PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Keys - How to make them Lock the Handlebars

98valk
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey All,

I've had 3 keys now made by Home Depot. Only 1 of them works in the ignition. That's actually kind of good, because two of them are for the other locks.

The one that works in the ignition did not work to lock the handlebars. I needed a good second key because I bought my bike used and the original owner apparently still wanted a key. :yikes:

Anyway, I found that I could cut the key to work. The slots in the blank key of Home Depot don't run up far enough. I extended the thin slot with a dremel tool using a cutting disc. I used a cylinder sander for the wider groove.

I didn't mic it or anything, just used my fingernail as a guide. Worked first time! So, now I have a good spare key. I didn't want to lock the handlebars, loose the key and be screwed. :icon_doh:

For the other keys: I bought a flat black knob from Radio shack for the glove box lock. I don't know if I will use flat back or gloss black for the tank lock. And I might cut it to have a lower profile.

I used a small knob that I had and painted for the bag lock. It is small enough to fit into that recessed area, rather than stick way out.

Here are some pics, enjoy :039:

coffee_weasle
01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
do you have the part number for the blanks?

i usually keep a spare in my wallet, but i don't want to snap the plastic off of my spare.

98valk
01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
do you have the part number for the blanks?

i usually keep a spare in my wallet, but i don't want to snap the plastic off of my spare.

I don't have a part number exactly. The key says "27R" on it. I imagine that means something to Home Depot. I brought my key there, and they figured out which one I needed.

Nice idea on removing the plastic and having a flat key in my wallet. Great, now you have me going back to Home Depot! :icon_doh:

dickiedeals
01-24-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't have a part number exactly. The key says "27R" on it. I imagine that means something to Home Depot. I brought my key there, and they figured out which one I needed.

Nice idea on removing the plastic and having a flat key in my wallet. Great, now you have me going back to Home Depot! :icon_doh:

The 27r is for a Honda car. Its shorter than the OEM F6B blank it won't go into the lock deep enough to lock the front end..Dickie.

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 03:28 PM
The Home Depot keys will not/should not start or lock the steering..... If you need and exra key...send me $5 in a self address envelope and I will send you a Honda GW key.....

98valk
01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I made the Home Depot key work. That was the point of the post.
Still, $5 for the correct key is great.

1951vbs
01-24-2014, 03:58 PM

This thread covers it quite well. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?80-How-to-make-a-glove-box-key&highlight=spare

If you cut the 27R short it will not start the bike.
If you leave it longer it will start the bike but not lock/unlock the forks.
If you leave it longer and use 98valk's procedure it will also lock/unlock the forks. (That is his point!):banghead:
Or you can get a Gold wing blank from Steve.

Scotrod
01-24-2014, 04:17 PM

That's how I read it! LOL!!!

I ended up getting some G-wing blanks from Ebay

Part number HD-110P:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FOR-HONDA-GOLDWING-2001-UNCUT-BLADE-NON-CHIPPED-KEY-BLANK-HD110-P-/350983404263?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AGoldwing&hash=item51b83dbae7&vxp=mtr

5 keys for 8 bucks here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Blade-Blank-Key-Motorcycle-Honda-Gold-Wing-GL1800-All-Year-Black-/300691024808?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460294eba8&vxp=mtr

98valk
01-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the extra info. I guess I should spend a little more time reading and less time going to the store. But, I did get to take the bike to the store, and that was the real excuse for going. Fun, fun, fun!

On a different subject. I no longer own my 98valk and would like to change my handle, but can't figure out how???

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Nothing wrong with having a name from an old bike !!! Unless you just want to change...let me know.......

I go my keys from a local Honda shop and they were quite exspensive !!!!! Shold have gone to Ebay !!! :yikes:

1951vbs
01-24-2014, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Steve 0080;20002]Nothing wrong with having a name from an old bike !!! Unless you just want to change...let me know....... QUOTE]

My handle is from a really old bike...

bobbyf6b
01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the extra info. I guess I should spend a little more time reading and less time going to the store. But, I did get to take the bike to the store, and that was the real excuse for going. Fun, fun, fun!

On a different subject. I no longer own my 98valk and would like to change my handle, but can't figure out how???

You only have 15 posts, just register under a new name.

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Does not work that way Bobby...we track IP addresses....... If someone wants to changes their Handle...please send a request to the Phantom!

bobbyf6b
01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Does not work that way Bobby...we track IP addresses....... If someone wants to changes their Handle...please send a request to the Phantom!

Ok. What Steve said! :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
01-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Just so folks don't start thinking we are keeping tabs on anyone or any other what if's...remember we were attacked by some folks and the site went down...not once but twice !!!!

Miwhite
01-25-2014, 08:26 AM
The European F6B's have HISS, keys with a chip for an ignition immobilizer. The Canadian F6B is similar to the European version in that it has ABS. My question is, does the Canadian F6B also have HISS.

Elin in So. Cal.
03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
I had the great plan to get keys made at Home Depot (earlier posts) and they didn't have the Honda blank (car or GL). So I bought two blanks on ebay (again earlier posts) and TOOK them to Home Despot. They still couldn't make them because "he said" they didn't have the right "something" to make it work.

I'm thinking i need to just ride over to a locksmith-for-real and have that guy make my keys so I can get on with having one for the gas lock and a backup. Or else make 'em into darts.:icon_frown:

What is it with cars/bikes and keys nowadays? It used to be, you just took your Pontiac key to a locksmith and he made a copy. Now with security everywhere, making keys is getting tougher. :shrug:

kjelders
03-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Just so folks don't start thinking we are keeping tabs on anyone or any other what if's...remember we were attacked by some folks and the site went down...not once but twice !!!!

NSA I say....NSA! 'busted' :icon_mrgreen:

1951vbs
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I had the great plan to get keys made at Home Depot (earlier posts) and they didn't have the Honda blank (car or GL). So I bought two blanks on ebay (again earlier posts) and TOOK them to Home Despot. They still couldn't make them because "he said" they didn't have the right "something" to make it work.

I'm thinking i need to just ride over to a locksmith-for-real and have that guy make my keys so I can get on with having one for the gas lock and a backup. Or else make 'em into darts.:icon_frown:

What is it with cars/bikes and keys nowadays? It used to be, you just took your Pontiac key to a locksmith and he made a copy. Now with security everywhere, making keys is getting tougher. :shrug:

LOWES had the correct blanks and cut mine while I waited.

unsub
03-21-2014, 01:17 PM

Our car requires the technician here to contact Germany to receive the key security code that has an expiry time for activation on this end. Ah...what the hell it's only a few hundred dollars per key.:icon_doh:

BUT it use'ta, use'ta, use'ta be that your [insert brand here] car key would fit every like branded car on the block.:yikes: which wasn't a big problem when honest people roamed the earth.

Scotrod
03-21-2014, 03:09 PM
So I bought two blanks on ebay (again earlier posts) and TOOK them to Home Despot. They still couldn't make them because "he said" they didn't have the right "something" to make it work.

:

Most likely the right "cartridge" if it was a GL key.

I have found a REAL locksmith is the quickest, easiest way to get a working key made. Might not be a bad idea to bring him a GL blank if you fear he may not have one. (I had my own, but he mentioned he was 'out' of GL blanks at the time)

A locksmith won't need no stinkin' cartridge either!!! :icon_biggrin: