PDA

View Full Version : Am I obsessing over the quality of the paint?

stepbill
02-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I am going to buy the F6B but I keep obsessing about the paint issue. I've thought about trying to have it repainted and clear coated when I buy it, before I bring it home or even travel out to Russellville, Arkansas to get one of the signature series bikes. Both ways is additional money that I could spend on accessories! Is the basic paint something that can be lived with or is the bike going to have to be repainted in a couple of years anway? What is your opinion and what would you do? If I did go basic, I would either go with the 2014 yellow or the 2013 red/black. Appreciate your help with this!!!!

GiddyupF6B
02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I am going to buy the F6B but I keep obsessing about the paint issue. I've thought about trying to have it repainted and clear coated when I buy it, before I bring it home or even travel out to Russellville, Arkansas to get one of the signature series bikes. Both ways is additional money that I could spend on accessories! Is the basic paint something that can be lived with or is the bike going to have to be repainted in a couple of years anway? What is your opinion and what would you do? If I did go basic, I would either go with the 2014 yellow or the 2013 red/black. Appreciate your help with this!!!!

For me personally the paint was not something I could live with. I have a black one and when I got it home from the dealer the paint was covered in swirl marks and fine scratches that I didn't see when I picked it up. You will get different replies on this question, some are fine with swirl marks and inferior paint and will say just ride the thing. For me I need my machine to look as good as it functions, I am a perfectionist and it just needs be right. I enjoy looking at my machines as much as I enjoy riding them. If any little thing is is out of place my eye is instantly drawn to it and I can't rest until it's right. This is why with 3,000 miles on my 6 month old bike it is in the paint booth now. To each thy own, this is just how I am with my bikes and always have been.

MichaelG
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
stepbill, this question opens a can or worms that has been discussed adnaseum before this. Giddyup said it all fairly well, but I think the KEY point here is that you have already pointed out that "if" you do chose a Honda painted bike...it will either be the 2014 Yellow, or a 2013 Red. That is good, as it leaves you LESS velnerable to having bad paint. The vast majority of those that do complain about the bad paint...have Black bikes. Myself included.

I have a strong feeling that the 2014 Yellow F6B is going to have better paint, and is MUCH less likely to show the swirls and streaks that the Black and Red bikes show. Simply because of the lightness of the Yellow color.

As you have already stated, the other option is to take the very short ride over to Russellville, and buy a Signature bike from them.

Given how much a 2014 Yellow bike is going to cost you in North Carolina...I would be willing to bet...that a 2013 Signature Series bike from Honda of Russellville will actually be LESS money.

http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/other_vehicle_inventory.asp

Check on that, and be pleasantly surprised.

"coffee"

Scotrod
02-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Even though I see no 'un-survivable/un-addressable' issue with the paint, I'd rather just say 'DON'T BUY ONE!!!!' if it means we could avoid having yet another 'paint problem' thread! :icon_biggrin:

opas ride
02-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I still kind of think this "paint issue" is out of control...Some have concerns, some don't...I am not trying to be a jerk, so to speak, but Honda feels all is okay with the paint or they would have responded by now I would think...If you don't want to take the chance or pay to have it painted, like said above, Don't buy one !!..A "lousy" solution, I know, but what are the other options???

chipmaker
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I wanted the black one at my dealership, but it was scratched and swirled too much so I bought a red one, somewhat less crappy paint. If I was closer to Arkansa I would have bought one of the custom painted bikes. Definitely inspect before you buy.

Wow, how many times is Opas gonna write the same stupid shit? If you have to say your not trying to be a jerk, you are!!!!

Texas TC
02-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I would hate to see anyone shy away from this great motorcycle because of vanity. As Dr. Miles said, Red and probably Yellow are not as big of a problem as Black. I don't plan on my motorcycle being a show bike so a minor swirl or scratch here or there just adds character to a well used machine. So, buy a painted one, have one painted, or, like most of us, buy it ride it and enjoy probably the best motorcycle you have ever owned. JMHO.

F6B-RICH
02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
I really DO NOT have a paint problem.Yes I have swirl marks from my over cleaning certain areas of the bike but so did my black Harley Fatboy.I am getting my front cowl and fender Hydro-dipped (carbon fiber)but that is because thats where all the bugs and dirt hit and sit on my bike and thats where I have a paint issue in those 2 areas from the over cleaning those areas after each ride .batman-smilie.

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-10-2014, 04:51 PM
buy it wax it clear coat it and ride it, see where your paint is Before not after the warranty. Runs out.
As stated, likely be the best bike you'll own.
Plenty documented complaints already filed.
JMO

FlyinF
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Use the paint issue to your advantage............go to the dealer find the bike you like, look at the paint very closely and if it looks messed up show them and they may adjust the price accordingly. I have a black one and like the paint, I don't sit in the garage and stare at it I ride it.

edgeman55
02-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Wow, how many times is Opas gonna write the same stupid shit? If you have to say your not trying to be a jerk, you are!!!![/QUOTE]

Really no need for this kind of stuff.Man has the right to his opionion.If you don't like what he has to say just disregard his comments.As far as my thoughts on the paint my black sucks.If I want to keep it nice I have to always take the polish to it.Everyone has there on feelings on what they expect from a 20K bike and mine are this is the worst paint job on anything I have every owned.Plus Honda is and I feel won't do a thing about it.If I had to do it over I would check out the custom paint ones from Russelville-Seems most people who have bought those have been pretty happy.Mine will be in a paint booth in a year or two.

unsub
02-10-2014, 09:11 PM
@stepbill

I'd buy another all over again paint complaints or not.

My take is this: Poor paint quality on a metal surface would cause me great concern, simply because that can lead to other issues with the metal, like oxidization. On plastic it's only esthetic and easily fixed if so desired. The structural integrity and the performance of the bike is in no way compromised. These bikes are engineered and built extremely well.

edit to add: I would point you to a high end European brand name with a spinning propeller logo. Ask the rider on one of those bikes when his signals seize up, his ignition controller fails, or or heater switches fail over and over again and they're spending a chunk of riding season in the shop trying to get the reluctant dealer to cooperate on warranty repair. That rider would trade for a simple paint issue any day.:icon_wink:

MichaelG
02-10-2014, 11:13 PM
edit to add: I would point you to a high end European brand name with a spinning propeller logo. Ask the rider on one of those bikes when his signals seize up, his ignition controller fails, or or heater switches fail over and over again and they're spending a chunk of riding season in the shop trying to get the reluctant dealer to cooperate on warranty repair. That rider would trade for a simple paint issue any day.:icon_wink:

Or worse yet...on that same spinning propeller logo brand...is when your final drive unit fails on you....5 miles before the start hotel for the IronButt Rally, or.....5 miles "after" the start of the IronButt Rally. Prepared for 2 years in advance to ride an 11 day...11,000 mile Rally, and the final drive blows up within 5 miles of the hotel. Didn't hapen to me, but I know of a few riders this has happened to.

Mechanically, there is NO better made motorcycle than a GL-1800 platform bike. Bad paint or not, it is still the best made motorcycle out there.

Phantom
02-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Mechanically, there is NO better made motorcycle than a GL-1800 platform bike. Bad paint or not, it is still the best made motorcycle out there.

:icon_cool::yes: :icon_ditto::agree::werd:

BuzzzPhotos
02-11-2014, 12:20 AM
:icon_cool::yes: :icon_ditto::agree::werd:

Yep! My thoughts exactly.

Can hardly wait for some warm weather.

Paul B Blues
02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Guys I just wanted to up date you on the paint issue I have. The painter took pictures and gave a statement to the local Honda dealer where I bought my bike. He said that the paintwork on my black F6B is terrible and under certain light a clear ripple effect can be seen in the paint. Honda UK have instructed the dealer to recall the bike and inspect it. It's going back there tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. :wheelchair wheelie:

edgeman55
02-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Guys I just wanted to up date you on the paint issue I have. The painter took pictures and gave a statement to the local Honda dealer where I bought my bike. He said that the paintwork on my black F6B is terrible and under certain light a clear ripple effect can be seen in the paint. Honda UK have instructed the dealer to recall the bike and inspect it. It's going back there tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. :wheelchair wheelie:

Very interested to see what Honda UK will do for you as good old Honda USA is doing nothing for us.I went back to my dealer 4 times and was on the phone with Honda corperate 4 times and the only advise or solution they had was to use there recomended polish-In other words "GO AWAY DUDE WE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY!".:icon_frown:

Paul B Blues
02-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Very interested to see what Honda UK will do for you as good old Honda USA is doing nothing for us.I went back to my dealer 4 times and was on the phone with Honda corperate 4 times and the only advise or solution they had was to use there recomended polish-In other words "GO AWAY DUDE WE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY!".:icon_frown:

Honda UK might do the same, but as far as I know Honda only allowed 40 bikes into the UK. Maybe this limited number will work in my favour, fix the few that are here, and hope they keep quiet! :shhh:

ff73148
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't understand the paint issue. In the past I owned a ST1300 with the same type of plastic bodywork. I never waxed it. Honda sells a a spray wax cleaner and I've been using it for years. Cleans the plastic panels to a shine with no paint rubbing off.

