PDA

View Full Version : Heads up voltage monitor

Jcamp
05-24-2013, 04:51 AM
I want to install a heads up voltage monitor and was wondering which leads might be best to tap into. I was thinking of the right hand side panel where the heated grip switch is or something in that area. Switched power source would be best I think. Has any one put one of these on yet?

bob109
05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
I want to install a heads up voltage monitor and was wondering which leads might be best to tap into. I was thinking of the right hand side panel where the heated grip switch is or something in that area. Switched power source would be best I think. Has any one put one of these on yet?

The small left side compartment directly above you radio control panel has a 12V tap for a OEM 12V receptacle. You could install that item which would allow you to charge a cell phone etc. There's info on the kit with installation instructions on gaining access to the tap!

Info on the receptacle and instructions for removing the compartment can be found here! Check under "Accessories"

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7iFLYp9Rtl0AnrBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dWkwNm9 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA0OV83N A--/SIG=12g4of5b4/EXP=1369428683/**http%3a//powersports.honda.com/Touring/2013/gold-wing-f6b.aspx

Dark Knight
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
When I got my bike I had the 12v installed and have a 12v dual USB port for charging my iPhone and plugging it in, since the DEALER stated the audio wire was for iPod integration. When I got home I read the manual and found the real iPod integration in the left bag. :shock:

Is it bad the sales staff do not even know what the are selling and where the features are located?!:banghead: :icon_doh: just saying...

Anyway I put in the 12v so it can work with other items too and the USB adapter when I need to charge something else.

BTW: the port in the bag works great with an iPhone and it charges it too!:clap2::icon_lol:

The small left side compartment directly above you radio control panel has a 12V tap for a OEM 12V receptacle. You could install that item which would allow you to charge a cell phone etc. There's info on the kit with installation instructions on gaining access to the tap!

Info on the receptacle and instructions for removing the compartment can be found here! Check under "Accessories"

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7iFLYp9Rtl0AnrBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dWkwNm9 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA0OV83N A--/SIG=12g4of5b4/EXP=1369428683/**http%3a//powersports.honda.com/Touring/2013/gold-wing-f6b.aspx

MichaelG
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I want to install a heads up voltage monitor and was wondering which leads might be best to tap into.

Jcamp, my experience with these GL-1800s is that there really is no "need" for a volt meter to be viewed while rididng. If you really want to install one, then by all means do so. It cannot hurt. And if it makes you feel more confident in how the bike is operating, that is good. I had issues with the charging syayems on the GL-1500's, and would sometimes run out of power (following a snow plow at 25 mph, with all gerbing heated clothing lit up, etc.) But the GL-1800's have such a larger alternator, that I have never found a need to worry about it. On the 2001 to 2005 models, it was an 1100 watt alternator. The 2006 to 2010 models had a 1300 watt alternator. And the 2nd gen 1800's, from 2012 and 2013 have a 1200 watt alternator. I did run a digital voltmeter on mty '03 Wing, and after spending a year watching the numbers always be in the 13.8 to 14.2 range, I decided to not install one on my '04 Wing or my '06 Wing.

I run a normal electronics load for a GL-1800. I aqm not into bling and silly cosmetic lighting, but I am into Heated Clothing, powerful driving lights, PIAA H-7 bulbs, etc, so it is about an equal load compared to the light parade crowd of bikes. I am really on top of my battery maintenance, keep terminals snug and protected, and my batteries last for 5+ years, so must be doing something right.

If you want a voltmeter, it is not a negative, but it is not really needed on a GL-1800, unless maybe you are towing a trailer with an electric cooler in it:icon_wink:

If you do decide to install a voltmeter, I think the digital ones that install behind the speaker grill are best. You can see the digital readout, it is hidden from most weather, and it does not incumber the dash.

Lucas
12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Jcamp, my experience with these GL-1800s is that there really is no "need" for a volt meter to be viewed while rididng. If you really want to install one, then by all means do so. It cannot hurt. And if it makes you feel more confident in how the bike is operating, that is good. I had issues with the charging syayems on the GL-1500's, and would sometimes run out of power (following a snow plow at 25 mph, with all gerbing heated clothing lit up, etc.) But the GL-1800's have such a larger alternator, that I have never found a need to worry about it. On the 2001 to 2005 models, it was an 1100 watt alternator. The 2006 to 2010 models had a 1300 watt alternator. And the 2nd gen 1800's, from 2012 and 2013 have a 1200 watt alternator. I did run a digital voltmeter on mty '03 Wing, and after spending a year watching the numbers always be in the 13.8 to 14.2 range, I decided to not install one on my '04 Wing or my '06 Wing.

I run a normal electronics load for a GL-1800. I aqm not into bling and silly cosmetic lighting, but I am into Heated Clothing, powerful driving lights, PIAA H-7 bulbs, etc, so it is about an equal load compared to the light parade crowd of bikes. I am really on top of my battery maintenance, keep terminals snug and protected, and my batteries last for 5+ years, so must be doing something right.

If you want a voltmeter, it is not a negative, but it is not really needed on a GL-1800, unless maybe you are towing a trailer with an electric cooler in it:icon_wink:

If you do decide to install a voltmeter, I think the digital ones that install behind the speaker grill are best. You can see the digital readout, it is hidden from most weather, and it does not incumber the dash.

Who has a kit/installation instructions for this voltmeter? Thank you!
Lucas... In Phoenix, AZ

Pedro66
12-25-2013, 06:06 PM
You mean something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923pLl7uNVs

Steve 0080
12-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Or this...also from Bike MP3.....

4DI2D
12-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Kuryakyn makes a real nice volt meter that comes in black or QFC. How did you miss that one, Steve? :icon_mrgreen:

Steve 0080
12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Sadly I did....what is the part Num..... may need to change !!!!

4DI2D
12-28-2013, 04:51 PM

And they even used a Wing!
Part # 4219

Steve 0080
12-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Nope...like mine better...although I did look high and low for a chrome bezel !!!

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Or this...also from Bike MP3.....

I installed one of these Honda gauges yesterday. I think it finished out the bike's gauge cluster. It should have been on the bike stock IMO.

I'm a gauge guy and like being able to monitor the charging system.
The gauge has good back lighting.

I used the 3 pin accessory plug under the left pocket and pulled the harness under the center console to the right pocket. Pretty simple to install if you don't buy the pre mounted gauge panel.
J

Texas TC
02-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Now if we could find an oil pressure guage, the monitoring would be complete!:icon_rolleyes: