PDA

View Full Version : No Cruise for 2014

daleglide
01-12-2014, 12:31 AM
I was hoping Honda would listen to their customers. When I called customer service last year about the lack of an electronic cruise he said that was the number one complaint about the bike.

http://powersports.honda.com/cruiser/2014/gold-wing-f6b/options.aspx

GONRDN
01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
I'd rather have cruise control then heated grips. Because then I can put my hands in my pockets if they get cold while cruising down the highway.

chipmaker
01-12-2014, 01:08 AM
I'd rather have ABS, but it is what it is...

GONRDN
01-12-2014, 05:32 AM
I'd rather have ABS, but it is what it is...

That too!!!!:041:

FlaMike
01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
well I wanted both ABS & Cruise, but after I found out it wasn't gonna happen in 14, I got my 13.
After a month and 1000mi, I'm happy with what I got.

Maybe down the road I might consider adding a real cruise but the throttlemeister works for now.
Right now just want to 'riding' this thing!

Scotrod
01-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I'll go ahead and predict no cruise in 2015, 2016, and 20xx either. (Betcha the new Valk doesn't/won't have it either)

As far as who can't live without it, who would like it, and those who have worked around it / consider it a non-issue,,, that's a 'nuther story! :icon_biggrin:

daleglide
01-12-2014, 09:41 AM
I am not just a naysayer, I AM working on solutions. Case in point, my reply from --------.

Hi Dale,
Thanks for your enquiry. The prototype unit for the F6B is successful as of Friday last – and it is BRILLIANT. Far and away the best cruise control performance we have ever delivered. I cannot see how it could be better.

We hope to bring it to production early in 2014 – January. I doubt we will get any shipped before Christmas, but we will put the kit up on our web site late next week and start taking orders. Instructions should be available before Christmas.

The two photos attached show the key components: on the left side the computer module and the control switch – on the RHS - the new electric servo for the cruise control. Both are relatively accessible should you ever need to and neither interfere with routine servicing.

Best regards,

Tony Guymer

Director

MotorCycle Cruise Controls

6 Kingston St

Mount Waverley

Victoria, 3149

Australia

Ph +61 3 9808 2804 Fax +61 3 9808 2445

--------_CMYK_small Email: sales@--------.com Web: www.--------.com

Scotrod
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
No mention of 'solutions' in the thread title or in any of verbiage contained in the first post,,, :shrug:

Seems like we gotta pry the 'sunshine' outta ya Dale!! :icon_biggrin:

daleglide
01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
No mention of 'solutions' in the thread title or in any of verbiage contained in the first post,,, :shrug:

Seems like we gotta pry the 'sunshine' outta ya Dale!! :icon_biggrin:

I have had negative comments from you in the past and so my replies may seem jaded. So lets start the new year off right. All you had to say was "Great post thanks for the pictures!" I respect you and you respect me. No stirring the pot with sarcasm and subtle negative comments and lets both try to live up to the old sales pitch: "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." ... Peace?

opas ride
01-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Those of us who have purchased an F6B knew going in that it had no cruise or ABS and it became a non-issue...If these items are that important to you as a rider, then maybe you should consider other choices or maybe a Goldwing???.I know manufacturers need to listen to their customers ideas, but Honda apparently made this decision for a reason and feels comfortable with it....Personally I have no need for cruise and the current brake set-up works great for me, and most test rider reviews agree...But to each his own, and those who feel this is a deal breaker on this great bike are missing a truly super ride.....JMHO...and I don't need "flames"...Thank you

Pedro66
01-12-2014, 01:40 PM
I am not just a naysayer, I AM working on solutions. Case in point, my reply from --------.

Hi Dale,
Thanks for your enquiry. The prototype unit for the F6B is successful as of Friday last – and it is BRILLIANT. Far and away the best cruise control performance we have ever delivered. I cannot see how it could be better.

We hope to bring it to production early in 2014 – January. I doubt we will get any shipped before Christmas, but we will put the kit up on our web site late next week and start taking orders. Instructions should be available before Christmas.

The two photos attached show the key components: on the left side the computer module and the control switch – on the RHS - the new electric servo for the cruise control. Both are relatively accessible should you ever need to and neither interfere with routine servicing.

Best regards,

Tony Guymer

Director

MotorCycle Cruise Controls

6 Kingston St

Mount Waverley

Victoria, 3149

Australia

Thats all well and good they make great stuff but I am pretty sure that hardly anyone on here is going to pay around $1000+ Shipping for the kit (this is what the usual price is for this kit) then the 1-2 days labor to fit it, even when we looked at the Rostra kit it was half that price and no problem to supply but the labor kills it the bike has to be taken down to get to the throttle bodies to fit the cables

bob109
01-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Those of us who have purchased an F6B knew going in that it had no cruise or ABS and it became a non-issue...If these items are that important to you as a rider, then maybe you should consider other choices or maybe a Goldwing???.I know manufacturers need to listen to their customers ideas, but Honda apparently made this decision for a reason and feels comfortable with it....Personally I have no need for cruise and the current brake set-up works great for me, and most test rider reviews agree...But to each his own, and those who feel this is a deal breaker on this great bike are missing a truly super ride.....JMHO...and I don't need "flames"...Thank you

+1

Power, Agility, Dependability, Curb Appeal and a 62 pound weight reduction goal appears to have been the formula Honda applied to the F6B. Knowing that, why would anyone bother buying a 6 when what they really wanted was a "Loaded GL1800 Wing:icon_doh: The answer to that is, of course, "Price Break Point"! Folks want all the goodies of a loaded machine at a basic price. Maybe Honda should address this issue by offering a "customer deletion program". The buyer would have the ability to delete any option on a Custom Ordered Wing. Imagine how long it would take to get your hands on one. Like the auto manufacturers of old, you could sit down with your salesperson and, line by line, add or delete what you perceive to be your perfect option equipped cycle. That of course would include paint color with clear coat and the removal of the "Lazy Boy" and "Hope Chest" which adorns the rear of the Regular GL1800 Wing:icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and say you have what you will see in the future..... different colors....no changes !!!!!

Scotrod
01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
I was once told when Honda makes up its mind,,, anything else is :icon_deadhorse:

Can't say I've seen much to prove otherwise, at least not for YEARS. :shrug:

jkelley
01-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Yup, We all knew they didn't have cruise when we bought them. But some are apparently like me and had grown used to having the feature and did not realize how much they would miss it on this bike. I agree with Pete, the Labor for installation would be the killer on any addition rather it be Rostra, or MC cruise. As he said the Rostra unit cost me less than $350, but you do have to fabricate some brackets, and deal with all of the electrical. If the Mc Cruise is plug and play it may very well be worth it??? I guess that would depend on your skill set, and how deep your pockets are. I personally can not think of a tech in my area at either a dealer, or an independent shop I would trust with this installation. In my case I decided to fix the piss poor paint with a repaint and knock out the cruise control project at the same time and in reality I am very happy I did both.

Steve 0080
01-13-2014, 09:47 AM
jkelly +1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wmorgan2k
01-13-2014, 02:33 PM
yeah same boat here with the cruise, it would be nice but I've learned to live without it. If I need it that bad I'll ride my Victory. The Go Cruise works great and spending well over $1000 for convenience is just kinda crazy. Not to mention it looks like they put the controls on the wrong side of the handlebars, shouldn't that be on the other side? You know thumb style operation? I know Audiovox used to make one, my buddy put it on a VStrom and it worked great for years and it was sub $200.

chevytr1
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
I have had negative comments from you in the past and so my replies may seem jaded. So lets start the new year off right. All you had to say was "Great post thanks for the pictures!" I respect you and you respect me. No stirring the pot with sarcasm and subtle negative comments and lets both try to live up to the old sales pitch: "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." ... Peace?

