PDA

View Full Version : New Bassani F6B Exhaust

Gperson
01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Hello Everyone!

Curious if anyone has any experience with Bassani exhaust systems. I understand they have been making motorcycle exhaust systems since 1969. They have a new slip on available for the F6B.:041: I think they sound great!!!

Take a look & listen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClyT6zQFCk

Bassani website link:
http://www.bassani.com/

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences with the Bassani brand.

Ride Safe,
G

hiflyer
01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Out of all the aftermarket systems I have owned, I liked these the best. Had em on a road king.

chipmaker
01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Don't seem to loud...

$600...
http://www.indysuperbikes.com/product.php?productid=213370

GONRDN
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Sounds awesome, I like the end caps too.

hiflyer
01-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Sounds awesome, I like the end caps too.

I had originally planned on leaving my exhaust stock.......NOT NOW!!!!!

hiflyer
01-10-2014, 11:27 PM
One other thing, the end caps are aluminum, to keep the little "silver bullets" shiny, takes some Mothers aluminum polish, especially after a ride in the rain. No biggie.

FlaMike
01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
:yes: I LIKE this exhaust. Sounds good, not too loud. Definitely on my list !!

RT59
01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Nice... There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned 6-banger hitting its power band on a set of good pipes..

Philbert40
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
But....do they make them in BLACK?

Scotrod
01-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Does anybody know what type of baffles Bassani uses?

Cobra has 'louvered/no packing' baffles,
I believe Rush has differ internal dims, perhaps with packing,(?)
V + H is chambered, no pack
Torqmaster ?,
Magnaflow uses perforated pipe with rockwool,

I've always been a fan of 'packed' vs 'nekid' baffles.

Bassani use's ??????

Cleaver1
01-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Just wondering how loud these are at cruising speeds? Say at 55, 65, 75. Also is there any "drone" at these speeds? They sound awesome from the clip. On my Valkyrie I cut the piggies and it sounded better, but the drone at cruising speed was very annoying on a long ride.

Gperson
01-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

I contacted Bassani and had a very nice conversation with Kurt. He informed me that they use a 2.0" baffle that is not packed or wrapped...nothing to wear and blow out or exhaust get louder over time... After extensive testing, they only offer 1 baffle. The exhaust replaces the entire cover/shield as in one piece. As far as DRONE...that dreaded word....There is absolutely NO DRONE at any speed with this exhaust. This was a concern and has been addressed.

The F6B exhaust system is polished stainless steel, unlike some of the other exhausts on the market. I was told that this exahust will not pit or rust over time like some of the other chrome exhausts on the market. After riding in the rain, ocasional polishing of the exhaust can be expected to maintain it's brand new lustre.

As far as black, that is not on the drawing board at this time. I told Kurt that many are looking for the black...he said they will consider it.

There is a choice of 3 exhaust tips. It was brought to my attention that if you opt for one of the 2 slash cut, you can angle it up, down or to either side. Kinda cool don't ya think??

I think I will be ordering mine very soon :icon_lol:.... not sure what tip I want though.....decisions...decisions. 'riding'

Hope this helps answer a few questions...

Ride Safe,
G

opas ride
01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Hey Everyone,

I contacted Bassani and had a very nice conversation with Kurt. He informed me that they use a 2.0" baffle that is not packed or wrapped...nothing to wear and blow out or exhaust get louder over time... After extensive testing, they only offer 1 baffle. The exhaust replaces the entire cover/shield as in one piece. As far as DRONE...that dreaded word....There is absolutely NO DRONE at any speed with this exhaust. This was a concern and has been addressed.

The F6B exhaust system is polished stainless steel, unlike some of the other exhausts on the market. I was told that this exahust will not pit or rust over time like some of the other chrome exhausts on the market. After riding in the rain, ocasional polishing of the exhaust can be expected to maintain it's brand new lustre.

As far as black, that is not on the drawing board at this time. I told Kurt that many are looking for the black...he said they will consider it.

