PDA

View Full Version : Show Chrome Luggage Rack

miramiramira
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure what I think about it. It's certainly a good size and the way it's made allows for multiple attachment point. But, it angles downward. That's a plus for following the lines of the bike, but a minus for actually putting stuff on it. Maybe it would look a little better if I had gone for the Smoke Chrome but that's on backorder and I've got a trip coming up. Sooooo, we'll see, I guess, how I feel about it over the next couple of days.

Installation was relatively easy, although the instructions weren't helpful. They want you to install the brackets and the mounting bolts and then mount the rack to the brackets. Doing it that way, however, meant there wasn't much room for tightening the rack to the mount. One of those, 1/8 turn at a time for ever! I found it better to finger-tight mount the brackets to the rack, then the rack to the bike, then tighten everything up. Even with three different trials, it was a 40 minute job.

Positives:
it's solid
it's big
there are multiple tie-down options
ultimately, it was easy to install

Negatives:
the instructions aren't helpful
the rack angles downward

Bonus:
the rubber caps that came on the luggage rack fit the antenna mount quite well. So if you want to get rid of the flexible part of the antenna.....

RickW
03-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm not sure what I think about it. It's certainly a good size and the way it's made allows for multiple attachment point. But, it angles downward. That's a plus for following the lines of the bike, but a minus for actually putting stuff on it. Maybe it would look a little better if I had gone for the Smoke Chrome but that's on backorder and I've got a trip coming up. Sooooo, we'll see, I guess, how I feel about it over the next couple of days.

Installation was relatively easy, although the instructions weren't helpful. They want you to install the brackets and the mounting bolts and then mount the rack to the brackets. Doing it that way, however, meant there wasn't much room for tightening the rack to the mount. One of those, 1/8 turn at a time for ever! I found it better to finger-tight mount the brackets to the rack, then the rack to the bike, then tighten everything up. Even with three different trials, it was a 40 minute job.

Positives:
it's solid
it's big
there are multiple tie-down options
ultimately, it was easy to install

Negatives:
the instructions aren't helpful
the rack angles downward

Bonus:
the rubber caps that came on the luggage rack fit the antenna mount quite well. So if you want to get rid of the flexible part of the antenna.....

Nice Pictures.
The Smoke Chrome just came into Big Bike Parts yesterday afternoon (first shipment).
We will have some on the way to us today hopefully. The smoke should look good also.
http://store.valueaccessories.net/LuggageRackGoldWingF6B.aspx (http://store.valueaccessories.net/LuggageRackGoldWingF6B.aspx)

Scotrod
03-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I know it would mean a re-assembly,, but,,, Could stainless steel washers be used as shims to alter the 'angle of dangle',,, :shrug:

(I imagine it was a struggle between 'follow the lines/keep it flat' during design,,,)

hiflyer
03-07-2014, 04:50 PM
the rack angles downward
]

Spacers and a grinder to get the right angle.

miramiramira
03-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I think I'd have to grind the mounting points and use spacers to get a flat angle. I'll see if it irritates me before I tackle that task. Or just return it and see what else is out there.

At this point, I'm ok with it the way it is. :icon_rolleyes:

Livewyre
03-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I installed my Show Chrome yesterday and immediately thought the same thing about the slope.
Is it possible the spacers should be swapped front to back?

RickW
03-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I installed my Show Chrome yesterday and immediately thought the same thing about the slope.
Is it possible the spacers should be swapped front to back?

The rack should be parallel with your back lid on the bike. Mine might be just a tiny bit sloped up, from parallel.
The back lid on the bike does slope down a little.

Injun Joe
03-03-2015, 02:50 PM
What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome.

Injun Joe
03-03-2015, 02:51 PM
What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome. I wonder how much chroming the mp3 would cost...

hiflyer
03-03-2015, 05:56 PM
What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome. I wonder how much chroming the mp3 would cost...

If I was guessing, I'd say about 50 bucks.

Ixol Phaane
03-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome. I wonder how much chroming the mp3 would cost...

Now, THAT would probably look DOPE!! :icon_biggrin::yes:

Jimmytee
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I don't know how that rack installs. I just happened to have got a OEM rack and brackets in a deal when I bought my Corbin Seat from a member here. When I install the rack, there are different length spacers and bolts. My rack is level. I didn't know if maybe you had different length spacers as well, but I suppose you would have thought of that if so.:shrug:

bigbird
03-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Now, THAT would probably look DOPE!! :icon_biggrin::yes:

What the hell does looking "dope" mean anyway?

It looks stupid or it looks like drugs? :shrug:

Ixol Phaane
03-03-2015, 06:27 PM
What the hell does looking "dope" mean anyway?

It looks stupid or it looks like drugs? :shrug:

dope
dōp/

adjective - informal

1. very good, awesome, sick
"That chrome rack looks dope!"

:icon_biggrin:

(don't pretend you're that old, bigbird. :icon_wink:)

bigbird
03-03-2015, 06:30 PM
dope
dōp/

adjective - informal

1. very good.
"That chrome rack looks dope!"

:icon_biggrin:

That must be from urban dictionary.
I've never heard that expression before. Is it an American thing?

Ixol Phaane
03-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Is it an American thing?

No doubt.
See also... awesome... sick.

bigbird
03-03-2015, 06:47 PM
No doubt.
See also... awesome... sick.

Awesome, of course. Sick, heard it before, not sure of its origin, sounds silly, never use it.
But dope?

I drive a dope F6B. Sounds ridiculous.

I say, after being pulled over by the police for a spot check, "what do you think of my dope bike? Dope is the greatest. I love dope!"
Officer says, "bend over and spread 'em".
I say, "but Ixol Phaane says dope is the best".
Officer says "who the f#%k is Ixol Phaane? Some doper? Park your awesome F6B and get in the squad car."

PS: Got carried away. No intent to hijack. This forum is dope!

Injun Joe
03-04-2015, 02:38 AM
If I was guessing, I'd say about 50 bucks.

Hmm... if that's all it would be, I might have to give that route some serious consideration.

er.medic
03-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Awesome, of course. Sick, heard it before, not sure of its origin, sounds silly, never use it.
But dope?

I say, after being pulled over by the police for a spot check, "what do you think of my dope bike? Dope is the greatest. I love dope!"
Officer says "who the f#%k is Ixol Phaane? Some doper? Park your awesome F6B and get in the squad car."

funnypost.

1BADF6B
03-04-2015, 05:43 PM
But dope?

How do you drive a motorcycle. Lol I ride mine. Lol had too. AYYYYY

Texas TC
03-04-2015, 07:39 PM
They look a bit too HD for my taste. I can see, however, how functional they would be for mounting and securing touring bags and gear. I would have thought they would have offered them in powder coated black for the F6B. JMHO.