PDA

View Full Version : Ready to pull the plug until...

DaBigGreyDawg
01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
I went by my local Honda dealer yesterday to by my new F6B Red Deluxe. Price I was willing to pay for the bike was good, terms and conditions met; but the dealer doesn't take bikes as a trade-in this time of year. :banghead::banghead: I was thinking of going to another dealers (bigger) that would take trade-ins, but I have been dealing with my local dealer for the last twelve years and he and his service department has always treated me real well. So, I'll wait.

Looks like my wife gets a reprieve until about the middle of March.

ghostrider
01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
I went by my local Honda dealer yesterday to by my new F6B Red Deluxe. Price I was willing to pay for the bike was good, terms and conditions met; but the dealer doesn't take bikes as a trade-in this time of year. :banghead::banghead: I was thinking of going to another dealers (bigger) that would take trade-ins, but I have been dealing with my local dealer for the last twelve years and he and his service department has always treated me real well. So, I'll wait.

Looks like my wife gets a reprieve until about the middle of March.

That's surprising! Sounds like they don't want to sell a bike. Not sure if I've heard of that before. A dealership not taking a trade-in because of the time of year. :shrug:

DaBigGreyDawg
01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Blalock Cycle is a very small dealer. He treats his customers right, there isn't a big showroom so he keeps his overhead down and he hourly prices for service is the lowest in the area and his mechanics do good work.

opas ride
01-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Maybe try to sell bike outright locally or on web???...Otherwise wait until spring I suppose...Would dealer be willing to put your bike on the floor on consignment to try and sell....I did it once a few years ago with a small dealer and it worked out okay.....Good Luck and I hope you don't miss out on the F6B...It is a great ride..

Scotrod
01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
One of the Local Yami dealer's simply doesn't take trade-ins, but they will sell your old bike on commission basis. :shrug:

Honda dealer just down the street has an excellent selection of used bikes, all flavors, and you don't have to buy one from him to in order for him to buy yours. (He bought the wife's Kawi just after we bought her last Yami elsewhere.)

Just a thought,,,,, (and depending on your local tax laws, probably eliminates your sales tax benefit of having a trade in on a new bike) , but,,,,,, will the 'other' dealer give you a fair price to purchase your old bike outright w/o buying one from him?

No real harm done in waiting, but it might be another option,,, :shrug:

ghostrider
01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Blalock Cycle is a very small dealer. He treats his customers right, there isn't a big showroom so he keeps his overhead down and he hourly prices for service is the lowest in the area and his mechanics do good work.

I guess it will be worth the wait then. Maybe you can try to sell it outright in the meantime. I ended up selling my 97 R1100RT to a very happy customer instead of trading it in.

He rolled up from his test ride, opened his sheild and said "I'll take it!!". Got full price. Didn't even talk about the price. It didn't have the dreaded surging that some of those bikes had so he wanted it.

MSGT-R
01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Good deal! You would have been downright insulted if you went the dealer-buy route.

I went to Malcolm Smith to sell my VFR1200. They offered me about half Kelly Blue and I asked them what they've been smoking?? :icon_evil:They tried to justify a "profit margin", but a $6k margin just doesn't wash, considering they would put it on the floor at the Kelly Blue price with all the upgrades that's on it (including the Corbin treatment). I'll never try that again.

I had bikes on consignment with FBC in San Diego. My GL1100 was abused and they claimed they didn't know anything (they bent the kickstand??). My CBR1000RR was always getting calls from them trying to low ball me on an already low price. A talk with the new owner (to give the spare key and maintenance manual) said that they gouged him for more than $2k over my asking price!

Never again to all of the above. Private sale or nothing.

Scotrod
01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Yep, cars are like bikes,, There are folks who will bend you over if you let 'em.

Know the value of what you have, be fair, and go from there.

We traded the Yami in on the wife's 6. (A particular salesman at) HOR screamed and whined about what it was worth, to the tune of a couple thou less than we wanted. Our number was fair, it allowed him the potential for some profit, and we never budged a penny. Told him 'it is what it is' or you can keep your 6 and we'll take our Yami back to TX.

He gave in.

Told me later he had to try,,, Told him I understood,,, "Just business" :icon_biggrin:

My employment involves a fair amount of 'financial negotiations' with greater numbers than the price of a bike. It's provides a lot of good practice for 'personal purchases' :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
01-30-2014, 02:26 PM
DBGD--- sounds to me like your dealer does not want to wait for his money for a couple of months...can't blame him for that.....got to know all the numbers when you are buying or selling...have to educate yourself or get the wood.....

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Prolly said, but my suggestion would be not to trade in and sell out right.

J