Dale, I like your positive thinking and anything can be done as long as you have the $$$. After having a couple of bikes with real cruise control there is no going back, period. Love it on a long trip burning up the highway. My riding buddies all say the same, never going without again. To each his own i guess.

Ride safe all,
Doug

yellow rex
01-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Well I like cruise as well also, when it becomes available I will order one.
If the f6b had cruise I would not have three 1800 Goldwing I would sell
the 02.

Pedro66
01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Well I like cruise as well also, when it becomes available I will order one.
If the f6b had cruise I would not have three 1800 Goldwing I would sell
the 02.

There is a thread on this very board on how to install Rostra cruise for 1/3 of the cost of the Australian product and almost the same amount of work

Scotrod
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
As many have said before, buy a 2014 Wing in black, ride it 'as is' or 'retro fit' it with the F6B parts of your liking.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/gold-wing/colors.aspx

You can get (and pay for) all the bells and whistles that way. Cruise, ABS, Reverse, Navi, etc etc etc

If ya don't want/need that stuff, look for the de-contented version of the Wing,,, the F6B.

No matter where Honda draws the line, someone will say it should have been drawn elsewhere.

4DI2D
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
The answer is really very simple, just buy a Wing and cut the trunk off!

Wmorgan2k
01-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Is it hard to do a trunk removal on a Wing and make it like an F6B? Wasn't sure anyone made a kit like that. I have to admit that would be tempting that way you'd have a heated seat, ABS, Navi and Cruise. Hmmm

Lucas
01-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Folks-
The 2013 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Custom that was traded in for my 2013 F6B had cruise control. This was one feature that I was looking forward to using, but I ended up using it very infrequently. I don't miss cruise control on the F6B, and would be unlikely to order it if it was available from Honda.

The F6B brakes are much better those on the ABS-equipped Road Glide. That turned out to be a surprising discovery.

The factory-installed heated grips of the F6B Deluxe work at least as well as H-D accessory heated grips. (I've used four different sets on three different Harleys.)

Honda likely kept the cruise control off of the F6B to meet a price point for the American marketplace. The Owners Manual says that Canadian F6Bs are equipped with a tool kit, while US-market F6Bs are not. This may or may not seem rational... If one wants to solve a mystery, they need only look at Harley-Davidson, as there are plenty of marketing mysteries there.

Lucas in Phoenix

jkelley
01-14-2014, 05:59 AM
yeah same boat here with the cruise, it would be nice but I've learned to live without it. If I need it that bad I'll ride my Victory. The Go Cruise works great and spending well over $1000 for convenience is just kinda crazy. Not to mention it looks like they put the controls on the wrong side of the handlebars, shouldn't that be on the other side? You know thumb style operation? I know Audiovox used to make one, my buddy put it on a VStrom and it worked great for years and it was sub $200.

I installed mine on the right side. Some have bought stock Goldwing switches and wired those in for a factory looking install as well.

Scotrod
01-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Is it hard to do a trunk removal on a Wing and make it like an F6B? Wasn't sure anyone made a kit like that. I have to admit that would be tempting that way you'd have a heated seat, ABS, Navi and Cruise. Hmmm

All OEM parts. Bolt off, bolt on.
Schroders (sp?) did one a while back, but they started out with a BLUE 2013 wing. :icon_doh: The tri-color bike they ended up with didn't really look quite right.

dickiedeals
01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
+1

Power, Agility, Dependability, Curb Appeal and a 62 pound weight reduction goal appears to have been the formula Honda applied to the F6B. Knowing that, why would anyone bother buying a 6 when what they really wanted was a "Loaded GL1800 Wing:icon_doh: The answer to that is, of course, "Price Break Point"! Folks want all the goodies of a loaded machine at a basic price. Maybe Honda should address this issue by offering a "customer deletion program". The buyer would have the ability to delete any option on a Custom Ordered Wing. Imagine how long it would take to get your hands on one. Like the auto manufacturers of old, you could sit down with your salesperson and, line by line, add or delete what you perceive to be your perfect option equipped cycle. That of course would include paint color with clear coat and the removal of the "Lazy Boy" and "Hope Chest" which adorns the rear of the Regular GL1800 Wing:icon_biggrin:

