PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Repair or replace?

austin_tech
02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Picked up a huge nail (pic attached) in my stock rear tire on the way home from work yesterday. Had to pull over due to the thumping, and took some effort to get it out. It went in near the centerline of the tire, and definitely penetrated as I have a flat now.

Opinion: Take the tire to a shop for plug/repair, or simply replace the tire? I have ~3500 miles on it. Owner's manual recommends replace versus fix, but damn, only 3500 on this tire, seems like they could easily plug it.

Also, based on what the web offers, looks like it's relatively easy to lay the bike on the right side and remove/replace the tire, at least on GL1800's. Any issues doing this on the F6? Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

Deer Slayer
02-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Picked up a huge nail (pic attached) in my stock rear tire on the way home from work yesterday. Had to pull over due to the thumping, and took some effort to get it out. It went in near the centerline of the tire, and definitely penetrated as I have a flat now.

Opinion: Take the tire to a shop for plug/repair, or simply replace the tire? I have ~3500 miles on it. Owner's manual recommends replace versus fix, but damn, only 3500 on this tire, seems like they could easily plug it.

Also, based on what the web offers, looks like it's relatively easy to lay the bike on the right side and remove/replace the tire, at least on GL1800's. Any issues doing this on the F6? Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

:icon_deadhorse: Alot has been said! I pluged my flats for years before all the "experts" said it was a bad idea. Plugs get you home. The rubber type will pop out in time. Fiber will stay and may leak in time. A patch would be indicated depending on the size of the puncture item. Large nail or something like it may break a cord in the tire. If this happens, relpace the tire. Sorry it is your call. :cheers:

jkelley
02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Nothing wrong with a properly repaired tire.

I have done both replaced and or repaired depending on the location of the puncture. If in the center as you said, I would let a competent shop perform a proper repair. I have had very good luck with the "patch / plug" type plugs that have the round head attached to the plug.

buefchris
02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Sorry to see that. It seems you have the same luck as I. My bike went though 3 tires in a year's time picking up the same hardware you did. You can leave the bike on its centerstand, take off the back fascia and remove the wheel that way,it's not too hard.

MichaelG
02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Russ, I always carry a Stop n' Go plug gun kit in my saddlebags, so that if or when this ever happens, I can plug my tire, and be on the way.

I have a lot of experience plugging tires, and it can either work...or not...depending on if it is done right...or not. I used to tell people to save one of their old tires...and use it as a practice tire, to practice plugging tires, over and over again, until you become comfortable and confident in the practice.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3915-stop-go-tubeless-repair-kit?from_search=1

Once you get home, then is the time to make the decision as to whether to replace the tire, or keep on using it. I know...opinion differ, but on some ocassions I have used a plugged tire for 5K more miles.

YMMV :icon_wink:

GONRDN
02-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Been plugging mc tires since I been riding. Never had a problem. Of course that depends on where the hole is too.

jakec
02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Replace the tire, a plug is a temporary fix to get home or to the closest shop if your on a trip. It's not worth thinking or worrying about on future rides and if someone else rides with you you surely wouldn't want to put them in jepordy. I use my Goldwing for long trips and I switched to a car tire because I was tired of flats.

F6B-RICH
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
:yes: replace the tire :yes: .batman-smilie.

FlyinF
02-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Once I had just installed a new rear tire on ST1300 shortly thereafter picked up a sheet metal screw. Used the "mushroom" type plug and it lasted the life of the tire..........that plug took from Texas to Canada and back. Like they say its your call, there are many that go with repaired tires and back in the day that's all we did.

RickW
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I have plugged lots of them. Lot depends on the tire, where it is at and how big.
I got a nail in a rear on my Valkyrie once with 500 miles on it, plugged it and rode on it another 11,000 miles.
Always keep a repair kit in all the bikes.
Some people are cautious and will not do it, I just use caution.
It's your call.

Phantom
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
:popcorn:

I have plugged several tires as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewall or in the sidewall.

I have never used the following product but it looks like a solution ....

The demonstration is on a FRONT tire, that is impressive to me

http://youtu.be/4tQ6hFqifE8

Scotrod
02-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Due to location, it sounds like a patch may work. Won't really know until tire is removed from rim and damage completely inspected. Even then, many MC shops will not patch due to liability.

Would I attempt a repair on my MC tires? Maybe, but it depends on the puncture. (I'm partial to the 'sticky rope' plugs. Carry those and a small compressor in my saddlebags all the time)

As others have said, its really your call.

unsub
02-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

Hi there, if you're asking, I would definitely buy and mount a new tire. What's a 100 bucks or so? Have the old tire plugged by a shop and keep it for a spare if you have the space in your garage.

Keep in mind the shop will have to examine it and advise if it can even be repaired. A knowledgeable tire tech will give you the straight goods.

1951vbs
02-21-2014, 12:53 PM
I also keep a "Stop and Go" plug kit in my saddlebag but would use a plug only to get back home and change the tire.

If you do want to reuse it and the nail went straight in.... a plug should work as good as a patch from the inside and no need to take your tire off. It would be good practice to plug it anyway and see how it comes out. If you ride around town and not too many trips you could use it for a few thousand more miles and then replace it at say 8000. The rear tire wears faster than the front anyway so then next time you could replace both tires.

austin_tech
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Anyone else recommend removing the rear pannier panel to pull the tire? How hard is it? Tips?

Steve 0080
02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
+1 Ride on !!! lay bike over and remove the tire from the side….. if it is winter and you have nothing else to do then why not take the bike apart,,,,

austin_tech
02-21-2014, 09:11 PM
+1 Ride on !!! lay bike over and remove the tire from the side….. if it is winter and you have nothing else to do then why not take the bike apart,,,,

Ok, pulled rear panel off (along with the bracket and another component) and pulled the tire out the back up on center stand. It was easy, I watched the vids of laying the old girl on her side and I'm glad I didn't go that route.

New tire from dealer, another Bridgestone stock. Just came back from ride. Easy to remove/replace tire for any of you who haven't done this yet!!! Thanks to all for inputs. I did consider the plug/patch route and checked out options at the local auto shops, but I like the peace of mind with the solid tire.

Mustangjake
02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Hey that fell off my truck will u mail it back :banghead:

austin_tech
02-21-2014, 10:36 PM
:popcorn:

I have plugged several tires as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewall or in the sidewall.

I have never used the following product but it looks like a solution ....

The demonstration is on a FRONT tire, that is impressive to me

http://youtu.be/4tQ6hFqifE8

This looks pretty cool! Website says $30 for two bottles. So, if I get this correctly, this stuff not only "balances" your tires, it also seals them in the event of a puncture -- temporarily until you can deal with the issue and avoid a tow.

Anyone have any experience with Ride-On? Worth a look?

yellow rex
02-21-2014, 10:55 PM
I have patched a tire on my 1500 never had a problem for the life of the tire,
but on the f6b on the rear 500 miles I had a nail center of tread I replace it
just made me feel safer. But as Zackabilly said a good tire monitoring system
will let you plug your tire because you can always monitor the pressure.