PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a GPS?

hiflyer
02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't, but curious to know how many do and why.

MichaelG
02-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, a Garmin Zumo 550. (please do not ask Steve which one he uses, as his GPS is....mis-leading...:icon_lol:

kjelders
02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I do. I have a Garmin 660. I use it to find fuel stops, local attractions, and for miles and time between my way points.

Westernbiker
02-10-2014, 11:02 AM
When I travel, yes, I use a GPS BUT! I also have a map of every state that I am visiting and I consult the map along with using the GPS. :icon_mrgreen:

F6B-RICH
02-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes :yes: I sometimes lead group rides.It is easier to know where you are going without making u-turns all the time .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
02-10-2014, 11:08 AM
No. What little traveling I do is pre-planned.
I have previously mounted a GPS to my bike and didn't use it for much than telling me what the speed limit was. :shrug:

Hornblower
02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Zumo 665 for me with BT connectivity to my Galaxy S4. I'm pretty well spoiled by it :icon_biggrin:.

motozeke
02-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Yes, of course, when traveling to parts unfamiliar. Safer than taping a map to your tank, which is what I used to do.

Texas TC
02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I use a Garmin Nuvi but rarely for directions. I usually keep it on the information screen telling me miles I have been and how far to my destination. I also like to see average speed moving and over all. It is a good record keeper for a road trip.

opas ride
02-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Not for me on the bike....Too many distractions now with "dumb ass" drivers looking at their car GPS, talking on cell phones or texting while driving......It is good for some, but not this guy....Regards....

Deer Slayer
02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Not for me on the bike....Too many distractions now with "dumb ass" drivers looking at their car GPS, talking on cell phones or texting while driving......It is good for some, but not this guy....Regards....

Amen on your post. I am GPS Challenged. That is what maps and the sun is for. I don't need no stinking GPS at night, that's what drinking is designed for. Can I get an Amen brothers and sisters? :301: :cheers:

Deer Slayer
02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
GPS will not indicate DEER!happygirl

unsub
02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
GPS will not indicate DEER!happygirl

True, but you could mark the areas that deer or other road hazards are spotted"whatdidImiss" with a coordinate indicating such. Either to share with others or future reference.

db24
02-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Just installed a new Zumo 665 LM. I bought this model because it has XM radio, weather radar and bluetooth connection with iPhone.

By the way, what's a paper map? Is that like a typewriter or a rotary telephone with a cord?

4DI2D
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Use deer whistles and avoid having to mark the places of your near misses, or impacts!

Cool Hand Luke
02-10-2014, 01:52 PM
By the way, what's a paper map? Is that like a typewriter or a rotary telephone with a cord?

Funny. It reminds me of a joke where a grandfather asks his granddaughter for a newspaper. She replies 'Grandpa, this is 21 Century, we don't use paper anymore! Here, use my Ipad!'
The fly never knew what hit her.

I've been using GPS for long time and I love it. I'm used to it and don't find it distracting as I only look at it when there's nobody around. I glance at the screen fast, kind of like glancing at your rear view mirrors. I don't play with it too much while riding.

I have found many a great twisty two lane road this way. To me a good GPS is invaluable on a road trip. I use Garmin 4.2" Nuvi right now, but I am looking into possibly getting a GPSMAP620 or even Colorado. To me it is important to have high resolution so I can see as many local roads on it as possible. Roads I ride are not crowded, in fact they're fairly small and spread out. No use for highways much. I prefer two lane roads of SC, GA, Western NC and FL.

Sometimes I program it to avoid highways, unpaved roads, u turns and for the shortest distance. This usually yields fun two lane roads.

Steve 0080
02-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I actually prefer using a GPS to find my way home once I am thru riding..not so much to light the way…kinda takes the fun out of it..

It is a good thing I am thick shinned about the GPS jokes…I kinda remember almost begging people to bring one, lead a ride , or plan one……………….. not one reply

FlaMike
02-10-2014, 08:43 PM
When I travel, yes, I use a GPS BUT! I also have a map of every state that I am visiting and I consult the map along with using the GPS. :icon_mrgreen:

Yep, What he said. I have an ancient Garmin 2610 that refuses to die. It does the job.

I always have a good idea of the roads I want to use on a road trip and rarely use it to determine my route.

That being said, my gps has taken me on great roads in my own state that I wouldn't have ridden.

Hornblower
02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I actually prefer using a GPS to find my way home once I am thru riding..not so much to light the way…kinda takes the fun out of it..

It is a good thing I am thick shinned about the GPS jokes…I kinda remember almost begging people to bring one, lead a ride , or plan one……………….. not one reply

You're so right, Steve! After seeing what happened to you leading the way with GPS, I have no interest in attempting that. I do occassionally lead my local group and hear all the complaints when I lead everyone through a small town with several stop lights just because I have my GPS set to "shortest distance". It's a thankless job, for sure :icon_redface:.

Deer Slayer
02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Use deer whistles and avoid having to mark the places of your near misses, or impacts!

Put the deer whistles on backwards so to have the deer run AWAY! :woohoo:

Deer Slayer
02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Just installed a new Zumo 665 LM. I bought this model because it has XM radio, weather radar and bluetooth connection with iPhone.

Paper map is used to start a signal fire after the GPS gets you lost. Ha... :cheers:

hunter1948
02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I use a GPS when traveling in an area that's new to me or when I'm leading a group. I've used a GPS in the past to know my speed but my F6B speedo is correct. This is my eighth MC and the first with an accurate speedometer.

NCF6B
02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Have used a GPS for several years. Mine is a Garmin 450. no voice. Really helps on long trips. Also agree with Steve. Sometimes down here in the back country it helps to find my way home after a long ride.