PDA

View Full Version : Dumb things to do with your F6B

austin_tech
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
You know, this bike just feels like an overweight sportbike and I think sometimes I feel like I'm on my old CBR with her. I can't give a good reason why, but yesterday I had parked the F6B up close on a sidewalk at lunch, and when I was leaving I thought it would be a good idea to just hop the 'old girl right on off the curb -- a short curb at that.

DON'T DO THIS.

Well, you know what happened. A gut-sickening THUNK as I went off the curb as the engine case slammed down. What the hell was I thinking? I found a parking spot and inspected, hoping to hell not to see a pool of oil. Picture below. The red was paint from the curb (fire lane). Can someone snap a pic of their (non-slammed, non-bellypanned) engine case and post to this thread, so I can compare? Did I lose anything during this idiotic maneuver? She didn't lose any fluids overnight, I've checked multiple times, I'm hoping all is well.

Oh, and before anyone says "next time, give her throttle and lean back ...", that wasn't an option in this scenario due to the layout. Also, I don't think a belly pan would have helped here. It would have been smashed by this 1,000lb anvil.

Phantom
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
You know, this bike just feels like an overweight sportbike and I think sometimes I feel like I'm on my old CBR with her. I can't give a good reason why, but yesterday I had parked the F6B up close on a sidewalk at lunch, and when I was leaving I thought it would be a good idea to just hop the 'old girl right on off the curb -- a short curb at that.

DON'T DO THIS.

Well, you know what happened. A gut-sickening THUNK as I went off the curb as the engine case slammed down. What the hell was I thinking? I found a parking spot and inspected, hoping to hell not to see a pool of oil. Picture below. The red was paint from the curb (fire lane). Can someone snap a pic of their (non-slammed, non-bellypanned) engine case and post to this thread, so I can compare? Did I lose anything during this idiotic maneuver? She didn't lose any fluids overnight, I've checked multiple times, I'm hoping all is well.

Oh, and before anyone says "next time, give her throttle and lean back ...", that wasn't an option in this scenario due to the layout. Also, I don't think a belly pan would have helped here. It would have been smashed by this 1,000lb anvil.

Looks normal , you were very lucky !!!! keep an eye on it for seepage and keep your fingers crossed.

I know of a Goldwing owner that CRACKED the cases when he did the same thing, must have been a taller curb.

Cool Hand Luke
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...:icon_lol:

Scotrod
02-28-2014, 11:26 AM
A belly pan won't prevent stuff like that as it's caused by the loose nut behind the bars! :crackup:

stepbill
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
A belly pan won't prevent stuff like that as it's caused by the loose nut behind the bars! :crackup:

:lolup: I love this board!!!!

motoman
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Wow. :yikes:

Next time, just try jumping onto your F6B from the back, like the Lone Ranger in an old Western movie.

Equally impressive, and much less damage to the bike, although there's a good chance you'll give your saddlebags a pretty good kick.

But Hell, at least they're only plastic, and if you make it, it will very impressive. :041:

Scotrod
02-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Nah,,,, seriously,,, glad you didn't get hurt and hopefully the bike didn't either!

I have a belly pan to help keep projectiles from taking out my overflow reservoir,,, (And it helps to keep the bottom of the engine a little cleaner)

unsub
02-28-2014, 01:37 PM
You dodged a bullet here. The silver lining in this this incident is that it will stay indelibly burned into your consciousness and red flags will be sent up immediately prior to the "next time".......er..wait a minute, you were also parked in a fire lane?:nono: I wonder what hoses would look like draped over an F6B? Lol...Ride safe.

austin_tech
02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Next time, just try jumping onto your F6B from the back, like the Lone Ranger in an old Western movie.

Um, you mean you guys don't already do that every time? :)

austin_tech
02-28-2014, 02:02 PM
You dodged a bullet here. The silver lining in this this incident is that it will stay indelibly burned into your consciousness . . .

The silver lining is the humility I have in telling the story might stop one of you guys from doing something similar and having a worse outcome, too :)

Scotrod
02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
You dodged a bullet here. The silver lining in this this incident is that it will stay indelibly burned into your consciousness ,,,,,,,,,.

I AGREE!!!

To commemorate,,, A-Tech needs,,, heck,,,, DESERVES a special nickname for this most recent occurrence,,, :stirthepot:

What would be fitting???

Lowrider?

Curb-Killa?

JustScrapinBy?

NoAirJordan?

What cha think folks??? There's gotta be SOMETHING out there that would 'fit' and still be FUN!!! :icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
I AGREE!!!

To commemorate,,, A-Tech needs,,, heck,,,, DESERVES a special nickname for this most recent occurrence,,, :stirthepot:

What would be fitting???

Lowrider?

Curb-Killa?

JustScrapinBy?

NoAirJordan?

What cha think folks??? There's gotta be SOMETHING out there that would 'fit' and still be FUN!!! :icon_biggrin:

How about......Curby ! :yikes:

Phantom
02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I AGREE!!!

What would be fitting???

Lowrider?

Curb-Killa?

JustScrapinBy?

NoAirJordan?

:icon_laugh: It's always nice to poke at each other in good humor, that's the camaraderie that i love about the board. Making the best of a bad situation.

i am glad that Austin-Tech posted this, he may have saved someone else from doing the same, Thanks Austin-tech :icon_cool::yes:

FlaMike
02-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Glad your bike is okay. Have you ever considered getting a BMW GS? F6B makes a terrible dual sport bike !! (Okay, I'm done)

We have some mean a$$ speed bumps in Fla, that might have done the same thing. I encountered one on my RoadKing and got away with just a broken kickstand spring. Most inconvenient to have kickstand flopping around, but it was lesson learned.

F6BPDX
02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Nice F6B, ya ever take it off any sweet jumps?

naga viper
02-28-2014, 06:48 PM
The reddish pinkl in the picture is antifreeze.
Hopefully all is ok.

Phantom
02-28-2014, 06:51 PM
The reddish pinkl in the picture is antifreeze.
Hopefully all is ok.

"The red was paint from the curb (fire lane)"

1951vbs
02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
:icon_laugh: It's always nice to poke at each other in good humor, that's the camaraderie that i love about the board. Making the best of a bad situation.

i am glad that Austin-Tech posted this, he may have saved someone else from doing the same, Thanks Austin-tech :icon_cool::yes:

I am also glad that Austin-Tech posted this. However and not to say they told you so but: a few days ago on a thread about lowering a F6B it was mentioned that even at stock height you will hit the engine cases if you go off a curb and I also think it was mentioned in one of the belly pan threads. Glad it looks like you just barely made it.

Phantom
02-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I am also glad that Austin-Tech posted this. However and not to say they told you so but: a few days ago on a thread about lowering a F6B it was mentioned that even at stock height you will hit the engine cases if you go off a curb and I also think it was mentioned in one of the belly pan threads. Glad it looks like you just barely made it.

Sometimes we just need to find out for ourselves :icon_redface:

Post #13 on the following thread .....

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1733-The-F6B-is-lowered&highlight=lowering

Ericb445
02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
That must have made an awful sound..Im glad you didn't crack anything.

Deer Slayer
02-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Daayyuuuummm ! Don't hold back. He with out sin cast the first stone. Yes I have done strange things also..:yikes:

Deer Slayer
02-28-2014, 10:15 PM
How about......Curby ! :yikes:

Yup! Amen Miles.:cheers:

FlyinF
02-28-2014, 11:36 PM
A belly pan would have distributed the load.

MSGT-R
03-01-2014, 11:55 AM
An aluminum belly pan would have just been ripped to shit.

I did this awhile back, but on a GL1100 Interstate that had a lot more ground clearance. I gunned it and cleared the curb to the delight of the diners in Dennys..:icon_mrgreen: