PDA

View Full Version : riding position

choptop
01-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Having not had benefit of a test ride, and won't for a while unless I fly to Orlanda and hijack Steve 0080's bike for a weekend, thanks again for the offer, and chomping at the bit to get one, I have a concern. Over the last couple of days I read about (1) person selling his F6b because of the "mid
rider" position and another posting today that he struggles w/the riding position. I have had a couple of Roadstar Warriors that I have either modified the seat threw shaving material out or buying a new seat to get that "riding in" the bike rather than on top of it, if you know what I mean. I kind of sit "on" my Harley, unlike the Warriors I had. Is this how the F6b feels or is it a sitting to close or to far back. Your thoughts please.

unsub
01-15-2014, 04:47 PM
I kind of sit "on" my Harley, unlike the Warriors I had. Is this how the F6b feels or is it a sitting to close or to far back. Your thoughts please.

My thoughts are you must sit/ride one to make your own assessments. :icon_wink:

If it helps at all I'm just shy of 6.0' with a 32" inseam. The bike seating and handlebar rake, and wearing recreational sole riding boots feels natural to me all....day...long.....without any modifications at all. My Harley experiences are too far back for me to make any ergonomic comparisons to those machines.

opas ride
01-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Only real way to know is go sit/ride one somewhere...I am 5'9" and have no issues at all with the riding position..My son is 6' and he also has no issues with the riding position..I came off a Victory Vision, which really sets you low, and thought I might not like the riding height/postion on the F6B...So far no problems at all and I love the thing with the stock seat and bars.....

timjoebob
01-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Individual preference, to be sure.

When I first sat on one (after owning an '05 Wing), I knew that I'd need a passenger backrest, first of all. The stock seat moved me back slightly (from what I was used to), and I'd say "in" the seat, rather than on it.

I'm 6'2", 190lbs, 33" inseam, and needed risers added. I also went with a Corbin seat and rider's backrest, which moved moved me slightly forward (maybe an inch). I still have loads of leg room and can flat foot when I come to a stop. The stock seat seemed just slightly lower, making it even easier to come to a stop with both feet flat on the ground.

I'm always looking for ways to find the "holy grail" of comfort, as most of my previous posts on this forum will attest.

MichaelG
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Choptop, it was three months ago that you started the conversation of....pricing ...on these bikes, and where might be a good place to buy, based on prices. Today, you find yourself asking whether the "fit" of the bike would be right for you, or not. Yet, lo and behold, you have not taken an F6B for a ride yet. .batman-smilie.

I think we can all agree that it is wise to check out a large purchase item, before shelling out all those clams for the new bike. And in todays' world, reading all that one can on a forum like this, and asking specific questions, is indeed a good way to check things out. However, without having actually ridden one, and finding out if you like the bike, if the feel is right for you, if the seating is right for you, or close enough that it can be modified to be perfect for you, then...prior to doing the riding thing....all anyone can do is speculate on whether an F6B would/should/could be your next new bike.

There are a myriad of cornucopias of questions that can be asked, and even more answers that can be given, but none of that is going to subplant the tried and true practice of actually taking one for a ride, and getting some seat time on these bikes. I would not give it a second thought about one or two or even three riders that are selling their bikes, because the bike did not fit them the way they wanted. We ALL come from a wide and varied background of riding experience, and what "feels" right to us, compared to the next bike, and the next person.

I would suggest....albeit politely...that before doubting the fit of this bike to "your" body...make every effort to get out there and RIDE one, and then you will have a lot of questions answered. The way that my bike fits me and the way I sit on my bike, will be quite different from the way that the next rider fits on their bike. We all know this, so I would not give any credence or value to a few people not liking the bike's fit to their body, when 99.314159 % of the folks on this forum LOVE these bikes, and are able to fit the bike to their own needs.

Ride, my young strange fellow........RIDE !:icon_wink:

choptop
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Their will be no rides, in Wi, for at least 4 months. I would not be surprised at all that I will buy one w/out riding it and it won't be a problem, nothing that adjusting the bars and massaging the seat won't rectify. Just reading what was posted by (2) separate owners got the old brain thinking. I am appx 5'9 and 225lbs w/a 31-32" inseam, so kinda right in the norm. A few years back I installed a 280 swing arm/tire on my Warrior over the winter and by the time spring came along and I hadn't ridden the bike for 5 months after a couple of hours the 280 felt like I had been riding on it forever. So I agree, riding one before I buy would be the thing to do, but being the impulse buyer that I am and having it their to look at and decide what I want to do w/it over the winter are foremost on my mind right now. Now that Yhis thought has entered my mind, I will take note, the next time I sit on one, how it feels. Maybe I can get a hungry salesperson to push me around the showroom.:icon_wink:

Scotrod
01-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I spent a lot of time sittin on one at a local dealer. Not near as cramped as a regular wing.

Taller folks may not like 'em,,, Taller folks may not like a lot of things not directly made for their stature, but many taller folks ride regular wings, so ???

I never road 'straight up' on a bike until the 6. Always feet forward/cruiser. Took a little while to 'adjust'. replaced the pegs w/mini boards and have pretty much forgotten what 'feet forward' is. (Hard to keep good posture when riding feet-forward, 'butt-draggin-the-ground' anyway!!!)

I was worried about mid riding prior to purchase. Didn't turn out to be much of an obstacle after all. :shrug:

(Did not test ride before purchase. 6-0 30 inseam)

bob109
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Go to a local dealer that has a 6 on the showroom floor and have one of the salesman put the 6 on its center stand. You'll have the bike in a upright and stable condition and can move your a$$ all over the seat and use the foot pegs, shift lever and brake pedal till your hearts content. It may sound silly but, like buying a pair of shoes, you'll have at least tried a 6 on, getting a feel for the bike and the position of the hand and foot controls. Taking the bike off the center stand you'll get a feel for that procedure and will be able to check if you're flat footed on the floor. Although not a actual ride, the procedure will allow you to evaluate/answer several of the questions you have raised. What have you got too loose:icon_wink:

MichaelG
01-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Their will be no rides, in Wi, for at least 4 months. Maybe I can get a hungry salesperson to push me around the showroom.:icon_wink:

I would tell that salesperson in Wisconsin....pull out the snowblower.....snowremoval.have someone run it all over the parking lot out front, and then down the road for about 10 miles. Then...quickly...before more snow falls....have someone else following the snowblower with a leafblower, so the 2nd person can defrost the roads and clean off as much icy particles as possible. Then...quickly now...jump on that F6B, and ride..dickie-deals.

choptop
01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
bob109, why didn't I think of that.:icon_doh: Miles, snowballs chance in hell.:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

IamBatmanF6B
01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Chop Top, I would assume you are referring to me as the person selling due to themed rider position not being for them. First off, other than this I love this bike! If I would have bought it with intent of just running around on the weekends then I would probably keep it. It is a solid performer for sure but it just isn't for tall riders if you ask me from personal experience. It took me almost 6 months to pull the trigger on buying this thing and I can't really say I regret buying it because I wish the mid rider position did work for me........yeah, that's how cool I think this bike is!

The best fitting bike I have ever rode was a Victory Cross Roads. I demoed a new one about three years ago. I was talking to a Victory salesman this week about the F6B and how the mid rider position wasn't cutting it for me and he said that Victory had went to a mid ride position (on a 13 model I believe) and they were practically crucified for it. They changed it back in 14. I wish I could remember what model he was talking about.

When it comes down to it, you just need to ride one for a solid hour or so. If you were closer to me I would tell you to come out my way and let you ride mine.......of course you would need to be interested in paying the 16,000 I am asking for my black beast!

Scotrod
01-15-2014, 09:01 PM
I was talking to a Victory salesman this week about the F6B and how the mid rider position wasn't cutting it for me and he said that Victory had went to a mid ride position (on a 13 model I believe) and they were practically crucified for it. They changed it back in 14. I wish I could remember what model he was talking about.

