PDA

View Full Version : windshield, aesthetics vs function

ED209
02-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I really love the stock shorty windshield. It fits the style and makes the bike different than a standard Goldwing.

If it were summer time or warmer outside than it is now, the shorty would be fine. But with all the recent rain and cold, even here in Florida, its time for some protection.

The situation I am having is finding pictures of F6B's with full views (side-front) of the differing windshields. I finaly found a picture of a 19" stocker type Goldwing windshield on an F6B, but it looked like a scooter with that shield.

Can anybody show pictures of the aftermarket windshields you went with in full view of the bikes please?

:039:

Texas TC
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Man, there are a lot of options now. When I got my F6B a year ago, there was stock and the OEM Honda tall option. I bought the optional 16.5" tall windshield and have been pleased with the looks and wind protection. As far as after market, I like the F4 offerings.

1951vbs
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
I really love the stock shorty windshield. It fits the style and makes the bike different than a standard Goldwing.

If it were summer time or warmer outside than it is now, the shorty would be fine. But with all the recent rain and cold, even here in Florida, its time for some protection.

The situation I am having is finding pictures of F6B's with full views (side-front) of the differing windshields. I finaly found a picture of a 19" stocker type Goldwing windshield on an F6B, but it looked like a scooter with that shield.

Can anybody show pictures of the aftermarket windshields you went with in full view of the bikes please?

Have you tried a full-face helmet. It is cold and rainy here in Charlotte but my shorty is fine with my full face.398739883989

opas ride
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Several of the Manufacturer web-sites offer pictures of the F6B with their products on the bike...Baggershield does I know, as I have one, I believe Klockwerks, F4, and Cee-Baileys also show pictures on the bike...I think Madstad also shows the shield on the F6B...Good luck...

Scotrod
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I'd show ya mine but it would probably scare ya!! :yikes:

ED209
02-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes I use my full face helmet right now, it helps a lot. I'll look again on some of the sites mentioned.

Scottrod :shock: LOL

Does anyone have the 11" Baggershield ?

Thanks all.........

dickiedeals
02-12-2014, 06:22 PM
I prefer function over looks but of course would like one with both. I'm using the stock Honda with a vent. I love the vent and the 17" height that Puts my eyes just above it and the wind over my head. Its not quite wide enough and I get buffeting on my shoulders. If someone made a 17" that was 4"s wider this would be perfect. Thinking of trying the Klock Werks Flare but I'm pretty sure its not tall enough and its a bit pricey. Waiting on some reports from fellow forum riders. How about it guys?. :shrug:..........Dickie

choptop
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Same thing here 120ci, I am 5'8" ish and coming from a 14" windvest on a old harley, the F6b shorty along with the bodywork is probably better than what I had. I want to feel the wind but I would like to hear the radio to, I'm thinking about 13 - 15 " max.

Tbone56
02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Clearviewshields.com also has a windshield for the F6B with the recurve at the top. Website says they offer in three sizes. Not sure if they are really in production yet.

coffee_weasle
02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

the smoked w-s is 7" over stock, the clear is 11" over stock (as i recall), both were "slipstream" wind shields

i bought the clear from wingstuff.com part # BB20520

Scotrod
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Scottrod :shock: LOL

Heh heh heh! 120, I'm completely serious!!!! (Most of the time, anyway!!! LOL!)

If you promise not to scream,,,

See post 187 on this page:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?991-Madstad-for-F6B/page10&highlight=madstad

MichaelG
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Clearviewshields.com also has a windshield for the F6B with the recurve at the top. Website says they offer in three sizes. Not sure if they are really in production yet.

Tbone, that is a good question...."if they are in production yet"...because I ordered 2 new windshields from Clearview 20 days ago, had my card charged by them 15 days ago, and was told that they were to be shipped out late last week. But as of now, I cannot get Craig to answer my calls or respond to my e-mails, so I don't know for a fact that they have been made, let alone been shipped. I have had Clearview windshields before, and love the recurve at the top, so thought I would give them another try.

Waiting..............................:icon_frown:

Steve 0080
02-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I think I have had 5 shields…the best looking was the Baggershield 17”…I an now using a HondaLine w/ vent...

