PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cluster 'knock' / potholes

Scotrod
01-13-2014, 01:34 PM
When the unfortunate occurrence of hitting a pothole (or similar) happens, I get a knock or noise that sounds like the cluster is hitting the speaker / ignition surround.

Is there some kind of 'rubber baby buggy bumper' between the two? (I'm aware of the 2 upper rubber mounts on the cluster itself)

What is the normal clearance between these 2 pieces?

The Wifes F6B cluster is a bit further away from the surround than mine,,,

Again, never a noise or rattle unless I hit something 'unexpected'.

Should I quit jumping curbs? :shrug:

Sorcerer
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
What's in your fairing pocket, shelter cubby.

Steve 0080
01-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Great question................!

Scotrod
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
I'll have to triple check, but I'm thinkin a tiny hex wrench and a tube of blistex ain't the culprit! :icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Scott, I believe that the issue is..........on these bikes the instrument cluster mounting has a very specific backside center mount, that needs to be inserted into a very specific hole, and if someone has taken your bike apart....anyone...and has not reinstalled the instrument cluster with absolute accuracy, then it would cause the cluster to stick out further...closer to the rider, which also means closer to the surrounding trim, and it would rattle or bump going over potholes.

This specific mount I am speaking of is easy to see. It is on the very rear of the instrument cluster, and is almost dead center on the rear/backside. It needs to be inserted into the fairing frame mount hole, so that it allows the instrument cluster to seat all the way in....and to keep it from moving up and down. Yes....in answer to all those who have ever removed the cluster, those 4 bolts with 8mm heads on them should stop the instrument cluster from moving at all, but if it is not seated correctly, then it will make a noise, and will sit too close to the surrounding trim.

It is SO easy to check, and see if it is done right, that if I were you, I would simply remove the dash......remove the 4 bolts with 8mm heads that hold the instrument cluster in palce, and gently lift the cluster up and out. You will then see the center mount that is protruding out of the backside of the cluster.
Reinstall the cluster, making certain that this protruding mount is indeed inserted into the fairing frame mount hole, and then reinstall all the 4 bolts, and the dash trim.

Scotrod
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I DID install risers here a while ago,, on both bikes,,,

Hmmmm,,,,

Like ya say, pretty easy to pull the dash, cluster.

Honestly, the hardest part of it all for me is the small connectors on the wiring,, and my fat hands! :icon_doh:

MichaelG
01-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Scott, it is not necessary to remove the instrument cluster to install the handlebar risers. You "may" have done that, but....I wouldn't think so.

Has anyone else had the instrument cluster out of the bike?

Hambly434
01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure if this will help you much but here's a pic of the bolt I believe Miles is referring to. It's a rubber grommet that is inserted into the framework then the bolt passes thru it. I could see where it could easily get installed incorrectly if removed.
I'm not sure if you can see it clearly with the front end assembled I just happened to have my front end apart, so here's a pic.
Hope this helps.

Steve 0080
01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
When I did my risers I just tied the dash up,I also have big fingers, size 12 so I here your pain.....

Scotrod
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I just tied mine up to change the risers as well.

Dug into it after work, Found the center mount. (One of the most peculiar looking 'mounts' I've seen)

U shaped slot in frame, 'Post' of sorts with rubber do-dads on back of cluster that ~slides~ up into the slot.

Nothing seemed out of sorts,,,

Put it all back together,,,

But,,,,

:icon_redface:

I bet that 10mm Craftsman wrench I found in my cubby wasn't helping matters!!!

:banghead: :icon_redface: :icon_doh:

Ducking Fumbass!!!

:spank: shot his foot :021:

I think I may have fixed a rattle and found a wrench all at the same time!!!!

:icon_doh:

MichaelG
01-13-2014, 09:32 PM
U shaped slot in frame, 'Post' of sorts with rubber do-dads on back of cluster that ~slides~ up into the slot.

I bet that 10mm Craftsman wrench I found in my cubby wasn't helping matters!!![/SIZE]

Ducking Fumbass!!!

I think I may have fixed a rattle and found a wrench all at the same time!!!!

Well, Scott, it appears from the description of the mount you found, that it is the correct one that I was thinking of....but apparently that was not the problem. I would suspect from your answers, that some "one" left some tools up in that area. :shhh:

Another reason why I account for every one of my tools during and after every job I work on. :icon_mrgreen:

Okay, rattle gone......next thread !

"coffee"

Lucas
01-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Gentlemen-
When I installed the Helibars on my F6B, I was very impressed with the engineering that went into these fine motorcycles. The plastic parts fit very specifically, and there are a number of layers of parts that must be removed/installed in a specific sequence, or parts, and possibly tools, can get lost. It is easy to blame the technician, or one's own self for these small oversights, but before doing so, remember how sophisticated these motorcycles are, and keep in mind that most of us are not professional mechanics. I'm of an age now that I must take pictures as I disassemble these machines, and carefully lay out the hardware as it is removed. I also take careful notes as I work. Try using a bright flashlight to illuminate those crevices that lie beneath our lovely coachwork. The Helibar installation took one full man day to complete, and this work was done in a well-equipped facility.

Thank you!
Lucas in Phoenix