PDA

View Full Version : Tupperware removal

choptop
03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Any particular brand of tools to safely/mar resistant kit to remove panels. Thanks in advance

bobbyf6b
03-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Take your time and be careful. I've already broken two tabs on mine. You would never know unless I showed you which ones but it sucks breaking a brand new bike. :icon_doh:

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
I study parts fische and watch You Tube videos before I pull apart. Helps some but I also broke the trim tab on my fairing pulling the right pocket off.
Go slowly as mentioned.
Also pay attention to the grommets and bumpers too, they seem to disappear.

Scotrod
03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
For fairing/dash pieces, I use ~nylon~(?) trim tools from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

(Not the exact set I have, but you get the picture)

choptop
03-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Thank you, will purchase a set.

unsub
03-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Any particular brand of tools to safely/mar resistant kit to remove panels. Thanks in advance

I've pulled off quite a bit of the bodywork, including the back deck with only my hands and I wear latex gloves, and take off bracelets, watches and rings and use a small ratchet screwdriver for set screws and small bolts. A magnetic wand can be your best friend if you do happen to drop a set screw into the body.

Be gentle, don't rush and you'll be fine.

Before reinstalling bodywork some here recommend chap-stick [or facsimile] on the rubber grommets, I've used a touch of petroleum jelly.

choptop
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Just in case it might help someone in the future I took a pic of the front and back of the left side battery/cover. I highlighted the tabs on the backside and highlighted the estimated places were the tabs would be on the front. Hope it helps someone. bobbyf6b, I didn't break any.:icon_lol::stirthepot:

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Spray silicone by WD 40 works great on grommets. Pieces go back on easily.
J

Steve 0080
03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
+1 on the Harbor Freight tools…I bought them after Scottrod posted about them !!!

dickiedeals
03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
+1 on the Harbor Freight tools…I bought them after Scottrod posted about them !!!

I use the Plastic Knives from the picnic set.....................Dickie

Big Jay
03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
I used a plastic bondo spreader to get under the trim piece that has to be removed to get the left pocket out to add the 12v plug .

1951vbs
03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
I use the Plastic Knives from the picnic set.....................Dickie

+1 :yes: They seem to work very well!

Bruce B
03-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Regarding the grommets and tabs. I use Sil-Glyde from NAPA Auto Parts (Part # 765-1351). It was mentioned many months ago by another forum member and works great. I use a Q-Tip to apply the silicon lube to the inside of the grommet. Makes the tabs slide in like a charm when reinstalling. Nothing has to be forced. Similar products probably work as well. My 4 oz. tube should last an estimated 27 years.

Bill1584
04-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi, I am looking to install a homelink system on the right side of the fairing. The cover, the one above the 'key' panel, is the best choice for me. Does anyone know how it is actually attached, so as to know how to properly remove it? The crew at the shop where I bought the bike either can't or won't tell me. Thanks!

TwinCitiesRider
04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
I haven't seen his full dvd set, but Cruiseman has several videos on YouTube where he's working on his 2012 wing. Several of these have been very helpful, especially when dealing with the fairing and the side covers.

F6B-RICH
04-16-2014, 09:58 AM
If you are talking about the square right side cover above the key to unlock your center glove box you have to remove the trim on the right outer edge of that cover.Under that is 2 screws and the cover comes off .batman-smilie.

Bill1584
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
If you are talking about the square right side cover above the key to unlock your center glove box you have to remove the trim on the right outer edge of that cover.Under that is 2 screws and the cover comes off .batman-smilie.

Thanks so much. I will post a couple of photos of the job, provided it goes well....

Scotrod
04-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Lotsa room under that cover! :yes:

F6B-RICH
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much. I will post a couple of photos of the job, provided it goes well....

Pics of the trim piece.I have mine off today doing some work on the bike .batman-smilie.

F6B-RICH
04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Lotsa room under that cover! :yes:

Agree :yes: have my HID headlight wires and ballasts under that cover .batman-smilie.

RickW
05-21-2014, 05:46 AM

You can not go wrong getting these. I got mine in our local Harbor Freight store a while back. I got this set plus they had a yellow set that was slightly different.
Have used them a couple of times. If you take pieces apart on the F6B or Wing this is an inexpensive tool to have.