PDA

View Full Version : New definition of...Beating a Dead Horse

MichaelG
02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
According to the OED, they have very recently changed the definition of the phrase...Beating a Dead Horse. :icon_deadhorse:

They now define that phrase...Beating a Dead Horse :icon_deadhorse: to mean:

"A beating of the Denver Broncos professional football team by the Seattle Seahawks professional football team, by a score of more than 30+ points, in a game titled as the SuperBowl, to such a degree that the national media has dubbed this a blowout by one team over the other. When the Denver Broncos, a team representing the AFC as the best that this league has to offer, is beaten so badly by the opposing force...i.e., the Seattle Seahawks, a team representing the best that the NFC has to offer, this constitutes a change in the definition of the phrase, and shall henceforth be used as an example of the phrase...Beating a Dead Horse. :icon_deadhorse:"

BTW, just for edification, the OED offered this little tidbit of a scenario of a group of Seahawks eating away at a downed Bronco .beating.

For those that don't believe in watching a SuperBowl that you do not have a horse in that race (pun intended), the final score was....

Seattle Seahawks 43......and the Denver Broncos 8

:icon_mrgreen:

bobbyf6b
02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I have to admit I was wrong about Denver. They didn't even show up. Manning looked lost and confused through the entire game. It was really sad.

Congrats to the Seahawks!

What the hell is a Seahawk anyway? I've heard it's not a real animal.

Now that the season is over, GO CARDINALS!!! :icon_mrgreen:

MichaelG
02-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Congrats to the Seahawks!

What the hell is a Seahawk anyway? I've heard it's not a real animal.

Bobby, the Seahawk is in fact nickname of a real animal. Technically, it is an Osprey, and there are many varieties of Osprey.

Here is one link with much more info than a reasonable person would want to type here: http://10000birds.com/seahawk.htm

Now, to be clear, the person that posted just about everything on that linked website, states further down the page, that the chances of the Seattle Seahawks making it to the SuperBowl are slim to none, and the chances of them winning the SuperBowl are almost zero.

And, unfortunately he includes the Cardinals in that prognostication, because he says that teams named after a winged animal do very poorly in the SuperBowl.

Obviously, he is so wrong, it is laughable.

And, I think the Cardinals are a very good team. They are a better team than 75% of all the NFL teams. But because they are in the NFC West, they have to contend for playoff spots against both Seattle and San Francisco. If the 49ers had not gotten a Wild card spot, the Cardinals would have been in there as a Wild Card.

"coffee"

Deer Slayer
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Bobby, the Seahawk is in fact nickname of a real animal. Technically, it is an Osprey, and there are many varieties of Osprey.

Here is one link with much more info than a reasonable person would want to type here: http://10000birds.com/seahawk.htm

Now, to be clear, the person that posted just about everything on that linked website, states further down the page, that the chances of the Seattle Seahawks making it to the SuperBowl are slim to none, and the chances of them winning the SuperBowl are almost zero.

And, unfortunately he includes the Cardinals in that prognostication, because he says that teams named after a winged animal do very poorly in the SuperBowl.

And, I think the Cardinals are a very good team. They are a better team than 75% of all the NFL teams. But because they are in the NFC West, they have to contend for playoff spots against both Seattle and San Francisco. If the 49ers had not gotten a Wild card spot, the Cardinals would have been in there as a Wild Card.

"coffee"
Da Sea Chickens did a good job on Denver.:winnergold1:

bobbyf6b
02-03-2014, 01:37 PM

"coffee"

Good info, at least now I can tell people what it is.

People always ask, What is a Diamondback? It's a rattlesnake. That's why our mascot is a bobcat! :icon_doh:

I can explain that one if you care to know. I'm more of a baseball fan anyway.

F6Joe
02-03-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm a Seattle fan living in Seattle, the overall outcome was desired but I really wanted a GOOD and entertaining game which we did not get. Although the Hawks won ~ FOOTBALL FANS lost. Our playoff game with the 40 Whinners, no that was a game!

edgeman55
02-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm a Seattle fan living in Seattle, the overall outcome was desired but I really wanted a GOOD and entertaining game which we did not get. Although the Hawks won ~ FOOTBALL FANS lost. Our playoff game with the 40 Whinners, no that was a game!