MichaelG
02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't understand the paint issue. In the past I owned a ST1300 with the same type of plastic bodywork. I never waxed it. Honda sells a a spray wax cleaner and I've been using it for years. Cleans the plastic panels to a shine with no paint rubbing off.

Frank, the paint on these Black F6Bs is different than the Black paint on the ST1300s. BUT...I suspect that "IF" Honda does come out with a 2014 version of the ST1300, since they seem to like to skip a year on odd numbered years...the new ST will probably have ther newer version of the Japanese plant paint on it.

"coffee"

stepbill
02-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks to a message that I got from Tennex, I will be buying my bike from Honda of Russellville. They will paint the bike any color I want, just have to supply them a paint code. Trying to find out now if it has to be a Honda paint code or if I can use House of Kolors. I'm torn between the organic green kandy or the rootbeer kandy.

opas ride
02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I am not sure about HOR, but I used House of Colors at my dealer and love the way it turned out...Brandywine Red Clearcoat...I thought I read somewhere that Russelville uses PPG paints....Not sure although...Good Luck on your choice.....

MichaelG
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
I will be buying my bike from Honda of Russellville. They will paint the bike any color I want, just have to supply them a paint code. Trying to find out now if it has to be a Honda paint code or if I can use House of Kolors. I'm torn between the organic green kandy or the rootbeer kandy.

stepbill, I would like to believe that the color of paint that HOR uses does NOT have to be a Honda paint code...and I say that because some of the colors we have seen painted on their Signature Series bikes are not colors that Honda has ever used, for any vehicle. Just ask HOR to give you the phone number for their trike shop affiliate, and ask that shop directly...what colot palate can I chose from? Look at that color palate, and then supply them this the code for the color of your choice.

JBnAZ
02-12-2014, 09:07 PM
:icon_doh: another paint thread - who wudda saw that comming?

:popcorn:

Honda polish - ride it - and thanks to all of you that spend the time and effort to carry the warranty flag for the rest of us.

There is one option I have not seen suggested - sticker the ever loving crap out of your ride and create bike art!

I know a guy that has done so to his wing with 225K miles on it. Gets more looks and comments than any F6B will get and looks freaky all at the same time! can barely tell it once was blue......

ff73148
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Frank, the paint on these Black F6Bs is different than the Black paint on the ST1300s. BUT...I suspect that "IF" Honda does come out with a 2014 version of the ST1300, since they seem to like to skip a year on odd numbered years...the new ST will probably have ther newer version of the Japanese plant paint on it.

"coffee"

I don't know Miles but I'm not having any trouble with my black F6B. The spray works for me. Maybe I'm just not particular. I just love riding the F6B.

MichaelG
02-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't know Miles but I'm not having any trouble with my black F6B. The spray works for me. Maybe I'm just not particular. I just love riding the F6B.

Frank, that is great that you are not having any issues with your Black paint. Good. Seriously. Those of us that "do" have bad paint on our bikes...are honestly and genuinely happy that you, and some others, do NOT have bad paint on your bikes. We would not wish this on anyone else. Just because 100+ of us do have bad paint, does not mean that we want everyone to have bad paint. There just does not seem to be any rhyme or reason why some bikes have the bad paint, and others have acceptable paint. Moving on.....:icon_wink:

But, you must be particular...otherwise why would you have bought an F6B. Someone that is not particular, would have bought just any old bike, but you bought an F6B.

ff73148
02-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Miles, you have no argument from me if you and many of the other F6B riders are having pant problems. For me it was never about the color of my bike and if it was clean or dirty. It always about the ride. Honda should set up and address the issue. But I have to question if they ever will if they let it get this far. Many other bikes have nagging problems that motorcycle companies won't address. BMWr1200rt, fuel strip failure is one I can think of. I hope at some point all F6B riders who are having paint problems will get satisfaction.