PDA

View Full Version : windshield fail

username42
03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Well, not so much the windshield as my choice of said windshield. I was out on the nice day of the weekend in Dallas(thank you 60 degree drop in 24 hours) and rode into Maxim Honda. I usally go to Al Lambs, but they didn't have of what I wanted in stock. Maxim did have a CeeBaileys 11" and I decided to give it a try. I had really bad buffeting around the ears and couldn't really hear much other than the wind noise. I called Maxim a few hours after I bought it and asked if I could trade it in. They didn't seem happy about the proposition but agreed to do it. I decided that if I was getting buffeting with an 11" and they didn't have a 13", I would try the 7". I drove off and this was even worse. The sound was much worse than the 11". So, now knowing I can't trade this one in, I am still in the hunt for one. I was wondering if the larger baggershield would be better. I'm also really leaning toward the Klockwerks for the design and I think it would be more functional.
But for now I will have to wait till the weekend when I get back to Maxim and get my orginal back so after that, even though it didn't work for me, I will have a CeeBaileys 7" opaque to sell for $125 if anyone is interested.

JBnAZ
03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
You'll get tons of various opinions on shields. There are various threads discussing shields to the nth degree. I use an 11 inch madstad engineering shield and I like it very much. No more buffeting and little to no wind noise compared to stock.

Check out threads on the subject - lots of reading.

I'm confident there is a shield out there that will work for you.

JB

Scotrod
03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Quite a few options available now compared to a few months ago.

X2 on what JB said! :yes:

opas ride
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I have the adjustable 11"-19" Baggershield on mine..It is extended to a full "21" from the rubber at the top of fairing to top of windshield..The dealer installed it so I have not tried any other settings, but it works great for me at 5'9" tall..Very little wind noise and hardly noticeable buffeting at higher speeds.....You will find many choices for the F6B and many opinions on this site, so choose what you feel is right and go for it...I have only tried the stock shield which was terrible, so I cannot comment on other brands besides the one currently on my bike...As of now I have no plans to spend money on any other shields......Good Luck and ride safe!!

bobbyf6b
03-03-2014, 09:32 PM
The Klock Werks shield definitely looks cool but I don't think anyone has got their hands on one yet.

Taller is more quiet. I have a 15 incher and it works well. What also helped considerably is the Baker hand wings.

Mustangjake
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_34

motozeke
03-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm 5'8" and used the Cee Bailey height guidelines which directed me to a 13". I see well over the top of the screen. I do not have that "bubble of quiet" at freeway speeds but the wind noise is very manageable; I can still hear the stereo over it even at freeway speeds and it's not so loud that I feel compelled to wear earplugs (though I do anyway on long freeway runs).

I will say this: any taller and the airflow wouldn't reach the top vents on my helmet so I'd have no real airflow into my full face. That's less desirable than more quiet for me, so I'll stick with the 13" screen.

And as was said here, the Baker Built Hand Wings help with noise as well.

austin_tech
03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Tip: Get the best of both worlds with the Baggershield adjustable. I have never thought "Damn, I wish this looked better and wasn't adjustable . . .". Love it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Tip: Get the best of both worlds with the Baggershield adjustable. I have never thought "Damn, I wish this looked better and wasn't adjustable . . .". Love it.
++ mine is perfect and looks like it came with the bike. No adjusting or buffeting, no whistle...good from install. And extension takes less than 3 min.
J

Bruce B
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Well, not so much the windshield as my choice of said windshield. I was out on the nice day of the weekend in Dallas(thank you 60 degree drop in 24 hours) and rode into Maxim Honda. I usally go to Al Lambs, but they didn't have of what I wanted in stock. Maxim did have a CeeBaileys 11" and I decided to give it a try. I had really bad buffeting around the ears and couldn't really hear much other than the wind noise. I called Maxim a few hours after I bought it and asked if I could trade it in. They didn't seem happy about the proposition but agreed to do it. I decided that if I was getting buffeting with an 11" and they didn't have a 13", I would try the 7". I drove off and this was even worse. The sound was much worse than the 11". So, now knowing I can't trade this one in, I am still in the hunt for one. I was wondering if the larger baggershield would be better. I'm also really leaning toward the Klockwerks for the design and I think it would be more functional.
But for now I will have to wait till the weekend when I get back to Maxim and get my orginal back so after that, even though it didn't work for me, I will have a CeeBaileys 7" opaque to sell for $125 if anyone is interested.

Check out the Madstad shield, also a Forum sponsor. Lots of them on the F6B now and I believe the feedback is universally positive. The Madstad lives up to it's claims, period. You look over the top of it but still have great wind protection and a quiet ride. I prefer mine over any shield I've ever owned.

srt8-in-largo
07-12-2014, 04:00 PM
+1 for Madstad; works great.