PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on 2013 Harley Ultra Limited

MNF6B
01-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Stop!

Before you tell me that I am on the wrong forum I have a question. I have an opportunity to buy a new 2013 Ultra Limited for 22K. This bike has all the comforts of home including CC, ABS, security system and a great paint job.

My F6BD is fine except for the paint job and no ABS, security, tour pack or cruise. Is getting rid of the Honda for the Harley a good or bad idea?

Former Harley owners and Harley know it all's opinions welcome. Haters, please just move on.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Hornblower
01-24-2014, 09:48 AM
My F6BD is fine except for the paint job and no ABS, security, tour pack or cruise. Is getting rid of the Honda for the Harley a good or bad idea?

To each his own. Assuming you have previously owned or at least experienced the Harley, and therefore know what the differences are, then you are in a position to make the call that only you can make. :shrug:

MNF6B
01-24-2014, 09:53 AM
I have never owned a Harley. I do know lots of biased people who do. LOL

hiflyer
01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
I've owned more HD's than Honda's. This really is a question only you can answer. I've found their touring bikes to be some of the most comfortable bikes to ride down the interstate, if you want to go in a straight line. So let me tell you why I am back on a Honda.

The ever increasing displacement of the air cooled engine, made them roasters for me. I hated that heat issue.

Maintenance. Change the oil on the F6B and go. Lay the bike on it's side and change the tire. Simple.

Reliability. Speaks for itself.

Herd mentality, pirate costumes, and "look at me, I'm baddd". Not for me.

I'm all for heritage, keep it, but give me the choice of something new.

Price. I can have at least two bikes for the price of 1 new top of the line Ultra.

Handling, I love the F6 ride.

Here are some reasons I rode Harley's and might again if they come out with a model I like

Harley has the best paint, accessory availability, and dealer network of any manufacturer.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Do what you want, nobody here will slam you.

1951vbs
01-24-2014, 09:57 AM
There is and will continue to be deals on "Non-Rushmore" HD Touring bikes. They are selling for $2-3000 less than they have been. If you really want the HD style, the difference in payment between that 2013 @ $22K and a 2014 Rushmore Ultra @ $23K (list price) or 2014 Limited @ $26K (list price) wouldn't be much. Why not buy the 2014?

If you want performance, better paint, ABS and a trunk why not just buy a custom painted Goldwing? Pretty sure you can find a 2013 for a good deal from HOR or other dealers that offer them with paint. All they really need is a coat of clear over the stock paint.

I have owned and ridden many HD Electra-Glides and although I like them they do not offer the performance or handling of the Goldwing. If you spend enough money you can really get them to perform but no matter how much you spend on suspension you are dealing with a frame designed in 1980.

coffee_weasle
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
i'd wonder "why" it's for sale.

before i got my f6b, i had 2 electraglides ('96 & '08),
i liked them fine, but, as my riding buddy says, he never saw a h-d service dept that wasn't full of bikes
(and we visited ALOT of them , lol)

until they resolve their throttle-by-wire problems, i will never get on one again

peace of mind....priceless

just my opinion

Miwhite
01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a 2000 Elactraglide with 140,000 kms (85,000 miles) on it and a newly purchased, not yet ridden, F6B. I have made some upgrades to the Harley, such as 1550 cc cylinders, gear drive cams, SE heads, but none were necessary. I am still on the stock drive belt, the engine and drivetrain are fine. The reliability has been good. The handling is fine through the twisties (come ride with me on the 511 to Calabogie). The brakes could be better, the fronts stronger and the rear not so easy to lock up. The only weak spot is the cam-chain tensioners, which may not be an issue on the 2013 model year due to a redesign.

Having said all that, the 2013 and earlier bikes have dropped in value due to the major changes in the 2014 models. As was previously noted, unless you get a super deal on the 2013, get a 2014.

db24
01-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Why is it that when we arrive at our destination while I'm out riding with my H-D buddies, they all want to stand around my F6B and ask questions? I swear that some of them look sick when I lay out the specs and tell them the price. They really feel bad when I easily blow by them on the road. I've had several Harleys and enjoyed them as well. For now, the F6B easily wins out.

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I wasn't going to post to this thread but I couldn't resist.
Up until the F6B I've ridden Harleys for the past 40 years .My 2007 Electragide Ultra, and my 2011 Roadglide Ultra were both constantly in the Shop. Bad transmissions, compensators, front end wobble, primary chain problems, radio problems, security system problems, Tire cupping problems, ABS bearings front and rear going bad every 5000 miles, cam bearing going bad and the list goes on and on. In Harleys defense it was all covered under warranty except the motel stay for 5 days while the figured out what was wrong with it.If you want low maintenance and Reliability Stay the Heck away from HD.
The only way I would buy one is if I could flip it and make a profit.............................Dickie

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I wasn't going to post to this thread but I couldn't resist.
Up until the F6B I've ridden Harleys for the past 40 years .My 2007 Electragide Ultra, and my 2011 Roadglide Ultra were both constantly in the Shop. Bad transmissions, compensators, front end wobble, primary chain problems, radio problems, security system problems, Tire cupping problems, ABS bearings front and rear going bad every 5000 miles, cam bearing going bad and the list goes on and on. In Harleys defense it was all covered under warranty except the motel stay for 5 days while the figured out what was wrong with it.If you want low maintenance and Reliability Stay the Heck away from HD.
The only way I would buy one is if I could flip it and make a profit.............................Dickie

22K for the 13 is not a good price. You can buy a 14 for close to that. But I wouldn't buy any of them unless I could make a profit on it. Nuff Said.....Dickie

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
I have never owned a Harley. I do know lots of biased people who do. LOL

Since I've owned the F6B I've met a bunch of biased Honda riders too! Harley riders are brain washed and don't know any better. They are slowly getting tired of Harley's crap and seeing the light. I'm one of them....................Dickie

1951vbs
01-24-2014, 10:53 AM
I have a 2000 Elactraglide with 140,000 kms (85,000 miles) on it... "The handling is fine through the twisties (come ride with me on the 511 to Calabogie)"....

and a newly purchased, not yet ridden, F6B. .

Wait until you ride the F6B through the twisties!

jakec
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I feel buying a 2013 would be a huge mistake. The 14s have major changes that make the 13s obsolete. I think future resale or trade in would be a disaster. If I was to buy a new Harley it would be a 14, but I would strongly consider waiting a few months and buying a low mileage used one. They are already starting to show up on Ebay and you should be able to do as well or better then a 13.
Jakec

Miwhite
01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Wait until you ride the F6B through the twisties!

Can't wait for spring to see how the F6B handles the twisties. I've ridden a Goldwing and was impressed by the smoothness, handling and power. The F6B can only be better with less weight and no trunk.

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
If it's what you want, DO IT!!!

DISCLAIMER: I've never owned HD.

Some of the things I would like about HD would be the HUGE aftermarket choices for absolutely everything (I like to tinker!)

They sound pretty good!

NICE paint!!!

I believe the 'Rushmore' bikes include some real improvements. Good to see HD 'bringing their game' up a bit! :yes:

Some of the things I would most likely not like about HD:

Last bike (Yami Stratoliner) was air cooled,,, Nothing like going for a ride on a HOT day, then,, when your getting close to home, you have to sit and roast yer ballz off at the stoplights or in traffic,,, Total buzz-kill. Fuel stops are similar,,, Once you quit moving you can't wait to get off that 'stove' as the heat waft's up from below,,, Now, this may actually be a GOOD thing in Canada, but certainly not desirable here in Texas!!!! :icon_lol:

Overall size. I'm 'oversized' and the HD's just feel 'small'. I know lotsa folks bigger than me ride 'em, so this would just be my own 'mental evaluation'

Some of the things I do not like about the HD's I've briefly ridden:

Shakin,,,,, WTF is up with all that shaking??? The few rubber-mounted HD's I've ridden are paint-shakers at the stop-lights and at lower RPM's. Yes, they smooth out eventually, but the last HD I test rode was a CVO Road King,, Below 3,000 rpm, the friggin windshield shook like Politician on Judgment Day!!! Absolute crap considering what it cost!!! Maybe in the 'old days' all that shakin' made folks think it was "fast"? :shrug: Sorry, just can't wrap me head around that 'feature', or why it hasn't been ~reduced/eliminated~ like every other MC manufacturer has done with their touring bikes.

With that being said,,, The flat 6 is almost too smooth!!! I've NEVER came so close to falling asleep on a MC as I have on my 6! :icon_lol:

Anywho,,, We each have different measure's of 'value',,, Doesn't really matter what others say,,,, Go with what YOU want!! :yes:

ghostrider
01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
I have never ridden a Harley but I love the looks and the sound of them. I am more of a sport(touring) bike rider so they really never appealed to me. I may need to go test ride one to mark it off my bucket list though.

All I know is my F6B does exactly what I want a bike to do. No other bike could do it better for me and I'm happy as hell. :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Can't wait for spring to see how the F6B handles the twisties. I've ridden a Goldwing and was impressed by the smoothness, handling and power. The F6B can only be better with less weight and no trunk.

In/out of the curves,,,"Seamless" is the one word I would use to describe the F6B. For such a ~large~ bike, that big girl can BOOGIE!!! :icon_biggrin: :banana:

mikey
01-24-2014, 12:09 PM
If you are planning on putting the miles on an hd better be ready with a maintenance budget. I can say that because I put way mor e miles on a road king than most, and I have always been really by the book on maintenance. More oil changes, more adjustments, same old motor(in general), and the critics say harley really fixed the cam adj. wear problem. I spent$ and did the gear drive replacement. But most hd owners will trade or sell before that needs replaced. I would enjoy the smooth,reliable power & reliability of the honda. Just my high mileage opinion.

coffee_weasle
01-24-2014, 12:13 PM
mikey is right,

i wanted to buy the bike ONCE
the constant repairs gets down right frustrating
(and expensive)

opas ride
01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
I have never owned a HD myself, but have ridden a few and did not like any of them..Bought a Victory Vision which would run circles around any Harley and blow away the 110ci in a drag race....I love the F6B power, smoothness, reliability, looks, etc. and have no plans to go back to any V-twin....If you want all the whistles and bells why not look at a new Goldwing??...I have never been one to join the "herd" so to speak and after riding bikes for over 50 years, never been interested in the HD mystique...I do agree with previous posts that if I were to buy a HD it would be 2014 or later....Good Luck on your decision, but I would keep the F6B and maybe have it painted the way you like...A little costly, but I had mine done Brandywine Red Clearcoat and I love it.....

jkelley
01-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I have both and the Harley is more comfortable, and has a HELL of a lot better paint. IN the past 6 Harelys I have never had a reliability issue, or a problem with any one of them. They hold value well and parts have shown to have never been an issue should you ever need them.
They can be made to run very well but at a cost. The aftermarket is huge.

I do like my F6B and tend to ride it more here in the mountains. The platform has proven reliability, and performance out of the box is great. Handling goes to the Honda in the twisties. I like the smooth quiet ride, and the ease of basic maintenance. However changing an air filter although not very frequent is a pain, and any other major work is difficult as well.

The Harley does have all of the bells and whistles you could want, but in the end the choice is yours to make. Both are good brands and have their following.

mscheidm
01-24-2014, 12:36 PM
I have had two Harleys...1996 Electra Glide Standard, and 2008 Street Glide (sold in 2009). I also rented a 2013 Electra Glide Classic this past summer.

I have also owned 4 Goldwings (77, 84, 86, 94). Ride, reliability, and performance for all of them were much better than the HD's. They were all used bikes that NEVER broke down or had any problems.

When I bought my first new Harley in 96 it broke down on the way home from the dealership (bad ECM). After that issue was resolved it didn't give me much problems and I had fun adding all the chrome goodies and performance mods. The heat from the motor in Sacramento valley during the summer was rough, and the carbed motor was VERY sluggish riding in the mountains. I enjoyed the group rides, culture, and attention I got with the Harley's. I was also much younger when I bought it (31).....and the ladies at the bars were MUCH more interested in going on Harley rides than my "old man" Goldwing's that I had previously owned. I also sold it 5 years later for the same thing I paid for it which was VERY nice. The 2008 Street Glide gave me some problems as well. Oil would come out air cleaner after riding for a couple hours at around 80 mph. This happened to me 3 times and the dealership could find no problems with it when I took it in! I sold it so I could buy a house and didn't have a bike for 4 years. When the F6B came out I fell in love and knew I had to have one.

I got my F6B Deluxe last month and have put about 300 miles on it. There is no comparison to the ride, handling, and power. The Electra Glide rental felt sloppy, top heavy, sluggish, and brakes were terrible. (rotors felt warped..which may have been due to being ridden hard as a rental). I'm done with Harleys.....especially after riding the F6B. The only mod I have planned right now is to install the 18" tinted F4 Customs windshield which is coming on TODAY! Yeah..I wish it had cruise control but that wasn't a show stopper for me. My wife says she enjoys riding on it more than any other bike she's been on. The F6B power and handling are shocking for a bike it's size. I don't like it being limited to 125mph, but that's probably a good thing for me.

If you were to ask me....pass on the Harley and go get an F6B. You will not be disappointed.

opas ride
01-24-2014, 01:09 PM
I just got my March copy of Motorcyclist mag...Read article on page 77 near the end of mag...Advise is buy the 2014 as the new Mt. Rushmore models may have a very negative effect on re-sale/trade of older models including the 2013's....Just a thought!!

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I, also am looking at the 2014 Ultra…. Time to up grade my 03…having said that…you can not compare girlfriends…one can do something better than the other…that does not make one better than the other. I have had 4 H.D.’s. I have never been let down on the side of the road or had any of them in the shop. But…they are two different girls made to do different things. I suggest you have both like I do…The most bikes I ever had at one time was four and I “ loved “ them each for what they could do…I just could never afford that many women !!!

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
I just got my March copy of Motorcyclist mag...Read article on page 77 near the end of mag...Advise is buy the 2014 as the new Mt. Rushmore models may have a very negative effect on re-sale/trade of older models including the 2013's....Just a thought!!

Could be! With so many years of the same thing over and over, the 'pool' of 'same ting' would be pretty large.

I remember semi-early on, before all the specs were out on Rushmore, some HD boards had guys who were searching out 13's,, scared of the 14's as 'water-assisted cooling' was a factor in some models,,, they swore the 'old bikes' would go up in value with the new models coming out.

It would be pretty ironic (at least for those folks) if the 'pre-rushmore' models value dropped as a result of the 14's,,, :icon_wink:

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
I, also am looking at the 2014 Ultra…. Time to up grade my 03…having said that…you can not compare girlfriends…one can do something better than the other…that does not make one better than the other. I have had 4 H.D.’s. I have never been let down on the side of the road or had any of them in the shop. But…they are two different girls made to do different things. I suggest you have both like I do…The most bikes I ever had at one time was four and I “ loved “ them each for what they could do…I just could never afford that many women !!!

My 2003 never gave me a bit of trouble. If I were you I'd keep the 2003. Your asking for trouble buying the 14 ,the first year of many upgrades and many recalls.
This is coming from first hand knowledge of one such 14 that spends a great deal of time in the shop. Lots of computer problems and electrical. I've ridden with him on my F6B many times and hung out at the dealer all day with him while they worked on it. Its dog slow compared to mine.................Dickie

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 03:14 PM
To each his own. Buy what floats you boat.................Dickie

Texas TC
01-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Ride what you like. But, since you asked, I have owned 10 Harley's, mostly touring bikes, and 3 Wings including my current F6B. During my younger years, I enjoyed the Harley social aspect. As I got older, Harley friends tended to drift away as did I. Quality and reliability is definitely in the Honda column. I spent volumes of money on cams, big bore kits, etc. to make the Harley run better than it's stock sluggish form. I read all those who praise Harley paint. Most of mine were black and, after the first wax job, my experience was that there were swirl marks in paint that lasted forever.

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I hear ya Dickie.... but my Brother in Law in on the way from Germany and he has money buring a hole in his pocket !!!!

MNF6B
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
I thank all of you for this valuable information. I am going to enjoy my F6B for a couple more years. I will take a look at the Rushmore Ultra in 2016. I had heard from a friend of mine who is the GM at the local HD dealership that they are having issues with the water-cooled engines.

Ride safe!

Rich

chipmaker
01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
I've had 3 Harleys. I miss that kind of riding enough to know I will add to, not replace my F6B. I'm watching CL for a cheap Heritage or RK... None of my HDs ever needed to go back to the dealership, fluid changes are easy, lots of great indy shops for other stuff. And all those T-shirts!!!

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 09:59 PM
I thank all of you for this valuable information. I am going to enjoy my F6B for a couple more years. I will take a look at the Rushmore Ultra in 2016. I had heard from a friend of mine who is the GM at the local HD dealership that they are having issues with the water-cooled engines.

Ride safe!

Rich

I'm looking forward to the debut of the 2015 Road Glide. (I'd most likely opt for the Ultra vs a Custom, but realistically, I don't see myself jumping ship from the 6 anytime soon)

HD made their new water-assisted cooling system on the 103's about as complicated as it could be, but, they did 'hide' it pretty well.

While I'm 'HD dreaming', I'd like to see a new-from-the-ground-up fully balanced 100% water cooled engine,,,,, in their TOURING bikes. They already have a 500 and 750cc versions of this engine,,, Time to introduce it's 1700-1900 cc 'big brother'.

But wait,,, Haven't the 'Metrics' been doing this for decades already??!!?? :banghead:

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm looking forward to the debut of the 2015 Road Glide. (I'd most likely opt for the Ultra vs a Custom, but realistically, I don't see myself jumping ship from the 6 anytime soon)

HD made their new water-assisted cooling system on the 103's about as complicated as it could be, but, they did 'hide' it pretty well.

While I'm 'HD dreaming', I'd like to see a new-from-the-ground-up fully balanced 100% water cooled engine,,,,, in their TOURING bikes. They already have a 500 and 750cc versions of this engine,,, Time to introduce it's 1700-1900 cc 'big brother'.

But wait,,, Haven't the 'Metrics' been doing this for decades already??!!?? :banghead:

A little birdie told me that when the Roadglide reappears it will have a completely redesigned fairing and a true water cooled engine. One can only hope....................Dickie

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 11:56 PM
A little birdie told me that when the Roadglide reappears it will have a completely redesigned fairing and a true water cooled engine. One can only hope....................Dickie

Anything is possible!

Just by looking at the '13 RG Ultra w/fixed fairing and hard lower's,,, Seems like those could easily be morphed into a ~single~ assembly large enough to tuck some good sized rads in,,, Not too much of a stretch from the current status quo appearance wise,,, but what about the Custom??? Maybe a modern blacked out WC mill in the Ultra, and a old school TC Air head in the Custom???

Also, I think the "Street" 500 and 750 water cooled bikes took a lot of folks by surprise,,,. Water-cooled small CC mills w/SOHC, 4 valves per cyl,,, in a HD????. Sure, the V-rod uses 'similar' modern technology, (DOHC iso SOHC) but HD hasn't really made a lot of strides 'in that direction' since the Revolution engine came out years ago.

Probably due in part to the Vrod mill being a heck of a departure from what the HD faithful were used to seeing,,, :shock::yikes:

IMHO, the 'Street' Series, (along with its other major purposes) is a great way to slowly re-introduce the HD faithful to what a 'more conventional' water-cooled HD V-Twin might look like,,,

IMHO, the Street mills don't look 'bad',,, With the current 'Mo black is better!' fashion trend,,,, I can see a similar, larger ~blacked out~ W/C mill in tucked in a blacked-out RG Ultra,,,

Only time will tell!!

jakec
01-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Scotrod, I always respect your opinion but I disagree with you about the HD cooling system being complicated, in my opinion it is comically simple. It is just two small radiators, electric pump and a water jacket going around the exhaust valve. I really don't see it being much better then being air cooled. Now there electronics are a whole different subject, they are very complicated.
Jakec

Cool Hand Luke
01-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Harley has been making a great water cooled engine for over a decade now. It is bulletproof, does not vibrate much at all, and is very reliable and strong. Yes, A VRod series.

I had a Road King Classic since 2003, it was a 2000 model. I had over 80,000 miles on it when I sold it last year. I also sold my 2007 GW to make room for my new F6B. I still own my 2009 HD VRSCF Muscle, which I greatly like and enjoy. So, my experience with Harley is a positive one.

V Rod Muscle is lighter than F6B and has similar power. It is very fast and smooth. I also find it comfortable but I added fairing, saddlebags and handlebar risers among other things. Road King used to throw a lot of heat on my legs in summertime while Muscle does not. A friend of mine at St. Petersburg HD Dealership told me they don't like selling V Rods as they don't make much money on them for repairs, maintenance only. Their service bays are full of air cooled models. I think Harley faithfull think of V Rods as being a copy of Japanese bikes.

In the end my observation is this: in US we don't need to ride bikes, we do it for fun. I buy what I feel is fun for me at the time then I move on. So decision to buy any bike here is purely an emotional one, and once you have your mind set it is easy to justify the decision.

It sure is fun to be on F6B! And then next time I love flying down the road on my Muscle! It would seem the best to own both if possible.

IamBatmanF6B
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
I own an 09 Street Glide and I am trying to sell my F6B. The F6B is better in almost every way other than paint and riding position in my opinion. I am keeping my H.D. only because I don't own a dime on it and still enjoy riding it. The 2013 H.D. lineup runs hot, very hot! You will be sinking around a grand or more into a catalytic equipped H.D. to make it run cool enough to be able to actually enjoy riding it.

On another note. In reference to the Rushmore H.D. lineup: I can't remember where I read this article but there was a group on a press ride and one of the Rushmore bikes had a water pump failure in the middle of the ride. They had a spare water pump in the saddle bag and changed it out on the side of the road. That's kind of crazy to be carrying a spare water pump!

Mustangjake
01-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Looks like a awesome bike! It will take a lot more cash to make it as fast as a F6B !
All the guys around here are gutting the cats on there 2013 HD's

F6Joe
01-26-2014, 02:29 AM
I'm a very long time Harley rider and previous Winger. Currently Own 2 Harleys, a 2010 CVO Ultra and a 2012Heritage, and am SO very close to either a new Wing or an F6B, (paint issues are a problem for me). I don't really think you would be unhappy with the CVO or Limited, it has all the creature comforts, its a strong performer and one thing Harley has that no other brand does is an outstanding dealer network. Another positive is when you do need service, EVERY tech at a dealership works on Harley BIKES, not lawn mowers, generators, weed-eaters, watercraft etc.... I'm not bashing Honda but we all know that at some dealerships these young techs know squat about Wings..... I'm a guy that loves motorcycles and I hold no single brand loyalty in any way, shape, or form.... Why would a guy who has a Limited Ultra want a Wing...because a Wing is an amazing motorcycle. Would I recommend a guy buy a Limited Ultra over a Wing, yes. They are so very different I don't feel they overlap, so have both in your garage if you can.

opas ride
01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
I agree, it does not make any real difference what you ride as long as you have fun and enjoy what you ride.....As they say "its your money"......

unsub
01-26-2014, 03:18 PM
My F6BD is fine except for the paint job and no ABS, security, tour pack or cruise.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Just an observation in your post. It appears that you're quite happy with the performance of the F6B but it's the esthetics and accessories that you miss. However, the Goldwing Tour would give you everything you miss and let you keep the performance you like.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your ride and ride safe.