PDA

View Full Version : BIG Props To SuperBrace

F6B-RICH
02-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I purchased a SuperBrace from Wingstuff.When I was installing the dust/fork covers I dropped one and when I stepped back crush :icon_doh: I stepped on it.
I called SuperBrace on Monday and a Scott picked up and I told him the story and he just laughed.When I offered to buy a new cover Scott said email me your address I will send them
out to you FREE.Well I got them today from CA to me in NJ.I just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to SuperBrace for great service and a great product .batman-smilie.

bobbyf6b
02-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Awesome! :biggthumpup:

BuzzzPhotos
02-06-2014, 11:15 PM
That's great service for a well made product. :041:

Wmorgan2k
02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Great customer service. Question is the brace really worth it? Can you tell the difference in handling? I've been thinking about it, this is my 3rd wing I didn't do it on my other ones because I never really had any issues with handling or wobble or anything like that. Curious to hear some reviews from those that have it on there F6B's

F6B-RICH
02-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Great customer service. Question is the brace really worth it? Can you tell the difference in handling? I've been thinking about it, this is my 3rd wing I didn't do it on my other ones because I never really had any issues with handling or wobble or anything like that. Curious to hear some reviews from those that have it on there F6B's

Sorry no test ride for a few more weeks.Bike is all apart for Winter mods.Some people said they noticed a difference with handling and some said they felt no difference :shrug: I
will have to wait and see for myself .batman-smilie.

Steve 0080
02-07-2014, 12:10 AM
No question Wing Stuff is a first class operation run by first class people....my question is how/why did the brace break "just" by being stepped on unless you are a over sized person or just a freak accident ???

I use the Kuryakan unit and believe it does stiffen up the front forks especially at slow speeds, and is worth the money !!! "fireybat"

F6B-RICH
02-07-2014, 12:23 AM
No question Wing Stuff is a first class operation run by first class people....my question is how/why did the brace break "just" by being stepped on unless you are a over sized person or just a freak accident ???

I use the Kuryakan unit and believe it does stiffen up the front forks especially at slow speeds, and is worth the money !!! "fireybat"

Steve you have to attach 2 dust/fork covers on the SuperBrace.I dropped just 1 of the covers not the brace and when I stepped back it was under my foot .batman-smilie.

MichaelG
02-07-2014, 01:23 AM
For those that asked the question about whether a fork brace helps or not.........

I used to use a fork brace on a lot of my bikes back in "the" days, like my 3 Honda ST-1100s, my 2 Honda GL-1500s, etc, etc. And I even used one on my first 2 GL-1800s, but not on the 3rd one. On all those bikes, I always went with the Superbrace brand. Good quality product, and as we already know...it is sold through WingStuff.

On this F6B, after the first 20,000 miles, I decided to add the Kuryakyn fork brace, also sold through WingStuff, and I am quite pleased with the difference it makes. The most noticeable changes are at slow speed parking lot manuevers, and at very high speed radical curves in the twisties. Really holds the front forks in a tighter line, with less flex of the forks.

As usual, to each his or her own, and...YMMV, but I like this product. If you want to avoid dropping one of the dust shields :shock:....get a Kuryakyn brand one, like Steve and I have done, as the dust shields are built in to the brace. And it is powder-coated a very high gloss black. :yes:

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=fork+brace

"coffee"

Cruiser
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
I just completed an installation video for SuperBrace which should now appear on their website. It is super easy to install yourself in under 15 minutes. A local F6B rider brought his bike by to let me do the install and he emailed me when he got home to tell me how much better his bike handled after the SuperBrace was installed.

Cruiser
02-07-2014, 08:34 AM

I can tell you that on my 2012 Goldwing the SuperBrace does make a difference, especially in low-speed handling. Like, when you need to make a tight u-turn. The front end feels much more planted and stable. A SuperBrace is the least expensive thing you can do to firm up the front end of your bike.

F6B-RICH
02-07-2014, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=Miles;20953]As usual, to each his or her own, and...YMMV, but I like this product. If you want to avoid dropping one of the dust shields :shock:....get a Kuryakyn brand one, like Steve and I have done, as the dust shields are built in to the brace. And it is powder-coated a very high gloss black. :yes:

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=fork+brace

Miles I like that you can remove all 4 dust shields on the SuperBrace.I think on most bikes (not the F6B) the brace looks better on the bike without the dust shields installed .batman-smilie.

Cruiser
02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I would like to address the dust shield issue. While I agree that appearance without the shields might be better, it only takes a small piece of gravel or a rock to hit the fork tubes to cause a tiny nick in the tube surface. This can cause an almost microscopic rough edge that can cause premature failure of the fork seals. Those fork protectors from Honda are there for a reason and it is not for "dust", it is to prevent damage to the fork tubes.

Steve 0080
02-07-2014, 09:40 AM
+1...................

Texas TC
02-07-2014, 09:45 AM
The SuperBrace was one of my first mods. Great product that works as others have posted. Install it and enjoy the ride.