Bruce B
02-13-2014, 03:26 AM
120ci, Take a look at the Madstad. It looks good (technical and aggressive) although some do not care for the styling. It sits low so you can look well over it, yet it's the best I've ever had for protection and quiet. Getting quite popular with the F6B. I first got the 13 incher (I'm 5'10") but switched to the 11 incher. My profile picture here shows the 11 inch. Check out the very large Forum thread "Madstad for F6B" and see the pics scattered throughout the thread. Also, check out www.madstad.com. The site has a few pics including d-shark from this Forum and myself (with the original 13 inch shield, it's the pic in the park setting). There is quite a selection of aftermarket shields available now. You're sure to find one that will work out well for you.

chipmaker
02-13-2014, 04:03 AM
I like to wear a 3/4 lid and look over the windshield by as much as possible. Madstad is the winner. I look over it by at least 4". And its way adjustable.

kjelders
02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
I have the Windbender HP Electric 11" dark smoke. You can adjust the height to a max of 15" with a switch while running down the highway.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1614&d=1376080726

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2555&d=1381340006

ED209
02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
I think I have had 5 shields…the best looking was the Baggershield 17”…I an now using a HondaLine w/ vent...

Would you be wanting to part with any of them? Bike Week is so close and I realize I can get one at one of the display tents, but I would rather help out a member, if so. :039:

I do thank all of you who posted and showed pics and suggestions. Thank you all.

One final question: will the stock standard Goldwing windshield bolt up to the F6B ?
I call a Honda shop and they said it probably wouldn't.

Scotrod
02-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Would you be wanting to part with any of them? Bike Week is so close and I realize I can get one at one of the display tents, but I would rather help out a member, if so. :039:

I do thank all of you who posted and showed pics and suggestions. Thank you all.

One final question: will the stock standard Goldwing windshield bolt up to the F6B ?
I call a Honda shop and they said it probably wouldn't.

Yep. You might need some fender washers due to the slots being wider.

Only (3) locations on the F6B for attachment w/o purchasing extra hardware. Unclear, but I believe late model Wings may only use 3 anyway, and earlier wings use 5.

Scotrod
02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
I have the Windbender HP Electric 11" dark smoke. You can adjust the height to a max of 15" with a switch while running down the highway.

VERY NICE looking set-up, KJ! :yes:

1951vbs
02-13-2014, 12:32 PM

:yes:This is the best looking non-shorty windsheild I have seen. I like the way it retains the factory rake and the power feature is fantastic! I like the farkle shelf option too. If I ever decide to go with something besides the stock size screen this would be it. Unfortunately the $800 price is enough for me to really evaluate if I need it or not.:shrug:

Blotar
02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
I have also ponied up for a Clearview sport type shield. I hope it provides enough coverage for extended rides. Clearview seems to have a liberal return policy if you dont foul it up prior to sending it back.(good pics on the website) I thinks Miles is getting the 'GT' (grand touring)
I too am waiting.
Blotar

ED209
02-14-2014, 02:48 PM
:clap2: A big thank you all for the great responses and pictures.

Today I installed a Honda vented 16.5" tall clear windshield for the F6B.

Also a thankyou to Cruiserman for his youtube video on how-to install the windshield, made it a cakewalk in 15 minutes. I will be purchasing some of your videos as to oil-change and maybe tire-change. Thank you.... :yes:

So, I called the local Honda shop and it happened that they had a tall F6B shield in stock, new in box of course. I got it for $190 out the door.

Pulled the fairing Tupperware this morning at the house, removed the stock windshield, rode it to the Honda shop, bought the new shield and installed it in the lot. :icon_mrgreen: Had some onlookers, :stirthepot: they seen how easy it was, but they seemed a little intrigued. Saved a ton of install money 'popcorn and coke'

The ride to the shop without a shield was pretty fun, it was cool out 50 degrees and sunny, couldn't ask for better. The ride home was just fantastic, heard the music from my MP3 player even at 65mph with all sound. At 5'11" I can see perfectly over the 16.5" (from rubber up) with comfort and I can tuck a little and lose all wind and noise totally.

Thanks again.............. Ed

choptop
02-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Also a thankyou to Cruiserman for his youtube video on how-to install the windshield, made it a cakewalk in 15 minutes. I will be purchasing some of your videos as to oil-change and maybe tire-change. Thank you.... :yes:

So, I called the local Honda shop and it happened that they had a tall F6B shield in stock, new in box of course. I got it for $190 out the door.

