PDA

View Full Version : HOR Custom Paint Option - Input Needed

F6BPDX
02-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been in contact with the folks at Honda of Russellville and need input from you guys and gals.

I am sure most of us are familiar with HOR's signature series paint, but not all of us had the option initially of buying from them, so we are discussing a possible new option:

Step 1: Choose a paint color.
Step 2: HOR paints a new complete set of Tupperware that color.
Step 3: Schedule a ride in to have HOR professionally swap all existing plastics for new same day, they would then keep the old plastics to offset costs. (I would imagine this could also be a mail swap though that defeats the instant and pro parts of the equation)

The HOR guys are interested in offering this service but would like input on A) Is this something you would be interested in either now or in the future? B) What do you feel would be a fair price for this type of service?

I feel like this would accomplish letting folks get new paint without the worry of wether or not the tear down and reassembly would be done right, and also get rid of the long downtime usually involved.

Thoughts?

ED209
02-01-2014, 08:54 AM
:clap2: I like it. Wish they had baby blue, the color of the new Valk. :icon_biggrin:

I pasted their colors for everybody so you don't have to search. :moon:

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/sachimofan/library/New%20Motorcycles/F6B?sort=3&page=1

Cool Hand Luke
02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
I like the idea too, no idea about the price. I would also be interested in painting some, if not all, dull black parts too. Or maybe hydro dipping them in carbon fiber pattern like Pete from BikeMP3 has done.

My black paint still looks good to me so this would be purely cosmetic for me.

Scotrod
02-01-2014, 09:08 AM
:clap2: I like it. Wish they had baby blue, the color of the new Valk. :icon_biggrin:

They will paint 'em any color you want. All they need is the name of a Honda OEM color or a PPG paint code.

Mine is Honda Illusion Blue: (2nd one on the link) I am unaware of any other F6B in that same color.

Another member had his done in Cobra Blue:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?691-New-Cobra-Blue-F6B&highlight=ford

I believe the official color of the new Valk is listed as 'metallic blue'. HOR can do that for ya!

(Actually, they have the same 3rd party that does all their trikes paint the 6's / wings / whatever)

Blotar
02-01-2014, 09:17 AM
it cost me $1856.00 at HOR to go from a Deluxe to an HR Signature bike. I am happy I did it. I was remembering my Valkyrie and even commented at work that I possibly (overall) might enjoy it more than the F6B. So I dug it out of the garage and got on it for the first time since getting home from Russelville. Wow! What was I thinking? I do still have a huge soft spot in my heart for the Valkyrie, but it drives like a Pig compared to my new ride. I was shocked at how many things just didnt seem right. Hell, even the gear shift felt like it was in the wrong place. :icon_biggrin:
Blotar

Scotrod
02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone,

The HOR guys are interested in offering this service but would like input on A) Is this something you would be interested in either now or in the future? B) What do you feel would be a fair price for this type of service?

Thoughts?

Well, it's not too hard to figure out "about" what it would sell for based off the price of a Sig Series vs an all OEM bike.

There is a ~$1,900~ price spread between Sig and OEM, with Sig also including the addition/installation of clear turn sigs, a convertible baggershield, and base models get a center-stand.

I believe the trike company does all the installations now as that is where the painting occurs. Unclear if you would ride in, bike gets taken to trike company/returned, or if the swap would happen 'on site' by one of their Honda Techs. (Almost certain the trike 'assembly crew' doesn't draw the $/hr a Honda Tech does. It is AR after all,,,)

Swapping 'tins' via mail would have a deposit involved,,, Hard to say how much 'just the prep/paint/postage' would be if you swapped everything yourself,,,

Steve 0080
02-01-2014, 09:30 AM
It is definitely worth while...I would like to start off with a correctly painted BLACK F6B and see what that charge would be?

bobbyf6b
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Sign me up if the price is right. I'm thinking $1000 but that might be wishful thinking. I'd like it to match my Jeep. OD GREEN. :icon_cool:

Scotrod
02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
It is definitely worth while...I would like to start off with a correctly painted BLACK F6B and see what that charge would be?

A 'ride in in the AM, ride out in the PM' service should be 'do-able' if coordinated correctly.

Place a deposit on some 'tins', get 'em painted... Ride in/swap tins, get deposit back same day.

~$1700-$1900~ plus deposit???? :shrug:

"Dedicating" an employee for a day to perform a ride in-ride out service kinda screws up the trike shops schedule,,, But, like anything else,,, Mo $$ makes it happen.

