PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading to Alaska this summer

Arkf6bRider
02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I've seen some forums of folks going to Alaska. Was wondering if anyone one from this group might be goin??

Arkf6brider

MichaelG
02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
I might be going to Alaska to this, but not on my F6B. I have other bikes to ride for that kind of Adventure riding.

Have you been there before, on a bike? I have, several times, all over Alaska. When are you "thinking" of going?

Arkf6bRider
02-23-2014, 03:57 PM
I have never been but would love to go. This has been on my bucket list for sometime. I have a KLR but would dread the thought of riding it that far. I would take the f6. But would not drive it to the arctic circle.

MichaelG
02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I have never been but would love to go. This has been on my bucket list for sometime. I have a KLR but would dread the thought of riding it that far. I would take the f6. But would not drive it to the arctic circle.

The KLR is a great bike for riding around Alaska. And it would have no problem making it from Arkansas to Alaska, of course, it depends on the current mileage on it, how it has been maintained, and if you got the doo-hickey fixed...and what year it is. So many variables.

The only real advantage to riding the F6B up there is the shaft drive, and the comfort. But expect to have the F6B takes some beating, and it will limit you as to what roads you can ride on. I have done it all the way UP...to Pridhoe Bay/Deadhorse..on my '03 Wing, and then again on my '04 Africa Twin (that is a Honda from Europe), and then again on my '12 Super Tenere', and then again on a friends R1150GS w/sidecar...in December.

Think about taking the KLR, as it would be real good on the roads up there. Or..buy a wee-strom...a Suzy V-Strom 650, which is about the best bike one can ride up to, and around Alaska. That way you can ride to Chicken, AK. and to the Top of the World Hwy...

Tip: I have always recommended to everyone that does not already have an Adventure bike...go to a motorcycle salvage yard, or a large...but cheap..used bike shop, and find an older Honda 650 or Yamaha 650, like the 650 Custom, or the Maxim 650, which have a shaft drive. Buy the bike for about $ 500.00. Equip it with a National Cycle windshield, some cheap throw-over saddlebags, some large engine crashbars, tune the bike, put on some Avon or Metzeler of Dunlop adventure tires, and ride it to Alaska. That way you do not worry about dropping it, having it get showered with gravel, breaking a headlight or three...or any of the other maladies that occur to bikes ridden around the Last Frontier.

When you get back home, sell the bike to another rider that wants to ride to Alaska, or back to the same shop you bought it from, for that same $ 500.00, because now it has all the added goodies.

It may cost you a few bucks to do this, but it is cheaper this way, than in rebilding and repainting your nice street bike. We generaslly call these "throw-away" bikes, but they serve a purpose.

Blotar
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Arkf6bRider, my son and two or three friends are shipping thier bikes to Seattle and flying to them this summer. From there its a lot of Yukon Terrritory, I think to get to Ankorage and points beyond. They will problably spend a week going and about 9 days coming back. Old Spice and I wouldl like to meet them in the Pacific Northwest as they return and accompany them back to Texas. Sounds like soooo much fun!
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

Arkf6bRider
02-23-2014, 09:53 PM
My KLR 650 is a 2012, with only 7000 miles. Only change hs been a Cbaily windscreen. I enjoy the bike, I know it would make the trip, i just dont think I could.
I'm a longtime wing rider and thats what I use for long trips. I sure would hate to beat up my new f6. However the wing would make the trip easier on the old body.
I even considered driving to Anchorage, renting a klr for a week or so. Still kicking it around.

unsub
02-23-2014, 10:30 PM

I even considered driving to Anchorage, renting a klr for a week or so. Still kicking it around.

You could easily trailer your KLR with the wing.:icon_wink:

Mustangjake
02-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Myself and 2 buddy's are planing it from Fl,
I am not sure it will happen

Philbert40
02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Alaska is a bucket list ride of the 1st magnitude. But, Sparky is correct....the roads up around and back are more suited to adventure style bikes. Be ready for mud, deep gravel, ruts, pot holes and killer logging trucks.

Also be ready for some of the most magnificent scenery you will ever see! Just thinking about it makes me want to go again.