Reading this argument is driving me nuts. I love the F6B But I miss the Hell out of CRUISE CONTROL. I am one of the yahoo's that would pay for an aftermarket unit. I'm sure many others would as well. Perhaps someone will come out with a self install kit. Like I said, I love the F6B and quite frankly don't think much of the Full touring Goldwing and never have. I have no doubt that if someone comes out with a do it yourself Cruise Control it will sell like Hot cakes!.........................Dickie

bob109
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
For all the interest on the subject of "cruise control" by current 6 owners, there is one option which has been overlooked!

Those who are "mechanically inclined" could purchase a "salvaged wing" giving them access to not only a plug & play CC but a spare rear differential, GPS etc. These factor OEM parts should fit without modification! When done stripping the accessories one requires, resell the skeletal remains and you're "golden":041:

Here's a peek at some GW Wrecks!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7iLnWdVSpU0AeM5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBs cWN2ZnBjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-660-s&va=salvage+goldwing+motorcycles

Scotrod
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I love the F6B But I miss the Hell out of CRUISE CONTROL. I am one of the yahoo's that would pay for an aftermarket unit.

Break out the wallet and call the guys 'down under' listed earlier in this thread.

Roll up the sleeves,,, Post a few pics of the install along the way,,, done!!!

Sounds like perfect winter mod material!

4DI2D
01-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Major problem with the Aussie cruise control is that it tends to cut out when you're not to the left of the yellow line.

jkelley
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Reading this argument is driving me nuts. I love the F6B But I miss the Hell out of CRUISE CONTROL. I am one of the yahoo's that would pay for an aftermarket unit. I'm sure many others would as well. Perhaps someone will come out with a self install kit. Like I said, I love the F6B and quite frankly don't think much of the Full touring Goldwing and never have. I have no doubt that if someone comes out with a do it yourself Cruise Control it will sell like Hot cakes!.........................Dickie

I don't know about being a "yahoo"? but I also think there are many that would pay! after all when Harley came out with cruise and it was optional when ordering a bike the sticker was $1000 and they sold many of them.
Wiring believe it or not is completely different ON the F6B and the standard Gold Wing. If you look at the previous threads on cruise Pete explains it a little but basically the cruise harness is not there, the throttle boss is not there, the ECM's are possibly different etc. It can be done! Has been done! and I am sure a person with some mechanical skill, basic electrical knowledge, and some determination could probably do it. The procedure with pictures is fairly well laid out in another thread that I followed with some modification. I am not an electrical expert by any means but there are some people on here that have that skill set and are very willing to answer questions. I simply followed what bstroh had done and he did most all of the leg work and figured out all of the components like the pulse divider, resistors etc. The parts list has been posted with all of the components, the brackets that were fabricated have pictures so basically you just have to decide if you think you can do it. If you can change the air filter on one, and do some fabrication of the needed brackets I would think you may have the mechanical ability. If you can follow direction and PROPERLY tap into a few wires ( soldering etc ) I would think you should be able to do it.
However, ( disclaimer ) this is not an easy job that can be done in a day or so! It is what I would consider major surgery so to speak and I guess you could screw up in a big way if you were not very sure of yourself and if in doubt you might want to consider leaving it alone or finding someone that could do it for you. I am really happy with adding it to my bike and would do it again in a second especially now that I have been down that road the task is not nearly as daunting as it once seemed to be. If you decide you have the ability I would suggest printing out the entire "cruise" thread, study every word, ask questions on anything that might not be crystal clear, order your parts and take your time.

