PDA

View Full Version : FJR or F6B

Judgejohn
03-02-2014, 04:37 PM
I have a 2013 FJR. My second FJR. The first, a 2003, rode on a number of long trips, including Nova Scotia and Colorado. Loved the bike, but it sat up a little high and the center of gravity, again a bit high.

Previously owned an 1100 Shadow, R6, FZ6, and a Victory Vision. Loved the seat on the Vision, but for me, hard bike to handle in quick, sharp turns.

At one time, owned the 03FJR, 08FZ6, and the 11Vision. Got rid of those bikes and purchased the 13FJR. I like the bike, but seat height a little much (I am 5'7" and about a 28-29 inseam). Always looking for something with a lower center of gravity and a little lower seat height that is easy to ride, but has power and I can take on trips.

YESTERDAY, went to Honda for first time in years and sat on an F6B. Felt pretty good. I like the seating position (I think), and I hear the bike has a lot of power. Just wonder how it would feel in the curves, long distance, etc.

Basically, WOULD THIS BE A GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR FJR?

I am 50 and not sure I care as much about the "Sport" side of sport touring, but I do like to have the maneuverability and speed when I want to have it. My best riding buddy has an FZ1 (naked sport bike) and it is important to keep up with him when I want.

Thoughts? Many FJR owners who have went to the F6B.

Can get a really good deal on a 2013 F6B right now.

a1scoot
03-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Traded my 04 FJR in for the F6B.....had it for just over a week now ( 600 miles)
and no regrets.....Put 89,000 miles on the FJR ...
You will adjust your riding style a bit for this big bike but the pace
you can turn at will be pretty amazing...and the comfort level is a
no brainier......my advice....pull the trigger.
a1scoot:icon_mrgreen:

Judgejohn
03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Traded my 04 FJR in for the F6B.....had it for just over a week now ( 600 miles)
and no regrets.....Put 89,000 miles on the FJR ...
You will adjust your riding style a bit for this big bike but the pace
you can turn at will be pretty amazing...and the comfort level is a
no brainier......my advice....pull the trigger.
a1scoot:icon_mrgreen:

a1scoot ... I have been hearing about buffeting. What is your experience?

a1scoot
03-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Stock windshield is way too short...threw on a smoked 11 inch and all is good.....

Ebony Deluxe
03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Sold a 06 FJR AE, and a Road King to get F6B. No regrets, up until the F6B the FJR was my favorite. Go for it!!

Hornblower
03-03-2014, 09:17 AM
My previous bike was a Concours 14. Many put the C14 and the FJR in the same category. I never considered the C14 as being top-heavy and I imagine you feel the same about the FJR. Once you experience the F6B however, and then go back to the FJR, I'm betting you will be surprised at how top-heavy it feels by comparison. IMHO, the F6B is what it is due to the unusually low CG. There's a very high probability that you will never look back after upgrading to the F6B.

FlyinF
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm 66 and 5'8" and recently purchase '14 FJR. For the price you get cruise control, heated grips, ABS, 2 driving moods and plenty of speed/power. I installed Corbin which added comfort and lowered the ride abit. Can't believe what you get for less than 15K. On the other hand last Spring purchased F6B. Now this is some "smooth" machine, very comfortable, good power and nice ride. I installed Mustang seat and increase comfort level 100%. I gotta say both bikes offer a lot and very happy to own them both. And I have a very tough decision to make, as soon as winter leaves the mountains I want to take a trip to Glacier National Park.........the question is, which bike to take?

Judgejohn
03-03-2014, 09:57 AM
I agree that the FJR is a great bike. Frankly, I think there is no better value out there than the FJR. Bang for buck, if u want a sports tourer, the FJR is the best.

That being said, do I really utilize the "sport" capabilities? Not really.

It's my second FJR and I love the idea of owning one. Just wonder if I would never look back. Would have two bikes, but just not practical for me.

