PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 6 Pipes

billphoenix
03-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Installed the Cobra 6 Pipes. Much louder but cool sounding, like a 60's muscle car. If you like quite these pipes aren't for you, but they won't split your ear drums either. Hard to describe but I did have a guy say he thought it was Muscle Car sound when I pulled up to the gas station. Then picked my brain about the F6B...

I think they really enhance the aggressive look of the bike. The other standard GW pipes are too short for the F6B bags, and stop under the bag causing heat and drone sound.

Cobra made these the proper length to clear our longer bags, and curved to follow the curve of the bike and bags.

I took the baffles out and they sound just right. Like a Porsche or a muscle car. Loud at cruise but not thumpy like a VTwin. Smooth and tough sounding.

Cobra did a great job, and the price has come down a couple hundred.

Bill
Phoenix, AZ

projectapollo
03-06-2014, 08:10 PM
I bought a used Deluxe with these installed. I prefer the quieter stock pipe. If anyone wants a two month old Cobra set of these, shoot me a PM. I can make you a good deal.

bobbyf6b
03-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I bought a used Deluxe with these installed. I prefer the quieter stock pipe. If anyone wants a two month old Cobra set of these, shoot me a PM. I can make you a good deal.

Sale pending! :icon_mrgreen:

bobbyf6b
03-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your write up billphoenix! I've been on the fence for almost a year now. Time to test them out for myself.

billphoenix
03-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your write up billphoenix! I've been on the fence for almost a year now. Time to test them out for myself.

Review after riding for a couple days with these Cobra 6 pipes:

Speeds up to about 70 is a lower muscle car type tone, but from 70+ it does go to a higher pitch. Kind of Sport Bike sounding but not as high a whining tone.
Baffles in they are quieter but still loud.

The sound is definitely behind the bike and not up through the bags to rattle you.

I have had Cobra pipes with "Quite Core Baffles" before and I did like the slightly more muffled sound. But would need 6 of them now and it would be too expensive.

No heat noticed from these pipes. I like the louder, motorcycle type sound instead of the quite GW no sound.

My trips are usually half a day rides. Probably would be a little too much on a cross country ride - but if I wanted to do that I would have bought a Touring Gold Wing.

Still great looking pipes, and feels and sounds like I am on a big powerful motorcycle.

Glad I made the change. :yes: to Cobra!

Steve 0080
03-07-2014, 06:25 PM
The Cobra's are sweet !!!! There are a couple of members here selling them in the for sale section !!!

opas ride
03-07-2014, 07:10 PM
billphoenix...Notice any of the "infamous drone sound"...I really like my Cobra's also, but have become a little disconcerted with the so-called drone at speeds above 60/70mph...Some have said it is caused by aftermarket windshields, others say no...I will keep mine on for the time being as I have not ridden much due to the lousy weather in MI., but might go back to stock in the spring/summer if the "dreaded drone" becomes bothersome...Without the baffles they are too loud and the Cobra guys suggested, rather heavily, that the pipes are not designed to run without baffles...otherwise they look and sound fine......

bobbyf6b
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
The Cobra's are sweet !!!! There are a couple of members here selling them in the for sale section !!!

Do you still run yours without baffles Steve?

billphoenix
03-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Do you still run yours without baffles Steve?

Just rode for 3 hours today, steady speeds 70 to 95 and I still like the louder, aggressive sound.
Not a "drone" but a smooth, steady tone like a sport bike - but not as high a pitch. Not a VTwin sound, more of a car sound, like everyone says.

I had a drone sound before with Tri Oval pipes because they didn't clear the end of our longer bags, and also heat rising up through the frame. These Cobra 6 don't do that.

NOTICE:
The Cobra 6 sound good with or without baffles. (Obviously Cobra isn't going to recommend no baffles with "Big Brother" watching)
BUT if you don't like smooth, loud to louder, aggressive motorcycle/car sound, you won't like any but the stock pipes.

Around town nice low growl and people notice I'm there. Just like any other bike with louder pipes I give them a revvvv and people stop moving into my lane, or they go when the light is green - horns p-ss people off so loud pipes work better.

