PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install the vsteam windshield

Jabbasan
02-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Anyone have any pics of the Vstream windshield installed on there F6B they could share. I am also interested In what you think of it. I had one on my GS adventure a couple of years ago and loved it. I can't seem to find a pic of one on an F6B

XKnight
08-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I emailed National Cycle to see if they plan on making a VStream for the F6B. Right now they only make them for regular Gold Wings. That windshield looks like it should provide the best overall wind protection. For the price they are asking I would want it to be a direct bolt on and wouldn't want to have to drill new holes for it to fit the F6B.

Scotrod
08-19-2014, 09:03 PM
No drillin. Might need some fender washers as the slots on GL shields are 'wider' than the 6's retaining washers

XKnight
08-20-2014, 10:03 AM
No drillin. Might need some fender washers as the slots on GL shields are 'wider' than the 6's retaining washers

Interesting! Have you installed one or know someone that did? If so, how do they like it and any issues after the install as far as the shield moving around due to the larger slots?

Scotrod
08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Do not have the NC shield, but,,,,,,,,,

The 'Baggershield" that was installed on my F6B when I got if from HOR was actually the GL version,,, Had 3 (might have been 5) slots that were about as wide as the F6B shield retaining washers. Went to Lowes and got some fenderwashers to make sure it was secure.

Ordered a 'F6B' Baggershield and the slots were narrower. OEM retaining washers fit fine.

Another difference is how far the 'ears' come down on each side of the shield. GL shield is designed to move with the GL adjustable hardware. The ears don't come down as far on the sides as an F6B shield.

GL Baggershield:

F6B Baggershield:

thunder217
08-21-2014, 04:58 PM
I started with this shield and was as satisfied as it could make it. I later purchased the Klox Work Shield which had a bunch of curvs in it and it allowed for a better air flow over my 6.1 frame on a mustang seat. So you have to take a lot into it. I like the curvy shield better. Of course the price is a big difference toooooo. :icon_redface:

XKnight
08-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I started with this shield and was as satisfied as it could make it. I later purchased the Klox Work Shield which had a bunch of curvs in it and it allowed for a better air flow over my 6.1 frame on a mustang seat. So you have to take a lot into it. I like the curvy shield better. Of course the price is a big difference toooooo. :icon_redface:

Which shield did you have? The VSrteam or the Baggershield? Just want to clarify since currently there is no VStream made specifically for the F6B.

bobbyf6b
08-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Here's a F6B with a Vstream shield. It was on a rental in Las Vegas.

Jabbasan
08-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks Bobbyf6b for the pic!!!

Scotrod
08-22-2014, 09:19 AM
EXCELLENT find, Bobby!!!! .notworthy. .notworthy. .notworthy.

That is a 'whole lotta shield'!!! :yikes:

Would love to test it out!!!

Jabbasan
08-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Think is going to next windshield now on to #4

XKnight
08-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Here's a F6B with a Vstream shield. It was on a rental in Las Vegas.

That's a lot of windshield for sure. Not crazy about the looks on the F6, but if it protects better than the others I'd give it a try if National Cycle decides to make one specifically for the F6.

bobbyf6b
09-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks. I took the pic. :icon_mrgreen:

billphoenix
09-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Anyone have any pics of the Vstream windshield installed on there F6B they could share. I am also interested In what you think of it. I had one on my GS adventure a couple of years ago and loved it. I can't seem to find a pic of one on an F6B

Here is what I ran across installing the VStream. I didn't use the hardware mounts, just the bolts. They seemed to flimsy.I just used my own washers and padded them with 3M Tape, but you could use some rubber too.

8364 83658366

The Vstream is a very solid windshield, and looks great because of it's vertical curves on each side. Plus it aims backward along with the flow of the bike, and the vent is nice when you need it.

Had mine for a year now with no problems.

Bill

Jabbasan
09-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Bill. Great pictures just what I was looking for. I will be ordering one this weekend.

XKnight
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Here is what I ran across installing the VStream. I didn't use the hardware mounts, just the bolts. They seemed to flimsy.I just used my own washers and padded them with 3M Tape, but you could use some rubber too.

8364 83658366

The Vstream is a very solid windshield, and looks great because of it's vertical curves on each side. Plus it aims backward along with the flow of the bike, and the vent is nice when you need it.

Had mine for a year now with no problems.

Bill

Thanks! That is very helpful indeed. I have a Klock Werks shield on the way, but if that doesn't work out I think I will try the Vstream.

I do have some questions. The stock F6B shield only has 3 mounting holes. I see 5 holes on the Vstream. Are the other two holes necessary for mounting the shield on the F6B and is that where you used the 3M tape for the extra screws? No drilling, right?

billphoenix
09-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks! That is very helpful indeed. I have a Klock Werks shield on the way, but if that doesn't work out I think I will try the Vstream.

I do have some questions. The stock F6B shield only has 3 mounting holes. I see 5 holes on the Vstream. Are the other two holes necessary for mounting the shield on the F6B and is that where you used the 3M tape for the extra screws? No drilling, right?

I used all 5 holes because it is a stronger hold. I used the 3M Tape to pad the washers against the shield on both sides, so the metal wouldn't maybe crack it. You could probably use rubber behind the washers, but I didn't have any handy.
I think I used stock screws, I think it had 3, but I used 5. Don't remember if I bought extra or just had them - it was a year ago.

I bought the Vstream Special Edition with the vent installed.

Very strong, nice curves, and works well. I look thru the top of the shield. Just my preference. If I want air in my face I open the vent.

fxdl2051
09-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Dealer was looking at one on trade. I had read Nat'l Cycles promo stuff and it was convincing. But, it was just too gawdem ugly and there was some distortion from all that twisted plastic looking through it. I've got a Clearview which I like, but will probably go with a taller shield if I do any coast-coast touring and need a completely quiet ws.

bobbyf6b
09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Hey Bill, what's your experience with distortion looking through it? How's it holding up with cleaning bugs and stuff off of it?

Jabbasan
09-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Vstream arrived, this is one thick shield. I will be installing it on the f6b this weekend

XKnight
09-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Vstream arrived, this is one thick shield. I will be installing it on the f6b this weekend

Did you get the regular Vstream or special edition? I have a regular on the way and this will be my 3rd shield. Keep us posted on the installation and how you like it.

Jabbasan
09-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Went with the special edition Vstream. Counting the stock shield this is my 5th. I have tried the Cee Baileys 13", F4 18" and the Madstad 15". I had the Vstream on my BMW GS Adventure and loved it. Very much an unconventional looking shield and not for everyone. So I am hoping this is my last one.

XKnight
09-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Went with the special edition Vstream. Counting the stock shield this is my 5th. I have tried the Cee Baileys 13", F4 18" and the Madstad 15". I had the Vstream on my BMW GS Adventure and loved it. Very much an unconventional looking shield and not for everyone. So I am hoping this is my last one.

Same here! I'm hoping the Vstream is the one for me. The shield arrived is at my house, but I'm traveling for work this week so won't be able to install it until the end of the week.

Including the stock shield this will be my 4th. The stock shield was completely worthless and lasted one entire weekend before getting replaced by a 19" Slipstreamer w/vent. The Slipstreamer was very good, but still had some buffeting around my ears at highway speeds and was made of Acrylic/Lucite. I realized I prefer Polycarbonate/Lexan due to its strength so decided to try a 14" Klock Werks Flare which works great for around town, but provides more wind than I like at highway speeds. So, I ordered the VStream w/vent based on multiple positive reviews by Goldwing owners. It's made of Polycarbonate/Lexan and should provide more protection than my Slipstreamer so am keeping my fingers crossed. I'll have it installed by this weekend and will be riding a few hundred miles with plenty of highway time so will know for sure soon.

Jabbasan
09-20-2014, 04:39 PM
X KNIGHT I Installed the Vstream this weekend. So I am 5'10" long torso. So I installed it with the 5 bolt configuration. I found this to be too low and I was eye level with the top of the windshield, which was annoying. Next I tried just three bolts (one in the middle and one each side) this allowed me to adjust the shield up a little. Do not adjust fully up or the bolt holes in the shield will stick up slightly above the the seal when you put the nose plastic back on. This configuration put the windshield edge just above eye level. Rode around the neighborhood hard to tell if this is going to be the one. Headed to Florida next weekend or the F6 so I will be able to give you a better opinion when I get back. One other thing the shield really leans back toward you, which takes a bit getting used to. Good luck with yours.

XKnight
09-21-2014, 05:01 PM
X KNIGHT I Installed the Vstream this weekend. So I am 5'10" long torso. So I installed it with the 5 bolt configuration. I found this to be too low and I was eye level with the top of the windshield, which was annoying. Next I tried just three bolts (one in the middle and one each side) this allowed me to adjust the shield up a little. Do not adjust fully up or the bolt holes in the shield will stick up slightly above the the seal when you put the nose plastic back on. This configuration put the windshield edge just above eye level. Rode around the neighborhood hard to tell if this is going to be the one. Headed to Florida next weekend or the F6 so I will be able to give you a better opinion when I get back. One other thing the shield really leans back toward you, which takes a bit getting used to. Good luck with yours.

Thanks! I installed my Vstream this weekend as well using the 3 hole method and have it about as high as the slots allow. Install was a breeze and the shield works great for me. I'm a bit shorter than you so look through the shield which is what I wanted for better wind protection. As advertised, the Vstream flows the air around the rider and I am no longer getting the buffeting/turbulence around my ears like before when I had the 19" Slipstreamer installed.

I think the Vstream is going to be perfect for me as my long distance shield. I'm taking a 1000+ mile ride to the Ozarks in few weeks so that will be the real test. This weekend I had the F6B up to 100 MPH with the Vstream on it and it's a very aerodynamic and quiet shield. It does shake a bit on top, but nothing that will bother me while riding.

billphoenix
10-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Bill, what's your experience with distortion looking through it? How's it holding up with cleaning bugs and stuff off of it?
No distortion at all. The V is to each side out of your view and isn't noticeable.
I use Turtle Wax Ice on the entire Bike including the windshield. Sometimes I use Plexus but it is too expensive to use everyday.
The lines of the VStream flow with the bike much better than just a flat looking shield.
Very happy with the VStream.