The price would be a lot less for tins 'handed to you' for several obvious reasons...

Also have the unknown condition of the 'used' tins,,, So far, the trike shop has all new parts to prep/paint with the Sig Series bikes,,, Little dings and dangs on the old tins could add to the $$$

(I call 'em 'tins' even thought they're not 'metal,,, Too dayum much typing involved with 'tupperware'! LOL!)

opas ride
02-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Sounds okay if it works for you...I had mine done locally at dealer and love it so far..Cost was about $2000...HOR is to far for me and I did not know they painted bikes at the time...I for one, if my bike was not already painted, might be a little dubious about the arrangement,but it may work for some....Good Luck

Steve 0080
02-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Opas...might be a little dubious about the arrangement"

Whats your thinkin?

I think it is a great ideal.... making money is making money...the dealership would be foolish to not do a deal like this...all they have invested is a shop guy to do the swap, and one original set of tins......

opas ride
02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Steve....I am always a little "dubious" about deals that I have not personally checked out for myself...I have no issues with the HOR deal for those that are interested, I just prefer to work locally and not with someone I do not know...If I lived closer to them and had a need to look into this arrangement I might "bite", but I am not...Just me I suppose, and my old fashioned ways...For those that have purchased painted bikes from HOR, I am sure they are happy with the bike as am I with mine.....I honestly cannot comment positive or negative on this idea until we hear from those who sent in their "tins" etc..and are satisfied with the arrangements.....

Phantom
02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Opas,

I understand your reluctance however ...

I speak with the General Manager of HOR periodically, I can tell you that HOR is a CLASS ACT with an extraordinary reputation. I know of several Goldwing owners that flew in to Arkansas to purchase their Goldwinds and Goldwing trikes, now I know of a few F6B owners and I can tell you from the experiences that everyone has had, HOR has always been good to everyone. They are a Business that you can purchase from with confidence, otherwise I would not have invited them to be part of this website. Just my 2 cents.

Hornblower
02-01-2014, 02:26 PM

As disappointed as I am with the OEM soft black paint, it will be very hard to justify spending what it will probably cost to have it redone. I'm assuming the cost will be > $1500. No, I will probably just continue to wax and polish until the paint wears thin and then, trade it in for another bike.

I have to say, this paint issue really blindsided me and I will be checking more closely on future purchases. I guess you just can't assume anymore that a manufacturer, with a good track record for quality, will not be tempted to sacrifice quality to enhance their short-term bottom line. I say short-term because I believe this kind of cost-cutting will hurt Honda sales long-term. So yes, they save a few bucks today but the customers they lose for future sales is the unanswered question. Does this not seem a very un-Japanese way of looking at things considering their history of thinking and planning long-term? That's how it strikes me.

choptop
02-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Being a life long impulse buyer, it has been VERY hard for me to not sign on the line for a F6b, even though I would have to look at it for 4 months while making payments and paying for insurance. The one thought I have is pricing a repainted Black F6b from HOR and flying down to road trip it back to Wi.

opas ride
02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Opas,

I understand your reluctance however ...

I speak with the General Manager of HOR periodically, I can tell you that HOR is a CLASS ACT with an extraordinary reputation. I know of several Goldwing owners that flew in to Arkansas to purchase their Goldwinds and Goldwing trikes, now I know of a few F6B owners and I can tell you from the experiences that everyone has had, HOR has always been good to everyone. They are a Business that you can purchase from with confidence, otherwise I would not have invited them to be part of this website. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate your position and if I ever buy another bike, which is doubtful at my age, (74), I would not hesitate to look into HOR..One issue is after sale service at some dealers. I have had lousy service , been lied to, and been shuffled to the wait list from local dealers that give you "crap" if the bike was not purchased from them...Granted Honda's don't often need repairs, but thanks again for the confidence in HOR.....

Cool Hand Luke
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
As they say on Shark Tank, 'I'm out'. My paint quality doesn't bother me THAT much.

Scotrod
02-01-2014, 05:36 PM
The painted tins are great for someone who doesn't really want 'all black', red, or yellow. (That would be me)

A new color can give your 'old' ride a whole new identity,,,

HOR offers a lifetime warranty on the custom paint. (At least they do on the Sig Series, not sure why they wouldn't do the same on all painted tins)

I do have a couple little 'blems' in my paint job, but very hard to see and they don't bother me.

thegrtwizard
02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Being a life long impulse buyer, it has been VERY hard for me to not sign on the line for a F6b, even though I would have to look at it for 4 months while making payments and paying for insurance. The one thought I have is pricing a repainted Black F6b from HOR and flying down to road trip it back to Wi.