Congrats to all you Seattle fans on your towns first Super Bowl win-They came to play and the outcome showed it.Now all you have to do is win 4 more Superbowls and you will tie the "40 Whinners" record!!!:039:

hiflyer
02-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Did you catch the look in Mannings eyes when that ball went flying over his head the first play? :yikes:

Steve 0080
02-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Totally embarrassing….. did you see Manning callin his Mama to come get him in the 1st quarter ???

hiflyer
02-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Just to set the record straight, I had absolutely nothing to do with the basketball team moving here to OKC!

Phantom
02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
That was a MAJOR spanking :spank: Congrats to the SeaHawks !

For me it was a terrible game, I would have preferred a nail-biter until the last 30 seconds.

Oh and I personally didn't care for the Coca-Cola commercial, this is the United States of America where English is our official language. I have no issues with immigrants seeking a better life legally in our country, but please learn ENGLISH, respect our laws, lifestyle, heritage, traditions and appreciate the sacrifices made by many fallen men to preserve what has made us the greatest country in the world.:icon_smflag: What was Coca-Cola thinking :icon_doh: ? This was not the United Nations Superbowl nor the Olympics :banghead:

:bf8: rant over

BuzzzPhotos
02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
According to the OED, they have very recently changed the definition of the phrase...Beating a Dead Horse. :icon_deadhorse:

They now define that phrase...Beating a Dead Horse :icon_deadhorse: to mean:

"A beating of the Denver Broncos professional football team by the Seattle Seahawks professional football team, by a score of more than 30+ points, in a game titled as the SuperBowl, to such a degree that the national media has dubbed this a blowout by one team over the other. When the Denver Broncos, a team representing the AFC as the best that this league has to offer, is beaten so badly by the opposing force...i.e., the Seattle Seahawks, a team representing the best that the NFC has to offer, this constitutes a change in the definition of the phrase, and shall henceforth be used as an example of the phrase...Beating a Dead Horse. :icon_deadhorse:"

BTW, just for edification, the OED offered this little tidbit of a scenario of a group of Seahawks eating away at a downed Bronco .beating.

For those that don't believe in watching a SuperBowl that you do not have a horse in that race (pun intended), the final score was....

Seattle Seahawks 43......and the Denver Broncos 8

:icon_mrgreen:

I'd have lost a lot of money on Denver if someone would have taken the bet. Beating was so bad I started feeling sad for Denver. Denver & Cowboys was the best game of the season (my opinion).

av8rdave
02-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I thought it was a great ad. I like that the many cultures that make up this wonderful country celebrate it. Most of our heritage, traditions and culture are rooted in other cultures that came here. I believe that's one of the things that makes us the greatest country on Earth.

Not to nitpick, but the United States actually has no official language.

I am in total agreement that the SB was a complete blowout. I still found it fascinating. Seattle's defense did a masterful job of completely disrupting the Bronco offense. I can only hope that the Cowboys hire whoever did the game tape analysis for them.

I have a feeling that the Seahawks could be a force to be reckoned with for some time. Congrats to the team and their fans.

Phantom
02-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I like that the many cultures that make up this wonderful country celebrate it. Most of our heritage, traditions and culture are rooted in other cultures that came here. I believe that's one of the things that makes us the greatest country on Earth.

So do I and I agree with your statement, my parents waited almost 5 years to receive permission, they came to this great land long ago legally, learned English, accepted and embraced this country as is, never did they impose their beliefs or customs down anyone else's throat. Coca-Cola just did and that was just wrong.

By the way, I own a Business where I conduct International Business and I also speak 4 languages. There are proper places for everything, the Super Bowl is an American tradition, I didn't here the referees explain their calls in multiple languages.

One of my business partners happens to be a retired Coca-Cola Vice President and he agrees with my stance. We can agree to disagree, but I love this country toooo much to see it go down the drain like it has been.

Retired Army
02-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Now you know why Indy fired Manning