PDA

View Full Version : Any Paint Update???

thegrtwizard
01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
I know this is getting old but I was wondering where things stand in the paint department pertaining to the F6B. With the rebates and discounts I'm really considering one in place of my 05 Wing but as anal as I am I'm not sure I'd be happy with the paint. Any input would be greatly appreciated:039:

Steve 0080
01-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Buy it, wax it several times and ride on..........................

MichaelG
01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
wax ON...wax OFF...ride ON:039:

Blotar
01-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know the name of the HOR owner? I feel strongly that as one of the Premier Dealers in the US, HOR is in a unique position to take the "paint issue" up the ladder to Mother Honda. I witnessed first hand how a new F6B can appear to be damaged right out of the box. There was no denying it. I do realize that a Dealership does not want to bite the hand that provides new items to sell to the public, however as providers themselves they are in a leadership role and they have responsibilities for which they should be accountable. My intention is to contact this person and appeal to his determination to improve his business by providing feedback on plans, going forward, regarding Honda's process and how and when it will change. My hope is that a three way conversation can be initiated so at least future buyers can know when this problem has been rectified.
Blotar

Scotrod
01-19-2014, 10:00 AM
FWIW, I'm not sure of the wording on the paint warranty.

Not sure paint is even mentioned in any warranty.

This creates an 'implied/perceived' situation that has no firm definition with no verifiable statistics to show/quantify owner dissatisfaction or loss of value: past, present, or future. (A forum poll ain't gonna cut it. There is no catalog full of 'they told me my paint was scratched up when I went to trade it in so they knocked another 'XXX' off the value' stories to reference either)

The condition that is attempting to be defined can be further aggravated by the owner, depending on what they do to and how they care for the finish after purchase.

This isn't quite like the GM debacle where the paint came off the vehicle in large chunks, washed or not. There are tons of gray/undefined/assumed conditions with this one.

Most of the owners will have sold/traded/moved on before anything would be decided. I'll be one of 'em. Not due to the paint, but, due to perpetual change in my taste.

Life is a battle. If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick and choose those battles,,,,, choose wisely.

MNF6B
01-19-2014, 11:14 AM
I followed up with my dealer this week on the paint issue. He said that Mother Honda would provide a set of instructions and a bottle of 3M Finesse for my paint issue. I am at a loss for words.

F6BPDX
01-19-2014, 11:33 AM
HOR is probably one dealer who is thrilled that Honda is having "paint issues" since their bread and butter is custom painted bikes. I say paint issues in quotes because I think its been blown way out of proportion, but thats just my opinion.

opas ride
01-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I tend to agree with the above post, somewhat...Not having any paint issues myself as I had mine custom painted at dealer before pick-up, I think the paint issue has been blown way out of proportion as some tend to see this issue posted on the web here and jump on the band wagon just to add comments...I wonder if there is any honest and real way to actually determine how many F6B's really have seriously bad paint issues??..I just can't accept the fact that Honda, perhaps the largest producer of bikes in the world with a huge market in the US, intended to paint their bikes with crap paint just to save money...Maybe so, but all the bikes I have seen in showrooms in Michigan seem to be fine and show nothing noticeable...I said on a earlier post a while back that of the 5 dealers I visited over the last year, no had any reported paint issues....Or, they lied.......JMHO

F6Joe
01-19-2014, 01:11 PM
For me, bad paint is a deal breaker... do I want an F6B, you bet but not with such poor quality paint. IF I do decide then ROH will most likely get my business after they repaint one for me..... almost like a Harley (I own 2) and having to spend so much to "make it right".

MNF6B
01-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I tend to agree with the above post, somewhat...Not having any paint issues myself as I had mine custom painted at dealer before pick-up, I think the paint issue has been blown way out of proportion as some tend to see this issue posted on the web here and jump on the band wagon just to add comments...I wonder if there is any honest and real way to actually determine how many F6B's really have seriously bad paint issues??..I just can't accept the fact that Honda, perhaps the largest producer of bikes in the world with a huge market in the US, intended to paint their bikes with crap paint just to save money...Maybe so, but all the bikes I have seen in showrooms in Michigan seem to be fine and show nothing noticeable...I said on a earlier post a while back that of the 5 dealers I visited over the last year, no had any reported paint issues....Or, they lied.......JMHO

I wonder if you would change your tune if you had a bike with PAINT ISSUES! Please don't patronize or take the side of Honda if you don't have this issue. I have had my issue confirmed by my dealer and Honda rep. Honda refuses to resolve. Throw some wax on it, 3M finesse it, use a microfiber cloth bla bla bla. I have done all of this and still have swirls and scratches. Now what?!

opas ride
01-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I wonder if you would change your tune if you had a bike with PAINT ISSUES! Please don't patronize or take the side of Honda if you don't have this issue. I have had my issue confirmed by my dealer and Honda rep. Honda refuses to resolve. Throw some wax on it, 3M finesse it, use a microfiber cloth bla bla bla. I have done all of this and still have swirls and scratches. Now what?!