I totally agree with you choptop. I think the bike is pretty sharp and really thought about trading one of my wing's to get one but with the paint issues I can't justify getting one only to have to paint it before I'd be happy with it

F6B-RICH
02-01-2014, 06:22 PM
If someone was to buy a new Honda F6B and before the bike got lots of dirt/bugs and miles on it just clear coated all the colored panels would the cost not be that bad? .batman-smilie.

Steve 0080
02-01-2014, 06:30 PM
If you could get it in Japan and paint if before leaving maybe....mine looked like poopoo when I picked it up!!!!

Blotar
02-01-2014, 06:57 PM
It occurred to me that HOR pricing was so far below MSRP that they actually were giving those signature series away for free. Mine got fog lights down low as well as the other things mentioned. ie; the bagger shield, clear turns signal lenses, front fender extension and that wonderful paint. All I need now is a destination for me and Old Spice. Possibly in April.
Blotar

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-01-2014, 08:10 PM
If someone was to buy a new Honda F6B and before the bike got lots of dirt/bugs and miles on it just clear coated all the colored panels would the cost not be that bad? .batman-smilie.

A little off topic -

I appreciate those working to get Ma Honda to help with their poor paint issue, but in the interim -

I've done just that. 2 Coats of Turtle Black Wax and 2 coats of Liquid Glass, then maintained with Maxima Clear coat polish, and my paint has never looked so good.
http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=106&attachmentid=3893

J

opas ride
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I still wonder how really serious this "paint issue" is?, or is it blown out of proportion by the complaints on this site vs. the number of bikes sold that the owners are satistifed with and just wax/polish as they need...Again, I don't need folks to "flame me" as my bike was painted before pick-up by my personal choice of a different color...Not because of any paint issues because I was not aware of any before I purchased my F6B....

Scotrod
02-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I still wonder how really serious this "paint issue" is?, or is it blown out of proportion by the complaints on this site vs. the number of bikes sold that the owners are satistifed with and just wax/polish as they need...Again, I don't need folks to "flame me" as my bike was painted before pick-up by my personal choice of a different color...Not because of any paint issues because I was not aware of any before I purchased my F6B....

I'm pretty much with you, Opa. I can't say for certain there is or is not a huge problem, but I do know the reports are not limited just to F6B's or 2013 yr. models.

The wifes OEM Black did get some hairline scratches on it. So did my Sig Series, but perhaps not as many/not as easy to see. She's at 2600 miles and I'm at 6200,,,
Both purchased in Sept 12. Neither bike was ever polished or waxed till a week ago. (I use T-Wax ICE, a paint sealer, so technically, not 'waxed')
I used a very mild Meguire's "Ultimate" polish (glaze). Hit the 'scratch' spots a couple times lightly w/it and then 'seal'.

Both look like new now. Undoubtedly, they will both need more of the same down the road, but we're not 'unhappy' with our paint.

Likewise, I'm certain there are OEM MC paint jobs out there that will take more abuse and look better doing it, but with just a little TLC, the paint our 6's ,,, so far,,, isn't worth complaining about.

I certainly hope everyone realizes there are different ways of keeping different paints looking good,,,, This certainly isn't the same paint we had 10-20 yrs ago,,If you haven't changed your paint care routine to match the type of paint on the vehicle, and you are having problems,,,eh, well,,, there's nothing wrong with doing some research.

This is a very good read:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?21067-What-is-the-meaning-of-soft-paint

ED209
02-02-2014, 08:09 AM
I cant complain about my paint. I immediately coated the bike with a sealer after I bought it though. Bought a sealer and protection kit with my daughters lease Honda Civic. Works great on the bike.
http://pc.ecpinc.net/productsPrograms.asp?C1=5 ECP Protector kit.

JBnAZ
02-02-2014, 10:13 AM
If I were to consider any aftermarket upgrade it would be a wrap and not a new paint job, and it would be all mat black. I had the denim red street glide and with that finish you never, ever wax it, it will ruin the finish. You simply wash it twice a year with really hot water.

I know it's personal preference, but I'm way more into riding than cleaning. My bikes often look bug layden and dusty. Like others on the thread I will wax it, eventually, and live with the looks. I buy toys to use them, not so much for their showroom looks.

I wish Honda had made the black model with all mat finish.

I do like looking at the perty pictures of those that have laid down 2K for custom paint! No denying the good looks of this bike in non OEM colors.

JB

Scotrod
02-02-2014, 10:58 AM
I do like looking at the perty pictures of those that have laid down 2K for custom paint! No denying the good looks of this bike in non OEM colors.

JB

I'm not really a fan of black, black, with a little more black added to the black,,, The red just wasn't my choice either,,,

I tried 2 local dealers,,, neither one would match the HOR prices on OEM,,, In addition, they 'respectfully declined' to quote me a price that would be lower than MSRP/higher than HOR to compensate my travel costs from Houston to AR.. :shrug:

When you don't want the OEM colors,,, and 'any color you want' is ~10 hrs~ away for 1k under MSRP, and the local dealers won't even 'counter-quote' their OEM bikes to compete, jeez,,, the '2,000' for custom paint quickly starts to look more like 200, 20, or maybe just 2! :shock:

(We did buy a helmet from the local dealer though! :icon_biggrin:)

opas ride
02-02-2014, 11:46 AM
As I said before, I had mine painted by choice before pick-up..Did I want to spend the cash, "Hell no", but it has been worth it to me so far as I really like the color of my bike. I would have much preferred to purchase a factory color, as I have done for over 50 years, as this is the first bike of many owned, that I have ever had painted...I was motivated to paint it because it will probably be my last bike as I am getting older and do not need to change bikes much anymore and frankly cannot afford it.(Thanks to the Obamacare BS) and his lies about keeping your old policy, which has nothing to do with this post, but I got a huge increase in premiums, thanks to him, and funds are being spend more wisely these days.....Anyhow, I truly understand those with paint issues as I, like most here, like my bike to look good and at my age I do spend a lot of time, too much, keeping the bike clean and shiney.......I do hope Honda finds a real solution as they face stiff competition from others that do not have paint problems..i.e, HD, Victory, Indian, etc....

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Not intending to stir the pot or counter the argument being made by those who perceive a paint issue; has anyone tried matching serial numbers, manufactured dates or batch numbers to see if any correlation can be made? I have read most of the poor paint threads but didn't pick up on this kind of investigation.
I can say I didn't anticipate as much work with aftermarket wax and clear coat protectors to maintain my paint, but I'm anal about that stuff any way.
I also recently got a black car and its equally difficult to take care of so for me, learning how to deal with a black paint was most of the challenge.
I also would not let this issue keep me from recommending this bike to others.
I hope you all find a solution that makes you happy.
J

bobbyf6b
02-02-2014, 11:57 AM
All I know is I've owned many bikes over the years, in many colors, and I NEVER waxed any of them and they looked great! This bike looks like complete and total :bsII:

The only reason it doesn't bother me so much is because it's such a great bike and I love it, despite the worst paint I've ever seen on any vehicle I've ever owned. You can tell me how to polish, wax, spit shine or whatever to make it look good but I shouldn't have to do that to keep it looking good. That's over and above normal care for me. I had a black Suzuki and never did anything but wash and dry it and it always looked showroom new.

Don't try to tell me there's nothing wrong with this paint. It's piss poor (even cats don't like it) and Honda should be as embarrassed as I am when anyone looks at my bike closely. It's a mess. .batman-smilie.

choptop
02-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I totally agree with you choptop. I think the bike is pretty sharp and really thought about trading one of my wing's to get one but with the paint issues I can't justify getting one only to have to paint it before I'd be happy with it

It would seem that not everybody has issues w/da paint. I think the trick is to get a nice new one, follow some of the procedures some of the guys go threw w/wax, sealer... and such and keep on top of it. The paint issues will not keep me from getting one. But thats just this cheese heads opinion.lol

bobbyf6b
02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
If I were to consider any aftermarket upgrade it would be a wrap and not a new paint job, and it would be all mat black. I had the denim red street glide and with that finish you never, ever wax it, it will ruin the finish. You simply wash it twice a year with really hot water.

I know it's personal preference, but I'm way more into riding than cleaning. My bikes often look bug layden and dusty. Like others on the thread I will wax it, eventually, and live with the looks. I buy toys to use them, not so much for their showroom looks.

