PDA

View Full Version : Removing antenna mount

Slowpoke
03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Has anyone removed the antenna mount yet? I find the radio reception is terrible, and I mostly listen to mp3s via usb.
How ugly is it under there, and how did you hide the hole(s)? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

F6BPDX
03-05-2014, 12:33 PM
I haven't taken mine off but I believe Lewis at EC said it leaves behind about a 2" x 2" square hole.

4DI2D
03-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Is this caused by the fact that you live in a deep valley between high mountains?
Fill in your profile.

I got an antenna from O'Reilly's and it works fine to a distance of at least 100 miles and up into the slopes of the Cascade mountains.

Unless you're gifted at plastic fabrication you'll be hard pressed to make it look good.

Good luck, have fun!

Scotrod
03-05-2014, 01:10 PM
if memory serves, someone said there's a rather large rectangular-shaped hole under the OEM antenna base, so 'changing/removing' is a bit more complicated than 'remove/replace'. (That's why I'm contemplating just removing the whip and install a 'stub cover' of some kind)

Unclear if a Honda 'auto' antenna would thread into the F6B base. :shrug:

unsub
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Has anyone removed the antenna mount yet? I find the radio reception is terrible, and I mostly listen to mp3s via usb.
How ugly is it under there, and how did you hide the hole(s)? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I'm trying to upload the Honda diagram for installing the OEM backrest, but unfortunately I'm unable. That has all the information you need to get at the antenna. PM me and I'll send you a link to my source. One tip on the body work and seat removal. Honda places flange collars everywhere so be very cautious that they are all accounted for.

1st timer, you're looking at 2.0 hours labor.

52edub
03-05-2014, 03:15 PM
The lid also has 6 velcro attachments so don't forget about those when attempt to pull the lid off. At the front there are pieces of the top that slip under attachments at each corner. The lock will stay in place after you remove the rear panel. Work slow so you don't break anything.

hiflyer
03-05-2014, 03:26 PM
. (That's why I'm contemplating just removing the whip and install a 'stub cover' of some kind)

:

If you just want to take off the whip, Ace hardware has some soft plastic caps in black that will hide the stubb and look good. I bought some to remove the whip when I added the Tour Pac, but was able to make the antenna work with the pac installed.

hiflyer
03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Has anyone removed the antenna mount yet? I find the radio reception is terrible, and I mostly listen .

My reception is great, I have even ridden with the whip removed and still was good.

Steve 0080
03-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I removed the whip soon after purchase and placed a rubber boot/nipple on the top…. looks better…no radio issues...

Scotrod
03-05-2014, 05:31 PM
If you just want to take off the whip, Ace hardware has some soft plastic caps in black that will hide the stubb and look good. .

:yes:

Ace is perfect for goodies like that!

Thanks!

dickiedeals
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I removed the whip soon after purchase and placed a rubber boot/nipple on the top…. looks better…no radio issues...

How do you remove the whip? Do you just unscrew it or is there a trick to it?

hiflyer
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
How do you remove the whip? Do you just unscrew it or is there a trick to it?

It just unscrews.

GONRDN
03-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Someone post a pic of the little rubber cover they put on their antenna mount please.

hiflyer
03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Someone post a pic of the little rubber cover they put on their antenna mount please.

OK, here is one.

MarcPW
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
What about getting someone to make a small flag holder with same size screw intake ?

Elin in So. Cal.
03-06-2014, 12:42 AM
What about getting someone to make a small flag holder with same size screw intake ?

Now THERE's an idea! Dual duty, too, if the pole is cut for the antenna reception optimal.

Slowpoke
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks, everyone!
The amount of info and help on this forum is amazing.

For the time being, I think I'll just "cap" the antenna mount.
When and if someone designs a removal kit that looks presentable (won't likely be me),
I'll be first in line to buy one.

Thanks again.

GONRDN
03-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Thank you hiflyer.

Scotrod
03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
OK, here is one.

HA!

The ones I got at Homer Depot today fit,,, (3/8" made by "Crown" nut and bolt)....

But,,,,,

Just my luck,,,

Dang things are YELLOW! LOL!

Figured I might 'paint' 'em black, but then again,,,,

Yellow might be kinda 'fun',,,,

:stirthepot:

If any one asks about it, or,,,, 'justforthehelluvit', I can tell folks "That there yeller thing is part of my special 'radar-jammer' system I got at J.C. Whitney,,,"

:shock:

:crackup:

Steve 0080
03-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Paint will not work….try the ends for a chair or bar stool….or Auto Zone , they will have a bag of assorted sizes…..