to quality and hence we have products form Toyota, Honda etc. which give people/consumers what they wanted all along, namely "things built to last".

Here's a bit of info on Deming worth reading:icon_biggrin:

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kxCo5hRIG0AwRJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1cDFiaHZ vBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA5OV8xM Tc-/SIG=1227d3fkj/EXP=1368986562/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Retired Army
09-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Greed makes the world go around. He who makes the most money could wind up ruling the world.

Scotrod
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Greed makes the world go around. He who makes the most money could wind up ruling the world.

Yep,

Profit trumps product.