PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions for those with a Garmin ZUMO GPS

stepbill
02-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I have the Zumo 550 and was wondering if there is a way to listen to the directions through the speakers of the bike and also, did you hardwire the Zumo mount to the bike or are you using a cigarette plug? If you hardwired it, was it hard to do and is there a link for instructions? Thanks for the help! I enjoy just getting on my bike and ridding and then using the GPS to get me back home.

MichaelG
02-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I have the Zumo 550 and was wondering if there is a way to listen to the directions through the speakers of the bike and also, did you hardwire the Zumo mount to the bike or are you using a cigarette plug? If you hardwired it, was it hard to do and is there a link for instructions? Thanks for the help! I enjoy just getting on my bike and ridding and then using the GPS to get me back home.

stepbill, I also have the Zumo 550...and mine is hardwired into the bike. You can wire the GPS to listen to the voice directions so that it can be heard through helmet speakers...done via blue-tooth...or wired via a GPS/Intercom unit from Sierra Electonics. But I do not know of a way to route the voice directions through the external speakers of the bike.

For hardwiring the GPS, it is so simple, it is NOT funny, so don't laugh:icon_lol:

Under the LEFT side pocket (left side of the fairing, the pocket that has the spring-loaded lid on it), once you remove that entire pocket, there is a 12v source there, inside the clear rubber boot. The connector for that power cource is a RED connector. In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector. You can use the power cord from Garmin, wire it into a female connector that will snap into the RED male connector that the bike comes with under that left pocket, and then route the Garmin power wire up to your GPS.

This is were I have mine located, and wired to: (things have been changed since the lightning strike, but you get the idea)

MSGT-R
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Wingstuff had my husband's Zumo-450 hardwired so that it was not only powered, but Bitchin Betty also talked through his headset (overridding the music).. It's a pigtail in that same location.

mike2000t
03-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Miles,

My power lead for the Zumo just has bare wires (red an black). Is that how yours is, and you hooked up the red to the power source and the black to a ground on the bike? On my VT1100 I spliced the red into a tail light connection and ran the black to the frame.

The other option I saw was to fish the wire down to the fuse box since there are two accessory hook ups in the box. The dealer said that is how he did his and used a large zip tie to pull the wire through without taking any panels off the bike - he did say it was frustrating.

Thanks,
Mike

F6BPDX
03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Miles,

My power lead for the Zumo just has bare wires (red an black). Is that how yours is, and you hooked up the red to the power source and the black to a ground on the bike? On my VT1100 I spliced the red into a tail light connection and ran the black to the frame.

The other option I saw was to fish the wire down to the fuse box since there are two accessory hook ups in the box. The dealer said that is how he did his and used a large zip tie to pull the wire through without taking any panels off the bike - he did say it was frustrating.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, my Zumo 665 cradle also has bare wires. What I did was call Lewis' company Electrical Connection and have them make me a plug that was prewired. One end is the Hitachi plug needed for the bike, then there is about 4" of red and black wire, which ends in two butt connectors. Simply insert your bare wires from the Zumo, crimp down with wire strippers/needle nose pliers and then it is a plug and play into the fairing connector Miles refered to. This connector isn't on the site but I think it was in the $6 - $8 range (I ordered multiple stuff at the same time).

stepbill
03-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Mike, my Zumo 665 cradle also has bare wires. What I did was call Lewis' company Electrical Connection and have them make me a plug that was prewired. One end is the Hitachi plug needed for the bike, then there is about 4" of red and black wire, which ends in two butt connectors. Simply insert your bare wires from the Zumo, crimp down with wire strippers/needle nose pliers and then it is a plug and play into the fairing connector Miles refered to. This connector isn't on the site but I think it was in the $6 - $8 range (I ordered multiple stuff at the same time).

I was looking on his site and could not find anything. Thanks for the tip, I will give them a call.

mike2000t
03-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a winner. Thanks.

unsub
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM

I haven't tried this myself, BUT if your GPS came with a 3.5 mini connector on the loom for the bike mount as mine did, can you plug in the 3.5 audio jack that's inside your left cubby to the 3.5 plug on the GPS wiring?

This way: Presuming you've routed the power harness into the left side pocket area under the cubby pull the bike's 3.5 cable free from inside the cubby, connect to the GPS audio jack, then adjust all wiring for steering play, roll up the excess and keep it tucked down under the cubby, re install cubby. Select AUX on your bike audio to hear the GPS.

Test connections first before final install.

stepbill
03-13-2014, 01:09 PM
I haven't tried this myself, BUT if your GPS came with a 3.5 mini connector on the loom for the bike mount as mine did, can you plug in the 3.5 audio jack that's inside your left cubby to the 3.5 plug on the GPS wiring?

This way: Presuming you've routed the power harness into the left side pocket area under the cubby pull the bike's 3.5 cable free from inside the cubby, connect to the GPS audio jack, then adjust all wiring for steering play, roll up the excess and keep it tucked down under the cubby, re install cubby. Select AUX on your bike audio to hear the GPS.

'popcorn and coke'

F6BPDX
03-13-2014, 02:41 PM

This works for sure on a 665, it is how mine is wired. I can't speak to the 550 as I have never used one.

unsub
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
This works for sure on a 665, it is how mine is wired. I can't speak to the 550 as I have never used one.

OK good to know. I had it all organized in my head, just never wanted the GPS audio so I didn't connect it. I'm hoping for the 550 users their cradle comes with audio out as well.....

@stepbill: "I enjoy just getting on my bike and ridding and then using the GPS to get me back home".

C'mon now fess up, you're not lost. You just want to keep on riding. :-)

RoadWeary
04-23-2014, 06:13 PM
stepbill, I also have the Zumo 550...and mine is hardwired into the bike. You can wire the GPS to listen to the voice directions so that it can be heard through helmet speakers...done via blue-tooth...or wired via a GPS/Intercom unit from Sierra Electonics. But I do not know of a way to route the voice directions through the external speakers of the bike.

For hardwiring the GPS, it is so simple, it is NOT funny, so don't laugh:icon_lol:

Under the LEFT side pocket (left side of the fairing, the pocket that has the spring-loaded lid on it), once you remove that entire pocket, there is a 12v source there, inside the clear rubber boot. The connector for that power cource is a RED connector. In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector. You can use the power cord from Garmin, wire it into a female connector that will snap into the RED male connector that the bike comes with under that left pocket, and then route the Garmin power wire up to your GPS.

This is were I have mine located, and wired to: (things have been changed since the lightning strike, but you get the idea)

Good description. So if the RED is the power, where do I ground to? (I'm assuming that both connections in the RED block are hot.)

jaygollner
04-25-2014, 05:04 PM
You mentioned using a y splitter below and I am wondering where you got it from as I am looking for one as well and I don't want to cut and splice wires on my nice new bike.

In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector.

F6BPDX
04-25-2014, 05:09 PM
You mentioned using a y splitter below and I am wondering where you got it from as I am looking for one as well and I don't want to cut and splice wires on my nice new bike.

In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector.

www.electricalconnection.com splitter is $15 I believe and is plug and play to the power socket (hitachi plugs on all ends)

Steve 0080
04-25-2014, 07:30 PM
I hard wired mine to the fuse block/keyed acc.... and yes Blue Tooth into my helmet or other Blue tooth device like a LG Tone....

jaygollner
04-25-2014, 07:40 PM
www.electricalconnection.com splitter is $15 I believe and is plug and play to the power socket (hitachi plugs on all ends)

Thanks for the info, now all I have to do is find a suitable handlebar outlet and I will be in business.

stepbill
04-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Yes, this is where I got it from and they are great folks that sell great products.

TwinCitiesRider
04-26-2014, 08:44 PM
I installed the Zumo 300 today, using a Ram mount attached to the clutch reservoir. I used Cruiseman's YouTube video as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAhXN2-9cHs. At the 3:40 mark he shows you how to connect the two wires to the fuse block. Prior to this he shows how to remove the side panels and trim to route the wire. With the Zumo 300 I had to route the wire from the battery to the handlebars.