Pulled the fairing Tupperware this morning at the house, removed the stock windshield, rode it to the Honda shop, bought the new shield and installed it in the lot. :icon_mrgreen: Had some onlookers, :stirthepot: they seen how easy it was, but they seemed a little intrigued. Saved a ton of install money 'popcorn and coke'

The ride to the shop without a shield was pretty fun, it was cool out 50 degrees and sunny, couldn't ask for better. The ride home was just fantastic, heard the music from my MP3 player even at 65mph with all sound. At 5'11" I can see perfectly over the 16.5" (from rubber up) with comfort and I can tuck a little and lose all wind and noise totally.

Like they say, no pics, didn't happen. At 5"9 I could probably get by w/a little shorter shield.

ED209
02-14-2014, 07:22 PM
:icon_doh: pictures :icon_mrgreen:

OK, little tips here.
That's a 10mm and you pull this point of plastic out and over the threaded nipple to remove fairing.

Heres the open front, those are 8mm bolts

installed and lovin it

Mustangjake
02-14-2014, 09:51 PM
My F4 Custom was at my house in 4 days I love it

Texas TC
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM

I think you will enjoy the protection. My Honda tall has been on my bike since day 1. I can hear the radio at 80 mph. And, the vent is excellent in the summer to allow some air to hit your body but not in your face or helmet.

JBnAZ
02-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Received and installed my Madstad Engineering 11 inch dark smoke shield tonight and going for a long ride tomorrow. Thought I would need a 13 inch but the 11 was hard to see over in the upper most position.

Hopefully it lives up the the hype - it's not as funky looking as I thought it would be.

Blotar
02-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Just got my new Clearview Sport windshield tonight. I called the UPS driver by name. (one of my best friends) I couldn't wait to install. I left the shrink wrap on as I was afraid it wasn't going to protect like I needed it to. So, I left the neighborhood and got some speed going. It seemed as I went faster the 'bubble' got larger and I got more protection. I have to admit that the 'baggershield' I traded for gave me a great bubble of protection, I do like this windshield. I get a little wind around the edges of my head but the main wind is not hitting me anywhere. I think the original 'look' of the F6B has been preserved and I think that I will really like this one the best.
Blotar:icon_biggrin:4113

JBnAZ
02-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Rode 160 miles last weekend with the new Madstad 11 inch shield. The performance is great, good enough in fact to get over the interesting looks. Finally got to enjoy the stereo at high speeds.

Observed an interesting side effect, I rode an average of 10 - 15 mph faster than with the stock windshield. Less noise, less friction in my face, less realization of the speed I am moving. Had to watch my speeds as I was moving faster than I realized.

Got to let the bike loose on some great twisties heading up highway 87 leaving Phoenix northbound. Enjoyed watching a few Harley friends in the side view mirrors. I built a deeper appreciation for the frame and engineering that Honda put into this bike. Ride quality was far superior to my 2008 street glide.

JB

Wmorgan2k
02-20-2014, 02:20 AM
Glad to see you got something. It was way to windy for me with the shorty shield. Me personally I like lots of protection and I also like smoking my cigars while I ride so I had to have the tall shield. I found a used Windstream it's' 19 or 20" and I got it for $70. Here is a shot installed.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/phantomx2k/Honda%20F6B/7958D346-EC52-48E8-8E07-24CCB0F46E81.jpg

MichaelG
02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Just got my new Clearview Sport windshield tonight. I called the UPS driver by name. (one of my best friends) I couldn't wait to install. I left the shrink wrap on as I was afraid it wasn't going to protect like I needed it to. So, I left the neighborhood and got some speed going. It seemed as I went faster the 'bubble' got larger and I got more protection. I have to admit that the 'baggershield' I traded for gave me a great bubble of protection, I do like this windshield. I get a little wind around the edges of my head but the main wind is not hitting me anywhere. I think the original 'look' of the F6B has been preserved and I think that I will really like this one the best.

Blotar, I am pleased to see that you received your new Clearview windshield, and the picture of it. I am expecting to receive two (2) windshields from them today...a Sport, and a GT. I have used Clearview windshields several times in the past, so I hope one of these will suit me for the ride out to Florida.

"coffee"

stepbill
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Love the look of your shield. When I went to their website, I could not find that shield. I clicked on the Honda logo, then selected the GL1800 and it then asked me to select several options. How were you able to select your style shield?

