PDA

View Full Version : It's geting time to service my bike

Hook
03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
By the book its time for me to do this service but do I need to do it now?? First of all I change my oil at 4000 period...My bike now has 12000 mile and the book tells me I need to change the Air filter now I know it going to be a pain. What I read on one of your posts I should be good up to 25000 miles?? At 16000 miles I should change the plugs too..If I put a new K&n filter and NGK Iridium spark plugs I should be able to get about 50000 miles of life from this set up. Did I read this correctly?? Bike run great now and planning to ride to Sturgis in aug. should put about 4000+ round trip. So should I wait and do my UP GRADES before I leave and should put me at about 16-17000 miles on the bike. I need some input please :banghead:

opas ride
03-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Miles is the guy that answer can your questions correctly...But, I understand the K&N air filter is good,under normal riding condtions, for at least 40/50,000 miles...I have talked with GW owners, and others, on their web-site that say the stock air filter is good for 25/30,000 miles. I would certainly check these facts first before changing out this filter as I understand it is a real PITA for the novice...I had a K&N put in my F6B when it was apart for painting, and unless something goes "haywire" I do not plan on changing it for a long time...I personally do not like to go the 4000 miles before changing first oil, doing mine at 800 miles, but that is my choice right or wrong, and I plan to change it every 3/4000 miles after that.....Too each his own as they say!!

MichaelG
03-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Okay, here I am to Hook you up...(pun intended). :duck:
Your stock OEM air filter and spark plugs are fine to leave in the bike until the bike hits 20K...up to 25K.

Given where you live, and that there is no extreme weather conditions, like super dusty, super cold, etc.....you are really okay to leave the air filter and spark plugs alone until that time....20K to 25K.

Then...at the exact same time (being facetious here) you can change the air filter and the spark plugs...and if you install a K&N air filter, and install NGK Iridium spark plugs......then...and only then....you can leave both of those items in the bike for a full 75K miles. (or 1 year, whichever comes first) :icon_mrgreen:

Okay, that was a joke, but you really can leave them in the bike for a full 75,000 miles. When you do remove the NGK Iridium spark plugs from the bike, that then have 75K miles on them, you will be surprised as to how well the plugs still look. But go ahead and put new ones in anyway...every 75,000 miles.
As for the K&N air filter....when you remove it with 75K miles on it, just clean it...recharge it with filter oil...and put it right back in the bike.

If you do both of these tasks every 75K miles, it is easy to remember.

BTW, when you do remove those OEM spaerk plugs that you bike came with, please tell us what plugs WERE in there, as I want to know.
Mine had the ND plugs in it, and I am not a fan of ND plugs. Despite what everyone else on the plant Earth may tell you, this bike runs much better with NGK Iridium spark plugs in it. :039:

Hook
03-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Miles thanks for the info I was going to pm you my question but I thought I would throw it out for everybody:biggthumpup: ....and I do know the air filter is a PITA...Wheres a good place with good prices for the plugs and filter??

BARRYS770
03-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Okay, here I am to Hook you up...(pun intended). :duck:
Your stock OEM air filter and spark plugs are fine to leave in the bike until the bike hits 20K...up to 25K.

Given where you live, and that there is no extreme weather conditions, like super dusty, super cold, etc.....you are really okay to leave the air filter and spark plugs alone until that time....20K to 25K.

Then...at the exact same time (being facetious here) you can change the air filter and the spark plugs...and if you install a K&N air filter, and install NGK Iridium spark plugs......then...and only then....you can leave both of those items in the bike for a full 75K miles. (or 1 year, whichever comes first) :icon_mrgreen:

Okay, that was a joke, but you really can leave them in the bike for a full 75,000 miles. When you do remove the NGK Iridium spark plugs from the bike, that then have 75K miles on them, you will be surprised as to how well the plugs still look. But go ahead and put new ones in anyway...every 75,000 miles.
As for the K&N air filter....when you remove it with 75K miles on it, just clean it...recharge it with filter oil...and put it right back in the bike.

If you do both of these tasks every 75K miles, it is easy to remember.

BTW, when you do remove those OEM spaerk plugs that you bike came with, please tell us what plugs WERE in there, as I want to know.
Mine had the ND plugs in it, and I am not a fan of ND plugs. Despite what everyone else on the plant Earth may tell you, this bike runs much better with NGK Iridium spark plugs in it. :039:

I'd like to add that you should put a some anti seize compound on the threads of the plugs before you install then. And make sure that the anti seize the you use is O2 sensor safe. In addition, it's a good idea to put anti seize compound on any fastener that's screwed into aluminum.

Barry

opas ride
03-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Miles, what is the number on the Iridium plugs?..Wrote it down and now cannot find it....Thanks

MichaelG
03-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Miles thanks for the info I was going to pm you my question but I thought I would throw it out for everybody:biggthumpup: ....and I do know the air filter is a PITA...Wheres a good place with good prices for the plugs and filter??

Hook, why not try one or several of our forum sponsors, like WingStuff...or Value Accessories...or any of the others listed on the Home Page ?

http://wingstuff.com/products/1333-k-n-high-flow-lifetime-air-filter-for-gl1800-f6b?from_search=1

I could not find the NGK Iridium spark plugs with WingStuff, so you may need to look elsewhere.

Opas Ride, here is the part number for those NGK Iridium spark plugs:

NGK BKR6EIX-11, and the part number used by NGK is: 3764

Trust me when I say to gap them at 0.040 "

And folks, when you open the boxes for the spark plugs, there is a 93.14159 % chance that they will already be gapped to the proper spec.
It is wise to check, to be sure, but also be careful with the very thin electrode, as it is thin compared to a normal spark plug.

erazor55
03-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Hook, why not try one or several of our forum sponsors, like WingStuff...or Value Accessories...or any of the others listed on the Home Page ?

http://wingstuff.com/products/1333-k-n-high-flow-lifetime-air-filter-for-gl1800-f6b?from_search=1

I could not find the NGK Iridium spark plugs with WingStuff, so you may need to look elsewhere.

Opas Ride, here is the part number for those NGK Iridium spark plugs:

NGK BKR6EIX-11, and the part number used by NGK is: 3764

Trust me when I say to gap them at 0.040 "
Miles -
On your recommendations re: cold hesitation I purchased NGK plugs. I went to replace them, and already had NGK plugs stock.
FYI

MichaelG
03-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Miles -
On your recommendations re: cold hesitation I purchased NGK plugs. I went to replace them, and already had NGK plugs stock.
FYI

Thank you for that info. Shows that Honda used ND plugs in some bikes, and NGK plugs in other bikes.

erazor55, please tell us, how many miles on your bike, how did the original plugs look, and did you install the NGK Iridium plugs ?