F6B-RICH
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM
I would like to address the dust shield issue. While I agree that appearance without the shields might be better, it only takes a small piece of gravel or a rock to hit the fork tubes to cause a tiny nick in the tube surface. This can cause an almost microscopic rough edge that can cause premature failure of the fork seals. Those fork protectors from Honda are there for a reason and it is not for "dust", it is to prevent damage to the fork tubes.

I agree 100% but I just find it odd that so many motorcycles (even ones more money then the F6B) have the fork tubes exposed :shrug: .batman-smilie.

Cruiser
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I agree 100% but I just find it odd that so many motorcycles (even ones more money then the F6B) have the fork tubes exposed :shrug: .batman-smilie.

Fork tube protectors are ubiquitous on off-road bikes because the likelihood of rock chips. Some road bikes let it slide, but replacing a damaged fork tube is an expensive proposition. Look at the front of a Goldwing after 50,000 miles and you will likely see chips in the front fairing, fender, etc. Whatever caused the paint chips can also potentially damage a fork tube.

MichaelG
02-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Rich, I think that another thing to think about is....that a lot of those other bikes, especially the higher priced ones, are more into styling, and having the front forks be shown, than they are into practical science, and the longevity of the bike. Bikes like a Wing, and an ST1300 and an FJR1300, and most BMWs are more into the practical function and longevity of the bike, than they are into pure styling.

"coffee"

Hornblower
02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
I have a little different take on this...if you consider the length of the upper "dust" protector, you can see that it doesn't nearly cover or protect the fork tube over it's complete travel length. At a casual glance, it looks like you're protecting maybe half of the tube against damage from rocks and other flying debris. In addition, the probability of damage to the tubes from said debris is, no doubt, very remote. Still, there is some protection there and that's a good thing. My guess is that Honda added those more for looks than for any real protection but perhaps it serves both purposes to some degree. Personally, I don't mind the look and the covers will remain attached to my brace.

Phantom
02-07-2014, 11:51 AM
:icon_cool:

This is from my observations .....

1. The entire exposed fork tube does NOT pass through the seal, the marks on my Goldwing show that the most my tubes have ever compressed was ONLY 2 inches.

2. The Honda shields rise and protect 1.5 inches of the exposed tube that enters the bottom half.

3. In order for a rock to leave a permanent mark on your tube, you must be traveling at a higher rate of speed.

4. Traveling at a high rate of speed, the Honda deflectors (just like a windshield) will probably create an additional 1/2 inch air deflection-buffer zone above them, hence protecting the exposed 2 inches that actually goes through the seals and inside the bottom half.
If you have ever been riding on the interstate and been caught in the rain with a full face helmet, those rain drops sting part of your lower neck. Similar theory.

5. Honda ENGINEERS designed them to that spec for a reason.

6. It's a HONDA and it's designed so that it gives you the LEAST amount of maintenance. You can compliment it with improvements but I would personally not remove those particular shields.

Just my 2 cents.

F6B-RICH
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Thats why I am on this forum to learn.This is my first wing.I am not that young but younger then most on this site.The things I am learning from the older guys :icon_biggrin: is helping alot .batman-smilie.

Phantom
02-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Thats why I am on this forum to learn.This is my first wing.I am not that young but younger then most on this site.The things I am learning from the older guys :icon_biggrin: is helping alot .batman-smilie.

Rich, you hit the nail on the head :icon_cool::yes:

I learn something every day, the vast amount of knowledge and experience that members have is priceless. I read of riders and their problems and then their solutions, I take notes for if I ever have the same issues I will be grateful to those that have shared their experiences with all of us. I am in my 40's (still a pupil of life) but been accused many times of acting 25 when having fun :shrug: doesn't make me a bad person :icon_mrgreen:

LET'S RIDE 'riding'

Hornblower
02-07-2014, 12:33 PM
As usual, Phantom makes some interesting and thoughtful observations which should be considered in this conversation. My point simply relates to the facts which are the upper dust shields are approximately 1.5" in length and GW fork travel is listed at 4.8". You do the math. :cheers: BTW, the rock that almost killed me years ago came from the opposite direction. It was apparently thrown from someone on a bridge and missed my head by an inch or so :yikes:.

Phantom
02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
As usual, Phantom makes some interesting and thoughtful observations which should be considered in this conversation. My point simply relates to the facts which are the upper dust shields are approximately 1.5" in length and GW fork travel is listed at 4.8". You do the math. :cheers: BTW, the rock that almost killed me years ago came from the opposite direction. It was apparently thrown from someone on a bridge and missed my head by an inch or so :yikes:.

Ken, Thank you for the great info :icon_biggrin::yes: . This throws my theory out the door.

As I stated earlier just sharing from my personal experience. I have never had my forks dive that far, been fortunate to not hit a pothole that deep or needed to apply my brakes so hard on my wing that it would cause a maximum dive of the forks. You could say that I ride my Goldwing like a grandma :icon_mrgreen: When I really want to push things, that's where my 3 wheel crotch rocket comes in handy 'angel' .