Also I have to plug Wingstuff. Good prices, quick shipping, and they do everything they can to make sure you are satisfied. Got my Cobra 6 and Smoke Turn signals from Wingstuff.

bobbyf6b
03-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Nice looking ride Bill. We should get together for a ride sometime. I went on the Ride for the Warrior today from Chandler HD to Casa Grande. Then I rode to Gila Bend and back around the long way home. Great day for a ride!

bobbyf6b
03-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Well I got my pipes installed. I put them on at work so I could hear them on my way home. I fought with them until I figured out how they go on. They sound great at idle and while twisting the throttle but all the way home it was drone city. I thought since I wear a half helmet it wouldn't be noticeable but it didn't help. My other complaint is how they fit. It's hard to get the lengths to match and one side sits noticeably lower than the other side. Also, there's only the cobra name on one side. I think it should be on both sides.

So when I got home I was all excited to pull the baffles to hear how that sounds. No bueno. The baffles are so rusted they won't budge. Anyone know how I can get them out? Here's a few pics.

Dfinkelsteinmd
03-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Well I got my pipes installed. I put them on at work so I could hear them on my way home. I fought with them until I figured out how they go on. They sound great at idle and while twisting the throttle but all the way home it was drone city. I thought since I wear a half helmet it wouldn't be noticeable but it didn't help. My other complaint is how they fit. It's hard to get the lengths to match and one side sits noticeably lower than the other side. Also, there's only the cobra name on one side. I think it should be on both sides.

So when I got home I was all excited to pull the baffles to hear how that sounds. No bueno. The baffles are so rusted they won't budge. Anyone know how I can get them out? Here's a few pics.

Hi Bobby,

Mine were pretty stuck too so I sprayed WD40 up inside after removing the small set screws and pulled the internal edge of the baffles until they gave up like a tired Steelhead. I have no drone except in freeway underpasses but I wear a Schuberth C3 with ear plugs.

jakec
03-15-2014, 06:25 AM
Bobby, when you mounted your Cobras did you put your pipe mounting bracket to the inside of the mounting lug on the bike? It might just be the picture but the pipes look like they are spread a little wide.

bobbyf6b
03-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Bobby, when you mounted your Cobras did you put your pipe mounting bracket to the inside of the mounting lug on the bike? It might just be the picture but the pipes look like they are spread a little wide.

Yes, they are mounted to the inside. If you stand in the back they look fine, it's on closer inspection that you notice the inconsistencies.

I bought these used. If I had bought these new I would be really upset! :banghead:

bobbyf6b
03-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I just sprayed a bunch of WD40 in the ends of the pipes. After a few hours of soaking I'll see if the baffles will come out. I don't have high hopes.

To those that have pulled the baffles, did they come right out? What tool did you use?

billphoenix
03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
I just sprayed a bunch of WD40 in the ends of the pipes. After a few hours of soaking I'll see if the baffles will come out. I don't have high hopes.
To those that have pulled the baffles, did they come right out? What tool did you use?

I answered your PM. Same way, WD 40 and a strong wire attached to a vice grip. The small lip on these baffles is very hard to grab and pull, so a bent wire up inside worked them out.

As for the "drone". This is a 6 cylinder bike, not a VTwin. It sounds like a Sports Car or a Sports Bike. At High Speed, there is a steady loud sound like a car. It won't thump or vary the sound like a VTwin. It's not a drone.

The 6 Pipe sound reminds me of a buddy's Chevelle that had good sounding pipes. At cruising speed inside the "cage" it was a constant, loud, smooth sound.

If I was on a several day ride it would be too much, I would probably prefer the stock pipes.

The F6B is "chopped" for city and shorter trip riding, although it can do both. With louder pipes cars hear you better and you get more attention because people think it is a cool "Muscle Car" sound, and then they see an awesome styled, massive bike instead.

bobbyf6b
03-15-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm not this upset, but it reminded me of this scene from Liar Liar. :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rNIAN5o5M

bobbyf6b
03-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Well I fought like hell and got those baffles out. The pics will show you how rusted they are. I fired it up, let the fans cycle and went for a ride. They sound amazing at idle but now the drone is louder. We'll see if I can get adjusted to them. I know it's the nature of the beast. I wonder if I do a mod to the crossover if it will sound better. If not I'm gonna go back to stock. Someone else can try these out.

jakec
03-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Bobby, go on Ebay and buy some 1/2" fiberglass muffler packing, wrap the glass around each baffle and wrap a couple stips of scotch tape around the glass to hold in place then reinsert the baffles. I did this and the more I ride it the more I think the sound is mellowing out.

