PDA

View Full Version : Give up on the hog

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
We are giving up on our CVO Ultra Classic. Wife has had enough.
We are very close to getting our new F6B. All our riding is two up. There is still six feet of snow on the ground here so test drives are not an option.
Someone out there please reassure us this is a good move. Can't stand the Harley any longer, and nearly melted the thing down in Florida last week again.
This will be our first Wing and we are hoping this one is a keeper. :yes::icon_biggrin:

Thanks

1951vbs
02-26-2014, 08:26 PM
We are very close to getting our new F6B. All our riding is two up. There is still six feet of snow on the ground here so test drives are not an option.
Someone out there please reassure us this is a good move. Can't stand the Harley any longer, and nearly melted the thing down in Florida last week again.
This will be our first Wing and we are hoping this one is a keeper. :yes::icon_biggrin:

Thanks

Never fear you will be very pleased. Many members here have switched from HD to F6B and I don't think anyone wants to go back. Sweet engine, low center of gravity and water cooling!:041:

FlyinF
02-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Never owned a Harley but have been riding since 1962 and can tell you and your wife that you will really enjoy the ride. You will probably want to experiment with windshield and seat to fine tune to your body...........and coming from a Harley you might want a different sounding exhaust.

52edub
02-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Well the F6B will be a lot cooler, but you will miss some stuff. No cruise control, not as nice stereo and of course no cool Honda pirate clothes. GLWS and you will love the F6B

coffee_weasle
02-26-2014, 08:30 PM
i traded my '08 electaglide ultra classic for my f6b,

i don't regret it,
i would do it again in a heart beat

i only have to buy oil/filters and tires now

i absolutely love the f6b

be careful, it's so smooth and quiet that i was close to a few speeding tickets

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Never fear you will be very pleased. Many members here have switched from HD to F6B and I don't think anyone wants to go back. Sweet engine, low center of gravity and water cooling!:041:

Thanks for your input. Can't wait to see what we have been missing.

Phantom
02-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks

First ... 'welcome gang' to the site

Second, take a look at a poll that we have currently running.

Look at whom the #1 buyers for the F6B are and then look at the #2 buyers

Click on link below, should answer your question :icon_cool::yes:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?453-Poll-Your-Previous-Motorcycle-before-the-F6B

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
i traded my '08 electaglide ultra classic for my f6b,

i don't regret it,
i would do it again in a heart beat

i only have to buy oil/filters and tires now

i absolutely love the f6b

be careful, it's so smooth and quiet that i was close to a few speeding tickets

Thanks for your input. Definitely tired of putting money in the Harley to make it right. Bought the CVO because it was supposed to be the best. Worst bike we ever had and we have had many bikes. Tires and oil will be a relief.
For every 2000km on a Harley you need 600 bucks for damage. lol

FlaMike
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Welcome from Fla.

6 Hd's in my past and the F6B makes me forget all about em. No guarantee but I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with smooth power this bike provides.
This bike is about riding.

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Never owned a Harley but have been riding since 1962 and can tell you and your wife that you will really enjoy the ride. You will probably want to experiment with windshield and seat to fine tune to your body...........and coming from a Harley you might want a different sounding exhaust.

We will add the backrest right away and the Cobra exhaust slipons will be the answer. The dealer showed them to me today. I will miss the cruise control, and will add the Honda heated grips. The rest should be good for starters. Thanks for the reply

Steve 0080
02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
I have my HD in the garage on a jack… enough said !

JBnAZ
02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
If you are leaving an ultra why not look at a gold wing instead of the F6B? I had an 08 street glide for 4 years and now the F6B. The biggest plus for me is performance - of the drive train, motor and suspension. We bought the deluxe and I added the back rest riser and my wife loves it. You may want an upgraded windscreen, I picked the madstad which works great but looks a little mechanical.

I enjoyed riding my street glide but the frame and stock suspension suck in the twisties. I ride a bit aggressively and the F6B shines when pushed hard. It's like an overweight sport touring cruiser all in one.

Whichever ride you pick - enjoy. You can't beat either the gold wing or F6B for the fun factor.

JB

chipmaker
02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Never had any quality issues with my Harleys, but my wife is a lot more comfy on the F6B with taller back rest. Also, with the flat 6, u never have to think twice about rolling passes, it just plain goes.

MichaelG
02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Bosman1, I have to aree with what JBnAZ said...you may want to think about a full Goldwing 1800, as it is the exact same engine, trans, rear diff, frame, etc, etc, etc, as the F6B, but it also has the rear trunk for carrying more stuff when riding two up, and...it has a much better backrest for the passenger....and it has electronic cruise control. You can get the next level up that also has heated hand grips...a heated seat...blah blah blah.

