PDA

View Full Version : F6B Cant Get it Up

Blotar
02-24-2014, 08:06 PM
4191I have searched the forum and I am convinced that I need a belly pan.
(ordered one from Wings Stuff SS)
Now my biggest question is how do I get the big machine off the ground without tearing up the Belly Pan? My friend 'The Wizard' taught me how to raise Valkyries with a winch in the ceiling from the sissy bar, but I am not sure the grab rails would handle this activity. I have thought about a 'spreader bar' but so far no real solution. The engine is below the frame rails and has a ridge along the parting line. Now with the belly pan on the way I just dont see how this is possible without removing the belly pan each time and using the 1/2" rubber shims to put the bike on the jack.
has anyone ever hoisted an F6B with a cable in the ceiling? I know it sounds wierd, but It really is handy when it works.
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
02-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Put the bike on the centerstand....install the belly pan...and you are done. When you want to change oil and filter...remove the front section of the belly pan, change oil and filter, reinstall front section of belly pan.

Why is that so hard ? Seriously.

If you have a need to raise the bike up higher than the centerstand can get it up, then use a bike lift. The belly pan CAN stay in place, when using a bike lift. I mean, for Pete's sake (who is this pete guy anyway), look at the picture of my bike, up 4 feet in the air, supported by iron I-beams, on a car lift, and the entire bike is sitting on the belly pan.

Blotar
02-24-2014, 08:46 PM
doesn't the I-Beam crush the belly pan at the parting line on the engine? And what about the wiggle side to side. (shims?)
I went to a huge effort to put a hoist in the ceiling and I really would like to use it, but it may be foolish with the F6B.
Blotar"batsmiley"

Steve 0080
02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I’ll admit I have seen an Aprilla hung from the ceiling on 2x6 floor joists but a 1000 lb. real motorcycle…we need what ever you are smoking…..

+1 Miles

Blotar
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM
OK, If I were young again... but the Valkyrie is a real motorcycle! The ceiling has a laminated 24" tall beam in the center of the bldg. and I hand wrought two 1" X 1/4" flat bars to go around the hoist bar and lag bolts into the custom beam. (very strong) The amazing part is how the Sissy Bar/Luggage rack w/4 ea 1/4" bolts can pick up half of the bike from the rear without shearing. The front wheel is held in a chock and if the wheel chock and hoist are properly spaced apart it is very secure. I know how to install the belly pan. This idea is for other stuff later on down the road.

MichaelG
02-24-2014, 09:22 PM
doesn't the I-Beam crush the belly pan at the parting line on the engine? And what about the wiggle side to side. (shims?)
I went to a huge effort to put a hoist in the ceiling and I really would like to use it, but it may be foolish with the F6B.
Blotar"batsmiley"

Blotar, the I-beam does NOT crush the belly pan...and ironically...I am using the stainless steel belly pan that has the louvers in it. When my bike is on this lift, the bike is absolutely rock solid. No wiggle from side to side at all. I have used floor lifts...normal motorcycle lifts, for many years, and none of them were as solid as this, for lifting a bike, or for how the bike feels on the lift.

Now, I am not expecting that you are going to go out and buy a automotive style 9000 lb. asymetrical arm car lift. I would think you can do what the vast majority of other riders do, and buy a floor motorcycle lift, that can slide under the bike, and lift the bike up 2 feet in the air. That is what most people use to change tires, etc.

As for using your ceiling hoist to lift this 900 lb. bike, that may be extreme. And as you wondered, where would you lift the bike from?
Now that I see the ceiling hoist you have, and the 24" laminated beam, that is very strong, but...WHY lift a bike like that.

Your next question you pose is...what about lifting the bike for all the other stuff you need to install. To be honest, there is NO need to raise this bike...at all...to install 99% of the accessories we all buy.

For $ 50.00 to $ 250.00 you can buy a good motorcycle floor lift, that will suit 93.13149 % of the needs you have.

If your new belly pan is installed correctly, there will NOT be a problem sliding a motorcycle floor lift under it, and lifting this bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html

I also have one of these, as I have several bikes, and I use this one to store one of the bikes in the straight up position, for Winter storage.

Mustangjake
02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Man I just flip mine over on the handlebars and sissy bar when I want to work on it!
Wait a minute I don't want to work on it! That's why I bought it.

PS I love the Green

Blotar
02-24-2014, 09:49 PM
OK, OK... I feel the heat. I am an acomplished motorcycle mechanic and use my motorcycle floor jack almost daily and am well versed in how to do it. but when you want to get under the bike, unencumbered by a jack this is a great way to do it, provided there is a technique that is safe and proven. One button movement in very small increments. I was just hoping that someone knew how to lift an F6B from the ceiling. I am really having fun though and I do appreciate all the responses. Especially the one that says I can use my floor jack with the belly pan in place. Thanks, Miles!
(did you see the Bat on the gas cap cover?)

Ericb445
02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
If I where you "hung up" on hanging your wing:icon_lol: I would rig up some straps to go around the saddle bag crash bars. That should do the trick for the rear.

Cruiser
02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
I have been working on Goldwings for 7 years and never needed a lift.

GONRDN
02-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I would just put the cables through the wheels and hang the bike upside down. Think of the possibilities.

Jimmytee
10-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Got a question. Just installed the Mcguyver belly pan. If I pu a jack under the bike , in front of the coolant reservoir, the bike is rear heavy. Has anyone lifted under the coolant reservoir? :shrug:

Steve 0080
10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I put my jack back on the rear shock swing arm and lift the bike level...keep moving your jack until the bike come up level!!!

Jimmytee
10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I put my jack back on the rear shock swing arm and lift the bike level...keep moving your jack until the bike come up level!!!

:icon_rolleyes: I just went and picked up a Harbor Freight Table lift :cheers:

Injun Joe
10-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I would not have thought the belly pan strong enough to withstand a lift without denting/bulging. I guess I'll try it...

seadog
10-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I would not have thought the belly pan strong enough to withstand a lift without denting/bulging. I guess I'll try it...

But the bolts that hold the belly pan are not. The bolts they use for the belly pan aren't there for that purpose, they are part of the exhaust system and if you break one you have problems.

Pseudo-Fed
10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Wow. I thought this thread was somehow going to be about F6B impotence. I was going to have to disagree.

lurking luddite
10-07-2015, 06:29 AM
could you not take off the seat and use slings from the frame to the winch? Or is that just a sub frame?