Dfinkelsteinmd
03-17-2014, 03:59 AM
How about just packing the crossover since that seems to be the cause of the resonance that is referred to in this column as the drone? Miles and others who have bypassed the crossover have resolved the issue with extensive replumbing but what about just making a small "glass pack" like we did in the 60's? Fiberglass or steel wool would probably be easy to use and different densities would allow each rider to customize the sound to their liking. There must be a harmonic that each of us prefers. Personally, my unplugged 6-2-6's sound similar to but louder than my Porsche which has 4 times the HP and I love it, especially between 4500-5000
RPM.

bobbyf6b
03-17-2014, 08:58 AM
I guess it just sounds weird to me since I've been on v-twins for so many years. Hopefully it will grow on me. If not, I may try something with the crossover. Who knows.

Bob's 1800
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I think it's been discussed here before,but I'am thinking that a couple of forum members installed the torque loops and the drone went away. I have the Torque Master slip on's and have the same problem...Bob

kjelders
03-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Bobby, I removed the baffle from the top pipe (longest) on each side and put the baffles back in the other 2 pipes on both sides. I found this setup the best for sound and least amount of drone.

opas ride
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Does running with one baffle out have any negative effects on the back pressures or the performance of the bike..Seems to me that over time it would "screw"something up?..Obviously, the Cobra people told me not to do it as it would cause un-even performance of the exhaust which was designed to run with the baffles.....Just curious as I have the "dreaded drone".....

bobbyf6b
03-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I really don't think it matters how many baffles you run, the bikes computer will (should) compensate. The exhaust is just going to follow the path of least resistance. I'll have to try installing two baffles on each side after I clean them up.

kjelders
03-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Does running with one baffle out have any negative effects on the back pressures or the performance of the bike..Seems to me that over time it would "screw"something up?..Obviously, the Cobra people told me not to do it as it would cause un-even performance of the exhaust which was designed to run with the baffles.....Just curious as I have the "dreaded drone".....

When I initially installed the Cobras, I did so without any baffles. It was too loud, (and I'm saying that coming from a Harley) and the other thing was not much back compression.

Putting two baffles back in on the shorter two pipes lessen the drone and put the back compression back to "normal". The longer of the 3 Cobra pipes sticks out beyond the saddlebags. Therefore the sound isn't resonating under the saddlebags.

opas ride
03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks, I give it a try if the damn weather ever clears up here in Michigan...Winter "sucks".....

CaptRob
03-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Thank you guys! I get my new cobras in a few days and I will try pulling the top baffle!!:041:

bobbyf6b
03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Well I put the bottom two baffles back in and it's MUCH better! I think you have to pull the baffles out and ride for a couple days to appreciate them. More updates to come.

opas ride
03-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks, for the info and please keep us posted...I have not had a chance to pull the one baffle yet as the Michigan weather "sucks" so far..I love the Cobra pipes , just not real happy with the drone...Do you still notice this noise when you run with one baffle out or is it more tolerable?....Thanks

bobbyf6b
03-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks, for the info and please keep us posted...I have not had a chance to pull the one baffle yet as the Michigan weather "sucks" so far..I love the Cobra pipes , just not real happy with the drone...Do you still notice this noise when you run with one baffle out or is it more tolerable?....Thanks

There is still drone but after riding for a couple days with no baffles it's a relief with two baffles in. At least I can hear my radio now.

billphoenix
03-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Still have to say these pipes sound great. I don't know what "drone" so many say they hear. Yes, they are bad-ass loud but not the "blat-blat" sound of VTwins.
You can tone them down with the baffles in, but they still are aggressive sounding - which is the whole idea.

I can hear my radio fine wearing a half helmet.

Around town 30-50 mph the sound is especially cool with a lower tone.

Once you hit 70-100+ they are higher pitched. That's the nature of the beast, higher revving and power.

There is no compression or power loss because they are slip-ons and we still have the Cats providing back pressure.

BUT if you don't like loud, these pipes ain't for you. Good luck tweaking them but they are a bad looking, bad sounding pipe - period.

bobbyf6b
03-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Mine are sold. I like the stealthiness of the stockers.

Scotrod
03-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Sound is always subjective. If hearing the exhaust is a large portion of your riding experience, you'll want it dialed in to suit your taste.

I like the staccato sound of a V-twin. V-8's sound good. 4's & 6's,,,, eh, not so much. Just 'what I'm used to', I guess.

I may be delusional (again!) but the sound of OEM pipes on many of my bikes has gotten better w/age vs. brand new. Not sure if a little carbon builds up and 'cancels/absorbs' some of the higher tones,,, Not a night and day difference by any means, but seems to be noticeable.

The mod bug keeps biting me for some pipes, but I'm not sure I really would appreciate the increased sound level. :shrug: Been spending my $ elsewhere.

For all intents and purposes, the F6B is a 6 into 2 system, regardless of slip on or even t-loops. The true 6 into 6 pipes on the old Valks had a 'character' of their own which did have an appeal. Not gonna happen on the F6B until a 6 into 6 system is created. (Don't hold your breath!)

opas ride
03-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Scotrod...Good write up on exhausts...At my age of 74 loud pipes mean nothing to me..Although being an old "car guy"( 5.0 liter Mustangs), I like the a little throaty noise once in while...I had Stage 1 pipes on my last two Victory's and they were fine for me...I always loved the sound of the old Valkyrie 6 into 6 pipes even though I never managed to put them on my 99 Tourer..Was kind of hoping the current Cobras would do the same, or similar, with my F6B and it ain't happening...I like the looks of the 6-2-6's and will probably keep them on for now, but the "drone" is still somewhat of problem for me....I had the dealer keep the stock pipes for me, just in case, and I will go back to them this year sometime if I cannot deal with the Cobras,,,although I like the sound so far but have only 650 miles on the bike due to this "lousy"winter....

CobraUSA
04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Bill,

Thanks for giving your take on the six-2-six sound. We did everything we could to get rid of any "drone", which I personally think there is none with baffles in. But everyone's ears are different, some are more sensitive than others. I have done a lot of riding and been to a lot of concerts, so I'm sure my hearing is pretty bad to begin with! haha

For those of you who think the "drone" is too loud, many members here have mentioned to me that restricting the crossover makes it leaps and bounds better.

Thanks!
Dustin

Still have to say these pipes sound great. I don't know what "drone" so many say they hear. Yes, they are bad-ass loud but not the "blat-blat" sound of VTwins.
You can tone them down with the baffles in, but they still are aggressive sounding - which is the whole idea.

I can hear my radio fine wearing a half helmet.

Around town 30-50 mph the sound is especially cool with a lower tone.

Once you hit 70-100+ they are higher pitched. That's the nature of the beast, higher revving and power.

There is no compression or power loss because they are slip-ons and we still have the Cats providing back pressure.

BUT if you don't like loud, these pipes ain't for you. Good luck tweaking them but they are a bad looking, bad sounding pipe - period.

billphoenix
04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
After a few hundred miles I have been noticing some torque drop at slow speeds with all the baffles out.
I put them back (4) except the top 2.
My low speed torque (power) has improved considerably and cruising rumble is quieter.
Looks like there is a drop in back pressure, even with the Cats left in, if you take all the baffles out.
So, 4 baffles in and I like the sound and power.
Still getting allot of compliments on these pipes.
Bill

CaptRob
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
.batman-smilie.I was ready to take my new black Cobra 6's to the scrap yard as I wouldn't want to sell to another member knowing what a horrible drone sound they create….
BUT, I installed the Torq Loopz maybe a 2 hour job, and YAHATZEE :041: awesome sounds 1,2,3,4,5,6 baffles in. The cats are the problem. I notice more power and torq
( hence the name Torq Loopz) I can tell you first hand that if you want good sounding pipes Loopz work!!:yikes:

Smallyy
05-02-2014, 02:47 AM
.batman-smilie.I was ready to take my new black Cobra 6's to the scrap yard as I wouldn't want to sell to another member knowing what a horrible drone sound they create….
BUT, I installed the Torq Loopz maybe a 2 hour job, and YAHATZEE :041: awesome sounds 1,2,3,4,5,6 baffles in. The cats are the problem. I notice more power and torq
( hence the name Torq Loopz) I can tell you first hand that if you want good sounding pipes Loopz work!!:yikes:

I second that.:biggthumpup:

billphoenix
05-02-2014, 05:53 PM

So you're basically removing the Cats and replacing them with a piece of pipe with a circular loop in it which creates back pressure that you lost when you take the Cats off? Seems like the same thing with a different mechanism.
Maybe I'll try it when the Cats go bad.
As for now I like the sound and torque with the top 2 baffles out.

smokinjoe187
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I know Miles had a simple solution to help this but I cant find it
or maybe the cure is to just leave the stock ones on
I have a set of bassani pipes...i love them but the drone drives me of the bike
it seems to be a bigger issue with a tall screen,I took mine off and the Drone was lessened
i personally think the drone comes from under the bags and trys to rip out my brain
I do not hear much about the vance and hines monster ovals??same issue with drone running the cat??

Since i live in cali i do try to keep the chp happy by not blasting up and down the 91 all day and night..Thoughts??

CaptRob
05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
I know Miles had a simple solution to help this but I cant find it
or maybe the cure is to just leave the stock ones on
I have a set of bassani pipes...i love them but the drone drives me of the bike
it seems to be a bigger issue with a tall screen,I took mine off and the Drone was lessened
i personally think the drone comes from under the bags and trys to rip out my brain
I do not hear much about the vance and hines monster ovals??same issue with drone running the cat??

Since i live in cali i do try to keep the chp happy by not blasting up and down the 91 all day and night..Thoughts??

Deerslayer tack welded a disk between the cats leaving them in tact. ( I would in Cali ) Yes the Torq loopz work but I think the DIY disk would as well as that eliminates the cat crosstalk and resonance.

IBREWBEER
06-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Has anyone tried packing the crossover with fiberglass packing ?

badpapi
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
i see couple people here mention having a set for sale but dont really know if they still have it .
just checking im also posting on the wtb/wts side of the forum

Dfinkelsteinmd
06-14-2014, 10:53 AM
This is an idea several of us floated a few months ago when the drone issue first surfaced. Although I do not have a problem with the drone personally, I think many buyers have sold their 6's for this reason. So in terms of packing the crossover pipe, it seems to accomplish the same goal as the disc one member welded into the pipe, but is a lot easier to accomplish--just unbolt the crossover and twist it open enough to pack tightly with fiberglass or steel wool. This is how we staunch bleeding in trauma cases and in the battlefield so why not try reducing/altering the harmonic that arises from the cats resonating with each other? This solution is inexpensive and reversible in the event it fails or produces some other side effect.

My own approach is to simply avoid the "drone zone" by keeping the tach above 3450 and staying out of freeway crossovers with high sound barriers. The flat six sounds great between 3500 and 5100 rpm!

opas ride
06-14-2014, 05:16 PM
After having my bike with the Cobra's now for several months, the "drone" no longer bothers me and I have gotten used to the sound and it really is not all the bothersome....I like the looks, paid the bucks, and plan on leaving things alone for now....If things change down the road I will go back to the stockers....Perhaps some "jumped the gun" so speak and got rid of the pipes to soon???..I dunno, pipes and sounds are a personal thing as they say, to each his own!!.....Ride safe

billphoenix
06-14-2014, 11:32 PM
After having my bike with the Cobra's now for several months, the "drone" no longer bothers me and I have gotten used to the sound and it really is not all the bothersome....I like the looks, paid the bucks, and plan on leaving things alone for now....If things change down the road I will go back to the stockers....Perhaps some "jumped the gun" so speak and got rid of the pipes to soon???..I dunno, pipes and sounds are a personal thing as they say, to each his own!!.....Ride safe

I agree. 6 Pipes, 4 Baffles works for me. I get compliments constantly on the look and sound of the Cobra 6.

Mustangjake
06-14-2014, 11:48 PM
fiberglass or steel wool. To staunch bleeding ! man I never used that.

IBREWBEER
06-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I agree you get used to the resonance the more you ride with the 6's. I found that the more wind you get in your face the drone goes away . Depends on which shield you have . With the baggershield 11" the little wind I get is a perfect balance with the pipes . I just love these pipes too much to part with them !

opas ride
06-17-2014, 10:17 AM
A couple of guys have taken out the baffle on the longest (top) pipe and really like the sound it makes..Still has drone but mixed with a little noise I'm told...Might try it for a while and see for myself....

badpapi
06-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Well I fought like hell and got those baffles out. The pics will show you how rusted they are. I fired it up, let the fans cycle and went for a ride. They sound amazing at idle but now the drone is louder. We'll see if I can get adjusted to them. I know it's the nature of the beast. I wonder if I do a mod to the crossover if it will sound better. If not I'm gonna go back to stock. Someone else can try these out.

boby can I see a pic of the tools you use to remove the baffles mine pipes are new and having hart time getting those baffles out.

billphoenix
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
boby can I see a pic of the tools you use to remove the baffles mine pipes are new and having hart time getting those baffles out.

I sprayed allot of WD 40 up inside the pipes and let it sit for a while.
Then took a bent strong wire/rod with a vicegrip and hooked on the farthest edge working it out.
Once it gets close enough to the outer edge you can grab them and pull the rest of the way.
They're a very snug fit.

If you are going to replace them take a long rod and cloth and swab some WD40 around the inside of the pipe as far as the baffles goes. Much easier to put back.

Bill

badpapi
06-21-2014, 02:31 PM
I sprayed allot of WD 40 up inside the pipes and let it sit for a while.
Then took a bent strong wire/rod with a vicegrip and hooked on the farthest edge working it out.
Once it gets close enough to the outer edge you can grab them and pull the rest of the way.
They're a very snug fit.

If you are going to replace them take a long rod and cloth and swab some WD40 around the inside of the pipe as far as the baffles goes. Much easier to put back.

Bill

I went to my old vtxoa page and found a tool picture the some guy have made before and went to lowes and spend like 5 dollars worth of stuff made it and worked good I will post a picture soon.

badpapi
06-25-2014, 03:29 PM

jdurbin
06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have an audio of six 2 six. pipes sound ? I would likely know before I buy. Don't want to end up selling them cheap cause I don't like the sound.

bobbyf6b
06-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Does anyone have an audio of six 2 six. pipes sound ? I would likely know before I buy. Don't want to end up selling them cheap cause I don't like the sound.

Sounds like a small block v8 at idle. Drone will buzz your skull on the highway unless you remove the catalytic converters.

Do a search and there's video on here somewhere.

hgslayr
10-20-2016, 12:45 AM
I designed a set of pipes for my rune and had a hollow droning sound and after wrapping the baffles with muffler cloth it toned them down and make the sound more deeper....Looking at the pics of the cobra baffles there is plenty of room for a nice muffler cloth or steel wool...You can get steel zip ties to secure the packing to the baffles so it doesnt get pinched or wedged when sliding the baffles back in...Good luck

Chas
10-20-2016, 03:11 PM
I have the Cobras on mine and have had for over a year. I like the sound and see no need to remove baffles. I also would wonder about the change of back pressure causing the ECM to not give the best fuel mileage, like lowering the mileage over all. I will keep mine as they came and recommend them.

D-Train
12-18-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm not this upset, but it reminded me of this scene from Liar Liar. :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rNIAN5o5M

Now that's some funny shit right there! :icon_laugh:

I love the looks of these pipes, especially now that they are BLACK, and I'll probably like the sound too, but I just find it hard to spend $800 on ANYTHING from Cobra! Considering I co-founded cruisercustomizing.com, I have a LOT of experience with Cobra products, and they are generally crap IMHO. How durable have these proven to be for those that have them? Does anyone have the black ones installed? Are you happy with them?

opas ride
12-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Now that's some funny shit right there! :icon_laugh:

I love the looks of these pipes, especially now that they are BLACK, and I'll probably like the sound too, but I just find it hard to spend $800 on ANYTHING from Cobra! Considering I co-founded cruisercustomizing.com, I have a LOT of experience with Cobra products, and they are generally crap IMHO. How durable have these proven to be for those that have them? Does anyone have the black ones installed? Are you happy with them?

