PDA

View Full Version : Question about clear coat

stepbill
03-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Is it possible to tell when you get a bike back from the painters if there is more than one coat of clear on it? I would like to have at least two and if I pay for two I would like to be sure that there is two. I'm picking up a new bike from Schroader's Honda in Hendersonville, NC and they are having it painted for me by someone they use. Thanks for your help! When I spoke to Terry he told me that they normally only do one coat of a hard clear coat. Should I ask for at least two?

Steve 0080
03-08-2014, 12:02 AM
If done right the the answer would be no…..normally the painter rubs the clear coat between adding the next layer...

Elin in So. Cal.
03-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Everything I have ever read about clear-coating says that two or three light coats are far better than one coat. How to know if you're getting more than one? No sure way to tell.

I would ask to chat with their painter and see what kind of clear they are putting on. If you get a water-based urethane clear, you'll need to let it cure until the surface is hard enough to handle the bugs.

I'm learning and re-learning a good deal about the paints and top coats out there as I explore this business of "art bikes". I'm no expert by any means...