There is a choice of 3 exhaust tips. It was brought to my attention that if you opt for one of the 2 slash cut, you can angle it up, down or to either side. Kinda cool don't ya think??

I think I will be ordering mine very soon :icon_lol:.... not sure what tip I want though.....decisions...decisions. 'riding'

Hope this helps answer a few questions...

Ride Safe,
G
Let us know how they sound and fit, etc.etc. when you get them please...Mighty interested if they sound good and eliminate or reduce the drone sounds that I now have with the Cobra's....Otherwise I am going to take the advise of some on the board and go back to stockers...

Yeahoo Whoyah
01-14-2014, 12:23 AM
I had a Bassani 2-into-1 system on my 2005 FXDX. It was too loud. The kid I sold the bike to liked it. The F6B is fine by me with stock mufflers.

Gperson
01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello all,

<<FYI>>
I got an email from Bassani today letting me know that their new BLACK F6B stainless steel exhaust is in production. Their new exhaust system is custom made (tuned) for the F6B. As stated before, I was told that this exhaust does not drone :041:

Hope this info is helpful to those looking for a black exhaust system option.

Ride safe and often,
G

stepbill
02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Curious if anyone has installed one yet and what their thoughts were? 'popcorn and coke'

indiatango
02-22-2014, 10:27 PM
I ordered a set this week and they are supposed to ship on 3/5. I'll throw up a review once they are installed.

stepbill
02-23-2014, 07:44 AM
I ordered a set this week and they are supposed to ship on 3/5. I'll throw up a review once they are installed.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing what you think about them. Also curious to see he they have the drone or not.

GONRDN
02-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Interested also in them.

Bama Bagger
02-26-2014, 01:56 AM
I was also going to leave mine stock (other than installing the Torq Loopz) but now I might have to change my mind. Please keep us informed going forward!!! .notworthy.

DJ TONY G
02-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Interested also in them.

But in black (flat)

indiatango
02-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I saw the post by Gperson advising of a black version going into production. I thought about going that route but with the season around the corner and no ETA, I simply couldn't wait. I can always have them coated later if desired.

yellow rex
02-28-2014, 12:34 AM
I talk to bassani yesterday he told me you would have to have your heat shields
coated black yourself and he should have the black in two weeks, to call him
back March 12.

Bama Bagger
02-28-2014, 02:35 AM
Definitely have changed my mind and adding these to my mods list. I have done some more research and these pipes look and sound great! With me cutting out the cats and adding the Torq Loopz I'm thinking the performance and the sound of my Bagger will be just right!;roughrider;

indiatango
03-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I received my mufflers this week and got them installed yesterday. The install was very straight forward taking about 30 minutes in all with me taking my time. I am extremely happy with the sound of this flat 6 with these pipes as I can actually hear it running (my personal preference). It is extremely mellow at idle but really growls when you twist the throttle hard. Everyone was asking about drone which I don't believe is an issue, depending on your definition of drone. You certainly hear the pipes tone while in operation and more so up to around 60mph. But at greater speed say around 70, it becomes more high pitched and begins to fade behind the wind noise. All things considered I ride with a skid lid, almost deaf in one ear, and suffer from tinnitus so I may not be the best reference on this subject.

Now, there is an issue I plan to contact Bassani about on Monday. The fit of the existing and retained front shields to these mufflers is at best atrocious. The tabs that hold the shields in place are welded to the outer edge of the muffler which is not tapered at the front like the factory muffler. This causes the shield to protrude and leave a gap of 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the shield and the muffler. They may have been better served to weld these tabs to the inside which would have closed these gaps better. There is at least a 1/4 inch difference between the left and right as well and I have confirmed that the tabs are completely in the factory slots on the shields.

Here is a side shot showing the complete muffler.

Here is the fit on the left side which has a little less than a 1/4 inch gap

Here is the right side with closer to a 1/2 inch gap

And this shows how far they protrude past the rear bags, in all about a couple of inches.