In 2014, the all Blacked out Goldwing 1800, has black wheels that match the F6B, and a blacked out engine that matches the F6B. It is more money, but condiering what you have spent on the HD, you only spend it ONCE on a Honda product, and it lasts for 300,000 to 500,000 miles, or...in your world...480,000 kilometers to 800,000 kilometers.

To me....as a former HD rider with more than 600,000 miles on HDs, if I was going to buy a bike for two up riding, it would be a full Goldwing 1800, for the passenger comfort, and the stock amenities on the bike.

BUT...you may prefer the styling of the F6B. :shrug:

opas ride
02-26-2014, 09:43 PM
If you are leaving an ultra why not look at a gold wing instead of the F6B? I had an 08 street glide for 4 years and now the F6B. The biggest plus for me is performance - of the drive train, motor and suspension. We bought the deluxe and I added the back rest riser and my wife loves it. You may want an upgraded windscreen, I picked the madstad which works great but looks a little mechanical.

I enjoyed riding my street glide but the frame and stock suspension suck in the twisties. I ride a bit aggressively and the F6B shines when pushed hard. It's like an overweight sport touring cruiser all in one.

Whichever ride you pick - enjoy. You can't beat either the gold wing or F6B for the fun factor.

JB

I love my F6B and it fits my style of riding fine..But why not also check out a new Goldwing if you want all the "whistle's and bells" that you might be used to...I came off a Victory Vision Tour, which was great and easily "blew the doors off" any HD I ever ran!!...But my needs changed and I went with the F6B..As said on above posts you will probably want to add some things, but you cannot go wrong with a Honda product in my judgment...

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
I have my HD in the garage on a jack… enough said !

CVO charge to visa only lol

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 09:59 PM
I love my F6B and it fits my style of riding fine..But why not also check out a new Goldwing if you want all the "whistle's and bells" that you might be used to...I came off a Victory Vision Tour, which was great and easily "blew the doors off" any HD I ever ran!!...But my needs changed and I went with the F6B..As said on above posts you will probably want to add some things, but you cannot go wrong with a Honda product in my judgment...

Looked at the big wing. I like the looks of the F6B. We have a trailer so our luggage needs will be met. i do ride somewhat aggressive so this fits nicely.

Phantom
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
You have 18 hours to bid on this one ...

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1802-F6B-with-1-880-miles-on-E-Bay

CarolinaRider
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
As a big guy its the F6B over the Full wing for me. I have only ridden a full wing once and I was cramped. Also 95% of my riding is 1 up. My wife isn't interested and understands my purpose for having a bike. It works for now so why not go with that.

But if I rode 2 up and were smaller I think the full wing is a now brainer will all the goodies you can get stock.

Good Luck with your choice, either way its a fun one to make.

Bosman1
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Bosman1, I have to aree with what JBnAZ said...you may want to think about a full Goldwing 1800, as it is the exact same engine, trans, rear diff, frame, etc, etc, etc, as the F6B, but it also has the rear trunk for carrying more stuff when riding two up, and...it has a much better backrest for the passenger....and it has electronic cruise control. You can get the next level up that also has heated hand grips...a heated seat...blah blah blah.

In 2014, the all Blacked out Goldwing 1800, has black wheels that match the F6B, and a blacked out engine that matches the F6B. It is more money, but condiering what you have spent on the HD, you only spend it ONCE on a Honda product, and it lasts for 300,000 to 500,000 miles, or...in your world...480,000 kilometers to 800,000 kilometers.

To me....as a former HD rider with more than 600,000 miles on HDs, if I was going to buy a bike for two up riding, it would be a full Goldwing 1800, for the passenger comfort, and the stock amenities on the bike.

BUT...you may prefer the styling of the F6B. :shrug:

My wife like the freedom to move around in the back. With a backrest and open space, I believe she will be happy. We pull a bike triler when we load for the weekens, so all will be good. I like the look of the F6B better. It looks like a Harley eating machine. lol

jlyon
02-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Bosman,

I have both.... They are different bikes, with completely different souls....

Sometimes I just want to ride something with a little more attitude, so I didn't ditch the Harley...

I do have to say, I think the F6B will rapidly become my go-to bike though....

Like the difference between chocolate and vanilla... they're both good, but each satisfies a different urge...

Enjoy whichever you get (F6B or full wing)... ride safe :P

Joe

JBnAZ
02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I owned a full wing 1800 and my wife regularly fell asleep on the back, so I sold it. It was great on really long rides but a tad huge around town, or at least it felt that way. She loves the F6B and with the backrest riser she feels safe and enjoys the open feeling.

It is a Harely eater. Rode 150 miles with friends last weekend and had fun watching them in my side view mirrors as we ate up the twisties. I may consider a super brace for the front forks, we'll see.

I do giggle when I watch 15 or 20 Harley riders stop and gander the F6B when stopped at the local biker hang out. Most of the comments are that "Honda got that right". Although the other comment I get regularly is "is that thing running?" :). I do have stock pipes. Considering the black Bassanis - not sure if they drone at speed.

Ideal AZ biking weather is right around the corner and AZ bike week starts in April. I'm pretty excited to take 5 days in a row to ride.

Bosman1 - seeing as you like to ride aggressively you'll have a blast on the F6B.

jkelley
02-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Man O Man, I been where you are!

Still have a CVO Road Glide but the F6B is my favorite, I may very well let the road glide go this year. Contrary to the statements some have made here, I have owned many Harleys and not once had a major issue that was not caused by ME:shock:
The plusses for the Harley for me were the cruise, riding position, and overall comfort of the ergonomics. My CVO runs as well or better than my F6B and gets comparable mileage. The Harley was easier to work on should you need to.
The negatives of the Harley: I got tired of the noise over the many years I had them!

The F6B has a rock solid proven platform, Quiet, and smooth!!!!!!!!!

The bad: Paint quality, hard to work on ( but seldom need to ) Normal Maint is as easy, except air filter changes. Lack of cruise. ( but can be added! ) Overall I love riding the F6B, the more I ride it the more I like it! The riding position is still somewhat of a struggle for me to get used to since I spent many years on a Harley with forward controls, but I think with Highway pegs, I can live with it!

hiflyer
02-27-2014, 09:21 AM
I've owned more Harley's than anything else, but until they come out with something radically different than what is offered, I won't be going back. The continued increase of displacement and lean settings over the last several years resulted in too much engine heat for me. Hated it. I was never the guy that would buy a new bike only to make all the engine changes that people make. Heritage is one thing, but the times have changed. I was in a Harley dealership picking up the tour pak I installed on my F6, and I asked the guy "Why don't they put that V-Rod motor in a touring bike? He said "They don't break, we would lose too much money in the shop, and Harley knows that." For me, it's about the enjoyment of motorcycling. Not being part of a fad. To each his own.

kjelders
02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
In 2007 I bought $22k worth of HD t-shirts.................and a bike came with it!

I did enjoy my Ultra Classic, but went back to a Wing and now the F6B.

4DI2D
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
'06 Black Cherry Pearl Night Train.
Loved it. Broke a Valkyrie owners heart on the Geico dyno drag trailer, TWICE!
Set off car alarms up and down the block. Now it sits on a jack in someone else's garage, and I ride an F6B.
No way I would ever go back. Oil changes went from$350 to $26, more time to ride.

Good luck, have fun!

alscott42
02-28-2014, 12:36 AM

Thanks

I traded a 2013 Harley Roadglide Ultra for my F6B. Believe me I have no regrets.

F4 Customs
02-28-2014, 11:46 AM

Bosman, if you do decide to experiment, ask around the forum and check out our website www.f4customs.com and see what we have to offer. There are a lot of choices out there, we think we have a great windshield! Be glad to answer any questions about them once you begin your journey. Ride safe!

ED209
03-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I switched from a Vtwin, not a Harley lastly, but a Yamaha Stratoliner with a built engine. Yes I had several Harleys in the past also. The big thing for me was to get away from vtwins and air cooled motors all together.

If I feel the need to have an attitude type behavior .batman-smilie. than I just wear my oldest nastiest leathers and run the short windshield. :moon:

This F6B has a lot of cool factor. "coffee"

erazor55
03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Never had any quality issues with my Harleys, but my wife is a lot more comfy on the F6B with taller back rest. Also, with the flat 6, u never have to think twice about rolling passes, it just plain goes.

+1 on roll on passing!

austin_tech
03-02-2014, 12:40 AM
+1 on roll on passing!

In my commute I have a long, steep incline on the way home (~ half a mile?). Friday I was riding home and rolled on in 5th, uphill, and still managed to accelerate while in OD going up a steep incline. Lots of power! I do wish 5th was taller or we had 6th, though ... I dislike the buzziness (~3K RPM) when going 70+.

MichaelG
03-02-2014, 12:54 AM
In my commute I have a long, steep incline on the way home (~ half a mile?). Friday I was riding home and rolled on in 5th, uphill, and still managed to accelerate while in OD going up a steep incline. Lots of power! I do wish 5th was taller or we had 6th, though ... I dislike the buzziness (~3K RPM) when going 70+.

Russ, if you have a buzziness when going 70+ mph, in 5th gear....something is not right. These bikes are as smooth as glass at 70+ mph, in 5th gear.
It might be the road surface you are on...but it should not be the bike.