Phantom
02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Love the look of your shield. When I went to their website, I could not find that shield. I clicked on the Honda logo, then selected the GL1800 and it then asked me to select several options. How were you able to select your style shield?

:banana:

You will SOON have a DIRECT link to their website and F6B page shortly.
Thanks to Mr. Miles, they have become a supporting vendor and we will have more details in the next 7-10 days.
They will have a company ad on the home page amongst the other supporting vendors.

:icon_cool::yes:

stepbill
02-20-2014, 10:34 AM
:banana:

You will SOON have a DIRECT link to their website and F6B page shortly.
Thanks to Mr. Miles, they have become a supporting vendor and we will have more details in the next 7-10 days.
They will have a company ad on the home page amongst the other supporting vendors.

:icon_cool::yes:

Thanks, since I don't have my bike yet I can wait :icon_biggrin:.

MichaelG
02-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Bill, you can also go to their website....type in the name F6B into their search box...and it will bring up that page with pictures of the new F6B windshields.

Thank you to Phantom for signing Clearview up as a sponsoring vendor. :yes:

DisneyBill
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Hmm, this Clearview shield intrigues me. I am finding it hard getting used to looking through or having to peek just over a shield and this looks like it could provide an option where I can clearly look over the top of the shield but still have wind protection. Does anyone know what the 3 heights are that they reference on their site for F6B shields?

- Bill

F4 Customs
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM

120ci, here are some shots of an a couple of our models....the tall one is a custom cut 23.5" tall and 4" wider than stock F6B. Our shortest is 14" and is 2" wider than the stock F6B. We can cut any size you would like also. Check us out at www.f4customs.co Thanks!

Blotar
02-20-2014, 11:44 PM
there are three heights available with the Clearview. I have spoken with Craig and will be sending the short Sport Model back for the Medium Sport. (light gray) Since I do not ride with a helmet the slight bufffeting on my hairline was not going to cut it for me. Craig was more than accomodating and we will trade for the next taller size. I'm sure that I will be able to find that 'sweet spot' with the replacement. Since I am kind of short I thought the short shield would do it for me, but without a helmet I need to raise the bubble a little. He has two different widths as far as I understand and three heights. He measures from the little Honda emblem between the console buttons on the flat spot on the dash. Pictures of the final install when it arrives.
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
02-21-2014, 01:16 AM
there are three heights available with the Clearview. I have spoken with Craig and will be sending the short Sport Model back for the Medium Sport. (light gray) Since I do not ride with a helmet the slight bufffeting on my hairline was not going to cut it for me. Craig was more than accomodating and we will trade for the next taller size. I'm sure that I will be able to find that 'sweet spot' with the replacement. Since I am kind of short I thought the short shield would do it for me, but without a helmet I need to raise the bubble a little. He has two different widths as far as I understand and three heights. He measures from the little Honda emblem between the console buttons on the flat spot on the dash. Pictures of the final install when it arrives.
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

It seems that between Blotar and myself, we spend all of Craigs' time on the phone, and he can't get all of his work done :icon_wink:
(Craig Stenger is the owner of Clearview)

I did received both of the new Clearview windshields today, the darker tinted Sport model, and the darker tinted GT model, which is the wider version. Right now the GT is mounted on my bike, and I love it. Just for measurements sake, as described by Blotar above...both of these windshields are 16" tall. With the recurve at the top of the windshield, I think the 16 " height will be perfect for me, despite my RDL seat sitting me almost 2 " higher than stock.

These are NOT measured the same way that everyone else measures a windshield. You really should go to their website to see the pictures of how these are measured for height. Here is a picture from their website:

http://www.clearviewshields.com/assets/DSC03111.jpg

Once I get my fairing valance back in place, I will take some pics.

Tbone56
03-02-2014, 07:10 PM
It seems that between Blotar and myself, we spend all of Craigs' time on the phone, and he can't get all of his work done :icon_wink:
(Craig Stenger is the owner of Clearview)

I did received both of the new Clearview windshields today, the darker tinted Sport model, and the darker tinted GT model, which is the wider version. Right now the GT is mounted on my bike, and I love it. Just for measurements sake, as described by Blotar above...both of these windshields are 16" tall. With the recurve at the top of the windshield, I think the 16 " height will be perfect for me, despite my RDL seat sitting me almost 2 " higher than stock.