GONRDN
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I love the endcaps and sound. Not crazy about the gap between the pipe and forward shield though. Let us know what they say.

Scotrod
03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
The slip-ons themselves have no heat shields, correct? (What we see is the 'exterior' of the muffler body itself, not a separate 'shield' that covers over a separate muffler body like OEM)

I do like the tips!!!!

indiatango
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
GONRDN, I will advise once I speak with someone at Bassani. I believe a simple redesign would resolve the issue with the gap, though that can become extremely costly in the manufacturing world.

Scotrod, there are no heat shields on the slip-ons themselves. What you see is the actual muffler cans which Bassani states is polished stainless, no chrome.

I like the sound and the look of these tips as well. They also offer slash cuts in black and polished.

Scotrod
03-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I can see where a small gap may be required/desired, but of course, they should be equal on both sides. I wonder if a slight 'field adjustment' (bending) of the tabs might bring them closer to equal? Not sure what/if any adjustment in the remaining OEM shield may be available,,,

GiddyupF6B
03-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I had the same problem with my Torqmaster Daytona exhaust. I contacted them and it was found that the were made wrong. The tabs were welded too close together on the batch I got. Jimmy sent me a brand new set of pipes. I am installing them this week so hopefully all will be well. The gap drives me crazy....some people aren't that picky.

stepbill
03-10-2014, 10:48 AM
GONRDN, I will advise once I speak with someone at Bassani. I believe a simple redesign would resolve the issue with the gap, though that can become extremely costly in the manufacturing world.

Scotrod, there are no heat shields on the slip-ons themselves. What you see is the actual muffler cans which Bassani states is polished stainless, no chrome.

I like the sound and the look of these tips as well. They also offer slash cuts in black and polished.

You may want to let them know that other people are interested in these pipes but are concerned about the gap. Waiting to hear what they have to say. All in all, they look great!

indiatango
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I just got off of the phone with Kurt at Bassani. He was most interested in my satisfaction with the product and the issue I am having, requesting the photos for review. I have sent everything off and he stated he will call me back after he takes a look.

GiddyupF6B, I am of the opinion their tabs might be better served on the inside of the cylinder. Unlike Honda, the Bassani muffler cylinder is simply a straight tube without any taper on the front. If you look at the stock muffler, Honda has a slight taper, placing the tabs further inboard which draws the heat shield closer.

FlaMike
03-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Pipes look good and those tips are exactly the ones I'd get. Hope they get the issue resolved.

GONRDN
03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Pipes look good and those tips are exactly the ones I'd get. Hope they get the issue resolved.

+1!!

stepbill
03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I went to CruiserCustomizing's web site and looked at their picture of the exhaust and it looks like there could be a slight gap in the photo.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/bassani-4-inch-slip-on-muffers-polished-w-black-fluted-end-cap-pair-honda-gl1800-goldwing-12-14-gl1800-f6b-13-14/part/BASS-2F17T

Scotrod
03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Photo-shopped. (Not uncommon)
IMHO, there will be a gap as part of their design. Would be preferred to be minimal/equal.

indiatango
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I am of the same opinion. If it's by design that is fine, but as stated both minimal and equal.

indiatango
03-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Ok, I communicated with Kurt at Bassani yesterday regarding this issue. He received the pictures and immediately saw the issue. He stated however that he will not be able to fix this issue until the end of the month since his R&D guy is in Australia and will not be back until the 28th. He will then need to get a bike in to test fit the mufflers and identify the issue. He stated he would send me a corrected set once they find a resolution. I will call him after the first of April to check status. Until then he said to just leave the pipes on and ride, which is exactly what I plan to do.

stepbill
03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Ok, I communicated with Kurt at Bassani yesterday regarding this issue. He received the pictures and immediately saw the issue. He stated however that he will not be able to fix this issue until the end of the month since his R&D guy is in Australia and will not be back until the 28th. He will then need to get a bike in to test fit the mufflers and identify the issue. He stated he would send me a corrected set once they find a resolution. I will call him after the first of April to check status. Until then he said to just leave the pipes on and ride, which is exactly what I plan to do.