As for the rock, wow! very lucky

Cruiser
02-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Does the Goldwing really have 4.8" of travel after you sit on it? I think mine compress about 2" before I ever start riding.

Scotrod
02-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Does the Goldwing really have 4.8" of travel after you sit on it? I think mine compress about 2" before I ever start riding.

Mine sinks 2 inches just after it sees me coming!!! :yikes:

Hornblower
02-07-2014, 03:44 PM

No...as I read it, the 4.8" is the advertised fork travel. Of course, once you mount the bike, some of that travel is taken up (rider sag and all that). I have a Traxxion Dynamics setup so I don't lose 2" just by sitting on it but I do lose some as you would expect. I think I see where you're going with this question and you're right about there being less fork tube exposure with the forks depressed. For me, I think it pretty much gets us back to hopefully agreeing that the odds of fork tube damage are small but there is some protection afforded by the shields. So, in summary, Superbrace-GOOD, Superbrace Shields--ALSO GOOD.

Hornblower
02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Ken, Thank you for the great info :icon_biggrin::yes: . This throws my theory out the door.

As I stated earlier just sharing from my personal experience. I have never had my forks dive that far, been fortunate to not hit a pothole that deep or needed to apply my brakes so hard on my wing that it would cause a maximum dive of the forks. You could say that I ride my Goldwing like a grandma :icon_mrgreen: When I really want to push things, that's where my 3 wheel crotch rocket comes in handy 'angel' .

As for the rock, wow! very lucky

No, Phantom, I don't think it throws your theory out the door at all. I was just pointing out that there are other possible ways to have an object coming at you at high speed. And yes, I was very lucky. I've got to stop using up all my "cat" lives :yikes:

MichaelG
02-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I was just pointing out that there are other possible ways to have an object coming at you at high speed.

Ken, you said a mouthful with that...as I know all too well about having an object (lightning) coming at you at high speed:yikes:

I did just go out and measure the fork travel on my bike, with me seated on it, and it came to.....3.14159" of travel (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha) :duck:

"coffee"

Ultimately, what Rich was really pointing out is....he received excellent customer service from Superbrace, and that goes a long way for all of us.

motozeke
02-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Just ordered the Superbrace from Wingstuff. It's now on the long list of mods that I need to do when I get some garage time. Luggage rack, fuse plate, 2 port USB in the left cubby, USB power to the handlebars for GPS, radar detector, Powerlet cord for heated liner, Hand Wings, SAE plug for Cycle Pump, side stand pad... whew, did I miss anything? :ebay:

MichaelG
02-07-2014, 09:44 PM
whew, did I miss anything? :ebay:

Yes, please contact Steve0080 for a complete list of all required accessories that need to be installed on your F6B. :039:

Cruiser
02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Just ordered the Superbrace from Wingstuff. It's now on the long list of mods that I need to do when I get some garage time. Luggage rack, fuse plate, 2 port USB in the left cubby, USB power to the handlebars for GPS, radar detector, Powerlet cord for heated liner, Hand Wings, SAE plug for Cycle Pump, side stand pad... whew, did I miss anything? :ebay:

When it comes time for a luggage rack, check out the AMA model. It comes from the same people that make SuperBrace. And, there's an excellent installation video online for the AMA rack. It has the best chrome of any luggage rack I have seen, and it is very nice looking.

Hornblower
02-08-2014, 08:51 AM
When it comes time for a luggage rack, check out the AMA model. It comes from the same people that make SuperBrace. And, there's an excellent installation video online for the AMA rack. It has the best chrome of any luggage rack I have seen, and it is very nice looking.

Cruiseman--I watched your install video of this product on the trunk of a full-Goldwing. Great job on the video, as usual :clap2:. Are you suggesting this rack will fit on the rear of the F6B also? It's not clear to me how that would work :shrug:.

Cruiser
02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Cruiseman--I watched your install video of this product on the trunk of a full-Goldwing. Great job on the video, as usual :clap2:. Are you suggesting this rack will fit on the rear of the F6B also? It's not clear to me how that would work :shrug:.

No, I should have pointed that out in my post. I had a brain-f*** and forgot I was on the F6B forum! I am going to ask them if they plan on coming out with a rack for the F6B.

MichaelG
02-08-2014, 11:12 AM
No, I should have pointed that out in my post. I had a brain-f*** and forgot I was on the F6B forum! I am going to ask them if they plan on coming out with a rack for the F6B.

Cruiseman, it is okay to say the word...brain-fart...on this forum, as we are not as thin-skinned sensitive to things like that as other forums appear to be, and...I have brain-farts all the time, but only since being struck by lightning. Honestly....going in for an MRI on my brain tomorrow...and that is not a joke.
:icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::i con_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::ico n_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_frown::icon_ frown: