PDA

View Full Version : Cutting helmet visor/shield, Any different than cutting a windshield?

Scotrod
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a Shoei J-Cruise that, for whatever reason, Shoei decided not to put any shield detents on,,,

2 choices,,, full open or full close,,, :icon_frown:

The J-Cruise is my 'go-to' summer helmet, but the massive shield on it cut's down the 'air exposure' to the face.

(Shield detents would sure help!!!)

Thought about a RJ - Platinum with a snap on shield, but,,,, =-/ plus Mo $$$ and the wife will confirm I have plenty of helmets already!! LOL!!

I might be able to trim some of the bottom of the J-Cruises' shield to let more air in,,,,

Just a matter of cutting thin poly, and worse comes to worse, I'm only out the price of a new shield.

Anybody tried this before?????

jkelley
01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
I have a Shoei J-Cruise that, for whatever reason, Shoei decided not to put any shield detents on,,,

2 choices,,, full open or full close,,, :icon_frown:

The J-Cruise is my 'go-to' summer helmet, but the massive shield on it cut's down the 'air exposure' to the face.

(Shield detents would sure help!!!)

Thought about a RJ - Platinum with a snap on shield, but,,,, =-/ plus Mo $$$ and the wife will confirm I have plenty of helmets already!! LOL!!

I might be able to trim some of the bottom of the J-Cruises' shield to let more air in,,,,

Just a matter of cutting thin poly, and worse comes to worse, I'm only out the price of a new shield.

Anybody tried this before?????

Yes, I used a Dremel cut off wheel. Tape your line with blue painters tape and take your time. I think I clamped mine down somehow but cant really recall?

Scotrod
01-17-2014, 01:16 PM
:yes:

Perfect excuse to go pick up a Dremel!

(Been meanin' to get one of those for a while now!!!) :icon_mrgreen:

Steve 0080
01-17-2014, 06:49 PM
You will wonder how you ever lived w/o one !!!!!

Scotrod
01-17-2014, 09:04 PM
No doubt on the Dremel!!!!! Looking forward to having one!

I have angle grinders and an air-powered cut off tool. Kinda figured they might be 'a bit much' on the old face shield! :shock:

Deer Slayer
01-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Only thing I would add is not to get any heat in to the cut point. On windshields after cut I use a file then different grit levels of wet sand paper on a sand block.
Good luck. :cheers:

Ericb445
01-18-2014, 01:14 AM
I have cut down windscreens before, it's fairly straight foreword. There are a lot of YouTube how to videos out there I believe. I can't see why it would be any different on a helmet shield.

Scotrod
01-18-2014, 10:35 PM
I've cut acrylic windshields down with a jig-saw before. (Lacquer thinner rubbed sparingly on the cut edge helps 'polish' as well)