PDA

View Full Version : Portable Garage Heater

Gperson
02-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Hello Everyone! :039:

There are a lot of options out there as far as portable heaters to be used in my garage. I'm just looking for something to make my garage a little more bearable during the winter months. I have a 3 car garage but am only wanting to warm the area in which I am working. Electric or propane, fan or no fan.....looking for ideas on what you use.

Thanks in advance for you input:clap2:
Hopefully warmer weather is on its way.....'riding'

Ride safe,
Gperson

Deer Slayer
02-16-2014, 04:50 PM

There are a lot of options out there as far as portable heaters to be used in my garage. I'm just looking for something to make my garage a little more bearable during the winter months. I have a 3 car garage but am only wanting to warm the area in which I am working. Electric or propane, fan or no fan.....looking for ideas on what you use.

Ride safe,
Gperson

My garage area is 14 x 20 and I use two electric heaters. Not too often as there is no insulation.:yikes:

opas ride
02-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I just bought a heater from Home Depot's web-site a couple weeks ago..Crane convection type 1500 watts..$50..Not huge but seems to work great for my needs. Sides get warm and air comes out the top...It has a couple power settings and fan speeds..Also has a timer which will shut it off in case one forgets, which is a nice feature....For your application you might need more than one, but check Home-depot's web...They have a bunch......

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Ride safe,
Gperson

I use a propane element heater in mine.

A week to 10 days on a propane bottle - BE SURE YOU LEAVE A WINDOW OR DOOR CRACKED OPEN FOR AIR FLOW....:nono:

Phantom
02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
When I designed my home back in 2003, I made sure to add 2 large 12" air ducts to the garage. One of the best decisions that I made. I built it in 2004. My garage is heated and cooled year round, the bikes and cars love it. I also plumbed a corner for a bathroom with a urinal, just never finished it ... been too busy and was the last thing on my list.

unsub
02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
When I designed my home back in 2003, I made sure to add 2 large 12" air ducts to the garage. One of the best decisions that I made. I built it in 2004. My garage is heated and cooled year round, the bikes and cars love it. I also plumbed a corner for a bathroom with a urinal, just never finished it ... been too busy and was the last thing on my list.

While it sounds just toasty, it doesn't really help the OP.:icon_wink:

OP, I've always had luck with oil based radiant heaters. I've been using the same two DeLonghi radiant heaters for almost 25 years in different parts of our older home when a heat "boost" is required. No fans so they are silent, no risk of hypoxia, and very low risk of fire in a non ventilated area like a garage can be.

I set the unit at the desired setting [usually the lowest setting] a day or so before I want the heat and you'd be surprised how much area just one heater will heat. Leaving these on for days or weeks is probably no more energy consuming than 3 or 4 100 watt light bulbs.

The models have changed over the years and there are competing manufacturers out there now as well.

Steve 0080
02-16-2014, 09:59 PM
When I had my business, I used a air plane hanger for storage of tools and equipment … I “ loved “ this forced air heather for large areas!!!

http://www.amazon.com/215-Kerosene-Forced-Heater-Thermostat/dp/B003ED32XW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1392605776&sr=8-10&keywords=forced+air+heater+kerosene

BACA
02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
I got one of these to heat my 24 X 30 garage and it works perfect. I turn it on and after 10 or 15 minutes the garage is nice and toasty...........

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Pro-60-000-BTU-Forced-Air-Propane-Portable-Heater-RMC-FA60DGP/202223041

Ericb445
02-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I have a Blue flame heater for my garage, I run it off a 20 lb propane bottle. I don't leave it on when I'm not in there, no need to heat it while not out there working.
It has an auto shut off for oxygen depletion and does not smell bad unless you spray chemicals in the garage, then it can stink you out.
I have had it for 6 years now and works very well, but my garage is well insulated.
I bought the fan add on, if I had to do again, I would save the money and not get the fan.
I bought an Empire because they are a Hometown Company.
I also picked the Blue Flame version because it heats the air, and not surfaces compared to the ceramic version that heats a ceramic element. I hear the Blue Flame works better for open spaces
I did a lot of reading on garage heaters when I was trying to pick the one to buy.
There are a lot of options. I don't regret the route I went with. The heater I have will get the 10x40 garage nice a toasty

http://www.mastersalesonline.com/empire/bf-30.html

Gperson
02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Hey Everyone:039:

Thanks to all of you who responded :clap2:

Hope everyone has a great rest of your week...

Ride safe and often,
Gperson

Wags
02-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Whatever you be careful to have to proper ventilation. One of my friends and fellow rider was overcome by fumes from his salamander and collapse and fell on the salamander and he burnt up in his garage. It will be a strange spring not getting to take our 8 year old girls for a ride to get dinner.

yellow rex
02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I put a Markel heater 644617 in one of my 2 car garage it is electric
I did not want to worry about ventilation and it works very well,
at 9 degrees it takes about 30 minutes to reach 70 or 75 in the garage.