PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the trigger, too.....

projectapollo
03-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi there, been lurking a bit on this forum, checking out the F6B. I just made a nice deal for a local (east TN) black 2013 F6B Deluxe with extended warranty. Should take delivery in a few days. Just wanted to say hello and ask my first two questions.

I'm totally into being able to control my iPod from the driver controls. Honda talks about some sort of SRS headphone technology. What the heck is this? How do I get tunes into my helmet? I've just used earbuds and an iPod in my jacket previously (what a nuisance!). Anyhow, I'd like to get my helmet fitted with something the plugs into the F6B and takes advantage of this SRS thing. Thanks....

p.s. I test drove the F6B this past weekend at my Honda dealer. Oh my gosh, what a rocket. I was not prepared for the torque, braking power, and ability to fly like that. Actually, I lurched out into traffic on a few of my starts from a stop and was more jerky than I've ever been on my VTX. It was disconcerting, but I started to feel the clutch friction zone and calmed down a bit. But it is a touchy "let me zoom" jaguar of a bike. Does it loosen up on the torque and brakes after a bit of riding?

Hornblower
03-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Congratulations on your new black deluxe and welcome 'welcome gang'. There is a USB connection in the left saddlebag that will work with some ipods and flashdrives. I'm using an ipod Nano, for example. You'll have to check the list in the manual to see the specific devices that are compatible. Once that device is connected, you can control it from the bike's audio controls and connect your helmet speakers to the provided pigtail. As far as SRS, it's simply audio-enhancement technology that was developed by SRS Labs.

choptop
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Congrats on the new, black, fastest color, bike.:icon_biggrin:

projectapollo
03-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I can't seem to find any accessories that discuss SRS headphones for motorcycle helmets. I'm aware of the USB connector, just puzzled by the 'last mile' from intercom plug to helmet and what products are popular.

opas ride
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Don't know much about the sound systems as they are not important to me...I too had the same issues at first with the quick throttle response and how fast this thing accelerates ..Coming off a Victory Vision Tour with a big V-twin motor it was a little "nerve wracking" at first, but after a few hundred miles I think I have it down...A great bike, you will really love the smoothness and power curve on the old "pancake flat six"....Enjoy and be safe...

DanoHio
03-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Congrats and welcome from Ohio.

ReserveBum
03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Welcome! Similar background with the iPod..... the jacket pocket earbud thing on my 04 Concours was a PITA so I am looking forward to the upgrade (when I get to pick her up). Good question and I am looking forward to the feedback. The forum is a great source of info and people happy to share

FlaMike
03-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Congrats on the new ride. 'riding'

Bike is a little cold natured but once warmed it's fine. After you had it a while it all becomes second nature.
This bike knows how to hustle down the road, twisty or straight !!

Hornblower
03-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I can't seem to find any accessories that discuss SRS headphones for motorcycle helmets. I'm aware of the USB connector, just puzzled by the 'last mile' from intercom plug to helmet and what products are popular.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe you will find that in any of the helmet speakers. There are headphones, like certain Seinheiser models for example, that feature SRS but it's for more of a surround-sound experience. As I understand it, SRS headphones give the sound more of a reverb effect which may or may not be desirable. My personal preference for the bike application is to go with a reputable high-quality set of helmet speakers. I'm using J&M right now and it's fine for me.

projectapollo
03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
After a little more research, and considering I don't really need a mic to intercom with a passenger, looms like a cheap adapter to go from 5-pin intercom plug to mini plug is a cheap good solution for now. My in ears are actually very nice sennheisers.

Has anyone hooked up the passenger intercom plug? Is that an optional accessory?

projectapollo
03-04-2014, 08:27 PM
I just ordered a $19 Aerostich intercom adapter to let me plug in my ear buds I to the intercom for music system playback. I'll let you know how it works. If I ever start riding two up with intercom communications, then I think we are into much more costly systems.

F6B-RICH
03-04-2014, 08:57 PM
:congrats: & 'welcome gang' from NJ .batman-smilie.

Big Jay
03-04-2014, 09:04 PM
[Has anyone hooked up the passenger intercom plug? Is that an optional accessory]

Congrats on your purchase, it's an awesome bike. I haven't hooked up the passenger plug, but I do know its an option through Honda , I'm not sure about aftermarket. .welcome20.

Bama Bagger
03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard! .welcome20.

Steve 0080
03-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Welcome and here is a list to get you started….

http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/headset-adaptor.htm

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HSPT-GL18

http://www.edsets.com/3G_headsets

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=1

Hornblower
03-05-2014, 08:03 AM
After a little more research, and considering I don't really need a mic to intercom with a passenger, looms like a cheap adapter to go from 5-pin intercom plug to mini plug is a cheap good solution for now. My in ears are actually very nice sennheisers.

I started exactly the same way...the 5-pin adaptor to stereo mini-plug to in-ears. For me, the in-ears were quite a bit of trouble when putting on the helmet and taking it off and I didn't like the feel of those things in my ear canals for hours at a time. Ultimately, I switched over to helmet speakers and find this preferable. Just something to think about...:2cents:

indiatango
03-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the madness from down the road in Chattanooga. Good luck identifying a solution.

projectapollo
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I started exactly the same way...the 5-pin adaptor to stereo mini-plug to in-ears. For me, the in-ears were quite a bit of trouble when putting on the helmet and taking it off and I didn't like the feel of those things in my ear canals for hours at a time. Ultimately, I switched over to helmet speakers and find this preferable. Just something to think about...:2cents:

Agreed. The adapter is an inexpensive solution that will let me figure out the more expensive helmet rigs at a more leisurely pace. I appreciate the operating experience! Good to know.

projectapollo
03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Ok, without causing a total disruption on the forum, let me ask about preventative measures on the black paint. The bike I'm getting is black, first owner only out about 1800 miles on it. The paint is dirty but otherwise looks good and swirl free.

So, I take it I should be careful cleaning it so as to not let the dirt scratch it? I've used the Honda spray on bike cleaner on my black VTX to remove light dirt and polish it. Simple and effective. Safe to use on the F6b? Similar to pledge, I presume.

I ordered liquid glass from amazon. So I should get numerous coats of this stuff on before I do any hard buffing?

Preventative ideas appreciated.

indiatango
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM
There are numerous threads on this subject with just as many products used. I typically use a good car wash solution and a microfiber mitt. I also just finished getting mine polished up and finished off with Liquid Glass, which thus far has provided phenomenal results for everyone involved. Several have successfully used Scratch X to remove or partially remove the micro swirls readily apparent anywhere the bike has been touched. I tried it but it simply did not work well on mine. I ended up using another Meguiars product, Ultimate Compound. It does not have any abrasives and cleaned my paint up well. I have a single coat of LG on it now and plan to get two more on it this weekend.

So, if you don't have any swirls to deal with, get as many coats of LG on as quickly as possible.

unsub
03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Does it loosen up on the torque and brakes after a bit of riding?

It doesn't, but you will. :icon_biggrin: You will like - it - a - lot.

Welcome, and safe riding.