Judge

Most who had 'em changed out the bars ASAP.

IMHO, in addition to the ergo's, there were other original styling cues that were not well-received as well. (Who really wants a sidecover that looks like its made to place a 'number' on for motocross???) To me, the 2014 Judge looks less like a Judge and more like a Hammer/Jackpot.

2013 Judge: http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/2013/cruiser/judge/motorcycle

2014: http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/cruiser/judge/motorcycle

BuzzzPhotos
01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Having not had benefit of a test ride, and won't for a while unless I fly to Orlanda and hijack Steve 0080's bike for a weekend, thanks again for the offer, and chomping at the bit to get one, I have a concern. Over the last couple of days I read about (1) person selling his F6b because of the "mid
rider" position and another posting today that he struggles w/the riding position. I have had a couple of Roadstar Warriors that I have either modified the seat threw shaving material out or buying a new seat to get that "riding in" the bike rather than on top of it, if you know what I mean. I kind of sit "on" my Harley, unlike the Warriors I had. Is this how the F6b feels or is it a sitting to close or to far back. Your thoughts please.

I can't imagine all that stressful thinking - got get one!

chipmaker
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM
I sat on the mine at the dealership on the centerstand for quite awhile. Its definitely different then sitting on my HD Deluxe. Now that I have had it for a bit, I installed Rocky risers. Now I sit almost straight up, which allows me to scoot back and lean a little forward, or scoot up and and lean a little back.

motozeke
01-16-2014, 12:52 AM
I owned a bike with forward pegs, a VFR800 with (not aggressively) tucked away pegs, a Multistrada with slightly tucked pegs, and this F6B with true mid-rider pegs that put my knees at a 90 degree bend. I find this position MUCH more comfortable than any of the others; no kinking in the knees, and yet I can still stand on the pegs if I want to fully stretch out for a few seconds. I can see how guys with > 32 inch inseam might prefer forward controls, but I can't see why for regular riding anyone would prefer forward controls. You can't stand up on the bike, and it makes shifting your weight around on the bike much more difficult.

But we all get used to a certain way of riding, I get it. I just think that if a guy gets used to this riding position that it would be hard to imagine a better one for all-around riding, and riding long distances. At least for this bike it's best. On a S1000RR, sure, you want that race tuck. On a cruiser, sure, forward pegs. That's kind of what they're about. But to me the F6B is a real GT (Grand Tourer) and as such is balancing comfort and performance. I doubt there's another bike out there that does it better.

ED209
01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I love the riding position Chop. The postion takes all stress off my lower back and the handling is out of this world. Im 5-11 with a 29-30 inch inseam, 225lbs if that matters :yikes: .

bobbyf6b
01-16-2014, 10:10 AM
I love the seating position. It has that "Wow, I could do this all day" feeling. My arms must be short though, the only discomfort I get is in the shoulders. My handlebar risers are at home waiting for me to install them. Can't wait.

austin_tech
01-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Good grief, never buy a car or motorcycle or anything this expensive from a dealer without riding it. Period.

For the record, one of the reasons I came to the F6 is because of the mid-riding position. Riding with your feet in front of you looks cool on the cruisers, but you can't corner for shit and getting up off the seat to clear an obstacle turns into a pull-up. I love the control and agility I feel on the F6 -- and I really like having my feet under me.

F6BPDX
01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
I agree with some of the other guys that the mid-rider position is actually one of the things I really like about the F6B. Coming from a cruiser that had a feet forward position that just never felt right, but I chalked it up to being a new rider. First time I rode with the mid-rider position it clicked in my brain, "wait a tic, it's not me it's the bike!".

I've had mine for 3 months at this point and have not ever regretted the purchase. Aside from some bucket list type rides that will be better suited to an "adventure bike" I love having a bike that feels like it is the right bike for everything. Short jaunts, commutes, long rides, no problem.

Hornblower
01-16-2014, 03:11 PM
This may be an over-generalization but the F6B design seems to be aimed at the "sportier" crowd, as compared to straight-up cruisers. The position of the foot pegs lends itself to more of an "attack" position :clap2:. If you've ever tried to ride aggressively on a true cruiser with your feet up in the "birthing" position, you probably know what I mean :yikes:. My Triumph Rocket 3 would have been classified as a power cruiser and the forward pegs were never comfortable in the twisties, at least not for me. I would classify the F6B as a sport-cruiser-tourer. Come to think of it, it's hard to really classify the F6B simply because it does so many things so well :041:. I can't think of a more versatile weapon 'riding'

jlyon
01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
I echo what a majority of people here have said - ride it (or at least sit on it in different positions while on the center stand on the showroom floor) to get a "sense" of what it will feel like...

I own (2) other bikes, both H-D, and each has a unique sitting style.... The FatBob is pure cruiser, on which I extended the forward controls 3" so I sit "in" it with legs almost straight forward (very slight bend at the knee)...

The Ultra has both floor boards which allow me to ride "mid" style, as well as highway pegs to let me stretch out for long hauls.... (gun-slinger style)

I LOVE the F6B and its riding position, but.... I also added pegs to allow me to sit more cruiser~ish when I want to...

The biggest difference between all of them - the much lower COG makes the 6 much more maneuverable at any speed....

Contrary (in my humble opinion) to what some others have said, riding "cruiser~ish" does NOT hamper my ability to control any of the bikes through the twisties when I go canyon carving... (I have scrape marks on both sides of pegs & boards !!!)

Pick it out, sit on it, ride it if you can.... :)

Happy Riding !!!

IamBatmanF6B
01-16-2014, 08:40 PM
I like the mid rider position but my long legs don't care for it!

choptop
01-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Guess I was confused about the term "mid ride position" because I sat on a Fb6 today and then came home and sat on my Harley, w/floorboards, and it was essentially the same. Rode my Warrior all of last year,feet forward, well till I sold it, took the Harley out the same day and broke down:icon_frown:,so I am actually accustom to the mid ride position and am good w/it.

Scotrod
01-17-2014, 09:09 PM
One step closer!! Heh heh heh!!! .batman-smilie. 'riding'

mike2000t
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I just got my F6B two days ago. I came from a VT1100T that I had ridden 95000 miles over the last 10 years. The 6 riding position feels similar to me. I was only able to sit on the bike on a center stand because none of the dealers around me allowed test rides. I knew as soon an I sat on it that I wanted it. The more I sat, the more I was convinced. After a few hours of riding it I do get some back pain, but I got that with my other bike too, and I do have a bad back - doing core exercises to help. The nice thing about the 6 is that there are so many accessories to modify the position. I just ordered a 19 inch vented shield and will be adding things like engine mounted foot pegs and a heel toe shifter later. I really like this bike.

Mike

Tbone56
03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
The Mustang seat, Kuryakyn Ergo II highway pegs, and handlebar risers (wedges) did the trick for me. Just as good a riding position as the Street Glide I used to own.

choptop
03-02-2014, 07:33 PM
The Mustang seat, Kuryakyn Ergo II highway pegs, and handlebar risers (wedges) did the trick for me. Just as good a riding position as the Street Glide I used to own.

Have the seat on order.

Texas TC
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM

I have the same setup on my F6B minus the risers. I thought I would need them but after installing the seat, The bars were perfect for my long arms. The lumbar support on the Mustang seat is outstanding. I had problems with a sore back with the original seat on extended rides. However, the Mustang seat took care of that. I even rode two 1100 mile/17 hour days with the Mustang seat and no back issues at all.

zorro07
03-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm going to order the Mustang seat.
When seating back on the seat, it "pushes" me a little forward (like most japanese bikes in, fact). I don't find the position so comfortable.
And the 1' lower will also help me (I'm5'10 with short legs).
Of course when riding fast/cornering, the position is good, but most of time I unfortunately ride straight...

I'm also looking for highway pegs, but don't wich ones to choose.. Rivco are nice, kuryakyn seems to be more comfortable, etc...