dickiedeals
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I don't know about being a "yahoo"? but I also think there are many that would pay! after all when Harley came out with cruise and it was optional when ordering a bike the sticker was $1000 and they sold many of them.
Wiring believe it or not is completely different ON the F6B and the standard Gold Wing. If you look at the previous threads on cruise Pete explains it a little but basically the cruise harness is not there, the throttle boss is not there, the ECM's are possibly different etc. It can be done! Has been done! and I am sure a person with some mechanical skill, basic electrical knowledge, and some determination could probably do it. The procedure with pictures is fairly well laid out in another thread that I followed with some modification. I am not an electrical expert by any means but there are some people on here that have that skill set and are very willing to answer questions. I simply followed what bstroh had done and he did most all of the leg work and figured out all of the components like the pulse divider, resistors etc. The parts list has been posted with all of the components, the brackets that were fabricated have pictures so basically you just have to decide if you think you can do it. If you can change the air filter on one, and do some fabrication of the needed brackets I would think you may have the mechanical ability. If you can follow direction and PROPERLY tap into a few wires ( soldering etc ) I would think you should be able to do it.
However, ( disclaimer ) this is not an easy job that can be done in a day or so! It is what I would consider major surgery so to speak and I guess you could screw up in a big way if you were not very sure of yourself and if in doubt you might want to consider leaving it alone or finding someone that could do it for you. I am really happy with adding it to my bike and would do it again in a second especially now that I have been down that road the task is not nearly as daunting as it once seemed to be. If you decide you have the ability I would suggest printing out the entire "cruise" thread, study every word, ask questions on anything that might not be crystal clear, order your parts and take your time.
I've been in Law Enforcement my whole life and not mechanically or electrically inclined. I Read the previous thread and have no Idea what they are talking about with the different component's within the Cruise Control package. If I ordered the parts I would have no Idea where to put them. Perhaps someone here on the Forum would be interested in installing this for me. I do ok reading install directions and following video's but to buy the components and figure what does what with what is out for me. Anybody Want to HELP?..........................Dickie

jkelley
01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
I've been in Law Enforcement my whole life and not mechanically or electrically inclined. I Read the previous thread and have no Idea what they are talking about with the different component's within the Cruise Control package. If I ordered the parts I would have no Idea where to put them. Perhaps someone here on the Forum would be interested in installing this for me. I do ok reading install directions and following video's but to buy the components and figure what does what with what is out for me. Anybody Want to HELP?..........................Dickie

If you were in my area I would be glad to HELP you. I am sure there are some in your area that can and will?

Wmorgan2k
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
I installed mine on the right side. Some have bought stock Goldwing switches and wired those in for a factory looking install as well.

Is that the Audiovox unit? How hard was that to install?

Scotrod
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
It's a part of the frustration of this subject matter,,, Very few have a true idea of what it takes to put cruise on an F6B.

Many think it's just a small oversight,,, easy to add,,,

I read once where all Honda had to do was add switches to the bars and 'turn it on' in the ECU,,, :icon_doh:

BARRYS770
01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
If you review the attached thread, you will have an idea of what is involved with the cruise install. Although this installation is quite involved, a person with good mechanical skills & some electrical knowledge should be able to install one on their bike.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?308-Cruise-control&highlight=cruise+control

If anyone attempts this install, post any questions on this site and someone who done this before will be able to help.

Barry

bob109
01-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Just a simple question! Why the redundancy of the Go-Cruise on your throttle grip (pic) when you have installed electronic cruise?

jkelley
01-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Just a simple question! Why the redundancy of the Go-Cruise on your throttle grip (pic) when you have installed electronic cruise?

Pretty simple, I had just finished the install and testing and had not removed the go cruise. it has since been removed and given away. My oversight for taking the pic with it on there, but I wanted to show the switches installed on the right side instead of the left as others have done.

jkelley
01-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Is that the Audiovox unit? How hard was that to install?