I wish Honda had made the black model with all mat finish.

JB

JB, I had a denim blue street glide! I also looked into the wrap idea but it will cost almost as much as a paint job and will only last a year or two. And after baking in the AZ sun I'm guessing it will be nearly impossible to remove, so you'll have to put wrap over wrap over wrap over wrap to keep it looking good for years.

MichaelG
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Not intending to stir the pot or counter the argument being made by those who perceive a paint issue; has anyone tried matching serial numbers, manufactured dates or batch numbers to see if any correlation can be made? I have read most of the poor paint threads but didn't pick up on this kind of investigation.

In answer to your question...Yes...I suggested this matter more than 8 months ago, to have those forum members that do believe they have bad paint on their bikes, to supply the forum with the last 4 numbers of their VIN, and the Manufacture Date, so we could see if there was any connection to any of these bad paint jobs.

A couple of us supplied that info, and then it died. :icon_frown:

F6BPDX
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Man this thread derailled in a hurry.

This wasn't intended to be another thread about paint quality, as I have stated before I don't really even have an issue at this point.

My thoughts in contacting HOR was more to get an option for those who want a color that isn't black or red, but already own a bike. It also would work great for those that DO have a paint problem.

I would rather personally spend 2 weeks making a road trip out of things with one day laid over in Russellville than surrender my bike to a shop for 3 weeks and hope they happen to also be good at disassembly and reassembly of an F6B. That is what got my brain turning on this.

I posted here because HOR asked me to try and get input on wether other folks who might be considering paint would also view the ride/swap as a viable option.

MichaelG
02-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Okay, then...back on the train tracks......I would be a candidate for having HOR do a repaint of my bike, in one of the several ways discussed.

So if we are looking for numbers, to report back to HOR, I am in. :039:

Personally, I would do the ride out to HOR, on my way East to one of those get togethers those folks in Florida or North carolina like to host....and on the way out, I would have it pre-arranged with HOR to have all the painted parts ready for me, to do a swap of all the painted tupperware. Spend a day or two in Russellville, and leave when it is all back together.

Retired Army
02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
I would do a road trip to HOR just because I would love a yellow F6B. I think a good clear coat would do wonders.

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM

This wasn't intended to be another thread about paint quality, as I have stated before I don't really even have an issue at this point.

My thoughts in contacting HOR was more to get an option for those who want a color that isn't black or red, but already own a bike. It also would work great for those that DO have a paint problem.

I would rather personally spend 2 weeks making a road trip out of things with one day laid over in Russellville than surrender my bike to a shop for 3 weeks and hope they happen to also be good at disassembly and reassembly of an F6B. That is what got my brain turning on this.

I posted here because HOR asked me to try and get input on wether other folks who might be considering paint would also view the ride/swap as a viable option.

Sorry about that, Mike.
If I were to find myself unhappy or wanting a color change, I'd say no to the paint - part exchange. Not that it's a bad idea; although all alternatives will be costly, I'm a DIYer and would likely have painted locally.

J

opas ride
02-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I already have my bike painted as noted in previous posts, but as said above, no,... I would not be interested as I would prefer to have the paint done locally...HOR, I am sure does a nice job, but too far away for me....Regards....

F6B-RICH
02-02-2014, 05:15 PM

I think for most people its what is the price.If you get a price I think you would get a better number on who would get it done and who would not .batman-smilie.

F6BPDX
02-02-2014, 10:59 PM
I think for most people its what is the price.If you get a price I think you would get a better number on who would get it done and who would not .batman-smilie.

Price is one of the things that is up for discussion. I felt that the $1200-$1500 people are being quoted local would be a good starting point and told HOR that but haven't heard anything back yet since that was Saturday afternoon. My thinking is that this would be a trade off of local but 3 week wait vs. Non local but no real downtime. I highly doubt it will be cheaper than local.

Scotrod
02-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Pretty sure HOR established the exact cost of such the process, meaning drop the bike at the trike shop, pick it back up, etc. 99% sure the trike guys are installing all the Sig-Series farkles as well. "Turn-key" Sigs, BUT, the question the Vendor needs answered is seldom 'how much does it cost me?' as much as it is 'how much will I be able to sell it for?'

So again,,, they have been doing this already for approx. ~2k~, installed, with some added farkles thrown in.