These are NOT measured the same way that everyone else measures a windshield. You really should go to their website to see the pictures of how these are measured for height. Here is a picture from their website:

http://www.clearviewshields.com/assets/DSC03111.jpg

Once I get my fairing valance back in place, I will take some pics.

Any pictures or comments about your Clearview windshields?

Boltar
03-24-2014, 03:28 PM
I ordered and installed the clearview short "sport touring" (widest but shortest) Clearview model with the Honda vent installed and test drove it this weekend on a ~250 mile ride through the southern AZ twisties-- I am 5" 10" with a 31 in inseam, and ride with a full face helmet- here are my notes-

1) about half of my helmet was in turbulence/buffet, from ~50 mph and up, crouching down about 3 inches and slightly forward put me back in the "bubble"- this did not seem to vary much with speed in the 50-80 Mph range.
2) had a hard time getting any airflow though my helmet, despite the full open vent ( I have a Shoei GT Air lid) it was a perfect 80 degree day, ended up wanting the faceshield up for ventilation most of the time
3) good job on "neck down" shielding from the wind and buffet.. but again, little flow from the vent through my mesh jacket.

Considering the "tall" version of the clearview (which is only 2" taller as measured from the dashboard...), or perhaps punting and going with a windbender... (I like the asthetics of the windbender over the Mastad, although this forum seems to have mostly Mastad fans...

Any comments out there on Mastad vs Windbender???

Thanks

Boltar

Scotrod
03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has had direct experience with Madstad vs. Windbender ,,, on the same bike,,,

Folks who have one or the other certainly like 'em, so, go with the one ya like! :yes:

Ima cheap baztad and love the ability to adjust rake. Add a rake kit to the 'bender, eh, it kinda looks like someone got carried away with an erector set. :icon_doh:

1951vbs
03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
I ordered and installed the clearview short "sport touring" (widest but shortest) Clearview model with the Honda vent installed and test drove it this weekend on a ~250 mile ride through the southern AZ twisties-- I am 5" 10" with a 31 in inseam, and ride with a full face helmet- here are my notes-

1) about half of my helmet was in turbulence/buffet, from ~50 mph and up, crouching down about 3 inches and slightly forward put me back in the "bubble"- this did not seem to vary much with speed in the 50-80 Mph range.
2) had a hard time getting any airflow though my helmet, despite the full open vent ( I have a Shoei GT Air lid) it was a perfect 80 degree day, ended up wanting the faceshield up for ventilation most of the time
3) good job on "neck down" shielding from the wind and buffet.. but again, little flow from the vent through my mesh jacket.
Boltar

From your report why don't you just run the stock shield?:shrug: I am also 5'10" and wear a full face. With the stock shield the wind hits me at about neck height, no buffet (movement) just wind noise negated by ear plugs or ear buds. Nice breeze through my helmet vents and some to my jacket. The madstad reports have been very positive but lean towards "still air" and "wind protection" so I'm not sure that will help your ventilation issue.

Bruce B
03-24-2014, 10:18 PM
From your report why don't you just run the stock shield?:shrug: I am also 5'10" and wear a full face. With the stock shield the wind hits me at about neck height, no buffet (movement) just wind noise negated by ear plugs or ear buds. Nice breeze through my helmet vents and some to my jacket. The madstad reports have been very positive but lean towards "still air" and "wind protection" so I'm not sure that will help your ventilation issue.

I think I have the perfect, for me, solution to the wind protection/ventilation issue. I run the Madstad which is great on protection and, I feel, still allows adequate ventilation. I also have the Baker Hand Wings. In one position, I have even more protection. In another, I can direct a real blast of air right at me. I like the LD Comfort long sleeved underwear shirt for hot weather riding. It acts like a swamp cooler when air is directed up my jacket sleeves and the jacket is vented only at the throat. I've actually gotten a chill when riding in over 100 degree weather. I had poured a bit of water on the shirt for that effect. The Hand Wings do a good job of directing the air to the sleeves.

Boltar
03-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Great inputs folks, perhaps I will cruise around this weekend with a stock shield, GT Air lid, and ear plugs... then decide to Windbend ner not... coming from a VFR1200F, perhaps a buffet-free breeze in the face is what I am after...

thanks for the inputs, more to come...

Boltar

doubleh
07-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm a new F6B owner and stand at 5'8" and purchased the Klock Werks 14" Smoked Flare Windshield about 6 weeks ago and thought I was couldn't ask for more with its performance after running it for 500mi straight. That was until I jumped back on my '07 H-D Softail this week without a windshield. I realized the wind was hitting my face steadily & smoothly on the H-D, whereas while riding the F6B with the KW windshield wearing my 1/2 helmet I had terrible buffeting right at ear level (with ear plugs) which also was hitting my head from behind and actually forcing my strapped glasses away from my face at 60-65mph causing my eyes to irritate afterwards, and forget about wearing my 3/4 helmet (with ear plugs as well) which was like having my head in a paint mixer…literally!!!

I've decided to ditch the KW and try the MadStad 11" Extra Dark Smoked Windshield , which I ordered last night after reading the positive impressions about it on this thread. Has anyone had experience with owning both the KW 11" & MadStad 11" that could possibly share their experiences between both?

Thank you,
Joe

Allen Framen
07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Joe,

I believe that you will find a significant difference between the Madstaad and the KW.

When you install the Madstaad base plate to the motorcycle, I suggest that you put Loctite on the three mounting fasteners. You will not want to access them again later if it can be avoided. There are several good videos available that describe the Gold Wing windshield replacement; the F6B process is similar.

The Madstaad might require some trial and error to get the best adjustment for you. When you get to speed, with your left hand, find the airflow coming off the left side of the windshield. I believe you'll find that it's blowing to the outside of your shoulder. If the airflow coming over the middle of the Madstaad is hitting you below the top of your helmet, you should be able to easily adjust the 11" shield to push that airflow over your head.

With the Madstaad, it seems to me that the airflow is more affected by the angle adjustment than the height adjustment. You'll quickly get it figured out. Good luck!

allen

doubleh
07-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Joe,

I believe that you will find a significant difference between the Madstaad and the KW.

When you install the Madstaad base plate to the motorcycle, I suggest that you put Loctite on the three mounting fasteners. You will not want to access them again later if it can be avoided. There are several good videos available that describe the Gold Wing windshield replacement; the F6B process is similar.

The Madstaad might require some trial and error to get the best adjustment for you. When you get to speed, with your left hand, find the airflow coming off the left side of the windshield. I believe you'll find that it's blowing to the outside of your shoulder. If the airflow coming over the middle of the Madstaad is hitting you below the top of your helmet, you should be able to easily adjust the 11" shield to push that airflow over your head.

With the Madstaad, it seems to me that the airflow is more affected by the angle adjustment than the height adjustment. You'll quickly get it figured out. Good luck!

allenAllen,

Thank you very much for information, and the tips as well, I appreciate it. I always use a small amount medium strength Loctite for peace of mind. I do hope, and believe their is going to be a significant difference between the 2 after reading the entire "Madstad for F6B" thread as well. Thanks very much for your reply as well as the good luck! I'll post my impressions after getting the correct adjustments…can't wait! BTW, it sounds like you've had experience with the KW before, is this correct? If so, can I assume you felt the same as I do about it?

Thanks again,
Joe

doubleh
07-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.

willtill
07-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.

Get a 13"

I have one and it works pretty good.

I'm going to get a 15" for the colder months.

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat... if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt

doubleh
07-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Get a 13"

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the MadstadtI appreciate the input, but I'm 5'8" and have the stock seat and I would have an issue seeing over the 13". I extended my 11" all the way this morning (still experimenting) and the top of the shield was directly in my vision…not good.

Spent another 2hrs this morning to no avail, again. I may be expecting too much from reading impressions on the MadStad, but unfortunately at this point I'm really not impressed in any way with its performance. I can't even get a nice steady flow of air, and I still have the same buffeting at ear level. Back too the drawing board this evening.

Thanks,
Joe

grendl
07-16-2017, 01:12 PM
I loved the stock shorty also. Suited me to get some wind in my face and the weather wasnt a problem. Then I took a trip down south. The bugs kept me blind. I had a Klockwerks installed for the trip back and have loved it since. Better for the stereo,fun watching the bug execute themselves at the top of the flip. I still get some wind(full helmet with the visor up and shades) but thats ok.

