PDA

View Full Version : Getting bike off center stand

opas ride
02-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Along with Stepbill's earlier question about backing up the F6B, I am asking those who are about my size, 5'9" and 195lbs, what is the best way to get the bike off the center stand?..I had my son put it up last fall and am wondering if I can get it down myself...Ride it off works for some, I think, others just rock it off holding the bars and seat rails....Any clues for this "old fart" would be most helpful as I do not want to have the thing fall over when getting it off the center stand....Thanks

Scotrod
02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Mount your steed, grab it by the handlebars, and ride it kinda like a hobby horse,,,:2gwb921:

I can't really reach the ground with both feet while its on the center stand, so I'm sure I look a little goofy flailing around, but I get the job done! LOL!

Keep the front brake handy so once it starts to go 'over' (forward) you can feather it a bit.

Big Jay
02-08-2014, 12:32 PM
You can do it the wrong way Like I did about a half hour ago, I backed my quad in to the bike while backing into the garage to make another pass plowing snow. Not paying attention. went right over off the center stand,:banghead: not to hard to pick up though. did more damage where the quad hit it than where it hit the ground. :icon_doh::banghead::icon_doh::banghead::banghead: cracked and scratched the black plastic panel that covers the left rad. :suicide2: sorry not trying to jack the thread just venting.

unsub
02-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Along with Stepbill's earlier question about backing up the F6B, I am asking those who are about my size, 5'9" and 195lbs, what is the best way to get the bike off the center stand?.....Thanks

Just mount the bike, both hands on the bars, and with a gentle rock back then forward it rolls off easily. SO easily that it almost feels that it was ready to roll forward on it's own. Personally I would avoid trying to rock it off while not on the bike unless it can't be avoided.

MichaelG
02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
All good suggestions thus far. Here is an important tip: Do NOT leave your sidestand down/deployed when the bike is on the centerstand. Once you roll the bike up onto the centerstand...immediately fold the sidestand UP. The reason for this is so that when you do roll the bike forward to get it OFF the centerstand, the bike does not slam down onto the sidestand, and POGO up and over to the right side, and fall over.

No, this has never happened to me, but I have seen countless numbers of people that have experienced this. Either use the sidestand (with a Rivco sidestand pad),http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=38&cat=356&page=2 or use the centerstand. One or the other, but not both.

I can assure you that if you are sitting on the bike, and rocking it forward to roll off the centerstand, that "IF" your sidestand is down, the bike will slam down onto the sidestand, and pogo over onto the right side.

Not a good thing. :icon_frown:

Philbert40
02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
I apologize up front.....but if you need this level of advice, maybe a trike should be in your future.:yikes:

Richie
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Would it not be safer and simpler to just stand next to the bike, hold the bar and the seat rail and just rock the bike off the stand?

Richie

Cruiser
02-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I always take mine off the stand while sitting on it and rocking it forward.

GiddyupF6B
02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Have the front brake lever in hand so you can stop the momentum the second it is off the center stand in case anything is directly in front of you.

opas ride
02-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Philbert 40...In all due respect how old are you??..I am perfectly capable of getting the bike off the centerstand, I was just looking for possibly a few tricks that make it easier...I am physically in great shape for my age and a trike is not for me at all...When I get to that point I will not ride and buy a hot rod car of sorts....Just my personal feelings and no apology is needed. I currently ride with a couple guys that have trikes and I just do not care for them....Too each his own as they say......

d-shark
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSKOI259GI

MichaelG
02-08-2014, 01:59 PM
d-shark, thank you for posting the above video, as it is a prime example of how NOT to put a bike on or off the centerstand. I watched both of his videos, of the GL-1200, and the GL-1500, and in both videos this guy did it wrong. Rather than getting into a pizzing contest with the guy in the video, and taking up a lot of bandwidth about all his wrong doings, let's just say...to each his own, and if he wants to instruct people to do it that way, that is his business.
I will just say that as someone that knows a LOT about anatomy and physiology, you will most likely hurt your back doing it the way he instructs you to do it, and...as someone that has ridden more miles than I am politely allowed to state on this forum :icon_wink:, I have had more than my share of times I have hoisted a bike up onto the centerstand. Therefore, I believe I have some experience in this matter. :icon_biggrin:

However, I could be wrong. :shock: This guy in the video may have spent the past 43 years doing nothing more than putting his bikes on the centerstand, and back off the centerstand, and never actually riding them, so if you take that into consideration, he may have done this 1,000,000 more times than I have...while I was out riding.:shhh:

unsub
02-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Would it not be safer and simpler to just stand next to the bike, hold the bar and the seat rail and just rock the bike off the stand?

Richie

Hi Richie, i would think no for a bike this size and weight. Short answer: You maintain the most control with the least amount of effort over the bike and procedure as posted by the experienced riders.

Deer Slayer
02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Richie, i would think no for a bike this size and weight. Short answer: You maintain the most control with the least amount of effort over the bike and procedure as posted by the experienced riders.

I have never moved my Goldwing off center stand with out being on it. I have two back operations and no way could I stop it from going over. I put it on my lift table under power. :301: :cheers:

Deer Slayer
02-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Having a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the rear tyre at its parking place gives one a head start on placing your F6B on the centre stand. see older post on subject. :cheers:

Deer Slayer
02-08-2014, 03:33 PM
d-shark, thank you for posting the above video, as it is a prime example of how NOT to put a bike on or off the centerstand. I watched both of his videos, of the GL-1200, and the GL-1500, and in both videos this guy did it wrong. Rather than getting into a pizzing contest with the guy in the video, and taking up a lot of bandwidth about all his wrong doings, let's just say...to each his own, and if he wants to instruct people to do it that way, that is his business.
I will just say that as someone that knows a LOT about anatomy and physiology, you will most likely hurt your back doing it the way he instructs you to do it, and...as someone that has ridden more miles than I am politely allowed to state on this forum :icon_wink:, I have had more than my share of times I have hoisted a bike up onto the centerstand. Therefore, I believe I have some experience in this matter. :icon_biggrin:

However, I could be wrong. :shock: This guy in the video may have spent the past 43 years doing nothing more than putting his bikes on the centerstand, and back off the centerstand, and never actually riding them, so if you take that into consideration, he may have done this 1,000,000 more times than I have...while I was out riding.:shhh:

Miles now if he had a briefcase and power point that makes him an expert. Ha... :shock: :cheers:

Richie
02-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks so much for your input. I will try it your way for sure. So many riders can't be wrong.

Richie