A few people reported some minor rust issues with early generation pipes, 2013 model year, around the fittings where the pipes were bolted on to the header pipes, so to speak...I drilled a small hole under the pipe where it connects to the stock set-up to drain any moisture and no issues after 3 years of use...Look like new so far and still sound great to me....Ride safe

thunder217
12-20-2016, 02:21 AM
I simply loved these pipes but they rusted so badly I had to contact Cobra and they eventually replaced one of them and would not replace the other that had the most rust because it had a minor scrape on it. They cleaned that one up for me and returned them to me. I eventually sold the returned pipes and went with the TBR pipes that sound just as well. LOL I did love the look of the COBRAS but hatted the amount of rust after one season.

D-Train
12-20-2016, 09:25 AM
I simply loved these pipes but they rusted so badly I had to contact Cobra and they eventually replaced one of them and would not replace the other that had the most rust because it had a minor scrape on it. They cleaned that one up for me and returned them to me. I eventually sold the returned pipes and went with the TBR pipes that sound just as well. LOL I did love the look of the COBRAS but hatted the amount of rust after one season.

Yup, that's the Cobra that I remember. RUST CITY! Maybe I should start another thread and ask people with Cobra pipes how much trouble they are having with rust? :icon_rolleyes:

tiltingf6b
03-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Installed Cobra 6 two 6 with Torque Loopz this week 3/1/17 - definitely not a task for the light hearted and definitely not for those who are impatient. I chose the Cobra's for looks and sound after watching a lot of you tube clips etc... I chose to leave all the baffles in. I had to remove a good bit of plastic and shielding to get to the CAT's without damaging anything else - big advocate of measure 3 times and cut once. Everything went together fairly smoothly but it was difficult to eliminate exhaust leaks - I used some exhaust sealer to get it sealed. The exhaust transition covers were a bear to fit perfect and required a little trimming on the left side. Adaptation both slow at idle and cruising speed, took longer than expected and it seemed to help when I took the revs up to 4k rpm. No drone, no annoying wake the neighbors up bark - unless I nailed the throttle. I slight fart if I back off the throttle quick. Hoping I don't suffer the rust others have. This thread seemed a little old so anyone who wants to chime in with new Cobra info, please do.

tiltingf6b
03-06-2017, 09:15 AM
A few people reported some minor rust issues with early generation pipes, 2013 model year, around the fittings where the pipes were bolted on to the header pipes, so to speak...I drilled a small hole under the pipe where it connects to the stock set-up to drain any moisture and no issues after 3 years of use...Look like new so far and still sound great to me....Ride safe

@opas ride - still running your Cobras? how they looking?

opas ride
03-06-2017, 11:12 AM
@opas ride - still running your Cobras? how they looking?

Yes sir I am, and they look and sound great...Going into the 4th riding season soon and they look as good as the day they were installed back in late 2013. Drilling the small holes underneath, where they clamp to stock pipes, virtually eliminated any rust issues as any condensation seems to drain out from there...I do hit the area once in while with some rust remover polish or WD 40 and so far all is good....I personally have gotten rather used to the slight "drone" at certain speeds, but it is easy to change with throttle positions....Regards and ride safe

tiltingf6b
03-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Yes sir I am, and they look and sound great...Going into the 4th riding season soon and they look as good as the day they were installed back in late 2013. Drilling the small holes underneath, where they clamp to stock pipes, virtually eliminated any rust issues as any condensation seems to drain out from there...I do hit the area once in while with some rust remover polish or WD 40 and so far all is good....I personally have gotten rather used to the slight "drone" at certain speeds, but it is easy to change with throttle positions....Regards and ride safe

@opas ride - thanks for the update - I used the torque loopz and have no drone that I can notice - more pleasant actually than the OEM to me. thanks again.