PDA

View Full Version : Right Saddlebag Latch Issue

UTurn
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. When I unlock the saddlebags, the left one opens/unlatches normal. The right saddlebag sometimes fails to open, at times requiring several pulls on the latch to get it to catch whatever it catches to open the door. It's happened a few times, and I am worried that at some point it just wont open no matter how many times you pull on the lever. I understand that it is some kind of cable. I may need to take off that rear lid and investigate...

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue

Nope, haven't heard of this issue before.

Alberta Beagle
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. When I unlock the saddlebags, the left one opens/unlatches normal. The right saddlebag sometimes fails to open, at times requiring several pulls on the latch to get it to catch whatever it catches to open the door. It's happened a few times, and I am worried that at some point it just wont open no matter how many times you pull on the lever. I understand that it is some kind of cable. I may need to take off that rear lid and investigate...

My F6B came with a warranty. Why take the chance of screwing around and possibly breaking something when the dealer gets paid to fix it.

Texas TC
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
The bags on my F6B work flawlessly. That was not the case with my '08 and '12 Goldwings. On both those motorcycles, the bags would stick opening and were hard to close.

Memphian
05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I use my side bags almost every day when I ride to work. I keep my work clothes and some gear in them. So far I haven't had any problems opening or closing my bags. Hope you gets things worked out.

Steve 0080
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I would pull the seat and lube the cables and see how that works out for you.....l

Retired Army
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
While on the subject do the 1800's have the open saddlebag door indication on the main display or is that new on the F6B?

Gumby
05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Something isnt assembled right. You could pull the tail and see what it is, or you can let the dealer break tabs or scratch the paint. Take it back. Get your paint problems documented. Shop for farkles.

Texas TC
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
While on the subject do the 1800's have the open saddlebag door indication on the main display or is that new on the F6B?

I had the open saddlebag display on my 2008 & 2012 GL1800's.

jakec
05-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Uturn, I had the same problem, I sprayed some silicon on the latch and I also sprayed some on a rag and wiped it around the rubber seal and it solved the problem.
Jakec

CarolinaRider
05-21-2013, 05:51 PM
THis weekend I took a trip and the same thing happened to me that you have described. I did have them pretty full so thought maybe when I closed the bags something inside was rubbing the cable and didnt let it pull right.

I will see if it continues. But I have a question as well. The dealership I bought my bike from is across town, am I correct to assume that I can take my bike to any authorized honda dealer and they will work on it when it pertains to the warranty or do I need to take it back the the dealer I bought it from?

Gumby
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Any honda dealer, any where. The dealer you bought it from might treat you better, but not necessarily.

I'm a ASE master mechanic with bike certs. If my F6B has a problem in the next seven years it's going to the dealer. Nobody on this list has one that's anywhere close to out of warranty. Let them fix it. Let them document the problems. If it turns out to be a manufacturing issue they will have TSBs with updated parts and procedures. It's not uncommon for the best manufacturer to have issues with first year products.

Maintenance is a whole different story.

Steve 0080
05-21-2013, 07:07 PM
You can always pull the seat and lube the cables....time is important as well....

Dark Knight
05-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Amen Brother! Any problems it goes in!

Any honda dealer, any where. The dealer you bought it from might treat you better, but not necessarily.

I'm a ASE master mechanic with bike certs. If my F6B has a problem in the next seven years it's going to the dealer. Nobody on this list has one that's anywhere close to out of warranty. Let them fix it. Let them document the problems. If it turns out to be a manufacturing issue they will have TSBs with updated parts and procedures. It's not uncommon for the best manufacturer to have issues with first year products.

Maintenance is a whole different story.

UTurn
05-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will bring it to the dealer likely as a last resort. I will try the simple thing of taking the seat off and seeing if there is something visable. If nothing is apparant, and if just lubing doesn't work, then it will go back to the/a dealer.