For the record please!!,, I am not patronizing Honda, just raising a question??...I am asking if there is any real/honest way to determine how many have this issue...Honda, as any other major company does, will not do anything if only a handful of riders have this paint problem and will leave it up to local dealer/reps to try and fix...I am truly sorry for those who have serious paint issues, as I also would be very upset, but I don't have them due to the custom paint which was my choice as I did not care for the colors offered at the time...I honestly hope that Honda will take care of those that have soft paint issues and "steps-up-to-the-plate" so to speak and addresses these concerns....but, I would not hold my breath!!!......Regards, no intention to offend anyone......

98valk
01-19-2014, 02:22 PM

I don't know why you even bothered to make this comment, except to stir the pot. :icon_rolleyes:

My Black F6b paint will leave noticeable scratches simply by wiping my finger on it. Still love the bike!

opas ride
01-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Your right!!!...None of my business......Hope your happy now.....

jakec
01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
It's not truly a paint issue, It's a lack of clear coat issue and on that point Honda is just being CHEAP.
Jakec

F6Joe
01-19-2014, 05:06 PM
:popcorn:

dickiedeals
01-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Three coats of Liquid Glass helps greatly till I find another option. Then one coat a month.

An article I recently read stated that Mother Honda is using environmentally friendly paint that is water soluble till cured with no clear coat which is where the problem lies.............Dickie

F6Joe
01-19-2014, 05:45 PM
For a Corporation that does so many things so well... it really is odd that this is happening, even worse that it has not been corrected!

Gumby
01-19-2014, 06:56 PM

You had your bike painted so you have no idea what you're talking about. I suggest you find things you can speak to and comment about that.

Seriously.

opas ride
01-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Gumby....Your opinion of me is your option, but you have no idea at all how much knowledge I personally have on this issue....So please back off and leave well enough alone...Regards.....

bobo
01-19-2014, 07:45 PM
i believe the problem is they are using a water base paint and not applying the clear coat hoping the it will cure to a hard finish just like the enamel paints used on cars in the 1960s untill they developed the hardeners and then the base coat clear coat and i am 100% sure there is no clear coat on my black f6b.

Scotrod
01-19-2014, 07:46 PM
You had your bike painted so you have no idea what you're talking about. I suggest you find things you can speak to and comment about that.

Seriously.

Then let me talk. I have (1) from HOR custom painted and (1) from HOR in OEM black. They both 'swirl' a little. The Black isn't noticeably worse than the blue, but, BLACK SHOWS SWIRLS worse than any color,,,

HOR sells custom painted F6B $1,000.00 UNDER OEM MSRP all day long. Getcha one (or maybe even 2!)

opas ride
01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Then let me talk. I have (1) from HOR custom painted and (1) from HOR in OEM black. They both 'swirl' a little. The Black isn't noticeably worse than the blue, but, BLACK SHOWS SWIRLS worse than any color,,,

HOR sells custom painted F6B $1,000.00 UNDER OEM MSRP all day long. Getcha one (or maybe even 2!)

+1....This issue has gotten out of control by some......Again, my bike is dealer painted by my choice...End of this discussion for me...Regards

Steve 0080
01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Easy,Easy...... We are all correct in this issue!!!!!! OpasRide, stated HIS experience to the paint issue. There is no need to make his decision either one of envy or disdain....

The fact is.... Honda used a " Green " paint that is good for the environment and not necessarily good for a quality paint job, in their process they mix the clear coat in with the paint so it is a one step process. I stated back almost a year ago that Honda would do nothing about this, and I still stand by this statement. I also stated they will not change going forward. Dickiedeals has got it right along with the others who decided to wax the bike ALOT and go from there.

I myself had my warranty claim torn up and thrown in the trash by my local Honda dealer. I have spent money on a lot of waxes and cleaners that Honda recommended and I have to say the bike looks pretty good.
The color black will always be an issue.

I have made a decision that I like the F6B very much and have learned to over look the one imperfection and move on.

Here is hoping that other owners can do the same thing, it is a great bike with a small flaw............

edgeman55
01-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Easy,Easy...... We are all correct in this issue!!!!!! OpasRide, stated HIS experience to the paint issue. There is no need to make his decision either one of envy or disdain....

The fact is.... Honda used a " Green " paint that is good for the environment and not necessarily good for a quality paint job, in their process they mix the clear coat in with the paint so it is a one step process. I stated back almost a year ago that Honda would do nothing about this, and I still stand by this statement. I also stated they will not change going forward. Dickiedeals has got it right along with the others who decided to wax the bike ALOT and go from there.

I myself had my warranty claim torn up and thrown in the trash by my local Honda dealer. I have spent money on a lot of waxes and cleaners that Honda recommended and I have to say the bike looks pretty good.
The color black will always be an issue.

I have made a decision that I like the F6B very much and have learned to over look the one imperfection and move on.

Here is hoping that other owners can do the same thing, it is a great bike with a small flaw............

Well said Steve.At first I let the paint get to me but with a little love from a wax rag and Meguairs Carnauba wax my black is holding up pretty good.Plus for those who have not tried it the Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 really works well for scratchs and blemish.

db24
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Has anyone every tried one of those smaller powered circular buffers?

ghostrider
01-21-2014, 08:38 AM

When I see red on my wax pad......that's an issue....

ghostrider
01-21-2014, 08:42 AM
For me, bad paint is a deal breaker... do I want an F6B, you bet but not with such poor quality paint. IF I do decide then ROH will most likely get my business after they repaint one for me..... almost like a Harley (I own 2) and having to spend so much to "make it right".

The paint is an issue but don't let it be a deal breaker. Don't miss out on this fantastic bike. If you like sport riding and long distance touring and nimble city riding and smooth powerful reliable awesome riding. Then you want this bike.

Hornblower
01-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Has anyone every tried one of those smaller powered circular buffers?

Yes, db24...I bought one of those from Griot's Garage. It's a 3" size and with it, you can use a variety of different pads which vary in aggressiveness. Of course, with our super-soft paint, I use the least aggressive pad and a "mild" wax. Now, I probably could but I don't go over the entire bike with this buffer but I use it only on the worst areas. Anytime I see a really bad scratch, I hit it with the buffer and that usually takes care of it. For example, simply using my fingernails to remove OEM decals left some really bad scratches (and some say this paint is fine :shock:) and the buffer really came in handy on those areas. I do have some concern about buffing thru this paint but I've been careful and it hasn't happened yet.

jkelley
01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
The paint is an issue but don't let it be a deal breaker. Don't miss out on this fantastic bike. If you like sport riding and long distance touring and nimble city riding and smooth powerful reliable awesome riding. Then you want this bike.

+1

This is a fine machine and as so many others have said the paint simply is not what one would expect on a top end machine. All of these are painted with the same process, thus ALL have issues. Those that state theirs is fine are simply satisfied with what they have and that's great.
The paint is soft and not what should be. Honda decided on this system probably due to economics saving a proper clear coat step, and belief that the other aspects of the bike would more than offset the possible issues. Again I agree that the likely hood of Honda doing the right thing and changing their process and replacing painted parts with good paint is highly unlikely so we as owners have a couple of choices. Ride em and be happy, constantly address areas of concern as needed, or repaint properly. There is also the option of polishing to your satisfaction, and applying 3M film to those areas that will likely see the worst wear. I did that before I repainted and have also installed the film in some of these areas after my repaint. The biggest issue with a repaint is if you have an incident ( drop it ) or god forbid have an accident those parts will need to be redone matching your chosen color and to be done properly by the same place using the same equipment as was done originally for a correct match. This can be a pain.

Scotrod
01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
The film is an option that many overlook.

I've never 'filmed' anything, but I believe window tint places offer these services.

JR, what areas did you have done / how much $$$?

jkelley
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
The film is an option that many overlook.

I've never 'filmed' anything, but I believe window tint places offer these services.

JR, what areas did you have done / how much $$$?

Actually not that costly at all!

I have gone two ways, buy the film in bulk, and buy specific kits.

I usually do the saddle bag tops where someone's boot might hit, and the fronts, and I put a small piece on the outsides where my fingers touch when closing the bags. I also do the fuel door and tank sides. The application of the film is really pretty easy. Small spray bottle with some dish soap and water, wet the area to apply the film too, peel the backing off the film and wet the contact side of the film also and put it where you want it. Once satisfied with the location work from the center out with a small squeegee and keep working out the liquid from under the film. The 3M film has adhesive that will attach and make it pretty much bullet proof. Although it can be removed ( with some effort ) should you decide you don't like it or want to replace it. I have also tried the removable / replaceable kind but in my opinion it is more prone to air bubbles etc. The 3M film can be worked around various shapes and compound angles but you have to stay with it and keep working it until it set's up pretty well, gently use of a heat gun also helps. I am not an expert, but I have seen some guys that know what they are doing cover round shapes as well. I got my bulk film from Amazon, and kits are available from http://www.thetankslapper.biz/osc/. He has most everything you would want, and will do special requests I have found. Some say it will yellow over time but I have not found that to be the case on the projects I have done so far.

opas ride
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
The 3M film is kind of a pain to install in certain areas, but I had the tank sides and top area covered on a previous bike for over three years and it seemed to work fine...A couple of the edges came loose/up a few times, but using water in a spray bottle and going back over the area took care of the issue generally...No problems with turning yellow, just occasionally a few bubbles under the film which came out, mostly, with the water and a little rubbing rag......Good stuff IMHO.....

Steve 0080
01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
I bought a buffer pad combo from Harbor Freight for about $15.00 I also made the mistake of going to a air buffer....go electric and you will be happy......take it easy with a buffer..... they will take offf some paint in you go at it to strong !!!!