PDA

View Full Version : Raise that Honda Luggage Rack

98valk
01-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Hey All,
I don't know about you, but to me, that luggage rack is too low/too tight. It is tough to attach bungies to the underneath hooks, and stuff on the luggage rack likes to touch the paint (which is a big no-no).

Here is a pretty easy way to raise it a bit. First, use the rear bolts and spacers on the front of the rack. That raises it about .6". Believe it or not, that makes a nice difference. You can try that without going any further and see it you like it.

Next, get two 8 x 1.25 x 70mm bolts/screws. I went with some low profile panheads from Ace. Now, you need either a 1.8" spacer, or if you use the front spacers in addition, you only need a 1.25" spacer for the rear. I am using a 1/4" pipe, painted black, and cut to size.

Not only is the extra room much more useful, but I think it actually looks better, too (less crowded). Of course, I am biased - all my ideas are great! :icon_lol:

Deer Slayer
01-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Hey All,
I don't know about you, but to me, that luggage rack is too low/too tight. It is tough to attach bungies to the underneath hooks, and stuff on the luggage rack likes to touch the paint (which is a big no-no).

Here is a pretty easy way to raise it a bit. First, use the rear bolts and spacers on the front of the rack. That raises it about .6". Believe it or not, that makes a nice difference. You can try that without going any further and see it you like it.

Next, get two 8 x 1.25 x 70mm bolts/screws. I went with some low profile panheads from Ace. Now, you need either a 1.8" spacer, or if you use the front spacers in addition, you only need a 1.25" spacer for the rear. I am using a 1/4" pipe, painted black, and cut to size.

Not only is the extra room much more useful, but I think it actually looks better, too (less crowded). Of course, I am biased - all my ideas are great! :icon_lol:

Where in the photo? :poke: :postpics:

woody
01-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Great idea it would also make washing and polishing the bike a bit easier. Thanks for the tip.

98valk
04-24-2014, 03:10 PM
That ~.5" was good, but I wanted a bit more room.

So, I took the rear spacer (1.15") and added it to the front spacer (I used jb weld, but you don't need to). So, the rack is now 1.15" higher.

Then I got two 4" pieces of 3/8" galvanized pipe and cut both ends off. I ground and sanded until they were precisely 2.3" and square. Then painted them black.

I think it looks good and I finally have the room to bungie things without rubbing on the paint.

Excuse the dirt. I got caught in about 100 drops of rain; just enough to need washing. :icon_frown:

Oh yeah. You will need two 8 x 1.25 x 70mm bolts/screws for the front and two 8 x 1.25 x 80mm bolts/screws for the rear. I found them at Ace Hardware. They are not hard bolts, but I don't think the luggage rack will fall off.