PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't wait for Spring

Darkknight
02-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Well I had had enough. I needed to ride yesterday and after not riding for 30 days, the ride was cool but wonderful. We went to the Barkhamstead Reservoir, in Barkhamstead Ct.
The reservoir is still frozen and the frozen water flows coming down the rock ledges on the side of the road were beautiful. I wish I had thought to stop and take a picture.
This was the first ride for my sweetheart with the new Ultimate seat I installed at Christmas. I remove the rider's backrest so she could sit in her normal position, snuggled up to my back. That was a problem with my last aftermarket seat. With the Ultimate, the backrest hardware is mounted low into the seat and she found no discomfort sitting basically on top of that area.
I also installed some Baker Hand Wings that were a Christmas present. They kept the cold air off my gloves and since they rotate, I can't wait to see how they draw cool air into the rider during the hot summer months.
All in all it was just what I needed. Today, once the fog burns off I'm going to try to get in another ride. It is supposed to snow again tomorrow.:icon_frown:

F6B-RICH
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
:congrats: on your day of riding.Way to much salt on the road in NJ for any riding .batman-smilie.

bubbaj1
02-02-2014, 08:20 PM
What driving lights are you running on your bike? ?

Darkknight
02-02-2014, 09:00 PM
The Stock LED are the lights.
I'll have to ask Miles if they make tire chains for our bikes.:icon_mrgreen: I ended up on a road that had more ice and snow than road. I did ask myself if a normal person would be riding in these conditions (on ice and snow):nono:. I did get some strange looks from cars exiting the snow filled park. The problem was that once I got on that stuff I needed to find a clear spot to pull a tight U turn. But no harm no foul.
3919 3920
The first picture was on the road to a state park. The second was at the boat launch where I was finally able to turn around. All of the other roads today were snow free and for the most part dry. I did wash and dry my baby before covering her up and putting her in the garage for a few days.
Yeah, I guess I'm not all there, but just getting some riding time seems to brighten my winter. It's supposed to snow tonight to who knows when I'll get out again. Did 130 miles this weekend. That will hold me for a little while.

Cool Hand Luke
02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Awesome pictures! We had snow last Wednesday here in SC. It lasted one day. Last time we had snow was about 8 years ago, I think. I'm more sissy than you, I waited for snow to melt to ride. I did ride yesterday in 45-50 degrees and rain for about three hours.

Anyway, here are the tires you need:

They are from Harley Street 750 for Ice Races at X Games. Apparently the riders made them by themselves. Here's what racing on ice on these new Harleys looks like:

motozeke
02-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks Darknight, we need more of this around here--riding pictures! I love seeing others' adventures. Will be having plenty of my own this year, starting with Death Valley next month.

Paul B Blues
02-03-2014, 05:28 AM
What fantastic pictures, and that's real snow!! I take my hat of to you, and I love your new seat. .snowremoval.'freezing-cold'

Scotrod
02-03-2014, 08:54 AM
I'll have to ask if they make tire chains for our bikes.

Not commercially, but car tire chains are easy enough to convert if need be. Converted one for the rear of my old 125 Suzuki.

Worked great!!! :yes:

F6B-RICH
02-03-2014, 09:45 AM
For me its simple Snow & F6B = :motorcycle2: :stretcher: 'RIP" I can wait til Spring .batman-smilie.

Deer Slayer
02-03-2014, 11:17 AM
We are holding off riding till the rain washes all the salt off the road into the streams and kills the fish. :yikes: It must be Obama money, I have never seen so much salt for a big frost! Come on Daytona, reads Key West! 'riding'

MichaelG
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I'll have to ask Miles if they make tire chains for our bikes.:icon_mrgreen:

Okay, since you asked...me, I shall answer your question. Motorcycle tire chains were made commercialy back in the good old days, from about 1905 to about 1982. It is obvious why tire chains were available back in the days of dirt roads, and...in some cases, no roads. More recently, in the 60's and up to the early '80's, tire chains were available for those that wanted adventure riding with their street bike, or to carry in case of situational snow.

There was a dealership in Renton, WA. that had a Suzuki 850 on the stand in the front window (Gene Meyer Suzuki/Triumph/BSA) that did have snow chains on the front and rear tires...as a display.

The biggest reasons that motorcycle tire chains are not commercially made today, is the availability of dual sport bikes, adventure bikes, and....because of closer tolerances of the rear wheel/tire to the swingarm, not allowing room for tire chains to clear the swingarm.

There is a 99.314159% chance that you would not be able to fit a tire chain to the rear tire of an F6B, due to clearances.

However....the better option, as has already been displayed earlier in this post, is to have studded tires.

I have done a LOT of riding ON snow...and if it is deep enough...IN snow. I used to host a ride up in Lake Tahoe that would guarantee the riders at least 50 miles in the "falling" snow. We did that for several years, and it was fun. And we did this on street bikes, with no tire chains.

In more modern riding, I choose to ride with studded tires, and in fact rode my '12 Yamaha Super Tenere' in December 2012 up to Prince George, B.C., where I and my fellow rider swapped out our two bikes, for a pair of BMW R1150GS w/sidecars...and each rig had all three tires that were studded, and we then rode up to Fairbanks, Alaska, and then up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, Alaska...in DECEMBER. It was cold....but with studded tires, we had fun.

Riding On or IN snow is not the problem. Snow actually provides good traction, especially if it is a dry, fluffy snow. The problems comes into play when you hit ICE. And Ice can be under the layer of snow, or black ice...or white ice. But ICE, is not a bikers' friend.