WEGI
07-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Hi Folks

I ride with an HJC RPHA modular helmet. Stock shield pretty noisy above 55-60 made hearing stereo impossible. Added Memphis Shades Hot Wing extension now stereo is fine up to 80 or so.
I'm 5' 8" stock seat see over the shield and Hot Wing. Works for me. YMMV

Ride safe
WEG
ATGATT

Circle-5
07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
On day-1 I switched to the Honda "tall" windshield P/N 08R70-MJG-670 (plus the vent) because I think it looks best on the F6B. I'm exactly 6.0ft. tall, and it also allows me to looks either above or below the top, which is perfect. I added two screws with OEM spacers in the empty mounting holes, for a total of five – not sure if that helps, but it can't hurt.

I love driving my convertible with the open top and the air conditioning at full blast on hot California days. I wish the F6B had air conditioning as well, but I suppose that might be just a bit impractical ...

doubleh
07-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Get a 13"

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the MadstadtI decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

willtill
07-22-2017, 05:58 AM
I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

:yes:

soupbean
07-22-2017, 07:37 AM
About two weeks after bringing the bike home and after much research on this site and other resources I decided on an F4 Customs 16" clear with Honda vent installed. I'm 5'10" and have the stock seat for now. I'm very pleased with this setup. I look through the screen about 2"-3" from the top. Usually run the vent one click open as it gives a little air to me and provides almost zero buffeting and back pressure. If opened fully or one click from fully open it gives very good air movement to helmet vents and my chest. ( I wear a Shoei Quest ). Clean with a cotton towel and Meguire's Quick Detailer. Cleans up crystal clear with no scratches whatsoever after several months of use. Kind of pricey but well worth the investment.

Apache1
07-28-2017, 09:44 PM
I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!
Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!

doubleh
07-31-2017, 11:31 PM
Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!Yes, I received the Extra Dark Gray 13" shield, installed it, and at its lowest position it was too much of a problem for me to see over clearly. After riding for 20 minutes, my vision was fatigued. I'm shipping it back tomorrow. I then installed the "stock" windshield and headed towards the highway. On the way, doing 20-30MPH I felt like I was doing 100-MPH due to the shield throwing the wind directly into my face. I immediately returned home and put the Extra Dark Gray 11" back on, which I can see over clearly, and I will continue to adjust it until I find a happy medium. I think I was just expecting much too much from the MadStad, because the Klock Werks buffeting is unbearable and the "stock" shield just directs the wind into your face. Even though I had complained about the wind being at my ear level, there was no buffeting like the KW. I actually think it's the cross winds on the highway I'm testing on. I need to take a nice long ride elsewhere with the 11" and adjust from there.

gfnk106
08-02-2017, 07:55 PM
I have a 19" Slipstreamer shield on mine with the adjustable vent. I am 5' 11" and really like the pocket of no turbulent air I am in. Yes the top of the windscreen is partially in my line of vision, but I have learned to adjust accordingly and it has paid off greatly.

bowhunter
08-03-2017, 03:46 PM

i now have a clearview short tour with recurve and vent, after the first ride wow what a difference. very pleased i can cross off the windshield off the list for sure

Pauls.Ride
08-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I have a 19" Slipstreamer shield on mine with the adjustable vent. I am 5' 11" and really like the pocket of no turbulent air I am in. Yes the top of the windscreen is partially in my line of vision, but I have learned to adjust accordingly and it has paid off greatly.

+1 There's no wind noise and I can have my shield completely raised on my full face helmet.

gfnk106
08-08-2017, 03:48 PM
+1 There's no wind noise and I can have my shield completely raised on my full face helmet.

I know. Isn't it nice!

doubleh
09-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Couple of weeks ago I went up to Lake George, then from there, over to Vermont for a 500+mi ride (over 2-days). This was the first trip I took outside of riding with the 11" MadStad on my local highway. I'm happy to report that the 11" MadStad was nothing short of performing excellent at doing its job, and I'm totally done with my search for windshields!

seagravesg
09-03-2017, 06:04 AM
I am new to the F6B, after riding Victory Cross Country. I also like the shorty look on the bike but just too much wind for me. I installed a CeeBailey 15" with vent and light gray tint. Perfect for me. I look just slightly over the top but the wind is deflected.

doubleh
09-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I am new to the F6B, after riding Victory Cross Country. I also like the shorty look on the bike but just too much wind for me. I installed a CeeBailey 15" with vent and light gray tint. Perfect for me. I look just slightly over the top but the wind is deflected.
How do you like the F6B itself so far, not in comparison to the Victory?