PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new ride

JBnAZ
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Hey all - just picked up a new 2013 F6B, black, higher end model. Thanks for the information you all contribute, it helped me purchase with more confidence. I plan to add only a few minor farkles like hiway pegs and a rear rack. Coming off a 2012 Concours, which was less comfortable for my wife and silly fast.

Like many of you that need a 12 step program I've owned and sold many rides, including an 07 GW. That one was sold due to my wife falling asleep on several rides. I'm definitely excited to rack up miles over the next few months.

Josh

Scotrod
01-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Welcome JB!!!
My wife used to head butt me as she fell asleep on my VTX,,, I 'cured' that by getting her on her own bike... She hasn't fallen asleep on 2 wheels since! :yikes:

bobbyf6b
01-28-2014, 10:32 PM
.welcome20.

Let's go on a ride!

BuzzzPhotos
01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
:039:Enjoy! I'd bet the weather there is a lot nicer than most of us are experiencing. Best wishes & ridin'.

Buzz

Steve 0080
01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Congrats on the new bike!!! and Welcome to the forum. My wife falls asleep on the back of my bikes and has for years...It is true sign that she/they are comfortable with your driving !!!

Paul B Blues
01-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Congratulations 'welcome gang''riding'

F6B-RICH
01-29-2014, 09:12 AM
'welcome gang' from a 'freezing-cold' .snowremoval. 'cold' NJ "HOME OF SUPER BOWL XLVIII" :cheers: :icon_biggrin:

Westernbiker
01-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome JB
love this Arizona weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_mrgreen:

choptop
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlaMike
01-29-2014, 06:54 PM
.welcome20. & Congrats on your new ride !!

firetech
01-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard. The miles will add up quickly, so stock up on some NoDoz for the misses. :icon_lol:

JBnAZ
01-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome and yes, we are spoiled with our sunny weather. I paid my dues for many winters in New England and I take as much advantage as possible to be outside riding or camping.

Took the wife out for her first ride tonight and received a positive response. She did comment the grab rails are a bit too low and when I take off the small backrest is a little nerve racking. She commented a grap strap across the MASSIVE seat would have been ideal. I will either raise the backrest or fabricate and alternative grab solution.

My initial feedback from my first few rides:
Suspension works well although the front forks feel stiffer than I expected. I will dig into the manual and see if the forks have any adjustment or if they may soften over time.

Hand grips feel a tad small in diameter - I had large grips on my last cruiser and became a fan of the larger grips.

Need a little time to adjust from my Concours, which was very responsive and a totally different riding position and feel. A few more rides and this becomes a non issue.

Bike needs hiway pegs very soon, all other upgrades will wait till I have a few thousand miles on the bike.

An older couple walked past the bike, both commented on the good looks, then realized it was a Honda and I had to chuckle. Not sure that is the demographic Honda was seeking!

Definitely looking forward to a long Saturday ride.

jlyon
01-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Hey JBnAZ,

I'm in Phoenix for a couple of more days...

Is there any place to rent an F6B this coming weekend (Jan 31 or Feb 1) ??

I would love to get a little ride in before I head back to the cold...

bobbyf6b
01-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Hand grips feel a tad small in diameter - I had large grips on my last cruiser and became a fan of the larger grips.

I have a set of black Kuryakyn grips for sale if you're interested. They were a little big for me.

JBnAZ
01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Jlyon,

Good question, I'm not sure I would know that answer. I know many local HD dealers rent but not so much for other cruisers. You may want to contact GoAZ shop or simply hit google or bing and search for bike rentals in Phoenix. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I have not rented here and friends from out of town seem to want that Harley experience.

Good luck finding one. If you do I suggest the ride up to Barlett lake from Phoenix then a cruise through Cave Creek as you will see hundreds of nice rides in that area. Watch for sand in the corners on Bartlett lake road.

Josh

JBnAZ
01-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Bobbyf6b - I have heated grips and haven't investigated what grips are compatible with that option. I may opt for a very simply pull over style wrap for them.

But first things first, hiway pegs are tops on my list.

bobbyf6b
01-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Bobbyf6b - I have heated grips and haven't investigated what grips are compatible with that option. I may opt for a very simply pull over style wrap for them.

I also have heated grips so they are made for it. Just let me know, I have an ad on Craigslist.

chipmaker
01-30-2014, 03:20 AM

I slid grip puppies on, they work well, and dont interfere with heaters. I have the backrest riser, my wife and kid loves it, I think it is another add-on that takes away from the original coolness. When I know they are not gonna ride for awhile, I remove the backrest alltogether.

Scotrod
01-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Took the wife out for her first ride tonight and received a positive response. She did comment the grab rails are a bit too low and when I take off the small backrest is a little nerve racking. She commented a grap strap across the MASSIVE seat would have been ideal. I will either raise the backrest or fabricate and alternative grab solution.

Grab strap,,, Maybe use your belt? :shrug: Hope you don't end up like this: :moon:

Steve0800 has a great bracket for raising the passenger B/R pad.

JBnAZ
01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I will check out the grip puppies and backrest riser. I was considering a rear rack but the more I think about it the less I want one. So many possibilities, never enough $.

Darkknight
01-31-2014, 06:55 AM
Welcome from Cold CT.
I've added Steve's backrest riser. It looks good and works great!
Now if I could only get out to ride. We need a good rainstorm to wash the salt off the roads. Not likely anytime soon. :0(

JBnAZ
01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
I grew up in CT and spent 32 years there, I feel your pain. That's one of the main reasons I moved to AZ. My 76 KZ 900 was my only transportation for a few years and I rode year round, nothing like riding 5 ft off an 18 wheelers bumper for a wind break. One of many "interesting" things I did back in the day!

Makes me think of another thread to start - what is the dumbest thing you carried on your bike? Mine was a quarter keg on that same KZ 900. Why exactly did I drop out of college? Hmmm

hiflyer
01-31-2014, 07:37 AM

Try some grip buddies

opas ride
01-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Put the Kuryakyn grips over the stock heated grips on mine..Work fine and give me a much better feel of control and comfort.....