IMHO, $1,200 for paint only, ride in/ride out installed, may not be 'attractive' enough to the trike shop/HOR. :shrug:

Quite a few hands in the pot, so to speak,,, HOR would get it's 'finders fee',,, trike shop would have to split up what's left after expenses,,,

Scotrod
02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
My thinking is that this would be a trade off of local but 3 week wait vs. Non local but no real downtime. I highly doubt it will be cheaper than local.

Agree. :yes:

edgeman55
02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm interested and would take the trip for the exchange if the price were right.Until a projected price point is posted it is hard to say if I would do it.

98valk
02-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Do you think HOR is sanding all these panels, or is there a shortcut since the panels are new?

F6Joe
02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I have ridden through there a half dozen times, and stopped in 2 or 3 times. Ya know how get a "feeling" your in a good dealership, well thats what I had, and it does not come easy for me! They are going to be at the top of my list if I buy a new bike and/or have it painted... I also think they are a top notch operation.

F6Joe
02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Okay, then...back on the train tracks......I would be a candidate for having HOR do a repaint of my bike, in one of the several ways discussed.

So if we are looking for numbers, to report back to HOR, I am in. :039:

Personally, I would do the ride out to HOR, on my way East to one of those get togethers those folks in Florida or North carolina like to host....and on the way out, I would have it pre-arranged with HOR to have all the painted parts ready for me, to do a swap of all the painted tupperware. Spend a day or two in Russellville, and leave when it is all back together.

Agree 100%. Heck I've saddled up and traveled farther for no reason at all, so this would be a destination trip!

jkelley
02-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Do you think HOR is sanding all these panels, or is there a shortcut since the panels are new?

They would have to or the paint will not adhere to the panels.

MichaelG
02-04-2014, 10:00 AM
They would have to or the paint will not adhere to the panels.

Why sand down the OEM painted panels...when all they have to do is wash those panels, and the original paint will come off :icon_wink:

Twas meant to be a joke :icon_mrgreen:

"coffee"

GiddyupF6B
02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Why sand down the OEM painted panels...when all they have to do is wash those panels, and the original paint will come off :icon_wink:

Twas meant to be a joke :icon_mrgreen:

"coffee"

:lolup: My bike is now "primer gray" from washing and waxing it so much. 2 more weeks to paint, I can't wait!!!

RickW
02-04-2014, 12:33 PM
We are working with HOR right now on a new F6B Deluxe with Custom Painting. We are pretty sure that it is going to be Kandy Apple Red. After the painting is done and before the parts are re-installed they will be shipped to our Painter, Mike Lamborne of MountainMan Art.
He has a design figured out for the bike and Teresa has a graphic design to be air brushed inside of the design. We will have HOR put it all back together when the panels are all air brushed and cleared.
HOR appears to be very easy to work with, we have a lot of customers that have purchased bikes from them over the years.
Should be able to have it all complete by Mid Spring sometime.
Rick

Cruiser
02-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I looked at a couple of HOR custom painted Wings at Wing Ding last summer (in their booth) and thought the paint jobs looked pretty bad. Hopefully, that is not indicative of their work. Lots of orange peel and frankly, a dull finish. Pretty colors, but the quality just did not look that great. $1,895 for a custom paint job is cheap considering all of the parts on a Goldwing that have to be painted. I had a 1975 CL360 painted which consisted of a gas tank and two side covers and it was close to $1,000. But, it looked better than ANY paint job coming from Honda.

Retired Army
02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Can any poster comment on why a water based clear coat could not be applied over the factory finish? :jerkit:

1951vbs
02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Can any poster comment on why a water based clear coat could not be applied over the factory finish? :jerkit:

It would not have to be a water based clear-coat. If the factory finish was cleaned and free of wax, then sanded, a standard urethane or other clear-coat could be applied over it. Disassembly, reassembly, prep and clear drive the cost. IMO, if you are going to go through the work you might as well get a unique color and I also don't know why you don't add some graphics, flames, hydro-graphics at the same time as they do not add greatly to the cost. I have had many of my bikes custom painted and when I can figure out what I will ride for a few weeks while I get my F6B painted I'll show you what I mean.

mtcgun
02-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Did I miss a step here? Is HOR just farming out the painting to a trike shop? If so, why not just cut out the middle man and negotiate
with the trike shop?

Elin in So. Cal.
02-04-2014, 10:55 PM
It would not have to be a water based clear-coat. If the factory finish was cleaned and free of wax, then sanded, a standard urethane or other clear-coat could be applied over it. Disassembly, reassembly, prep and clear drive the cost. IMO, if you are going to go through the work you might as well get a unique color and I also don't know why you don't add some graphics, flames, hydro-graphics at the same time as they do not add greatly to the cost. I have had many of my bikes custom painted and when I can figure out what I will ride for a few weeks while I get my F6B painted I'll show you what I mean.

I'll let you know how it goes. I've been doing some research, and it looks like Rust-oleum Ultra Cover, Gloss Clear (water based) is the recommended final clear coat finish. It can be sprayed, diluted with water and water cleanup.

I'm going to do a couple helmets first.

Scotrod
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Did I miss a step here? Is HOR just farming out the painting to a trike shop? If so, why not just cut out the middle man and negotiate
with the trike shop?

HOR does not have a paint booth or painters on site. The shop that does their Trike Conversions does their paint.

You are more than welcome to ask the trike shop for a price, but due to the sheer volume of business HOR does with them, It's doubtful you would get any better price 'direct' than through HOR. (The trike shop isn't going to take business away from it's #1 Customer,,,)

Even if we could have 10 're-paint' bikes at the trike shop over a period of 3 months,,, (which is doubtful, IMHO,) Eh,,, that isn't near enough volume to expect the trike shop to risk alienating HOR.

Scotrod
02-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I looked at a couple of HOR custom painted Wings at Wing Ding last summer (in their booth) and thought the paint jobs looked pretty bad.

My Illusion Blue paint job is not 'defect free',,,

Got a couple spots where it looked like they were in a hurry,,, Not bad enough for me to pitch a bitch, but not 'show-bike' quality by any means.

jkelley
02-05-2014, 06:17 AM
My Illusion Blue paint job is not 'defect free',,,

Got a couple spots where it looked like they were in a hurry,,, Not bad enough for me to pitch a bitch, but not 'show-bike' quality by any means.

You get what you pay for. A truly defect free paint job would be very expensive. All things considered I have seen very few defect free paint jobs done. Many look good but if you look closely you can always find something.
There are many variables, even a dust particle can stick out like a sore thumb. I had to paint my dash 4 times to get what I wanted and was about ready to trash it. buy another and leave it stock.
I once painted a Z-28 got all done and finishing up the hood and forgot to set the timer on the heaters in the booth. Went back in and a damn fly got in the door, walked down the hood ruining the paint job, took two days to redo it.

1951vbs
02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
I'll let you know how it goes. I've been doing some research, and it looks like Rust-oleum Ultra Cover, Gloss Clear (water based) is the recommended final clear coat finish. It can be sprayed, diluted with water and water cleanup.

I'm going to do a couple helmets first.

Elin,
It will be interesting to get your evaluation of the "water-based" clear as compared to a urethane clear. I worry that instead of having black paint that srcatches easy you with have clear coat that scatches easy.:shrug:

jkelley
02-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Elin,
It will be interesting to get your evaluation of the "water-based" clear as compared to a urethane clear. I worry that instead of having black paint that srcatches easy you with have clear coat that scatches easy.:shrug:

I too would be concerned, not so much with softness, but adhesion and clarity. Water based products have to have a catalyst to cure / harden.
Some use extremely toxic substances like aziridine to accomplish this. I would like to know what the Rust oleum products use. There could even be a possible issue with incompatibility? Best as you say to test on something else first then even try a scrap panel made from the same plastics.

Urethane and other poly type based products are proven and fairly solvent resistant which are very important in case of a spill when refueling or a splash that always seem to happen. These can also be applied over water based base coats.

mercator1
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Wonder if there is a paint code for the matte black stuff on the F6B already? I'd like the whole bike matte black with the smoked glasswork, and a set of the RUSH black pipes with tips.

Hey everyone,

I have been in contact with the folks at Honda of Russellville and need input from you guys and gals.

I am sure most of us are familiar with HOR's signature series paint, but not all of us had the option initially of buying from them, so we are discussing a possible new option:

Step 1: Choose a paint color.
Step 2: HOR paints a new complete set of Tupperware that color.
Step 3: Schedule a ride in to have HOR professionally swap all existing plastics for new same day, they would then keep the old plastics to offset costs. (I would imagine this could also be a mail swap though that defeats the instant and pro parts of the equation)

I feel like this would accomplish letting folks get new paint without the worry of wether or not the tear down and reassembly would be done right, and also get rid of the long downtime usually involved.

Thoughts?

GiddyupF6B
03-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Wonder if there is a paint code for the matte black stuff on the F6B already? I'd like the whole bike matte black with the smoked glasswork, and a set of the RUSH black pipes with tips.

Honda only has one flat black matte color. I am getting my entire F6 done in this color right now INCLUDING all the parts that were already black matte from the factory. The dealer wasn't sure if the parts would all match perfectly if I just did all the black gloss Tupperware so I went ahead and did all 82 parts Honda matte black with a matte clear. My question was if there was only one matte black from Honda wouldn't it all match anyway? There was an uncertainty so I just had them do it all. They are starting too put it back together tomorrow. Now I need to decide whether I want to keep my black chrome exhaust that color or have it powder coated.....time will tell. I have a brand new set of black chrome pipes still sitting in a box and a black chrome set on my bike already so if I go the powder coat route I will send the new set to get done so I have no more down time. Honda also has a matte dark gray which looks nice as well.

BuzzzPhotos
03-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Honda only has one flat black matte color. I am getting my entire F6 done in this color right now INCLUDING all the parts that were already black matte from the factory. The dealer wasn't sure if the parts would all match perfectly if I just did all the black gloss Tupperware so I went ahead and did all 82 parts Honda matte black with a matte clear. My question was if there was only one matte black from Honda wouldn't it all match anyway? There was an uncertainty so I just had them do it all. They are starting too put it back together tomorrow. Now I need to decide whether I want to keep my black chrome exhaust that color or have it powder coated.....time will tell. I have a brand new set of black chrome pipes still sitting in a box and a black chrome set on my bike already so if I go the powder coat route I will send the new set to get done so I have no more down time. Honda also has a matte dark gray which looks nice as well.

I'd be interested in the swap for a reasonable price & really like the matte black w/clear going on here. Are you going to share photos?
Thx, Buzz

mercator1
03-05-2014, 11:48 PM

There is a post on here of a bike wrapped in matte black vinyl, and it is probably not a 100% match, but with a flat black, you can't really tell like you would with another color in gloss. What did Honda use the matte dark gray on?

Victory had a blue ice color in 2008 that is my favorite, but I don't know how it would look with the black parts. The super steel gray from the same year would look great, though.44004401

mercator1
03-08-2014, 09:01 AM
There is a post on here of a bike wrapped in matte black vinyl, and it is probably not a 100% match, but with a flat black, you can't really tell like you would with another color in gloss. What did Honda use the matte dark gray on?

Victory had a blue ice color in 2008 that is my favorite, but I don't know how it would look with the black parts. The super steel gray from the same year would look great, though.44004401

Contacted HOR and asked about painting matte black. Said they would for $18885 as a signature series. I assume that's the usual HR signature series features (windshield, lenses, etc.).

Anyone know where you can get redline motorcycle tires?

XKnight
09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Bumping this thread to see if HOR ever provided a group price for painting our F6Bs? With the way my stock paint is going after only 3 months of ownership I would definitely consider driving to HOR in AR and have them swap my stock Tupperware with newly painted Tupperware if the price was right.

F6BPDX
09-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Bumping this thread to see if HOR ever provided a group price for painting our F6Bs? With the way my stock paint is going after only 3 months of ownership I would definitely consider driving to HOR in AR and have them swap my stock Tupperware with newly painted Tupperware if the price was right.

Never did get a price, they just sort of stopped replying to me after initially seeming interested. :shrug:

XKnight
09-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Never did get a price, they just sort of stopped replying to me after initially seeming interested. :shrug:

That's too bad since I think that as our F6Bs get older the need to repaint will get greater and there is money to be made for HOR or any other large dealer that can offer an in and out same day paint service. Most of us won't think twice about riding 1000+ miles over a couple days for something like this.

Injun Joe
09-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I remember back in my M109R days there was somebody offering an exchange of stock tins for painted ones on eBay. Of course you had to do the uninstall/reinstall yourself. Maybe someone will start a cottage industry just for us...

motozeke
09-27-2014, 10:45 AM
As they say on Shark Tank, 'I'm out'. My paint quality doesn't bother me THAT much.

Word. The best upgrade you can put on a bike, miles, will take its toll on any bike. I keep my bikes clean but I never obsess about appearance. Gets in the way of riding.

GONRDN
09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I have very shiny scratches and love my bike.