NO, it is the Rostra unit, and the install is quite involved but well worth it!

jkelley
01-15-2014, 06:08 AM
If you review the attached thread, you will have an idea of what is involved with the cruise install. Although this installation is quite involved, a person with good mechanical skills & some electrical knowledge should be able to install one on their bike.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?308-Cruise-control&highlight=cruise+control

If anyone attempts this install, post any questions on this site and someone who done this before will be able to help.

Barry

+++1

jkelley
01-15-2014, 06:10 AM
It's a part of the frustration of this subject matter,,, Very few have a true idea of what it takes to put cruise on an F6B.

I read once where all Honda had to do was add switches to the bars and 'turn it on' in the ECU,,, :icon_doh:

That would be nice but not the case.

bob109
01-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Pretty simple, I had just finished the install and testing and had not removed the go cruise. it has since been removed and given away. My oversight for taking the pic with it on there, but I wanted to show the switches installed on the right side instead of the left as others have done.

Makes sense! Thanks for the reply:icon_biggrin:

BARRYS770
01-15-2014, 09:00 AM

You would be correct IF the bike was equipped with "throttle by wire". The F6B use a cable driven throttle body.

Barry

Scotrod
01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeppers, much easier (and less expensive) to have cruise w/throttle by wire.

My truck and a friend's HD have TBW. Both act a little sluggish in throttle response compared to a direct 'manual' connection to the TB.

Unclear, but the 'sensitivity' was told to me to be somewhat adjustable on the HD. :shrug:

Pedro66
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Whatever kit you but the install is going to be basically the same you will be stripping the bike all the way down to the throttle bodies then installing from there up this is where you will burn shop time,

The way I see it every kit will need power a speedo feed and a tach feed and most likely a connection to the brake lights I would suggest that both the MC and ROSTRA will do this at the same point on the bike

The MC will have an advantage as the controls will come prewired not a big issue to me as I used OEM the other advantage is that the MC will be or should be pre-configured with correct settings etc this again was not too big of an issue with the Rostra as there is plenty of info out there to reference. The MC should also have pre made brackets etc to replace what the F6B has missing but they are easily made for the Rostra

Both kits will produce the same result if your going to do it yourself I would say go with the ROSTRA just spend some time reading and your be fine

If your going to have a shop do it buy the MC most shops wont deal well with the ROSTRA labor will be the killer I found it easier to remove all the plastic to route wires and cables most shops will want to do this.

F6Joe
01-15-2014, 10:56 PM
For me, and it is only my opinion ~ which only suits me ~ the one and only thing I dislike is the paint quality / lack of clear coat or whatever you call it. Was at a dealer yesterday, looking at a black and a red F6, both 2013s and just from them being dusted / cleaned on the floor their paint was in real bad shape. A casual comment / question about it and the sales guy seemed to take offense, not my intent, but it did kinda end my shopping experience. Guess I'll end up contacting Honda of Russellville and see how much they charge for a repainted black bike!

jkelley
01-16-2014, 07:02 AM
For me, and it is only my opinion ~ which only suits me ~ the one and only thing I dislike is the paint quality / lack of clear coat or whatever you call it. Was at a dealer yesterday, looking at a black and a red F6, both 2013s and just from them being dusted / cleaned on the floor their paint was in real bad shape. A casual comment / question about it and the sales guy seemed to take offense, not my intent, but it did kinda end my shopping experience. Guess I'll end up contacting Honda of Russellville and see how much they charge for a repainted black bike!

That would be the ONLY way to solve the paint issue!

opas ride
01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I never really noticed any paint issues on the bikes I looked at in a few dealerships around here....but, things worked out for me when I bought my F6B as my wife did not like the red or black that was offered...So, we "popped" for the cost of a complete re-paint job, big bucks, and love the color and the nice job that was done...BrandyWine Red Clearcoat....No paint issues so far...Guess this topic should be moved to the paint issues section, sorry.....