JBnAZ
03-05-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm with Hornblower - had a 2012 C14 and traded it for the F6B. To me they are not easily compared, the Honds is WAY more comfortable but MUCH slower than the Connie. Having said that both my wife and I feel the Honda is overall a much better value than the Connie because of the comfort, cool factor and the ability to ride aggressively when I want. The C14 had one desired speed, very fast.

I also find the handling of the Honda to be better balanced. The C14 did feel top heavy to me and the Honda is way better in the wind. Low that low center or gravity.

Like I said, to me it's like comparing a banana to a peanut butter sandwich. I like them both but for different reasons.

bobbyf6b
03-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Wow, I never really looked at the FJR and I gotta say that's one fine machine for 2014. It has a few options I wish the F6B had but it comes down to what kind if riding you like best. Both bikes are capable of either style of riding but I think if you're more sporty then the FJR would be more fun. It's also the seating position. Sporty vs cruiser. I can't say either choice is bad. I think I'll have to demo a FJR at bike week this year. :icon_mrgreen:

motoman
03-07-2014, 01:18 PM
There are endless discussions about which bike is 'better'.

The truth is, they're all good, and it's tough to pick just one.

If you do pick one, it will be a compromise of several factors- speed, comfort, handling.

So, solve the problem and just get 3!

bobbyf6b
03-07-2014, 08:04 PM
From their website. :icon_cool:

a1scoot
03-07-2014, 08:22 PM
The FJR is a very capable machine.....one of the best bikes I have ever owned....
a1scoot:041:

JGF6B
09-23-2017, 07:18 PM
I spent 7 hours on a 2015 FJR yesterday. The power is phenomenal. A real discipline tester. I may be adding one of these to the stable soon.....
The F6B felt like a magic carpet after riding the FJR all day; like I wasn't even in contact with the road. I'm thinking I should ride and FJR while I can, I'll be able to ride a wing for many years to come.
I'm not parting with my F6B but I am looking to add a 2013+ FJR.

Bryster
09-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Work bikes a 2016 FJR when on duty, for the cut and thrust of traffic and cornering etc, the FJR rules. Power is great, cruise control is good, the electric screen is as noted, brilliant.
I did a 500k day on highways the other day, and sadly, no, the the F6 will eat it there.
I came off the FJR more tired, the 5 speed I rode on the day isn't as nice as the 6 speed 2016 model with the LED lighting.

A real annoying thing with Yamaha is it's ABS activation at very slow speeds, you detect a juddering, admittedly you get used to it but it's there.

For two up, with luggage and SWMBO the F6 is truly the comfort king, I've taken Taxfree4's recommendation with the MRA Xcreen for the adjustability, we have cruise, reverse & ABS over here, so a nice package.

Cornering is great, I have added a superbrace, and I noticed the difference.
You can load it up and the thing handles beautifully. In the middle of sorting out the suspension still, so I believe once that's done it should improve (just cause we're er.. heavy). Only time I scrape is off camber roundabouts. Scares the hell out of you the first few times.

Power isn't as brutally delivered like the FJR but it just surges ahead effortlessly.

The term 'replacement' would be an issue, I'm considering a second smaller bike to have fun with, and keeping the F6 to go places with my better half.

Got to get your ass on one for a test ride!

gmorstad
09-23-2017, 08:06 PM
My previous bike was a Concours 14. Many put the C14 and the FJR in the same category. I never considered the C14 as being top-heavy and I imagine you feel the same about the FJR. Once you experience the F6B however, and then go back to the FJR, I'm betting you will be surprised at how top-heavy it feels by comparison. IMHO, the F6B is what it is due to the unusually low CG. There's a very high probability that you will never look back after upgrading to the F6B.

I had the exact same experience with the ST1300. It never felt top heavy until I got the B. I bought the B before I sold the ST and didn't ride the ST for some time. I rode it again just before I sold it and it was so difficult to ride I thought the tires were low. They weren't. It was just that different from the B.

crossbowme
09-23-2017, 08:57 PM
I traded my ST1300 in on my F6B - now my feet touch the ground!

dadeo
09-23-2017, 09:19 PM
I rode a 06 FJR and a Concours, each owned for about three years. I really prefer the F6B over both. There is more torque and lower weight on the F6B. The FJR and Concours were both too tall for me (5'6") and 28 inch inseam. I laid both down at low speed too many times, once with my daugher on the back with the FJR. The FJR is smoother, more confortable and easier to ride long distance due to ride and rider position. And its actually easier to pick up the F6B than either of the two lighter bikes -- becaause the two sport/tourers are top heavy. I think if you are short you will like the F6B.

Verismo
09-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Of the sport tourers, I have ridden a 2007 St1300, a 2014 Concours, and a 2014 FJR. The fjr was my favorite by far. It just felt more together for me, and there are SO many amenities for the price.

I think the biggest thing you'll notice going from that style of bike to what you're thinking about will be the redistribution of weight and force to the rider. When you are in sport tour position, your feet are farther up under your body so the weight of your body and the overall up and down forces are distributed between your butt and your feet. The farther you move your feet out, the more your butt will take the impact of riding. That's why forward control riders get more tailbone pain. The Goldwing/F6b position is a nice balance of both, but still noticeable. When you feel the change, if you are super uncomfortable, don't panic. A good seat fit at the right distance from pegs and bars will likely do the trick. It's doubtful you will feel a lack of performance from the incredibly wide torque band of the B. Slower than the FJR, but still plenty gratifying.

Jason

53driver
09-24-2017, 07:34 AM
If not already mentioned, the FJR and the F6B are apples & oranges.
F6B - heavy cruiser
FJR - sport tourer
Different tools for different missions.
Cheers,
Steve

Fingerz
09-24-2017, 12:10 PM
If not already mentioned, the FJR and the F6B are apples & oranges.
F6B - heavy cruiser
FJR - sport tourer
Different tools for different missions.
Cheers,
Steve

This was my exact thought. Both are nice but don't really compare in class.

jmdaniel
09-25-2017, 02:46 PM
I have both in the garage, an '07A FJR and a '16 F6B Deluxe. I think the thing that really leans me to telling you to go for the F6B, if you are a one bike house, is your height. The FJR is a top heavy beast, and if you have to lean it to get one foot on the ground, you are that much closer to dropping it. I kept my FJR when buying the B earlier this year, primarily due to the fact that the book value of the FJR is much lower than it is worth to me, and I'm glad I did. I have no intention of adding hard luggage to the B, and on long trips, I like to have my stuff locked up. The FJR, with bigger side cases, a top box and Smuggler, gives me plenty of room. I didn't make the F6B rally in Pigeon Forge this year, due to Harvey, but I am leaving for Maggie Valley on Saturday, and I'll be taking the FJR...

https://i.imgur.com/uTWA79Nh.jpg

lgjhn
09-30-2017, 10:58 PM
As Steve said: Different machines for sure.
I sold my FJR for the F6B.
The FJR was a great bike but I just could not get comfortable on it.
The F6B, on the other hand, is perfect for me....love it.

speedjunkie
10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
I had an 05 fjr. RDL, bar risers, & throttle lock made it an all day sucker. Loved that bike.

Mike

GeorgeJetson
10-03-2017, 03:14 PM
I know this thread started awhile back, but for me this is a great topic .. I used to own a Honda ST1300, currently own a full-size touring bike (Victory Vision), and am contemplating trading the Vision for an F6B. The 2018 redesign of the F6B might just be too great to pass up .. love it .. and I think it will be a better bike than the BMW bagger (K1600B).

JGF6B
10-03-2017, 03:35 PM
They are so different from each other that I don't think I could stay happy with just one of them. So, I now have both a 2013 F6B and a 2013 FJR in my garage:) I'm loving the FJR but I still love the F6B. On the other hand, I don't miss my ST1300........