If you would, please keep us updated on how you like these pipes. I'm very interested in getting a set! Take care and ride safe!

indiatango
03-13-2014, 06:39 PM
I certainly will. Other than this gap issue, which at this point I firmly believe will be corrected, I am extremely pleased with the product.

Bama Bagger
03-14-2014, 12:12 AM
I thought I noticed the gap(s) on some other photos I saw for these pipes and was worried about same. Please certainly keep us informed as I am looking to purchase these pipes in a few weeks from now! Thanks for a good written detail of your experience with the Bassini Exhaust units. :clap2:

Boltar
03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Picked up an F6B Black delux a week ago, I had the dealer install the Bassani polished stainless with slash cut tips before I picked it up. I have not had nearly enough time to ride, but here are my first impressions-

1) Great "Porsche flat six" sound reving at a stop light and running through the gears.
2) No drone at highway speeds so far- with stock windshield exhaust note gets lost in the wind noise above 60 mph.
3) Strange harmonic bass effect around 40 MPH around town with full face helmet/stock windshield/no ear plugs- sounds like a "porting" subwoofer...
4) Yes I have the strange difference in "gap" with the heat shields- left side is tight (1/8"), right side is more like 3/8"s.

I comtemplated waiting for the Black version, but was concerned about finish durability, and did not want to goof with having the heatshield powder coated...

Overall, very happy with the pipes, may work the gap issue if some fix is in the mix.

Boltar

a1scoot
03-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know if the Bassani exhausts have the indentation on the right side exhaust to allow access to the final drive
oil drain/fill plug like the stock unit? Would be a pain to remove the right side exhaust every time you want to change the
drive unit oil….
a1scoot:icon_mrgreen:

Bama Bagger
03-31-2014, 03:41 PM

Hey Indiatango,

Any new word from Kurt at Bassini yet? We impatient ones :banghead: are sitting here nervously waiting an update! :shock:

indiatango
03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Impatience is my greatest virtue. Kurt did not want me to contact him until after April 1. I figure that would give his engineer a few days to look at the issue after his return. I will certainly be on the phone with him April 2nd and post the results.

Bama Bagger
04-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Impatience is my greatest virtue.

Me too! :icon_doh: Thanks!!!

Cleaver1
04-05-2014, 07:15 AM
With as many views as this tread is getting, everyone must be checking for some news.

Steve 0080
04-05-2014, 08:51 AM
The heat shield may be lose because you missed one of the clips!!!! I did that one time when I was changing out pipes…..

indiatango
04-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Actually the shields aren't loose, they just protrude. I checked the clips several times thinking they were missing the slots inside the shield. Unfortunately they are all inserted correctly.

I reached out to Kurt the end of last week and haven't heard back yet. I'm certain the engineer is working on a solution and will report.

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 06:39 PM
The suspense is killing me! :popcorn: :shock: :icon_frown:

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
With as many views as this tread is getting, everyone must be checking for some news.

With close to 2,500 views, someone needs to let Bassini know they potentially have a "vein of gold" waiting to be mined! :cheers:

indiatango
04-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Well, at this point I have emailed Kurt twice over the last four days requesting an update and have not received a response. I have given him some latitude, but a simple we are working on it would suffice. I'm making a phone call tomorrow.

Scotrod
04-09-2014, 07:59 AM
With close to 2,500 views, someone needs to let Bassini know they potentially have a "vein of gold" waiting to be mined! :cheers:

Eh,,, perhaps,,, Cobra had a lot of interest at first but,,, well,,, The flat 6 has a 'tone of it's own',,, Skeptical that anything less than a 'bike specific' tuned chamber system would silence the beast,,

But then again, sound is subjective.

Terje
04-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I also like the bassani pipes, but I do not understand why they uses 4" pipes. So I made my own in 4.5" pipes to avoid the gap between the pipes and the heat shield.

Scotrod
04-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Looks good Terje!!!! :yes: Looks like 1 piece from front to back,,, no seams! Good job!

Bama Bagger
04-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Look awesome! :lolup: Maybe this is what needs to be passed along to Kurt at Bassini!!! :yes:

Bama Bagger
04-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, at this point I have emailed Kurt twice over the last four days requesting an update and have not received a response. I have given him some latitude, but a simple we are working on it would suffice. I'm making a phone call tomorrow.

indiatango,

Have you heard back from Bassini yet? If not, do you think if I (along with others from the forum) called him and started pressuring him a little that would help? :nutkick: If so, what number should we call?

Gperson
04-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Hey Bama,
Great idea to call Kurt at Bassani number is (714) 630-1821. I think they knowingly sent these out like this in such a rush to go to market....at the expense and disappointment of all who have previously purchased. It is ridiculous that there has been no contact or answers on their part.... I was about ready to pull the trigger for this exhaust and this crap hits the fan.:icon_doh:

I think under the circumstances I will purchase the Rush exhaust with the 2.0 baffles, 4025B tips and call it a day. Life is too short to put up with such bullshit!! These aftermarket manufacturers need to understand....don't go to market until YOUR product is ready. We all are sick and tired of having to modify and tinker with a item that was not done correctly by the manufacturer.:nono:

Just my thoughts....
Gperson

Phantom
04-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Sorry guys, but 3 months of this drama is getting old. It is obvious that the manufacturer could care less if they sell to the F6B Owners or not. Not interested in promoting a dead horse.:banghead:

Bama Bagger
04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Hey Bama,
Great idea to call Kurt at Bassani number is (714) 630-1821. I think they knowingly sent these out like this in such a rush to go to market....at the expense and disappointment of all who have previously purchased. It is ridiculous that there has been no contact or answers on their part.... I was about ready to pull the trigger for this exhaust and this crap hits the fan.:icon_doh:

I think under the circumstances I will purchase the Rush exhaust with the 2.0 baffles, 4025B tips and call it a day. Life is too short to put up with such bullshit!! These aftermarket manufacturers need to understand....don't go to market until YOUR product is ready. We all are sick and tired of having to modify and tinker with a item that was not done correctly by the manufacturer.:nono:

Just my thoughts....
Gperson

Gperson,

I'm going to call Kurt tomorrow and register my feelings to the above! :banghead:

Thanks for the information!!!

Bama Bagger
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Sorry guys, but 3 months of this drama is getting old. It is obvious that the manufacturer could care less if they sell to the F6B Owners or not. Not interested in promoting a dead horse.:banghead:

Phantom,

You are absolutely correct! I'm going to call tomorrow and kick someone in the nads! :nutkick:

Bama Bagger
04-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Okay so I called Bassini today and they are closed! Only open Monday thru Thursday...must be a booming business to close one day early each week! :jerkit: I'll keep calling them till I get through to them...Ugh! :icon_doh:

Phantom
04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Okay so I called Bassini today and they are closed! Only open Monday thru Thursday...must be a booming business to close one day early each week! :jerkit: I'll keep calling them till I get through to them...Ugh! :icon_doh:

PLEASE DON'T post any more about this !!!!

Do it in private, don't care to discuss or read about the ineptness of this company any further. Let them figure it out for themselves.

I'm tired of this drama, it's dragged on too long.

:icon_deadhorse:

indiatango
04-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Seriously, where's the drama? Just a bunch of owners hashing out an issue and looking for some answers. I appreciate your efforts in providing the platform and the thankless work involved but lighten up and just let it run. BTW, I work in tech and do a little hosting/managing as well so I know about the level of work involved.

If anybody needs any further input, either PM me or call "them" yourselves. I won't take up any more bandwidth on the subject. And one other thought in reference to that other thread, I'm not elite.

Scotrod
04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Seriously, where's the drama? Just a bunch of owners hashing out an issue and looking for some answers.

F6B owners, yes. Bassani owners? Nope!!

wroc1
05-01-2014, 07:27 AM
First thank you all for your input on pipes for the F6. I decided to go with the Bassani for two reason. The sound and the billeted cut end caps. I have read several comments on the gap between the slip on and the heat shield and after a few trial and errors on and offs of the slip ons I figured it out so I thought I would share. I was a machinist mate on submarines for years so tinkering is fun to me. First the the rubber tabs on the stock pipes that you transfer to the Bassani make sure the longer rubber insert is pointing down toward the pipes and not the shield. This in itself forces a larger gap. When that was done I noticed the gap on the right was greater that the left. SO after some looking and measuring I determined that when you push on the pipes the right pipe slips on easier and has a tendency to be pushed up further. You will notice on the stock crossover pipe the factory pipes slip on to is a welled stop which the stock pipes slip up against. The Bassani pipes DO NOT need to go on that far. As a matter of fact is you do force them that far on it pushes the heat shield out further. I backed the right pipe so it measured the same distance past the saddle bag as the left pipe (about 1 to 1 1/8 inch) and the heat shield relaxed and almost matches the left side. I then gently pushed on the right shield and it collapsed the tabs to make the gap even smaller (pushed with palm, no hammer). There is plenty of pipe with the clamps provide to ensure a tight fit. I used the mirror method to test for leaks after the engine was hot. After cleaning the SS, I fired it up and know why I bought them. Purrs like a small block at idle. Could only get a short ride do to weather and these pipes sound like a small block or Porch at speed. Can't wait to hit the big street. I could hear the radio fine with mt 12" Baggershield mainly due to the pipes extending pass the bags to show off the billeted cut end caps. I do have to give a shout out to Kurt at Bassani who was on the phone with me a couple of times while I tinkered with the gap. Great support and we both learned something. Sorry so long but I have read so much about these pipes and the gap issue I just wanted to share my solution. Will update after I hit the highway.

Scotrod
05-01-2014, 09:04 AM
wroc,

I've heard the term 'sailor proof' used before, but it sure in the hell doesn't apply to you!!

:yes:

Great intel!!! :yes:

wroc1
05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
On a sub there are no part stores around the corner. You learn to modify anything to keep the water out of the people tank. Thanks.

wroc1
05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
As requested.

Bama Bagger
05-03-2014, 12:56 PM
wroc1,

Are you happy with the remaining "gaps" measurement or if Bassini went to a slightly wider pipe, say 4.5 inch to close same, would that make the difference and match up to existing Honda look and fitment? :biggthumpup:

Thanks for your feedback! :clap2:

Phantom
05-04-2014, 08:25 AM
As requested.

wroc, I compliment you for taking the time and figuring out the problem with a solution.

Bassani should have taken the time (due diligence) to do this themselves, contacted all of you who have already purchased the pipes and given you the "FIX" for the manufacturing discrepancies that causes their pipes to push the shields outwardly. The product might be awesome and the shield issues cosmetic but they should have been quick to fix the problem upon receiving the first e-mails from their customers, instead it appears that they have been silent and had not come up with a solution or corrected the manufacturing. Mustang seats contacted their customers immediately after discovering a fitment error and re-called all of the "first-run" seats.

Hopefully they are listening and will place a stopping collar or knob on future pipes. Let's hope so, it appears that it's a simple fix on their part.

wroc1
05-05-2014, 09:59 AM
The rains have stopped and I finally got to burn the newest off the Bassani pipes. I love the sound. Nice rumble on take off but quiet at cruising so I can hear the radio. Passenger said it is definitely louder but with the tips pass the bags it doesn't effect her ability to hear the music. I tried with a open face helmet and no helmet since we don't wear full face in Florida heat. A friend use to own an older Porch with the six pack carbs on it and that's what it sounds like. Now I have the safety of sound and the sound of the power this machine possesses.

Joflewbyu2
01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Maybe the exhaust tabs can be slightly bent inward to pull the shield towards the muffler.